Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Be So Indignant About The VGA

Tellakey

Never expect popular media to get things right. VGA is the video game pop-culture equivalent of the Oscars. And as we all know, the Oscars don't mean Sh!it. The real norm-busters and original creators whose work you've never heard of sit on the sidelines while the hacks, the superficial, the familiar get center stage. This is nothing new and it never will be.

Like many here I really wanted Warframe to win the award, if nothing else then for the worldwide recognition of DE's uphill battle. However, I never truly expected it to turn out so. Though none of it matters. An award is not a testament to merit, it's a PR auxiliary. The real deal is us. WE know, and more importantly, DE knows just how far it has come and how far it has yet to aim.

It's easy to forget that Warframe started as a doomed project that miraculously took off. It's a fighter of a game that progressively gets better and more expansive. I don't harbor any ill toward the other games or Overwatch who clearly hold a lot of merit, but in honesty they can't compete with Warframe in terms of its starting point and the journey it had made until now.

Be proud of DE and this community. 

Edited by Tellakey

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

What really grinds my gears is that Warframe has the voting majority, meaning that it should have won.

Of course it should have. We all know the VGA is bull. And still, we cannot but lie to ourselves by thinking "this time it will be different". Who knows by what metric other than actual merit the winner is picked.

Edited by Tellakey

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

Remember when Roger Ebert said that video games weren't art?  I don't agree at all with his statement, but the Video Game Awards are several hours of dense validation for his argument.

Bring on the nukes.

3 hours ago, Thunderchief0 said:

I think this category should be restricted to games over 1 year old. How can you vote on "ongoing" without enough time to prove itself.

No, it should be restricted to games that have actually launched out of beta.

I know I'll get a lot of hate here for what I'm about to say, but I'm glad that Warframe didn't win. I don't think games in a perpetually incomplete state should count as "ongoing" games. MMOs and games that are an actual live service post-launch are ongoing games. But I don't think games like DayZ, PUGB, Warframe, and other early access/perpetual alpha/perpetual beta games should be considered "ongoing". They're just games that never actually launched because they never fully developed a solid core game before adding additional features, features continually added to the game without being organized into a complete, structured, holistic package. IMO, "best ongoing game" is not an award Warframe should be qualified for. And I don't think PUGB should've been qualified for it either. I think a different category - best early access/perpetual development game - would be better for games like Warframe, PUGB, and DayZ, to name a few.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

what people don't seem to realize is that even though Warframe didn't win, this is still a huge deal in terms of publicity. there are still many people who haven't heard of the game that we love so much, and after seeing it at the VGA, they may become interested in joining our community. there will be people who left Warframe in the past that see it up in the nominations and think "they must have made some crazy changes to be nominated for this, maybe I should go back and see what all the fuss is about!". there will be people asking "so what's this "Warframe" game all about"? to people who play it.

yes, it would've been nice to throw that accolade around, but Warframe has reached the ears of the AAA-following Masses and offered them an alternative, which given the way many anticipated releases turn out these days, might start looking rather appealing. Warframe has jumped into a major spotlight and has proven it can contend with the heavyweights, and this should drive in a ton of new players, which is only a good thing for DE.

I'll be honest though, I genuinely believed GTA was gonna win via Rockstar bribing the officials, but Overwatch got it instead. Overwatch isn't a bad game IMO, just a little too PvP centred for my tastes. it's one of those easy to learn/difficult to master games that people of all ages can get to grips with. it's audience is wide, it's developer is huge, and it has a lot of money behind it. Warframe was the Underdog of the award ceremony, and I don't think banking on us to win outright was a wise decision. but it goes to show what a little-known bunch of Canadian Devs can accomplish over time!

besides, there's always next year.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

what people don't seem to realize is that even though Warframe didn't win, this is still a huge deal in terms of publicity.

Exactly. Just for the fact that some players may start warframe because of this is already a big win.

Edited by Gilmaesh

The moment I saw destiny 2 is a nominee of best ongoing game, I lost my interest in the Games Award. I mean all the other nominees truly deserve it by being constantly updated and cared for years. Destiny 2 is out for like 3 month, it’s not even on the same level with any of those nominees. Hell, even Skyrim would have deserved it more by being kept relevant with modding community even until now.

Edited by Horaciozhao