Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cetus and Quills standing - worth it?

Enkeiie

Is it really worth all that farming? I currently have rank 3 on both cetus and quill standing. And there comes a question :

IS THERE ANY GOOD REASON I SHOULD GET 5TH RANK IN THOSE SYNDICATES? (except for bigger standing cap and best zaw arcanes + arcanes for mote)

Just think about how cool you will be...:thumbdown:

no honestly, i am on the last level of ostron standing and i am asking myself the same thing. at the moment it is just something to do / accomplish. as for the quills, i have barely put a dent in it. im not even sure how to get rep other then trading in sentient cores ? but i havent really looked into it. want to finish ostron first.

35 minutes ago, Dark5eiD said:

oh boy, that is going to be a grind....

I full cap on a night with a group of randoms from LFG. Its not that bad really. Only reason I'm not at that level is because I barely hunt atm. but on a night when I do hunt I usually have excess cores.

Buuut I'm impatient so I keep buying arcanes instead of leveling :clem:

I can definitely say it's worth it. Got to  max rank with Quills a while ago, working on Cetus now, not far off on that either. The max rank in the Quills gets you access to things like Magus Elevate, which allows you to heal your Warframe fully on-demand just by spamming 5, and this works even in the Index. You can render yourself basically immortal.

As to Ostron standing, max rank gets you Glappid bait. If you learn how to fish well, you can haul in dozens of these guys in a single night. Why would you want to do that, you might ask? Well, because even a small Glappid is worth more than the largest of any other kind. And a large? 2000 standing. Each. Once you have Glappid bait, you essentially have unlimited Ostron standing at your disposal, meaning gathering anything the locals have now or in the future becomes trivial.

So, all things considered, yes, it's definitely worth it. It takes some dedication, but it's worth it.

Standing gain with both Quills and the Ostrons is a rather steep curve. It feels like a major grind at first when you're starting with Lungfish and Mote amp, but (thanks to the bunch of economy adjustments in the recent hotfixes) once you get Murkray bait and a custom amp it all goes quite effortlessly (and on the same level as any other grind in the game). Once you have proper grinding gear, even at the max mastery rank you can grind more in one session than your daily cap allows, and as already mentioned, in case of Ostron standing once you get Glappid bait you basically have access to unlimited standing with minimal effort.

So even though the grind is not as bad as it appears at first, it still requires some dedicated work which more or less cuts you off from your progression in any other part of the game, and you have to see for yourself whether the rewards you get from this particular grindmap are anything that you find interesting or useful in your regular gameplay.

Main thing you can get from Ostrons to use outside of the Plains is Zaws, which can actually be really strong and fun to use melee weapons, since you basically ducttape your favorite parts together to get the desired set of stats. Adding a set of Zaw arcanes on top of that can also customize your melee even further. For example, despite its bad reputation, I've always found channeling builds quite useful and already had a channeling riven on a couple of my melees, so I went for a Cyath machete, Zenurik's channeling efficiency passive, and an arcane that doubles the channeling damage, and that thing's turned into the most powerful melee weapon I currently own. If you find something like this in any way interesting, then yes, grinding Ostron standing is totally worth it.

As for the Quills, most of the rewards you can get from them are (currently) only used for making Eidolon hunts easier and more fun. In case you're planing on doing Eidolon stuff, grinding through the Quills stuff and focus way-bounds is more or less a must, but if you're not interested in that particular activity, there aren't really any incentives to dedicate time to the Quills grind. Only a couple of operator arcanes that heal your warframe are remotely useful in regular gameplay, but the same results can be achieved using health restore pads which are quite cheap to make. So it comes down to whether you want to keep grinding resources for health restores every once in a while, or grind for an Elevate set once and never have to use health restores again (unless you're running with a stupid dog like I do, since companion health-link doesn't work with the operator arcanes).

So, Quills standing (for now) doesn't really offer any considerable rewards for use outside of the Plains, and unless you enjoy playing as your operator in regular missions or actually care about getting the 12k mastery from the amps, then you can probably just ignore them for the time being, and only worry about having to grind through their ranks when and if a future addition (that you actually enjoy taking part in) requires operators to an extent which you'd need to put some work into their amps, arcanes and focus passives to be able to properly play.

tl;dr - Whether grinding for Cetus stuff is worth it, is pretty much the same as "whether grinding for a hard-to-get frame is worth it". If you actually like that frame and plan on using it, or if you're keen on getting the mastery from it, then definitely yes. Otherwise, you can just ignore it and keep playing the game your own way and it won't really have a negative impact on your gameplay.

Edited by aerelm

You will eventually get rank 5 with Cetus passively if you're doing bounties for lenses and their Eidolon upgrades anyways (unless you limit yourself to a few setups for Focus farming which is boring), wouldn't say Quills would be worth the grind though at their current state, operators are meant to be used for utility and niche cases so you don't need the amps and such.

So I recently made two Zaws after getting Ostron R5. Having base viral damage and putting in the links I want, I created a Staff and a Rapier far better than any other Staff and Rapier in game. So if having Galatine Prime level melee weapons in under used weapon categories is for you, I say it's worth it. Maxing Ostron wasn't hard. Hell, wasn't even that time consuming see as how I just fished and mined my way their. Probably gonna work on Quills next...but man, 60 captures.

But at MR 24 I literally have nothing better to do except grind Fissures for prime parts and Trails for Warframe Arcanes so...

I use the plain bounties to level frames and weapons.  Grineer offer good XP, the bounties are fun (need more variety but they are fun), and many defense style bounties are good for shared xp.  

Just level up gear, forma, level some more, and before you know it, you'll have max standing and Zaws are worth it (build a status viral polearm with max relic and it is as good or better than my beloved orthos prime - if I ever get a riven for it...).  Fishing fun, mining sucks (my opinion).  I farmed event for a bunch of gems, hopefully, this will be a permanent feature later.  I won't progress into all the arcanes because mining is boring and unrewarding (I do like fishing minigame).

As for quills, I stopped at rank 3.  It is hard for me to find a full night cycle and willing group for all night cycle farm.  Cetus, the minimap, and our starship needs a day/night cycle timer!  I get there and it's day, or half way through night and no one starting, or I get in a mission and it jumps in water...

I would play it more if Warframe had a clock...

Edited by Educated_Beast

Magus and Virtuous arcanes. Top tier Magus has self-healing, top tier Virtuous includes META-tier for terry hunting (+crit (flat) on head hit).

Both require Quills 5 and Beetle Shells, which requires Cetus 5 to get the bait to fish for Glappids (beetle shells).

Edit, should note, Virtuous Shadow has a poor man's counterpart in Virtuous Strike, so long as you bring Adarza(s).

Also forgot Exodias, one of which gives lifesteal on finishers. Absolutely absurd on CL build daggers using the newest dagger stance.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 PM, Enkeiie said:

Is it really worth all that farming? I currently have rank 3 on both cetus and quill standing. And there comes a question :

IS THERE ANY GOOD REASON I SHOULD GET 5TH RANK IN THOSE SYNDICATES? (except for bigger standing cap and best zaw arcanes + arcanes for mote)

I maxed both, and yes it is worth it if you wanna get all the items, and don't forget self satisfaction

Honestly, I have not much interest on them. Maybe Cetus standing helps us to give us more zaw parts and increasing mastery rank, but that's all.

In fact, Quills' Arcane item is quite interesting, but I doubt that it really worth enough to spend that much time and resources to do so.