Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ways to stop leeching: pick one [DE]

(PSN)HarigeVINCE

First of all: bounty leeching is toxic af, as this is in fact the most efficient way of getting standing and resources (even though others do the work). So if this can happen unpunished this will happen more and more until public bounties become unplayable/unenjoyable.

What can we do about this?

1. In bounty missions, make fish, gems and wisps unable to spawn.

2. An in-game leech report button to scare people off.

3. A 'vote to kick' system.

4. Only give bounty rewards in a certain radius of the objective.

Whatever you do [DE], do something about this, it's toxic. Today I've even seen an MR24 doing this, what a great example for other players right?

To people who defend this behaviour: I won't respond to you, as leeching is an offense.

Another one, eh?

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Spoiler

Several features already exist.

They are: 1) Recruitment Chat; 2) Clan Chat; 3) Alliance Chat; 4) Setting matchmaking to solo; 5) Setting matchmaking to Friends Only. You get the benefits of running the bounties to completion with other people, without the hassle of having to worry about someone doing their own thing.

God forbid you actually put in the effort to recruit people to your purpose though.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Another one, eh?

Reveal hidden contents

They are: 1) Recruitment Chat; 2) Clan Chat; 3) Alliance Chat; 4) Setting matchmaking to solo; 5) Setting matchmaking to Friends Only. You get the benefits of running the bounties to completion with other people, without the hassle of having to worry about someone doing their own thing.

God forbid you actually put in the effort to recruit people to your purpose though.

All true and valid solutions.

However, this hand waving of players actively behaving in a toxic manner should not stand. There's nothing stopping a recruitment chat player from doing step 1 of the bounty and then running off to go fish while the other players finish it (or leave the squad out of frustration). Solo mode defeats the purpose of running them with other players, entirely, to begin with and while that's how I choose to play it's also not a valid solution for someone who wishes to group with others and be social.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

This is a more than reasonable compromise for people to have to at least attempt a facade of participation in order to reap the rewards.

PUG -Pick Up Game, inferring a random chance encounter with other players.

I've been using Invite Only when I remember to set that, before clicking on the plains or Cetus.

And you can leave squad to create a new instance on the plains. Hit Esc go up to your profile pic to have the drop down appear and the click on 'Leave Squad' I've used it like two to three times so far and it's been working nicely so far.

Yes, god forbid if a wisp is like 45 meters that a ways and I need 90 more of them to finish making my Exodias for my nice shiny rapier.  Or if I spot out a solo gem deposit on the way and figure 'myeah I can do this' or an ore deposit.

No excuse for fishing though.

Also all of these options aren't great, as abba notes, you do have other means of working around leeches.

And here's why your list doesn't really work.

Option 1; No.  Wisps are rare and precious finds, and like I said, ores and gems are typically highly scattered.  If I see it, and we're not horribly overwhelmed, I can take the fifteen seconds to mine it out without losing much.  Same with Wisps.

Option 2; Trolls.

Option 3; Will be abused to all hell and back.  No no, NO.

Option 4; So if I wander free of the zone to take down that last straggler whose pathfinding got them stuck, I'm suddenly no longer rewarded?  Fair.

Edited by Sintag

What are clans. What is that, I don't understand and what's this....recruiting chat? 

In my experience I have been mining and fishing, asked if they wanted to do anything. They were hunting a eidolon without telling me and then called me a leech when I didn't automatically know that they were hunting said eidolon. Despite me asking they didn't tell me.

3 minutes ago, Whitestrake0 said:

What are clans. What is that, I don't understand and what's this....recruiting chat? 

In my experience I have been mining and fishing, asked if they wanted to do anything. They were hunting a eidolon without telling me and then called me a leech when I didn't automatically know that they were hunting said eidolon. Despite me asking they didn't tell me.

Rather different from Bounty leeching, as you only get into a bounty mission by selecting the bounty first.  You know why you're there.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

2. An in-game leech report button to scare people off.

3. A 'vote to kick' system.

1.) No, I often walk out of games in the plains with >50% Damage/kills playing a CC frame while mining gems.

2)/3) Already been debated, would result in more toxicity in game than toxicity removed.

4.) Already been stated, sometimes there is legitimate reasons to be far away from finish objective.

If you go with your game set to public, you get what you get.  If you don't want that, change it.  It's literally in your hands what kind of group you get matched with.  People use the recruiting channel to make groups to do bounties all the time.

No, I'm not making excuses for people leeching.  I think it sucks too, which is why I don't play public for anything I actually care about getting done.

All I'm saying is that there are already tools at your disposal to make it so that you don't have to deal with people leeching.  You deciding not to use them isn't something anyone else should have to fix.

Aslo if you think for one second making it so people aren't getting the bounty rewards will stop everyone who joins and then doesn't help do the bounty, you are sadly mistaken.  The people who do that are the type of scum that'll do it anyway just to screw with you.

21 minutes ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

To people who defend this behaviour: I won't respond to you, as leeching is an offense.

"Because you have a counter argument, I will ignore you!"

Open World is exactly what plains of eidolon is. If you get bent out of shape that players are (god forbid) playing how they want and experiencing the open environment, I feel you should play solo or with specific players. If a player joins from their ship into the plains and someone starts a bounty, they are not obligated to do so. 

You cannot punish people for playing in a way you do not approve of. Leeching is used so loosely here that it is straying from the meaning.

12 minutes ago, Sintag said:

Option 4; So if I wander free of the zone to take down that last straggler whose pathfinding got them stuck, I'm suddenly no longer rewarded?  Fair.

This rarely, if ever, even happens. Even if it did, there's nothing within that option that implies you have to strictly be within the zone to receive the rewards. Within a certain radius would, most definitely, include a little ways outside of the yellow objective circle.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

1. fish, maybe. the others? hell no, i get do most of my mining in between stages or enroute, just dont spend too much time gathering them. wisps? seriously? is that really an issue? only a handful spawn per instance you know

4. uh, no. its bad enough i often dont get rewards from the first stage of bounties cus i load in slowly, and i know im not the only one

31 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Another one, eh?

Hide contents

This is a very stupid argument ... we are not talking about "playing" bad or different .... they just do nothing and get the reward . The problem its not that they are "bad" for my group (i can do it without them for example ... ) the problem its that is bad that they get things doing nothing .

On topic : The 4 seems the better option . If you dont participate you dont get the reward ... not matter if its because you are afk , you are slow , you were distracted , ect .

Edited by Yagamilight123

3 minutes ago, Yagamilight123 said:

This is a very stupid argument ... we are not talking about "playing" bad or different .... they just do nothing and get the reward . The problem its not that they are "bad" for my group (i can do it without them for example ... ) the problem its that is bad that they get things doing nothing .

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

7 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

"Because you have a counter argument, I will ignore you!"

Open World is exactly what plains of eidolon is. If you get bent out of shape that players are (god forbid) playing how they want and experiencing the open environment, I feel you should play solo or with specific players. If a player joins from their ship into the plains and someone starts a bounty, they are not obligated to do so. 

You cannot punish people for playing in a way you do not approve of. Leeching is used so loosely here that it is straying from the meaning.

I'm talking about people who join a bounty! A bounty is not about fishing or 'playing their own way'. The reason WHY people do this is because it basically gives double standing and resources while doing....nothing! Well, throwing a spear, that's all. While the rest of the team even has to kill more enemies.

This is called leeching/griefing and is an offense by the rules of the game and [DE] itself

When people want to fish in public, they should enter the plains without accepting a bounty first.

It's not the people playing the bounty who are at the wrong here, it's the leechers, so I think you're on the wrong side here.

No, as mentioned before, if you want a group that suits you, dont be lazy and go put one together. Public Matchmaking is there just to try to get you in a full squad as fast as possible, which it does relatively well.

Also, the tools you propose would invariably be used against regular players as well, specially 2, 3 and 4. I have had a few 'Mr and Mrs I am in a hurry' that will use about 10 archwing charges to get to objectives per mission, which is something I am not going to do regardless of how much they whine at me. And the tools you propose would enable them to do more than whine. I would be forced to waste archwing charges just to keep up with them to get any reward, even if I just so happen to be the host. No thank you.

To everyone saying: just recruit, problem solved

this is not solving the cause, but solving the effect. And not only that, in a way where I (and everyone who likes to do pubs) have to do the effort to recruit, or wait on massive loading/glitches going in and out of the plains for leaving a squad because there was a leecher,...

NO, the game was made for multiplayer, public matchmaking is a big part of the game, whatever some invite only elitits think.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)HarigeVINCE said:

To everyone saying: just recruit, problem solved

this is not solving the cause, but solving the effect. And not only that, in a way where I (and everyone who likes to do pubs) have to do the effort to recruit, or wait on massive loading/glitches going in and out of the plains for leaving a squad because there was a leecher,...

NO, the game was made for multiplayer, public matchmaking is a big part of the game, whatever some invite only elitits think.

But without a effect what is the reason to solve something that doesn't exist.

33 minutes ago, Shifty_Shuffler said:

I just take the first stage of a bounty quite slow now to see what others are doing. If I see someone heading the other way or going fishing I leave. You can't reason with leechers.

that is best to do amount of them is increseing