Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the Acolytes Event a good event?

MickThejaguar

So I've played the acolytes event twice out of the 4 times it's occurred. During original and most recent iterations of it. I've come to the opinion that I believe the acolyte event isn't very good. Yes, the rewards for the event are all fine, some are definitely stronger than others but they all have their place. But the actual way these mods are acquired through the event seems tedious, unengaging, and just overall inconvenient from a farming standpoint. But I put this here in the general discussion instead of the feedback because I wanted to ask if the rest of the community thinks the way the event is executed is well done or not. I want to know if I'm the odd man here or if their are other people who have gripes with the event, and if so, why?

Oh yeah, it's pretty bad. Acolytes aren't dangerous to anyone even half-equipped for the job, it's just the tedium of doing the mission and looking for the right tile to spawn something you're going to smack for a few seconds and then sprint for extraction. It isn't engaging, it isn't difficult, and more importantly it isn't fun. This really highlights a problem I have with Warframe overall in that it's become very stale. What started out as promising systems which seemed like they were going to be built upon has become a bunch of base level and some almost broken gameplay "features" that are all loosely stapled together.

Edited by Pent_

12 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

So I've played the acolytes event twice out of the 4 times it's occurred. During original and most recent iterations of it. I've come to the opinion that I believe the acolyte event isn't very good. Yes, the rewards for the event are all fine, some are definitely stronger than others but they all have their place. But the actual way these mods are acquired through the event seems tedious, unengaging, and just overall inconvenient from a farming standpoint. But I put this here in the general discussion instead of the feedback because I wanted to ask if the rest of the community thinks the way the event is executed is well done or not. I want to know if I'm the odd man here or if their are other people who have gripes with the event, and if so, why?

The definition of a "good event" by DE's terms, is one that causes the playerbase to get all hyped and come back to the game...and grind. Period. 

We as players can complain about stuff as much as we want, but that isn't really going to change anything. 

No, I do not think that the acolyte event is as fun as it can be, especially considering the absurd drop rates. 

With all that being said, what exactly do we players want? Not every event can be like the Tubemen of Regor or the Operation: Eyes of Blight which were fun as hell. Not every quest can be epic like The Second Dream. I don't really know how we could improve the event at all to be honest...repetition is a core part of this game, and even in triple-A games like Destiny, people get tired of doing the same things over and over again. 

I guess people are looking for more complexities to the challenge, more requirement of skill, etc instead of just how well you can bash the enemy and rush the mission. But doing that's going to take a lot more work from DE, and considering how pressed they are with just keeping the game running, I give 'em credit for what they've been able to pull off.

I do hope though that we get to see more fruitful events in the future that aren't as grindy and divisive as the acolyte invasions. I've already seen friendships broken and clanmates fighting over the results over the event and the general stress it has caused, and I do hope that DE changes it in the future to something a bit more palatable to the community as a whole. 

I am sorry, the acolyte with the opticor is a pain in the rear, otherwise all the other ones are pretty tame. I'd call it an OK event. Certainly had more variation than Plague Star, that's for bloody sure and rewarded mods that people actually asked for.

I am still in the strong opinion that Stalker and his friends need to stop announcing themselves in any way before they show up. They need to have the drop on us and be a surprise. Could the last event be handled differently? yes, but at least it wasnt Plague Star. That'll be my catch phrase for the evening.

I generally like it. I think the Acolytes (just like Stalker) are fun, and I consider a good event to be something that makes me go back to mission types I generally hate or tend to avoid willingly. This event does that. I played a lot more defense missions by hunting Violence than I did throughout the year, probably. So, yeah, all good in my book.

OK, so I'm kinda new to warframe, just hit Sedna.  MR 9 noob :)  I would say that it could be better, but I;m not sure what they could do to improve it.  The event really didn't add anything to the game, from a fun point of view.  The rewards (if your lucky enough to get meme strike, I was not lucky :( ) are good.

It added a whole bunch of stress to real life.  I was farming as much as I could, with the fam looking on, "dad, can I watch TV yet?" was the most used quote.  From a completionist point of view this is a nightmare.

Also there were some people who slaughtered the acolyte half way across the tileset with me trying to reach the team and the d**ks never marked the mod, so I lost a few runs, maybe 6-8.

I guess, Acolytes Event should carry also another game mechanic, totally new for Warframe.

• matching an Acolytes, will create a Special teleport should carry Player and Acolytes to a "special stage":
  • the room,ambient should be themed with the map,
  • the camera view should be side to both opponent, like a Beat'em Up fighting game  (like tekken,street fighter)
  • Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Commands should just change a bit. (AD = ground move ,WS= Melee combo imput,Jump,Dash,Run =same as now)
  • Only abylities and Melee allowed.
  • The duel should be 1 round match,
  • at end match, player will teleported back to original map.

maybe is too much for a 3rdPShooter themed game, But i guess that also the Archwing Mode or The Operator Mode were a great changement.

this should be nice too. 

The acolyte event was "good" because the rewards were worth it. The gameplay aspect was crap, about 1 min spent dealing with a "new" enemy which was just mashed up tenno ai. Just like the plague star, people only ran it because of the rewards. There were 3 kinds of thinking.

• Some hunted a few times, got bored and saw the plat prices. Then decided it was better to spend plat they could afford to get what they wanted.
  • Then there are those that set a goal to farm until they got everything or at least most of the mods which gave them a sense of completion
  • And then there are the players that could stand running the event repeatedly for what I can only hope was enough plat in return to be worth their time

Because events are just that, limited to a specific period. The way acolytes played out was either spend time and/or money to get what you want if not accept it and wait for the next time. There have been events where by one account could only receive one set of new mods/skins and those required a player to spend 1-5hrs. And events with token systems to redeem points while others with endurance runs. It doesn't seen DE has landed on a good way to present events.

To be fair, the acolytes are only part of the entire shadow debt event, which had a story that led up to it (something about protecting Alad V) and a final endurance run against a boss acolyte (Misery). But this also represents a failure because DE just dragged out part of an event to satisfy players complaining about high prices for the exclusive event mods. The acolytes would have been much better incorporated into the normal gameplay like coming with the stalker or someway to summon them.

TLDR: Both gameplay and rewards make up how "good" an event turns out. So recycling content without taking the feedback and changing things are missed opportunities. 

I think it should always be up and not timed. Once an acolytes health goes down to 0% it takes a while to recover from it's injuries and then it'll return.

Lore/story change is that the acolytes are scouring the solar system looking for prime parts for some unknown purpose! So when you beat one they will drop prime parts. Baro will instead sell the mods people are after. That way you are guaranteed to get a mod you want just by waiting for baro and selling any prime parts you don't want for ducats. And since you wouldn't get a choice of what drops from an acolyte, there is still reason to do relics.

Edited by Redfeather75

5 minutes ago, Redfeather75 said:

I think it should always be up and not timed. Once an acolytes health goes down to 0% it takes a while to recover from it's injuries and then it'll return.

Lore/story change is that the acolytes are scouring the solar system looking for prime parts for some unknown purpose! So when you beat one they will drop prime parts. Baro will instead sell the mods people are after. That way you are guaranteed to get a mod you want just by waiting for baro and selling any prime parts you don't want for ducats. And since you wouldn't get a choice of what drops from an acolyte, there is still reason to do relics.

Sometimes I wish some vaulted stuff came out as a rare item here and there, I know stuff comes back sometimes but having a semi-constant flow of relics would be nice, at least enough to have some reason to refine them into radiant and try our luck for a change of pace.

Aside from the event timing the only real problem I had with it was having to scour the map to find the acolyte if it wasn't spawning somewhere along the objective/extraction route.  Having him do the equivalent of hiding in a broom closet on the opposite side of the map really makes no sense.

Edited by Urabask

11 minutes ago, Urabask said:

Aside from the event timing the only real problem I had with it was having to scour the map to find the acolyte if it wasn't spawning somewhere along the objective/extraction route.  Having him do the equivalent of hiding in a broom closet on the opposite side of the map really makes no sense.

That reminds me of half my Kuva Siphon missions.

It's not a good event as the acolytes appear for such a brief time they are easy to miss if you aren't glued to the navigation console. Want to play normally, too bad, you're in gaming limbo waiting for your next chance at a rare mod.

I do appreciate this event though. Having suffered through farming all the mods the first time, subsequent visits have been stress free and profitable.