Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Serious question: What do the Eidolons do in their spare time?

mosaickle

1 minute ago, NSDBL said:

Especially during the day time? Like they go out for brisk walks at night which I totally understand so...

more than likely the answer is much less boring than you think. They are pieces of a sentient and rather mindless iirc. so they probably just sit underground not moving till night time

thinking about it, Eidolons live a very sad existence;

once the biggest threat to earth during the old war, they sleep during the day, and when they come out at night, they are basically looking for the limbs and other pieces of them they've lost in battle. but they can never find them because we keep killing them, only for them to return the following night, once again on the hunt. they're basically doomed to forever roam the plains trying to find something that doesn't exist. pretty grim ordeal if you ask me.

it does make me want another quest about the Sentients though, where we can understand why the Sentients hate us for all the terrible things we've done to them. it's always interesting to see the other side's view, and remind us that there is no "honourable Tenno" or "Sentient threat", just two sides fighting for their own reasons.

25 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

thinking about it, Eidolons live a very sad existence;

once the biggest threat to earth during the old war, they sleep during the day, and when they come out at night, they are basically looking for the limbs and other pieces of them they've lost in battle. but they can never find them because we keep killing them, only for them to return the following night, once again on the hunt. they're basically doomed to forever roam the plains trying to find something that doesn't exist. pretty grim ordeal if you ask me.

it does make me want another quest about the Sentients though, where we can understand why the Sentients hate us for all the terrible things we've done to them. it's always interesting to see the other side's view, and remind us that there is no "honourable Tenno" or "Sentient threat", just two sides fighting for their own reasons.

An interesting thinking and I do agree with this.

According to the tale, the Eidolon horror was horrifically ""allergic"" to solar radiation. Every morning it's components have to flee to somewhere to hide away from the sunlight or they fry (most of the voms aren't smart enough to make it out, though it does make me wonder where they come from. Perhaps the Sentient chunks got the Kuva the Eidolon craved, but, lacking the brainpower to use it, they just mindlessly pump out low IQd baby copies.), though unlike the horror they were a part of, they can't choose to "tough it out" and regenerate through the damage, much less choose anything at all.

There is no spare time when you're the nocturnal shards of an ancient war machine, trying and failing to find scattered pieces of yourself or any way to become whole again while edgy teenagers and technocyte vessels destroy you, thus leading to even more painful reconstruction.

They are zombie fragments of a destroyed Eidolon with no self-awareness. 

Perhaps some lore could come in the future to better explain it. 

My theory:

It looks like it is a broken part of a regeneration protocol. It has replaced the lost arm with a tree and goes out every night to look for spare parts to reconstruct. Vomvalysts would be like scouts and support, while the big fixer walks around. It's not even a combat unit, we fight a plumber/mechanic. 

Vay Hek or Hunhow or some other baddie might consider eventually digging to try to find the "heart of the Eidolon" , the source of his emanation, which might be buried very deep from surface. 

The baddie would try to supercharge it, or provide with spare parts to reconstruct, and finally take over Cetus/Earth.

Iin parallel, the Lotus might also try to uncover this power to make use of on behalf of the Tenno. Enter the Mechaframes.(yay!)

They hang out at the bottom of their lake, recharging, and watching as all their cute fishy friends get speared and kidnapped by all us greedy Tenno on the surface. That's why they get so angry and go stomping around all night, they just want to stop us from turning all their little buddies into sashimi.