Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chronicles of Warframe (For all players, especially those who joined in 2013 and even older)

Imzai

This is just an old timer playing the game reminiscing about the game and purely the game. I hope you will read to the end of my post and feel the nostalgia haha. For all players who are still playing or not, please include your date of starting to play and share about your experiences (take your time to write!) and why you are still playing or have stopped.

In my 5 years here (soon to be once it reaches 31 Jan), I have seen so many changes to the game in its updates. 

I first joined on 31 Jan 2013 (as my profile says otherwise I honestly don’t recall the exact date) but it was probably during alpha/closed beta? Before warframe even joined steam!

Who recalls the 2D lotus and terrible HUD then? Haha or even the dark sword or plasma sword being the BEST/Coolest weapons then? Amazing to see how the diversity of weapons has ballooned to this far now! (But I know how meta has always stayed meta)

Who remembers unlocking nodes with glee or even the strange glitch/mechanic iirc that if you went to a locked node (unconnected to unlocked nodes) with a friend who had it unlocked, completing the Mission would instantly unlock it? So it was really easy to unlock nodes all over the place! (Yet there were only bosses to really care about because those were where you could get new warframes. Weapons were all crafted with materials and blueprints and my god, Super expensive. Like legit, credits scarce was a real problem. Thank goodness for index now but that’s for later)

Don’t even get me started on warframes! I remember when Excalibur was the ONLY starter warframe before they thankfully included Mag and Volt. However I would always remember the brilliant sword dashes and amazing experience I had with him. Then after I grinded my way to ember (yes it was that hard to obtain a normal frame then and even obtain resources), it was just terrific using new abilities. Yet I stopped playing the game while it was still in its infancy (before it was officially released) because I had other games to occupy my time then.

My return to the game was just really shocking (a year later) and I felt like an infant again. Lo and behold graphics had improved like crazy and Primes were a thing. Maps had improved in design and a lot more amazing details were added. Wtf even pets and sentinels were new to me. Immediately I dove into the game again, spending hours getting the then-meta stuff like Bolton Prime, Orthos Prime and Scindo Prime and a handy carrier for vacuum. Trade chat was filled with mainly corrupted mods and prime sets for trade. It was fun playing missions and thank goodness for Draco for exp farm and Dark Sectors like Akkad for credit farm. Sorties were fun endgame stuff! I thought the fun would last forever but of course it didn’t. I left the game again just after second dream because priorities popped up.

Now I recently just returned two months ago because of news of POE (supposedly a massive update) and damn the game changed again. Enter the War Within, Rivens, new frames and primes! Thank goodness I also had the foresight and kept a few sets of Rhino Primes, Loki P, EVEN Ember P and a lot of other mods which are worth so much now! (Hint: before going on hiatus, make sure you buy the soon-to-be vaulted stuff haha!) I enjoy the new content and weapons in the new meta and a new grind again! But I kind of foresee myself leaving the game again for another hiatus (not before selling all my accumulated S#&$ again though)... BUT THAT’S OKAY because ultimately games aren’t meant to be played like crazy and I am kind of taken aback by the stories of people who have spent 300+ hours in just a few days or weeks???? Unfortunately, steam only records the time I have played warframe through steam and I only can remember offhand it’s about 450 on steam and probably a few hundred more but definitely less than 700... and all those hours in 5 YEARS. It just really disappointing to see people troubled by how much of a paywall it is only a few days or weeks in. There are many more posts by other people who sum it better than me so here’s just my two cents. Don’t expect hours spent playing to mean anything, in the end, warframe is a game meant to be savoured and not rushed. Just like you gave it a chance to even start playing, give it a chance now or just come back after a hiatus!

PM me if you need stuff or advice in game! Another heartening thing I see is clans and other old veterans just dispensing advice freely so please enjoy the amazing warframe community!

Way back when Xini was king, when every enemy's drop table included every mod in the game, when Raid was a mission type where you basically captured an inanimate object.  Back when Control Modules were rare and painful to obtain, when bosses actually dropped warframe BPs and they weren't guaranteed.  Back when Serrated Blade was a damage type better then all others cause it ignored armor, Acrid was awesomely OP.

Edited by Phatose

Beta, I remember Beta. The maps were dark and grim. It was such work to get another frame but ember made alot of it easy once I got her. I don't remember what it was that got in the way of me playing. Completely forgot warframe until I ran across mention of it while searching for a pet game.

I remember this.. and dropped on in. This is before it went to steam. The Kubrows called me, the gameplay snagged me, then the mainline quest and story wrapped me up and wouldn't let me go. Man how I wish there was a replay. Over 2300 hours since I returned, they didn't record playtime back in the beginning or it would be even higher. Kavats soon joined the fray. There are problems, I admit to that. Thinks need polish and refining but all the new stuff gives you something new to do.

Soon, Dual petting.

That's really neat to read about..thank you all for sharing.

When I started way back when, way before I joined the forums.. We only got 4 revives every 24 hrs per frame or you had purchase them with plat. Regrettably I probably spent around 100 plat on revives. Lol

A lot has changed, I believe for the better. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

I remember the old parkour 1.0, and the joy of finally figuring out how to copter properly(in the old void levels).

I remember the first time I had enough special mods to fully mod out a weapon(Soma Prime).

And I fondly remembering the first time I hit the 1hr mark on a Void T4 Survival with my clan mates, how unbelievably OP we felt.

And my greatest memory of the game was when me and those same clan friends were one of the first groups to beat the Law of Retribution Raid when it was released. One of the best moments in the game for me.

Edited by (PS4)HurricaneHugo76

Started back in 2013, didn't know what the heck was going on. Remembered there was only a couple of warframes, chose Excalibur as my first ever warframe. Stuck with him for a while then I quite the game, due to the grind. Didn't come back till 2015, played a bit then quite the game again cause of how grindy it is. Recently came back to it, and I'm having a lot of fun, but I think I might quite it for good. :|

Don't get me wrong the core game is fun. But this game can just get to insane levels of frustration. I don't know man I wanna love the game, but sometimes the game can just be too much.

3 hours ago, Phatose said:

Way back when Xini was king, when every enemy's drop table included every mod in the game, when Raid was a mission type where you basically captured an inanimate object.  Back when Control Modules were rare and painful to obtain, when bosses actually dropped warframe BPs and they weren't guaranteed.  Back when Serrated Blade was a damage type better then all others cause it ignored armor, Acrid was awesomely OP.

3 hours ago, AreeSoothsayer said:

Beta, I remember Beta. The maps were dark and grim. It was such work to get another frame but ember made alot of it easy once I got her. I don't remember what it was that got in the way of me playing. Completely forgot warframe until I ran across mention of it while searching for a pet game.

I remember this.. and dropped on in. This is before it went to steam. The Kubrows called me, the gameplay snagged me, then the mainline quest and story wrapped me up and wouldn't let me go. Man how I wish there was a replay. Over 2300 hours since I returned, they didn't record playtime back in the beginning or it would be even higher. Kavats soon joined the fray. There are problems, I admit to that. Thinks need polish and refining but all the new stuff gives you something new to do.

Soon, Dual petting.

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)RDeschain82 said:

That's really neat to read about..thank you all for sharing.

When I started way back when, way before I joined the forums.. We only got 4 revives every 24 hrs per frame or you had purchase them with plat. Regrettably I probably spent around 100 plat on revives. Lol

A lot has changed, I believe for the better. 

3 hours ago, (PS4)HurricaneHugo76 said:

I remember the old parkour 1.0, and the joy of finally figuring out how to copter properly(in the old void levels).

I remember the first time I had enough special mods to fully mod out a weapon(Soma Prime).

And I fondly remembering the first time I hit the 1hr mark on a Void T4 Survival with my clan mates, how unbelievably OP we felt.

And my greatest memory of the game was when me and those same clan friends were one of the first groups to beat the Law of Retribution Raid when it was released. One of the best moments in the game for me.

1 hour ago, toxicpanda said:

Started back in 2013, didn't know what the heck was going on. Remembered there was only a couple of warframes, chose Excalibur as my first ever warframe. Stuck with him for a while then I quite the game, due to the grind. Didn't come back till 2015, played a bit then quite the game again cause of how grindy it is. Recently came back to it, and I'm having a lot of fun, but I think I might quite it for good. :|

Don't get me wrong the core game is fun. But this game can just get to insane levels of frustration. I don't know man I wanna love the game, but sometimes the game can just be too much.

Really amazing reads but please do say exactly when you started and the time period you played! If you can mention the version/update of Warframe that would be great too!

when you heard the Stalkers Braton vandal and ran in fear

when disruptors were the most annoying/ hated enemy

when parkour was parkour and the feeling of "ninja wall running"

and than Dual Zorens

Booben - https://i.imgur.com/9OXkwpd.png

when you formad MK 1- Braton and still be a king with it  (in other words be BOOBEN with it) https://i.imgur.com/yAAbXdX.png

when this was happening on Xini https://i.imgur.com/Jvu2uHi.png

when new players weren't blocked and could anywhere on the map ,used to have so much fun helping MR- 0's on Pluto

August 2013 right when I moved into my first dorm.

No ships still kneeling in space, even before damage 2.0 and correct me if im wrong but that was during ember prime access? 

I remember the gravidus dilemma was going on and I was there with my one excalibur witch I accidently forma' d so I was back in square one while it was going on.

I still remember launching the game in Early Access, and the first thing you see is an infinite white room, similar to our current Simulacrum. The Lotus explained how to shoot and use your weapons. Using abilities was quite rare, as they were quite expensive and getting energy back was difficult.

As far as I'm concerned, this game will be remembered along with the greats. Doom, WoW, Diablo, all of the genre defining titles that paved the future, Warframe will be one of them. What DE achieved with this from a technological, development standpoint alone is sheer brilliance.

I don't see myself voluntarily ever stop playing, there's no reason to.

51 minutes ago, WhiteCr0w said:

I still remember launching the game in Early Access, and the first thing you see is an infinite white room, similar to our current Simulacrum. The Lotus explained how to shoot and use your weapons. Using abilities was quite rare, as they were quite expensive and getting energy back was difficult.

As far as I'm concerned, this game will be remembered along with the greats. Doom, WoW, Diablo, all of the genre defining titles that paved the future, Warframe will be one of them. What DE achieved with this from a technological, development standpoint alone is sheer brilliance.

I don't see myself voluntarily ever stop playing, there's no reason to.

you. thank you. you see the truth. you know the truth. you speak the truth. 

1 hour ago, Im_a_Turtle said:

Remember when breaking a corpus window that it would suck out anyone near it into space? I want that back...

Omg it did??? Haha that would have been sick to be continue except that with all the explosion weapons now, it’s probably going to be a real problem! Currently it feels more of a hindrance having to hack every time the windows get blown out 😕

I first played back around May 2013 as a friend had it, but I was really into ME3MP at the time and Warframe felt a bit weird.  The waypoints were really confusing and the maps changed each time you played unlike ME3.  The gameplay mechanics were as clear as mud so I threw my hands up and stopped.

Then over Christmas 2013 I saw another friend playing it on Steam and decided to try again, the original modding system had changed to how it is now (with only minor changes since) waypoints were better and it drew me in over that week.  Ember Prime Access was on and The Cicereo Crisis was shortly after and I stayed around until finally taking a break when ME:Andromedia came out for a few months.

I've been back since late summer and enjoying it again.

I remember the Karak being new and Valkyr had just been released just before I returned

22 hours ago, Phatose said:

Don't forget the fun times when the blueprints would drop off map so you couldn't get them.  I kinda miss the 3 data mass mission if it wasn't for all the trolling. When you had to hack and collect 3 date masses through out the map and bring them to extraction. Then 1 person would grab one and run away with it.

I remember back when the infested ships where a lot darker, and they had a higher chance of droping rare mods.

God I think I farmed ember for a few months befor I got the systmes. the time kept geting stuck in the wall... 

I kinda miss the old days. it was darker, more girrty, somehow more fun... and geting resocres felt like progress rather then punishment for not buying it outright.

1 hour ago, Fluff-E-Kitty said:

I remember back when the infested ships where a lot darker, and they had a higher chance of droping rare mods.

God I think I farmed ember for a few months befor I got the systmes. the time kept geting stuck in the wall... 

I kinda miss the old days. it was darker, more girrty, somehow more fun... and geting resocres felt like progress rather then punishment for not buying it outright.

The times getting stuck in the bloody walls when you try to bullet jump through something and not having the /unstuck ability... the new players don’t know how privileged they are now HAHAHAHAHA

Wow..I feel like we are member berries from South Park😂😂😂

That said..

Member when endo wasn't a thing and the only way to level a mod up is to fuse it with its duplicates? Member how mods could not be shared across frames and weapons in different loadouts and we had to hold lots of duplicates of different ranks? Member when there was no such thing as loadouts? Member when R5 cores were a thing?

Member when the only bosses that did not die from just shooting at it for some time and actually needed some brains to fight against was Jackal? Member how Lt Lech Krill got praised for his fight design when he got reworked?

Member when Excalibur's best damage skill was slash dash which really just goes through enemies instead of jumping from one to another and his 3rd skill was super jump? Member when Radial Blind just did a stun and nothing more but did not require line of sight?

Member when parkour was not a thing and those secret rooms in the void were like big secrets and tough to get to?

Member when acrid melted everything?

Member when there was no ship and cinematic tutorial and we had a UI only after logging in?

I member!😂😂😂😂

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

I joined in the days of Update 10, near the end of the founders package closing. The game had a lot of strange things in it going on that broke quite easily, the star map where planets looked like they were going to collide, the eye searing fog on the starmap, getting stuck in terrain without the /unstuck command, amongst many...many other things.

Like this for example

Also rewatching this, uhhh, i do not remember this music at all. When can we get this back in the game? Its kinda nice actually.