Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... what if Warframe shuts down?

Tellakey

1 minute ago, Nation_X said:

You are spending on pixels, if you thought that any was a waste you would never buy any game ever

Nah that's just a technicality. Physically it's pixels. But the worth these pixels have topples the technicality. 

2 minutes ago, ShadowWalker013 said:

So if you have, say, 200 hours. You spent 50$ when you reached hour 100. so 50$ for 100 hours of game time which is 0.50$ per hour. A movie costs, we'll say 10$ and last 2.5 hrs. thats 4$ an hour. The problem is that people look upon gaming with a stigma, even though the people that go to the movies every week spend more than we do.

That's a fun topic :D

I feel the reason people put a stigma on video games is that they see it as a crude waste of time spent in front of a screen doing silly things many times deemed vulgar (GTA for example). It's so easy to see something as what it is on the surface and completely choose willful ignorance when it comes to the psychological need it provides. I could say the same for movie-goers. All you do is give money to sit in a room and watch a stupid story comprised of a couple of scenes. What matters is what you get out of these hobbies. In my case, like most people I think, gaming is a getaway from boring reality. I use other methods: books, movies, writing, music, etc... 

Honestly... This is something that you'll have to worry about for every multiplayer game that requires an internet connection now. When no one's willing and able to hold the game up or no one wants to play anymore it's going to end... Much like how EA sent cease and desist letters to Project Revive, a community that served up old battlefield games like 2142 and Battlefield II, which EA isn't exactly trying to keep alive for themselves right now... So for now those games are dead.

Edited by AXCrusnik

11 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Honestly... This is something that you'll have to worry about for every multiplayer game now. When no one's willing and able to hold the game up or no one wants to play anymore it's going to end... Much like how EA sent cease and desist letters to Project Revive, a community that served up old battlefield games like 2142 and Battlefield II, which EA isn't exactly trying to keep alive for themselves right now... So for now those games are dead.

It's a bit different. The games you mention had a risky premise, being tied directly to the world's most infamous gaming company. Second, even in the field of online gaming Warframe comes up on top in terms of originality and the maintained passion on part of the people working on it. I remember so many old online games which are now nowhere to be found. The thing is, those games sucked on an objective basis. They were mostly cookie-cutter, imported gimmicks from all around the world. To ensure a game's survival you, not to mention an online game, you must constantly sustain it and always keep it fresh. 

DE does most things right, especially when it comes to business models. The game is practically free-to-play to the utter end. There's almost nothing you cannot accomplish by slowly investing time in it. Gameplay is fun (with the exception of grinding) and ever-evolving, the plot is engaging and tip-top in quality and voice acting. It's no wonder so many people have a hard time believing how it's free-to-play.

So, for a game on the level of Warframe, a shutdown is less of a concern, but is still a possibility. It's a couple of levels above the average MMORPjunk which is always on the verge of collapse. That's why I think many people choose to engage in it on a social level and on the forums. We all hold faith that such a high-quality production will last for a long time, so we feel comfortable investing in it.

Edited by Tellakey

It's a game. Never spend in it what you can't truly afford to lose. If they shut down simply find another game to change to. 

If you are already stressing about the purchases you have made while the game is still running maybe you should reevaluate your IRL spending and money situation..... 

7 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

So, for a game on the level of Warframe, a shutdown is less of a concern, but is still a possibility. It's a couple of levels above the average MMORPjunk which is always on the verge of collapse. That why I think many people choose to engage in it on a social level and on the forums. We all hold faith that such a high-quality production will last for a long time, so we feel comfortable investing in it.

Personally I think it's inevitable that even warframe will shutdown. The question is, how long? There's no questioning Warframes quality and that DE has no intentions of letting it die out any time soon, but eventually, somethings gonna give. Either something happens to DE, they run out of ideas, the gaming landscape changes, the community gets bored or some combination of those things will lead to it's demise. The important part is, like everything you love, cherish it while it lasts.

Edited by AXCrusnik

Just now, AXCrusnik said:

Personally I think it's inevitable that even warframe will shutdown. The question is, how long? There's no questioning Warframes quality and that DE has no intentions of letting it die out any time soon, but eventually, somethings gonna give. Either something happens to DE, they run out of ideas, the gaming landscape changes, the community gets bored or some combination of those things will lead to it's demise.

Agreed.

57 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

No they dont, Because the real investment of gaming is the experience you get from it, which is over the second you put the game down or leave your computer, so while you may be disappointed at the outcome you still have the memories and feelings you had while enjoying the game. Which is ultimately the whole point of playing a computer game. :D

Just now, Gokuofuin said:

No they dont, Because the real investment of gaming is the experience you get from it, which is over the second you put the game down or leave your computer, so while you may be disappointed at the outcome you still have the memories and feelings you had while enjoying the game. Which is ultimately the whole point of playing a computer game. :D

The reward is the journey itself.

Welllllllll hmmmmmmm I dunno about that last part. But yeah, we addressed that point here.

I'm not particularly worried. Warframe has always been steadily growing,  and at the moment it's the strongest it's ever been.

If you truly care about the longevity of Warframe, start investing in our newer players. If you see someone asking for help in region/recruiting chat, take the time out of your day to help them out, because you just saved one player that might've just quit if nobody helped them.

New players are our future, don't shun them. If you see a Frost who keeps spamming his globes and is unaware of how to pop them, don't start bickering and flaming him, teach him. 

Our greatest strength in Warframe, and it's staying power, is because we have a community so unlike others in that it is inherently much friendlier than other games.

Having never spent a cent of my own money on the game but planning to "purchase" it in the form of a symbolic 50$, I don't feel it the same way you do. But, as this was THE first online game I ever played where I finally became entrenched in the community to the point of coming up with a public 298 page idea page, I do have SOME understanding. In my digital travels, I have found no place else like Warframe. I know of no other games where fan-concepts became a digital reality, where we get to see our overlords face-to-face and hear them speak about their game and ideas.

Unlike with Mass Effect and Dragon Age where I stood at the precipice, waved goodbye to the franchises with love in my heart, and then got into my escape pod and launched towards the Sol-Origin System, I. . . I don't have any back-up franchises to escape to when Warframe falls.

Might need to ask around when the time comes and I'm stacking up the art from my artisan friends to save.

2 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

Have you ever had this thought? How do you feel about it?

I'll raise you one: What if Steam shuts down?

Just now, Tellakey said:

Ahh... then what? Do you refer to TennoGen? Because otherwise, Warframe is not dependent on steam.

Well that would be a part of it. I don't know about you but I've spent an awful lot more money on Steam, a Digital Rights Management platform, than I have on Warframe as an individual game. Some day all of this stuff is going to go away. Some day all of us are going to go away. Worrying about if X service shuts down isn't really worth your time. Enjoy it while it lasts. You're better off that way.

1 minute ago, Mints said:

Well that would be a part of it. I don't know about you but I've spent an awful lot more money on Steam, a Digital Rights Management platform, than I have on Warframe as an individual game. Some day all of this stuff is going to go away. Some day all of us are going to go away. Worrying about if X service shuts down isn't really worth your time. Enjoy it while it lasts. You're better off that way.

I'm on my way there, thanks :)

Would you believe it if I said that I'm more at peace with the fact that I won't exist in a couple of years (hopefully) than I am with the fact that Warframe is gonna shut down? Sounds weird but makes sense to me. If I'm dead I'm dead, but as long as I live I want my investments to remain relevant. 

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

I'm on my way there, thanks :)

Would you believe it if I said that I'm more at peace with the fact that I won't exist in a couple of years (hopefully) than I am with the fact that Warframe is gonna shut down? Sounds weird but makes sense to me. If I'm dead I'm dead, but as long as I live I want my investments to remain relevant. 

Finding comfort in the idea of death is a rare skill, but yes I would believe it. Finding meaning in death can be much more easy than finding meaning in life, but to seek death because the comforts of your life have fallen away is an easy trap to fall into. I would say that when you fear the things you have in your life might go away then you should find more things to have in your life, but then that also means you will have more to lose. It's quite a precarious thought process.

I'll hold dear of the memories I've made within warframe, but I'll move on, like every online game I've put money into. The only online games that I've ever resented so much were pay to win games, and I've played quite a few of them; started out casually, but ended up being pay hundreds or thousands to win; but not warframe! One of the best online game I've spent my money on with no regrets! Sure it'll suck if warframe ever shuts down, but like I said, i'll move on; the investment spent on warframe is well worth it to me.

2 minutes ago, Mints said:

Finding comfort in the idea of death is a rare skill, but yes I would believe it. Finding meaning in death can be much more easy than finding meaning in life, but to seek death because the comforts of your life have fallen away is an easy trap to fall into. I would say that when you fear the things you have in your life might go away then you should find more things to have in your life, but then that also means you will have more to lose. It's quite a precarious thought process.

Ohhh getting philosophical, are we?

I definitely have more going for me in life than a video game. Thing is, to prioritize quality over quantity with my time I have to focus more on real life matters and only slightly on the video game aspect of it. Warframe happens to fill that niche in the video game department that has only enough space for one game. Therefore, as the only game, I have set aside time to play, it is natural that I will invest more emotional resources into it, hence it becomes more valuable and so more expensive in case of a loss.

Many people here got the idea that Warframe is my life. It's actually the contrary. Specifically because I want to focus on real life matters more than gaming, I need the little gaming that I do do to be of high quality. Instead of drifting from game to game I need to settle down on one game that satisfies my standards and will allow me to invest in it alone what I would invest in many other games. 

I other words - I play only one game, so I'm making sure it's the right one.