Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using a Frost Bubble on an Excavator on Heiracon

raven2k01

So interesting day.  The player, whom we won't name but is like the villain Voldemort from Harry Potter (a children's book) decided to throw a fit because a Frost Snow Globe was used to defend an Excavator.  After a long discussion, it seemed he wasn't trolling, but was actually that stupid.  Not understanding the slowed effects, why would anyone with half a brain choose not to use a bubble to protect a defensive position on purpose.  He was mad because "can't shoot inward" which is pretty much an idiot response.  Am I alone in this reasoning?  Or is he just a special kind of stupid?  It should be noted that my Frost is using Overextended so my range is 235%.  That gives him plenty of room while also protecting teammates and the Excavator.

Edited by raven2k01

If its a maximum range frost bubble i'd maybe agree with you but generally when infested swarm an excavator and nobody can shoot the enemies and it's destroyed by the time someone can get there it's a bad thing. It's why people prefer vauban or limbo in infested defense.

FFrosts all need to be aware and place bubbles responsibly.

Name shaming is against the rules. You ought to remove the players name from your post.

Also why are you posting in the first place? People have problems all the time and rage all the time in games but most of us don't rush to forums to post about it.

I myself don't really need a frost bubble on trivial things like that until it gets to be high level when the ospreys start to 1-2 shot the thing then it is useful. However it is a bit annoying when you're using an explosive weapon and frost is being a ding with his globe.

There are two sides of every argument, Frost globe has it's pro's and cons.

On rare occasions (mainly when people aren't doing their job about prottecting the thing) having a globe over the Excavator is bad. Following conditions must be satisifed.

1. Excavator is low on health. (Optional)
  2. Enemies have made their way inside and are attacking the Excavator.
  3. For some reason nobody is near enough to save it and boom, Excavator destroyed.

PS: No, Chilling Globe solves nothing. Freezing the enemies only happens on chance, sure it's 50%,but when a horde of enemies walks in then some of them are bound to be unnaffected and on high level only a few are needed to take out an Excavator in seconds. Oh and don't forget that even the frozen enemies can start attacking after only 8 seconds.

Edited by AlphaPHENIX

Excavations are the only mission type where the infested gain a ranged unit (besides moa puke).  The Ospreys that carry the power cells can actually do a lot of damage as their levels increase, so it's a good idea to protect the excavators against them.

Sounds like this guy needs to learn how to play.  When you defend something you stay near it, not run off to chase enemy spawns.  With 4 players and 2 active excavators there should always be someone close enough to the excavators to properly defend them, and the other 2 players should only be leaving them to fetch power cells.  Too bad so many players have the mentality of a dog chasing a garbage truck down the street*

* Spreads loot across the entire map, meaning everyone has to roam around even more to pick it up; reduces your XP gain, as you're not getting any shared affinity; slows down the rate you and the group can kill enemies compared to staying put and waiting for them to come to you, as their spawn locations are moved around to be both in front of, and behind you.

There are no enemies for you to kill on the other side of the map, until you go to the other side of the map (A common misconception among players.  The game is not going to create entities, and additional server load, unless it needs to, ie. you're just about to move into Line of Sight with them.  Don't believe me?  Try looking through locked doors with a scanner.  If it's at a tile edge rather than mid-tile, then the enemies spawn as the door is opened).  Running around is a lot of wasted effort when the enemies would otherwise all spawn in the room next to your objectives (unless it's an exterminate, where you're supposed to progress from entrance to exit and kill everything that's spawned in as you move).

Edited by polarity

Not being able to shoot inside would be an issue, if no one wanted to actually protect the excavator, but since thats the only thing to do in the mission, then I don't see the issue. 

If they are allowing it to get inside the bubble, I rather have them slowed to a crawl and kill them by going inside the bubble, than them instant gibbing the excavator.

I run frost, a lot. I bubble on most excavators, then I babysit my bubble. I only leave it to pick up cells if I end up solo or I'm topping up on energy from everything I've killed around it. Galatine or Dual Zorens have served me well so far. Basically, if you're not babysitting your bubble and defense objective then you're probably not doing it right. Sure, it's not always possible to babysit but recasting the globe when all those infested get in close and give you some really good room to work with.

PS: Terminator Nyx, Radial Loki, Slova, and Rhino are really good option to replace Frost with in late game. Rhino Stomp is just amazing.

Edited by (XB1)Knight of Dis
Additional Comment

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

If its a maximum range frost bubble i'd maybe agree with you but generally when infested swarm an excavator and nobody can shoot the enemies and it's destroyed by the time someone can get there it's a bad thing. It's why people prefer vauban or limbo in infested defense.

FFrosts all need to be aware and place bubbles responsibly.

That is what your melee weapons are for though.... So if you didn't bring a melee weapon that is on you for being stupid.

Aside from all the points above, Frost Globe used on excavators, mobile defense consoles or defense pods are ok, they are doing their job to protect the target. So no matter if I am using explosive weapon or whatever, I cannot say Frost Globe is bad in these situation. I just have to play around it.

BUT... if a Frost put his Globe in interception missions.... then it is @$#%#$%#$^ because there is no target to protect and we need to be able to shoot at enemies from afar, who are  taking over the towers.

Edited by kyori

It also depends on how far are you going and how coordinated you are. If you are in a silent pug, reach higher than 1200, the excavator runs out of power and everybody runs away to try to find a power cell, if you leave for even a few seconds the mobs at that level can destroy the thing in a few hits. As soon as you notice that it's at low health, you will try a long distance shot but won't be able to land it.

Also, the bubble without Chilling Globe is useless against infested. Most of their units do not have projectiles.

That player could have been more polite instead of raging, but at the same time you cannot expect everyone to park in a safe spot to discuss strategies on squad chat in the heat of the battle.

People have different tactics in how hey play, there is no right or wrong answers. Im guessing you were in a public game if so, then this guys should realise that anything goes, and should have been more open in the way people accomplish tasks.

Ive been in games or Survival where new players go and set off all life support as soon as they see it. Its no deal, a nice quick friendly message is all it takes and usually people are accommodating and quite thankful. Crappy messages will create crappy responses ruining experiences. 

15 hours ago, kyori said:

Aside from all the points above, Frost Globe used on excavators, mobile defense consoles or defense pods are ok, they are doing their job to protect the target. So no matter if I am using explosive weapon or whatever, I cannot say Frost Globe is bad in these situation. I just have to play around it.

BUT... if a Frost put his Globe in interception missions.... then it is @$#%#$%#$^ because there is no target to protect and we need to be able to shoot at enemies from afar, who are  taking over the towers.

Unless you are trying to cap, cant bother to kill all enemies and just "GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY PERSONAL SPACE!" and uses the Globe to throw them out.

PS: Most Frosts dont seem to know Freeze destroys the globe.

16 hours ago, kyori said:

In addition to pushing enemies off the "hill" when first cast (potentially helping you capture), Snow Globe actually does protect the towers. It slows enemies to a crawl when they're approaching the tower and trying to interact with the consoles to capture it. This alone would give you plenty of time to reach the tower and protect it even if you were on the opposite end of the map, but Frost can also pop the Globe to knock down all the enemies in the area, interrupting their hack and allowing you to pick them off at your leisure.

In many tiles, you don't have clear line of sight to shoot enemies at the consoles from afar anyway, but may have line of sight to the Globe due to its size, which allows Frost to pop it from afar.

Of course, depending on the location, it can still be a bit annoying if the Frost doesn't stay on top of things, or places Globes in bad spots, because sometimes you do have a clear shot without the Globe. It's a perfectly viable strategy, though.

Edited by AgentSkye

any infested mission where you have to defend something....   Zenistar.... kills pretty much everything even it is take a few ticks, gets rid of the crap on the ground from moa's after a couple seconds...   if the zenistar owner has primed range... a 150ish% range bubble and the aoe of the zenistar are about equal with enough room for the zenistar user to stand in the bubble and land the disk next to excavator.... 

that and if the person playing frost has any kind of brain... they can jump in qik and recast the bubble and push everything away from the excavator.

my only issue seeing a frost on infested excavation usually has more to do with the frost being of the welfare free prime player with no clue what they are doing with the starting size bubble or smaller and they put bubbles up everywhere

no frost bubble = them complaining about it being destroyed 
with frost bubble = complaining about how they cant shoot into it

i just go into the bubble an kill whats inside an be happy there is a frost to help keep it alive :D as you have a safeish spot to shoot things that are outside the bubble before they get int an if they do you have them slowed down to the point it safe enough to slaughter the enemy an keep kickign &#!

Edited by (XB1)ShadowBlood89