Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old vs New: Warframes

(XBOX)Avant Solace

This is just a bit of data collecting on a whim. Basically I've come up with some categories relating to different aspects of the game. I want to see what frames shine the most and what get left in the void. Hopefully this can expand into a larger "balance" thread.

Select 1 to 3 warframes that you find are best for the situations. I will edit the main post as data comes in. You don't need to fill them all out, but the more data the better. Here are the categories:

Overall DPS: 8 Mesa, 3 Chroma, 1 Octavia, 1 Ember, 2 Banshee, 3 Saryn, 1 Equinox, 1 Mag

Overall Suvivability: 4 Inaros, 4 Chroma, 1 Mesa, 1 Rhino, 3 Valkyr, 2 Limbo, 3 Wukong, 4 Nidus, 3 Trinity, 1 Harrow

Stealth Capability: 8 Loki, 9 Ivara, 2 Octavia, 1 Banshee, 1 Ash

Defense Capability: 8 Frost, 6 Gara, 5 Limbo, 1 Trinity, 1 Oberon, 1 Harrow, 1 Nezha, 1 Zephyr

Single Target DPS: 3 Mesa, 8 Chroma, 3 Banshee, 1 Harrow, 1 Rhino, 4 Ash, 1 Equinox, 1 Valkyr, 1 Mag

Crowd Control Capability: 7 Loki, 7 Nova, 1 Banshee, 4 Limbo, 5 Vauban, 1 Nekros, 1 Nezha, 3 Rhino, 4 Nyx. 1 Volt, 1 Frost

Versatility: 2 Mesa, 2 Octavia, 1 Banshee, 2 Chroma, 1 Nova, 2 Gara, 2 Oberon, 1 Equinox, 2 Harrow, 1 Excalibur, 1 Saryn

Now lets see who the Warframe allstars are.

Edited by (XB1)alchemPyro
Additions

Overall DPS: Mesa is great with Peacemakers for me.

Overall Survivability: I find Inaros to definitely be the best tank, as he can very easily replenish massive chunks of HP despite already having massive armour and HP pools. Chroma and Mesa are also good but without some side healing they have trouble.

Stealth: Loki is probably best overall, but Ivara is good for Spy runs, which are probably the most prominent use of stealth.

Defense: Frost. Duh. 

Single Target DPS: Probably still Mesa, staying on one target really ramps up the damage boost insanely.

CC: Disarm Loki is fun and easy, Nova is probably the best for large areas, Resonating Quake for when you want enemies to just stop moving.

Versatility: IMO Mesa, she has great damage and a very solid tank ability, as well as some short-range but very effective CC to make up for the shortfalls in her tankiness.

Overall DPS: Mesa, Chroma or i guess Octavia cause mallet is ridiculous apparently

Overall Survivability: Inaros or ironclad-shrapnel-Rhino... or valkyr i guess

Stealth: Loki, tho this is cause im too lazy to get and try octavia

Single Target DPS: Mesa, unless its an enemy that her peacemakers cant shoot at, then chroma

CC: Limbo cause im a selfish prick, or booben cause booben

Versatility: even tho i dont have her id say Octavia wins this one

Edited by TKDancer

Overall DPS: Ember. People say her damage falls off past 50. They clearly never use Flash aaccelerant or weapons modded for fire. Banshee cus Sonar.

Overall survivability:  Valkyr or chroma.

Stealth: Ivara or a good Banshee.

Defense capability: frost. No reason needed.

Single target DPS: Banshee or Chroma.

CC: damn near everyone. I'd say the top would be booben or disarm loki. For a combo I'd say Creeping Terrify Nekros and Slowva. Bonus damage, reduced armor, frozen in time enemies without the obnoxiousness of bullets being stopped or the rift.

Versatility: Banshee, one of my favorite frames and she can easily go anywhere and Chroma a tank and dps who can pretty much get away with anything without much effort.

Edited by maj.death

Overall DPS: Mesa

Overall Survivability: Limbo because of obvious reasons

Stealth Capability: Loki or Ivara 

Defense Capability: If you mean defending an objective then there aren't any better choices than Gara or Frost realistically

Single Target DPS: Chroma by a mile

Crowd Control Capability: Nova, Limbo or Loki

Versatility: Mesa or Nova, I came to this conclusion because of how versatile they're kits are. If built correctly mesa and nova are both capable of massive CC, huge damage potential, a fair bit of tankiness through skills, and if all used in conjunction then ridiculous survivability. I feel like I could take then into any mission mode and do well

Overall DPS: Saryn out-damages every other frame in this category by a large margin. Next best would be a Day form Equinox.

Overall survivabilty: Inaros and Wukong

Stealth: Ivara and Loki

Defense capabilty: Frost, Gara, Limbo

Single Target DPS: Chroma, Harrow, and Banshee with weapons. Any of the Exalted weapon frames for straight ability DPS.

CC: Hard CC: Nezha, Rhino, Limbo. Soft CC:Nova, Nyx, Loki.

Versatility: Too subjective to really say.

Overall DPS: My vote's gonna have to be Banshee here. That 5x unmodified damage multiplier is ungodly. And it applies to your whole team. Which means that Banshee can add more overall DPS to your team than any other Warframe. 

Overall Survivability: Wukong or Limbo.

Stealth Capability: Ivara beats Loki here IMO.

Defense Capability: Gara, Frost, or Limbo.

Single Target DPS: Still Banshee. 

Crowd Control Capability: I understand why people are saying Nova, but I'm actually going to have to go with Rhino. Unless they nerfed him in my last haitus. Yeah, Nova slows enemies really hard, but Rhino straight-up stops them.

Versatility: I'm going to have to go with Gara. She can tank, CC, nuke, shield allies, and create a defensive perimeter comparable to Snow Globe. 

Edited by Gurpgork

Overall DPS: Mesa, Chroma, 

Overall Suvivability: Wukong, Inaros, Nidus, all stealth Frames, 

Stealth Capability: Ivara, Octavia

Defense Capability: by defense you mean Tank or defense a target. If that's the case then Limbo, Trin, Oberon, Harrow, Nezha, 

Single Target DPS: Chroma, Rhino, 

Crowd Control Capability Limbo, Rhino, Volt, Frost, Vauban, Nova, 

Versatility Octavia

Innnteresting... okay, I'll bite. This is pretty much the ones I use for my go-to depending on the missions.

Overall DPS: I'll use Mesa for results at all levels.

Overall Survivability: Trinity. Tanky as hell with the bless/link combo.

Stealth Capability: Loki. Ivara is good, but too damn slow. I can run almost every spy vault in the game in under 12 seconds with Loki.

Defense Capability: Fun one, I default to Frost for actual Defenses, but Operative Defense I prefer Zephyr.

Single Target DPS: Fatal Teleport Ash with a Covert Lethality. Infinite One-shot. Unless it's an Eidolon, then I'd prefer a Chroma.

Crowd Control Capability: Loki, regular Disarm versus Irradiating Disarm is a situational choice though.

Versatility: Hmmmm.... Oberon. A little of everything, keeps squishy team members alive, solos well, CC, damage, buffing... I like him.

My preferred frames, though, are ones that have a base-line of damage mitigation that I can use to travel fast through a mission and ignore enemies at range, to some degree. Zephyr is my default frame, anything I can do with Zephyr I'll do with Zephyr. But Gara is becoming a bit of a favourite too, with 90% damage reduction, refreshable, and (unlike Zephyr) you can stack damage into that too... Yeah, these two girls are my style of play.

Il y a 8 heures, (Xbox One)alchemPyro a dit :

[]

Here are the categories:

Overall DPS

Overall Suvivability

Stealth Capability

Defense Capability

Single Target DPS

Crowd Control Capability

Versatility

[]

Overall DPS : Mesa/Sarynn/Equinox.

Overall Suvivability: Harrow/Chroma for non endless mission, Nidus otherwise

Stealth Capability: Loki if you need speed, Ivara otherwise.

Defense Capability: Ranged foe limbo, Frost in other case.

Single Target DPS: Chroma, Equinox with "1" augmented, Ash if the only one objective of the mission is to kill a lvl 150+ foe.

Crowd Control Capability: Nova, Vauban, Loki.

Versatility: Equinox (DPS CC support), Harrow(support tank soft_cc DPS), Chroma( tank DPS cc_inefficient ||if he could chose his element in battle=> support).

19 minutes ago, (Xbox One)alchemPyro said:

(Update Checkpoint)

Okay, so with your updated numbers... wait... how do we separate 'old' frames from 'new' frames?

I vote to separate them at the release of the frames that are currently undergoing their reworks (because they're old and in need of love), there's Oberon, Hydroid, Limbo, and next up would logically be Zephyr, and possibly Mirage... making it 2014 is the cut-off for 'old' frames.Therefore, 2015 and on is the new age.

Meaning! In terms of votes so far!

Overall DPS: New frames, 4; Old Frames, 13

Overall Survivability: New frames, 12; Old Frames, 8

Stealth Capability: New frames, 10; Old Frames, 9

Defense Capability: New frames, 6; Old Frames, 14

Single Target DPS: New frames, 9; Old Frames, 9

Crowd Control Capability: New frames, 1; Old Frames, 30

Versatility: New frames, 7; Old Frames, 7

This is a surprise... Older frames seem to be the CC master-race, with lots of write-in or split votes, and even though the rest of the balance seems to be evenly split, with old frames and new frames each winning 2 categories and drawing the other two the categories that the old frames win does appear to be by a much larger proportional margin than the wins of the new frames (oldies win by 9 points and by 8 points, while newbies win by 4 points and by 1 point).

Thoughts everyone?

Overall DPS: Chroma, Mesa.

Overall Surv: Chroma, Valkyr.

Stealth: well I don't have many stealth frames but my Loki P does it in a pinch. Looking forward to playing with Ivara once I get her dang blueprint though (cmon RNGsus)

Defense: Frost, Gara, Limbo for babysitting the dumb operative :sleep:.

Single target DPS: Chroma with an Opticor, and Mesa again. Maybe Valkyr if she gets a high MCC. Mag with Magnetize and a Lanka is also ridiculously good.

CC capability: Booben. Hands down. Nyx/Nova combo gets an honorable mention here.

Versatility: this one's a silly category because the term's so vague. Most frames when modded right are fairly versatile and can react to many situations that can be encountered. Maybe Harrow because of his buffs and CC capabilities?

5 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Okay, so with your updated numbers... wait... how do we separate 'old' frames from 'new' frames?

I vote to separate them at the release of the frames that are currently undergoing their reworks (because they're old and in need of love), there's Oberon, Hydroid, Limbo, and next up would logically be Zephyr, and possibly Mirage... making it 2014 is the cut-off for 'old' frames.Therefore, 2015 and on is the new age.

Meaning! In terms of votes so far!

Overall DPS: New frames, 4; Old Frames, 13

Overall Survivability: New frames, 12; Old Frames, 8

Stealth Capability: New frames, 10; Old Frames, 9

Defense Capability: New frames, 6; Old Frames, 14

Single Target DPS: New frames, 9; Old Frames, 9

Crowd Control Capability: New frames, 1; Old Frames, 30

Versatility: New frames, 7; Old Frames, 7

This is a surprise... Older frames seem to be the CC master-race, with lots of write-in or split votes, and even though the rest of the balance seems to be evenly split, with old frames and new frames each winning 2 categories and drawing the other two the categories that the old frames win does appear to be by a much larger proportional margin than the wins of the new frames (oldies win by 9 points and by 8 points, while newbies win by 4 points and by 1 point).

Thoughts everyone?

I would indeed consider 2014 to be a good cut-off date, as that was around the time damage tables and maneuverability were overhauled. While nowhere near conclusive, my hypothesis is that older frames will be superior at lower leveled play where as newer frames will excel at higher level play (40+). Another data point I'm collecting on is how often the original 8 Warframes (Excalibur, Mag, Volt, Loki, Ash, Ember, Rhino, and Trinity) appear in this.

13 hours ago, (Xbox One)alchemPyro said:

, my hypothesis is that older frames will be superior at lower leveled play where as newer frames will excel at higher level play (40+). 

As long as Loki has his current kit - there will be hardly any competition for him in any level of play,because after certain point damage falls off while CC doesn't

Overall DPS: Ember//Saryn 

Overall Suvivability: Nidus//Chroma

Stealth Capability: Ivara//Ash

Defense Capability: Frost//Gara

Single Target DPS: Mesa//Bansee

Crowd Control Capability: Nova//Nyx

Versatility: Volt//Titania

Here's my list based on the frames I actually use on a regular. 

Overall DPS:  7 Mag, 8 Ivara, 8 Titania, 9 Saryn

Overall Suvivability: 10 Ivara no one else even comes close.  :P

Stealth Capability: 10 Ivara

Defense Capability: 8 Frost, 6 Titania

Single Target DPS: 10 Ivara, 10 Mag, 9 Titania

Crowd Control Capability: 7 Ivara, 7 Nova, 7 Frost, 7 Nyx, 5 Titania, 6 Mag 

Versatility: 10 Ivara, 7 Mag, 8 Titania, 8 Oberon

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

Here's my list based on the frames I actually use on a regular. 

Overall DPS:  7 Mag, 8 Ivara, 8 Titania, 9 Saryn

Overall Suvivability: 10 Ivara no one else even comes close.  :P

Stealth Capability: 10 Ivara

Defense Capability: 8 Frost, 6 Titania

Single Target DPS: 10 Ivara, 10 Mag, 9 Titania

Crowd Control Capability: 7 Ivara, 7 Nova, 7 Frost, 7 Nyx, 5 Titania, 6 Mag 

Versatility: 10 Ivara, 7 Mag, 8 Titania, 8 Oberon

"mag is crap dps""comments coming in 3, 2, 1....