Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fellas, are primary snipers bad, dumb, and useless? :p

(PSN)YoKiwi__

I still fail to understand why people bring all these points up as if these rifles were horrible and neigh worthless. Sniper rifles have a very specific use, they do not perform against more than a handful of targets at once, that's just now they work. Low fire rate, high accuracy, high damage per shot weapons.

Comparisons with bows are brought up, bows are not sniper rifles, bows have travel time, and you have to take arrow arc into account. They can work on long distances but they are different beasts altogether. I am not a bow person, but I agree, bows can be effective at all ranges if you know how to compensate for travel time and drop. Sniper rifles here are hitscan, minus the Lanka (Point Strike + Critical Delay + flat 20% critical chance from lowest zoom level gives you a guaranteed crit by the way, and you can red crit if you zoom farther in, and if you have Argon Scope, even better).

If you are firing from a sniping distance it does not matter if your weapon is silent or not, they cant hear it from that range, however enemies will get alerted anyway from seeing a corpse but will not immediately know where you are, so chaining sniper combos is not difficult (unless your squaddies are fighting them up close, in which case they will be fully alerted and erratic anyway).

Snipetron Vandal and Lanka have a hefty innate punch through, yes you will need to spend a metal auger or shred on other rifles, and yes, I agree it would be nice that all sniper rifles have at least 1m punch through out of the box.

All Sniper Rifles except the Vulkar family have 25% base crit chance, which you can bring up to 74.5% with the point strike and critical delay mix, coupled with multishot, you are almost guaranteed to crit at least with one of the two shots. And speaking of multishot, it counts towards your sniper combo as well, so you pretty much are in the first stage of sniper combo almost right out of the gate.

So, what is why I believe sniper rifles are fine for the most part. Yes, punch through on all of them would be nice, maybe a smidge higher base crit chance, or maybe make Argon Scope obtainable again. If you want a powerful sniper rifle that crits every time and does a bucketload of damage every time, Lanka is the thing you want. If you want the comfort of hitscan, a decent damage output and acceptable crit chances, the rest of the rifles are there for the more accessible sniper flavor.

If you want to hit hard at close and distant ranges, get the dread or daikyu, those are pretty beefy but you will need to get used to travel and drop. and dread is a crit beast for those that care about that over everything else.

I am sorry for the long rant, but I felt I needed to throw it out there.

Snipers are extremely powerful but their usage,in my case that is,is limited to boss fights and when i play with slow Nova on some bigger maps like excavation.We shouldn't neglect the fact that riven mods are a thing now and with some good stats on it you can one shot most of enemies.Generaly all snipers are good,some are just simply better than others.Along with Vectis P and Lanka, Rubico should not be left out to mention.With PoE update coming I think snipers will have bright future altough DE mentioned some dmg falloff according to range.

11 hours ago, VadiseReikaz said:

I still fail to understand why people bring all these points up as if these rifles were horrible and neigh worthless. Sniper rifles have a very specific use, they do not perform against more than a handful of targets at once, that's just now they work. Low fire rate, high accuracy, high damage per shot weapons.

Comparisons with bows are brought up, bows are not sniper rifles, bows have travel time, and you have to take arrow arc into account. They can work on long distances but they are different beasts altogether. I am not a bow person, but I agree, bows can be effective at all ranges if you know how to compensate for travel time and drop. Sniper rifles here are hitscan, minus the Lanka (Point Strike + Critical Delay + flat 20% critical chance from lowest zoom level gives you a guaranteed crit by the way, and you can red crit if you zoom farther in, and if you have Argon Scope, even better).

If you are firing from a sniping distance it does not matter if your weapon is silent or not, they cant hear it from that range, however enemies will get alerted anyway from seeing a corpse but will not immediately know where you are, so chaining sniper combos is not difficult (unless your squaddies are fighting them up close, in which case they will be fully alerted and erratic anyway).

Snipetron Vandal and Lanka have a hefty innate punch through, yes you will need to spend a metal auger or shred on other rifles, and yes, I agree it would be nice that all sniper rifles have at least 1m punch through out of the box.

All Sniper Rifles except the Vulkar family have 25% base crit chance, which you can bring up to 74.5% with the point strike and critical delay mix, coupled with multishot, you are almost guaranteed to crit at least with one of the two shots. And speaking of multishot, it counts towards your sniper combo as well, so you pretty much are in the first stage of sniper combo almost right out of the gate.

So, what is why I believe sniper rifles are fine for the most part. Yes, punch through on all of them would be nice, maybe a smidge higher base crit chance, or maybe make Argon Scope obtainable again. If you want a powerful sniper rifle that crits every time and does a bucketload of damage every time, Lanka is the thing you want. If you want the comfort of hitscan, a decent damage output and acceptable crit chances, the rest of the rifles are there for the more accessible sniper flavor.

If you want to hit hard at close and distant ranges, get the dread or daikyu, those are pretty beefy but you will need to get used to travel and drop. and dread is a crit beast for those that care about that over everything else.

• You shouldn't use Critical delay

• We shouldn't have to use 2 crit mods to get them to have a decent crit rate as well

They're okay but not fine, I can tell you that.

Edited by helghastgunner

Why does this have the Conclave tag without being in the Conclave section...?

14 hours ago, VadiseReikaz said:

Here, here! IME, they pair best with a mod (Speed Holster or Streamlined Form) or warframe abilities that increase weapon swap speed. They're, generally speaking, low RoF weapons with high burst damage. The 1m punch through (for non-Lanka snipers) is really the only closest thing a desperate QoL change they need, along with a way of damping out scope sway (could just become stable after a second or so of continuous aiming).

On 23.09.2017 at 7:49 AM, Redthirst said:

Snipers are pretty bad simply because it's a horde shooter with no balance, so snipers don't get a significant damage advantage over other options, which makes them pretty much pointless. Hopefully, Plains of Eidolon will make them better due to larger distances and damage drop-off that is going to be introduced.

Consider the fact that you can cover 300 meters in like 10 seconds, I doubt it will make a difference. Hell, we don't even know if enemies will reliably spawn at ranges that would actually make snipers advantageous.

Snipers need a lot of overkill damage and a way to make that overkill damage somehow valuable against hordes of weaklings, most other weapons have the advantage of ease of use, consistency and are decent against crowds, snipers have pretty much none of that.

15 hours ago, VadiseReikaz said:

Theres one gun ingame what completely invalidates everything what the sniper have to offer.

The Opticor.

High damage, pinpoint accuracy, hitscan, innate punchtrought, good status and crit chance, slightly more crit damage, no scope sway, no hipfire accuracy problems.

Without a riven it can easily reach 8k damage per shot.

*cracks knuckles*

Let's look at this properly

Bows' advantages, when compared to Sniper Rifles:

• Silent
  • Reliable critical hits (massively important for HvT-focused weaponry)
  • Body ragdoll (can kill multiple enemies in a line)
  • Innate punchthrough on fully charged shots
  • Quick reload (Vectis series is comparably good though)
  • No scope, thus also low zoom and no visual obstruction, well suited for most combat ranges of Warframe
  • No aiming sway
  • No reduced hipfire accuracy
  • While they have chargetimes, they are fast, and benefit doubly from RoF mods

Bows' disadvantages, when compared to Sniper Rifles:

• Arcing projectiles
  • Have to reload between each shot
  • No "combo" damage
  • No "scope" bonus
  • No zoom, thus ill suited for long range combat
  • Need to charge shots for optimal performance (even if the chargetimes are generally quick)

Sniper Rifles' advantages, when compared to Bows:

• Hitscan (exception for Lanka, but it's plenty fast anyway)
  • Have multiple shots available before requiring a reload (Base Vectis as an exception)
  • Can build up higher damage via their "combo" mechanic (although the window for this is VERY brief, and is crippled by very lengthy reloads)
  • Have some bonuses for aiming (only really noticeable effects on Lanka and Rubico though)
  • Scopes allow for longrange shots at variable distances (though only a small advantage, and is crippled by aimsway anyway)
  • No chargetimes (Lanka as exception)

Sniper Rifles' disadvantages, when compared to Bows:

• Alarming sound
  • Unreliable critical hits (This means you can end up requiring ~5 bullets to kill ONE HvT target, instead of just 1 bullet, thus occassionally removing their magazine advantage...)
  • No body ragdoll
  • Innate punchthrough only on 2 weapon series (Snipetron and Lanka)
  • Long reloads (Vectis and arguably Lanka as exceptions, however, the Vectis weapons have tiny magazine sizes and the Lanka has to charge its shots)
  • Scopes, thus poorly suited for shortrange combat
  • Aiming sway
  • Reduced hipfire accuracy

So yeah, if you look at the overall picture, Snipers are downright HORRIBLE weapons due to having very severe disadvantages and having mostly weak advantages. Not to mention, many of their advantages are severely crippled by their disadvantages anyway (and thus rendered somewhat moot). A great example would be their long range zoom capabilities (a weak advantage) countered by their aim sway (a really crippling disadvantages).

Thus, with those things in mind, this is what I'd propose as buffs and changes for Snipers:

• Reliable critchances with Point Strike alone, i.e. base 40+% crit chance (at least for all the "upgrade" variants, like Primes/Wraiths etc)
  • Innate punchthrough on all Snipers (even if just a tiny bit)
  • Shortened reloads (I mean, they have small magazines anyway, no need to doubledip in their disadvantages)
  • Scopesway removed
  • Hipfire accuracy made near perfect again
  • Scopebonuses removed (to compensate for the other buffs)
  • Combomechanic removed (to further compensate for the other buffs)

Now, with these changes, how would Bows and Snipers compare?

• Silent
  • No scope, thus also low zoom and no visual obstruction, well suited for most combat ranges of Warframe

• Arcing projectile
  • Need to charge shots for optimal performance (even if the chargetimes are generally quick)

• Have multiple shots available before requiring a reload (Base Vectis as an exception)
  • Scopes allow for longrange shots at variable distances (though only a small advantage)

• Alarming sound
  • No body ragdoll
  • Mediumlong reloads

For numerical examples, look here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/790295-some-love-for-the-semiauto-rifles-and-snipers/

NOW they would look more fair to compare, don't you agreed?
Bows would remain better suited for stealth and smaller areas (more "agile", so to speak), while Snipers would definitely be better for medium+long distances and have quicker follow-up shots before their reload kicks in.

Edited by Azamagon

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

*cracks knuckles*

Let's look at this properly

• Silent
  • Reliable critical hits (massively important for HvT-focused weaponry)
  • Innate punchthrough on fully charged shots
  • No aiming sway
  • No reduced hipfire accuracy

• Arcing projectiles
  • No "combo" damage
  • No "scope" bonus

• Can build up higher damage via their "combo" mechanic (although the window for this is VERY brief, and is crippled by very lengthy reloads)
  • Have some bonuses for aiming (only really noticeable effects on Lanka and Rubico though)
  • Scopes allow for longrange shots at variable distances (though only a small advantage, and is crippled by aimsway anyway)

• Alarming sound
  • Unreliable critical hits (This means you can end up requiring ~5 bullets to kill ONE HvT target, instead of just 1 bullet, thus occassionally removing their magazine advantage...)
  • No body ragdoll
  • Innate punchthrough only on 2 weapon series (Snipetron and Lanka)
  • Long reloads (Vectis and arguably Lanka as exceptions, however, the Vectis weapons have tiny magazine sizes and the Lanka has to charge its shots)
  • Aiming sway
  • Reduced hipfire accuracy

So yeah, if you look at the overall picture, Snipers are downright HORRIBLE weapons due to having very severe disadvantages and having mostly weak advantages. Not to mention, many of their advantages are severely crippled by their disadvantages anyway (and thus rendered somewhat moot). A great example would be their long range zoom capabilities (a weak advantage) countered by their aim sway (a really crippling disadvantages).

Thus, with those things in mind, this is what I'd propose as buffs and changes for Snipers:

• Reliable critchances with Point Strike alone, i.e. base 40+% crit chance (at least for all the "upgrade" variants, like Primes/Wraiths etc)
  • Innate punchthrough on all Snipers (even if just a tiny bit)
  • Shortened reloads (I mean, they have small magazines anyway, no need to doubledip in their disadvantages)
  • Scopesway removed
  • Hipfire accuracy made near perfect again
  • Scopebonuses removed (to compensate for the other buffs)
  • Combomechanic removed (to further compensate for the other buffs)

Now, with these changes, how would Bows and Snipers compare?

• Silent

• Arcing projectile

• Scopes allow for longrange shots at variable distances (though only a small advantage)

• Alarming sound
  • No body ragdoll
  • Mediumlong reloads

For numerical examples, look here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/790295-some-love-for-the-semiauto-rifles-and-snipers/

NOW they would look more fair to compare, don't you agreed?
Bows would remain better suited for stealth and smaller areas (more "agile", so to speak), while Snipers would definitely be better for medium+long distances and have quicker follow-up shots before their reload kicks in.

How about something less universal?

Low magsize snipers get high damage, high crit chance and damage and big punchtrought. 

Example:

Sniper X

Damage: 400

magsize: 3

firerate: 1/s

50% crit chance

x3.0 crit damage

3m punchtrought

Snipers with big magazines get avarage damage, fast reload speed, fast firerate max 30% crit and high status status chance.

Example:

Sniper Y

Damage: 150

magsize: 10

firerate: 3/s

30% crit chance

x2 crit damage

50% status chance

0.5m punchtrought

This gives us a high priority target cleaner and a horde shooter. Obviously the scope sway is reduced and the hipfire accuracy nerf is removed from them.

5 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Low magsize snipers get high damage, high crit chance and damage and big punchtrought. 

Example:

Sniper X

50% crit chance

x3.0 crit damage

3m punchtrought

Snipers with big magazines get avarage damage, fast reload speed, fast firerate max 30% crit and high status status chance.

Example:

Sniper Y

30% crit chance

x2 crit damage

50% status chance

0.5m punchtrought

This gives us a high priority target cleaner and a horde shooter. Obviously the scope sway is reduced and the hipfire accuracy nerf is removed from them.

This is something I somewhat tried to do in the linked thread, but not in such extreme measures. Snipetrons was the Sniper Rifles I suggested to make more "spammy". However, the reason I didn't make such drastic numerical changes was because I wanted to keep them as Sniper Rifles, not Battle Rifles with rare ammo. HOWEVER, I still think that you are on to something; Most Snipers feel relatively similar, so making a more "extreme" type Sniper Rifle (meaning, a more Battle Rifle-esque one) is actually not a bad idea.

Edited by Azamagon

3 hours ago, Azamagon said:

This is something I somewhat tried to do in the linked thread, but not in such extreme measures. Snipetrons was the Sniper Rifles I suggested to make more "spammy". However, the reason I didn't make such drastic numerical changes was because I wanted to keep them as Sniper Rifles, not Battle Rifles with rare ammo. HOWEVER, I still think that you are on to something; Most Snipers feel relatively similar, so making a more "extreme" type Sniper Rifle (meaning, a more Battle Rifle-esque one) is actually not a bad idea.

I took the idea from the borderlands series where each sniper was distinguishable from another one. My two personal favorite snipers were the ones with large mag, fast firerate and acceptable damage to clear out hordes and the hard hitting big pump-action guns to take out the big targets.

Currently the only unique snipers i can think of is the vectris and the lanka, the others are the same guns with varied stats.

2 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

I took the idea from the borderlands series where each sniper was distinguishable from another one. My two personal favorite snipers were the ones with large mag, fast firerate and acceptable damage to clear out hordes and the hard hitting big pump-action guns to take out the big targets.

Currently the only unique snipers i can think of is the vectris and the lanka, the others are the same guns with varied stats.

Got to got to got to have an elephant gun sniper (redorkulous damage/crit, no scope at all). 

Get rid of or severely reduce the scope sway or at least make it reasonable. Do frames have Parkinson's or something when using a sniper or something? I often just stick to the first zoom level for long range sniping since I find it to be easier to hit head shots then trying to use the highest level.  Also remove the dropping accuracy when using hip fire. This is a terrible way to try to get players to use the scope. Improve the combo counters and the scope mechanics to encourage players to use it.

Do those things and snipers would be a lot better just from that.

21 hours ago, JuicyButthurt said:

Consider the fact that you can cover 300 meters in like 10 seconds, I doubt it will make a difference. Hell, we don't even know if enemies will reliably spawn at ranges that would actually make snipers advantageous.

Snipers need a lot of overkill damage and a way to make that overkill damage somehow valuable against hordes of weaklings, most other weapons have the advantage of ease of use, consistency and are decent against crowds, snipers have pretty much none of that.

I mean, it could matter if you came across enemies that are much farther away than 300 meters. But of course it doesn't, because it's DE, so snipers still have a drop-off. Maybe we can convince them to give snipers an actually impressive range? Otherwise -yeah, they will likely remain weak even in Plains.

18 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Oh the things I'd do for a Lyuda in warframe..

1 hour ago, iceywolf said:

What are you talking about? Snipers are great in conclave. 

Vectis/prime are usually 2 shots to kill against medium frames, rubico will always remove all shield. Lanka is pretty much the only weapon that is trash. 

The OP isn't referring to Conclave. The post was simply moved to the wrong section.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:11 PM, TaylorsContraction said:

So no, doesn't need buffs, need QoL changes. Reduced scope sway, no hip=fire accuracy drop, change combo counter mechanic.

Possibly add innate punch-through for all snipers.

Possibly allow us to customize the zoom levels ourselves.

DE is doing an update on snipers so we will need to wait to see what ships with PoE.

baasically all this

sway was a needless "compensation nerf" when they reworked snipers.
and i wouldnt mind a hip fire being perfect just remove scope bonuses if you do so.
snipers dont need a count down. make the bonus accuracy based. (so less miss hsots higher bonus)
punch would be GREAT. i mean a hand drawn bow has 12m of bunch but a high caliber sniperrifle cant even pierce a piece a tiny hand shield
or at the very least remove the bonuses scaling on scope levels. (I LOVED base vectis cuz of its med range scope but GAWD Vectis P forcing me to 12x for max output? come on)

ya im hoping the PoE buff is more than just the "reduced dmg falloff"

(also why is this thread transfered to the conclave and not to weapons? this is talking about snipers in general. not snipers in PVP) someone mentions "snipers are fine in conclave" thread gets moved to the conclave thread...Come on guys. at least move it to the weapons thread?

Edited by Ordosan

On 9/25/2017 at 10:20 AM, Fallen_Echo said:

Example:

Sniper X

50% crit chance

x3.0 crit damage

3m punchtrought

Example:

Sniper Y

30% crit chance

x2 crit damage

50% status chance

0.5m punchtrought

As a vectis fan..this is lovely, though you didn't mention the status chance for low mag snipers.

4 hours ago, helghastgunner said:

As a vectis fan..this is lovely, though you didn't mention the status chance for low mag snipers.

Yeah and i forgot reload too.

Reload: 1s

Status chance: 30%

High mag snipers:

Reload: 2s

This could surely bring some appreciation to most snipers.

The lanka could get a unique treatment where you overcharge the barrel with extra 10 ammo to create a hitscan long-range thunder strike (x5 damage) with a small guaranteed electric proccing aoe of 2m and with this added im sure sniper would finally leave those dusty fodder shelves.

Edited by Fallen_Echo