The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New style of Corpus weaponry?

(PSN)LeBlingKing

Ever since The Index, I've been noticing a whole lot of style changes in recent Corpus weaponry. 

Usually, Corpus weapons are based upon a singular subject, with multiple parts combining to become one working machine.

CorpusEnergyRifleProva8point2CrpBFGDECorpusHandCannon

Lately, it seems the weapons we are getting are putting a LOT of emphasis on the "multiple parts" section of their usual design, to the point of ridding the design of its usual sleek form, and more of a blocky Legoesque look. Not that I'm complaining. 

LenzCrpScopePistolCrpHammer220?cb=20170119002703

Any idea why this might be the case?

An in-lore plausibility, is that the first gen weapons were what the Corpus have used for ages after the fall of the Orokin; cheap and simple to make, and were enough to deal with Grineer encroachments.

Now that Salad V has instigated so much and the Tenno are awake, causing havok, new arms manufacturers likely have been stepping into the new marketplace and are developing new weapons to better deal with the evolving situation in the Sol system.

Apart from just them changing it because they can, a lore wise explanation probably would involve that they are developed by different corpus groups. We already know lore wise that Alad V and Anyo Corp have a variety of different products they sell and they they could in theory have different design styles along with countless other corpus. The Gas City Tileset also shares similarities in terms of colour palette and some of the shapes. The Porta Corpus armour is also the same way which sort of combines traits from that Tileset and of new corpus weapons.

3 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

An in-lore plausibility, is that the first gen weapons were what the Corpus have used for ages after the fall of the Orokin; cheap and simple to make, and were enough to deal with Grineer encroachments.

Now that Salad V has instigated so much and the Tenno are awake, causing havok, new arms manufacturers likely have been stepping into the new marketplace and are developing new weapons to better deal with the evolving situation in the Sol system.

So basically Adapt, Evolve, and Overcome? Seems possible.

Except the new designs have only shown up after the Index with the introduction of Javlok's older brother. Ferrox

Were they just in development for a long time, or is the new style rather recent?

Edited by (PS4)LeBlingKing69

Its a series. Just like the tenno weapons.

Soma/ Akstiletto/ Dual Raza. or Boltace/ Akbolto/ Boltor

The next group will look slightly different as well I'm sure with some overarching similarities. Its about time corpus had better sets, it was becoming a homogenized bore.

Edited by Firetempest

The Sonicor is more inline with the designs of newer corpus weapons which was released long before the Index was around. So it really does not have much to do with the Index. It is more than likely they are going based off internal inspiration. The Grineer have weapons that have various designs while in general all similar they have subsets that are reminiscent of grineer Tilesets the Harpak being like the Underwater Set, the Javlok being like the Shipyards, The Zarr being like the Kuva fortress, it stands to reason they would theme corpus weapons around their tilesets as well, however since Most corpus sets look nearly the same you only really have the Ship/outpost style being the older one and the Gas City the newer one which as mentioned before is more like the newer corpus weapons.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

So basically Adapt, Evolve, and Overcome? Seems possible.

Except the new designs have only shown up after the Index with the introduction of Javlok's older brother. Ferrox

Were they just in development for a long time, or is the new style rather recent?

It's possible that the gear used by Nef's Brokers has been seen as exotic and/or novelty items by the Corpus who watch and bet on those games. And they look expensive to maintain compared to the ones used by Crewmen.

And so Tenno involvement to help the Myconans, allowed us to gain access to building our own from what's been used against us, there.

The Arca series could be a new Lab that has emerged to compete with Luxor products, which could be one of the dominant Corpus Syndicates as there should be multiple ones operating.

I hope the devs can get into more of this in future Corpus quests and that new system for dealing with other organizations.

8 hours ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

Ever since The Index, I've been noticing a whole lot of style changes in recent Corpus weaponry. 

Usually, Corpus weapons are based upon a singular subject, with multiple parts combining to become one working machine.

CorpusEnergyRifleProva8point2CrpBFGDECorpusHandCannon

Lately, it seems the weapons we are getting are putting a LOT of emphasis on the "multiple parts" section of their usual design, to the point of ridding the design of its usual sleek form, and more of a blocky Legoesque look. Not that I'm complaining. 

LenzCrpScopePistolCrpHammer220?cb=20170119002703

Any idea why this might be the case?

Someone graduated to Legos and K'nex once they outgrew blocks and simple geometric shapes.

I guess shape-changing nanotech weapons are next.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

What others said about different manufacturers and whatnot.

But also in general, DE likes to do things that they've never done before, they like to make intricately designed weapons these days, always with gimmicks of some type. It only makes sense that their weapon designs would deviate from the simplicity of their old stuff, for better or worse. I like Corpus design in general, but I was especially a fan of weapon designs like the Dera and Prova (Although maybe that's also because the idea of using the same weapons enemies utilize appeals to me~)

Now if only the Corpus could have just as much variety in their enemy designs. The idea of making variations on an existing template (Eg; the MOA design or Zanuka design) fits the factory built nature of Corpus Robotics, but it's...kinda lazy from a game design standpoint. And just makes it all the more clear that DE favors Grineer designs over everything else.

Edited by Zandermanith222