Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When am I a Vet

Ragnarok160

8 minutes ago, --Q--Captain said:

Then why do you act like you know so much? Not to be rude or anything but for a "fairly new player" you seem to go over your head about what you do and don't know about the game.

I apologize if this offends you in any way.

That's a very bold accusation , what do you think I do not know about the game ?

Also fairly new as in 500+ hours MR 21 started 3 months ago new . Just to be clear .

edit : Also new doesn't mean I'm new to online games , just sorta new to Warframe .

edit # 2 : Why do you even assume in the first place that I "act" in some manner ? lol

Edited by Spectre-8

There are "vets" who have only leveled stuff on draco/ hydron and never used chroma, equinox or Trinity outside of leveling the frames.

Then there are the vets who have used many different weapons and frames, understand how to build a frame on their own without having to check a guide for everything once they understand what the abilities do, understand when to use something to get the best outcome but also that other ways will often work.

And then you have guys like Voltage who seem to get triggered if you run a steel charge Abating link Trinity in a mission that does not matter even though you have 2 other trinity primes ready for whatever actually demands them.

Edited by Brorelia

Personal opinion wise, I feel as though that you can be a "vet" only if you've been around through at least three of Digital's events. A "veteran" of the wars for the Sol-Origin System. For example, I have been here since the day Vay Hek first started trying to defoliat Earth of all of it's anti-Infested jungles, and have been in every event since. In addition, you would also have to have acquired the "higher-grade" rewards from these events (albeit, this is significantly more difficult to detect due to some of said rewards being made publicly available.).

Naturally, this is my "literalist" definition I use for Warframe. As can be seen in those above me, the definition of "veteran" is extremely variable among our population.

If you want Digital Extreme's opinion though, I believe their veteran definition goes something like "Has completed the entire System Map and completed every quest.", though you might need to ask on our next Digital Livestream to clarify.

7 hours ago, Ragnarok160 said:

Ive been playing warframe for about 3 years now, i have 700 hours according to my in game profile and 1200 according to steam. Im mr23 and have every frame in the game so far, my question is am i a vet yet?

I think a lot of people are self proclaimed or dont know, it there a magic number i have to hit? Or are just founders considered vets ( tho i catagorize them on there own and ive seen founders with less time and mr then me). 

I feel like i consider myself a vet on how much of the game ive seen change and ive fallen into DE last survey time bracket.

Any thoughts?

Never.

I dunno.

I remember ring starchart, 2+ hours T4, keys and Saryn PA.

5 march will be my two years since joining Warframe. I have 2k hours in-game and 1.2k in battles (I spent A LOT of game time as architect, building two dojos with full decorating). MR20, 500+ days, still love this game.

I never rushed myself to reach some goals so I don't even have all prime mods maxed. I farmed every prime by myself yet I spent plat and money on PA/Tennogen. I didn't have access to Draco until it left several months till it's death bc, as I mentioned, I'm slow pacing. But it was fun to level some vanilla frames. Never used Hydron bc had no idea It's that effective =)

I farmed conclave events trying to get exclusive cosmetics while not loving classic conclave but wishing to improve my skills in fair pvp (w/o mods and meta weapons). Being almost solo clan warlord, when I became powerfuI enough, I found teams with ppl with similar goals and worked hard to get gold trophies (Ambulas and Pacifism defect were my most successful). I can be called rather fool or maniac for spending hours of soloing events and still getting all what I want (Plague Star?) or veteran for my effort I have put in my warframes and builds. It heavily depends from point of view.

Recently I finished all raids several times and planning to do more. I still have no idea if I'm veteran or not. I strongly prefer term dedicated player.

Edited by ThousandLights
typos

IMO a veteran is someone who’s seen extensive changes to the game. Doesn’t matter how many hours you have. Doesn’t matter what your MR is. 

If you can say, “Man, remember Ember’s Overheat ability?” You’re a Veteran.

If you can say, “Ah man I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with Ability Mod Cards anymore.” You’re a Veteran.

If you can say, “Remember when in game transmissions were still images?” You’re a Veteran.

If you can say, “I preferred Star Chart 1.0.” You’re a Veteran.

If you can say, “I preferred the old Void Prime farming.” You’re a Veteran.

Hell I’d even count those that remember Fusion Cores as Veterans at this point. 

Warframe is an ever changing game. And if you’ve been with it for a while, you’ve likely been through these changes. It’s ups and downs. Time played and MR means very little compared to this. That’s someththing that can be obtained in a months time if you’re diligent.

Edited by (XB1)Ivan of Jupiter

@Spectre-8 I don't understand why either matters, you can't be one without the other, all vets have been noobs and the noobs that stick with the game will eventually become vets. You can also help some newbies once you've become a vet, which I feel that it is the reason so many people consider this community to be so good (even if it may or may not be).

Has for the complaining, I feel that since vets have spent more time in the game they have more stuff to complain about, since the progression has kindof stopped for them, all they can ask for is a end-game. Anyway, this discussion seems very disconnected from the topic of this post and I feel like you're trying to disrupt it by creating this "us vs them", there is no need for that.

Do I complain about the rivens, the removal of raids and other random stuff? yeah, but that's because I really like the game, if I didn't I wouldn't be wasting my time complaining in the first place. So I really don't see the reason too bash vets like this.

Has for the post's theme:

I consider myself a "vet" and I'm mr21. yeah I haven't maxed everything but I know how to do it and I know what I'm missing to get there.

I've done all (current) mission types and started playing since last year. I feel like it's very much about experience and not about the "numbers" like mr, credits and resources in general, I've forma'd a lot of my frames and I know people with a higher mr than me that haven't, for example.

Being a vet is more like knowing the ins and outs of the game.

Edited by yzug

It is a complicated question with a complicated answer and depends on the person you ask that from. For some it is experience, for others it is achievement, to some it is knowledge, for some it is history. I think the problem is within the sum of these assumptions. A player who participated in the closed beta may or may not have participated in years until recently again. A player with experience may lack the perspective that history brings to the game and for some the current MR has taken years to obtain while for newer players it takes less time due to not having to wait out new content to get to the same position. A player who can achieve does not necessarily mean they have experience or genuine knowledge since if you have the platinum, you can buy yourself mods and listen to few guides without really understanding why they work and only knowing that they do.

So what to answer there? I don't know. But my question would be if it is relevant? I don't really place a lot of value judgement to the question whether someone is veteran or not. Yes it is one perspective not easily gained, but all perspective matters be it new players who give the game new life or older players who have experience of history instead. In life in general it really does not matter much who says what, what matters is whether that claim is accurate or inaccurate as far as you can tell. Even the smartest people in the world can say things that are untrue, and less smart people can say things that are true. Just because I am a founder, high MR, experienced and geared does not automatically make my opinion have any value judgement one way or another. Pay less attention to the fancy titles and/or the person saying them, and more to the claims themselves.

Honestly I don't even know why any of you pay attention to my whacky ramblings. All I know though is I try to treat every player new or old, fairly, respectfully, compassionately and if they ask I will answer, help and guide but I do not assume they need my help and I will listen to them when they respond. To me that should be the basic foundation to all social interaction in general. Just be kind, be understanding, be respectful rather than trying to see who can one-up-man-ship one another in a pointless ego competition. I can readily admit I am not perfect or innocent in this, especially my younger self in the past even on these forums I have made mistakes that now I reflect back on and see much to my own shame how childish I've been. Best I can do to rectify my mistakes is to listen when someone thinks I've wronged them and try to work on that for the future.

How I view myself? A student, a learner, an ever lasting quest to learn a new and never think I know there is everything to know about the game.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

I think this thread has been plagued by false dichotomies and pure bullS#&$ting when it was really a simple question, albeit one with a difficult answer. 

Defining what a veteran is is a pretty hard endeavour and also pretty pointless i think. You can use many metrics, from knowledge, to personal ability, to personal resources, to account age, to playtime, and they all will in one way or another fall short of a true definition. 

And that's normal because there is no true definition. I personally think that you become a veteran when you remember fondly or not some big meta shift (ie Vivergate, the Simulor nerf, etc) and when sometimes, in a random game, you get matched with a newbie and you can witness his/her clumsiness and you smile to yourself thinking "boy was it some time ago i last was so confused by this game". And you probably feel the urge of trying to pick up the poor fella/lady out of the confusion by giving some pointers and/or playing at their pace for once. Because you "aged" enoigh to know how it was to start, to know how you developed and where you ended up, and how hard it is at the beginning without some guideposts, which maybe where, for you, other "veterans". 

Other than this (sorry for making you bear with my sentimentalism) i want to make a point about the economical side of things. I personally, and most of my ingame friends which have similar or longer account age, spend way more on the game now than they did starting out. To make a quick comparison i spent less than 50eu in almost 3 years of play, compared to the almost 150eu i shelled just in the last 3 months between PA cosmetics and tennogen and plat (and i will shell out more soon). And many of my friends do the same. For me, and them, the amount spent is not related to needs. It wasn't at the beginning and sure as heck isn't now. It's tied to appreciation. I played this game 3 years straight (my "tenno birthday" is in the first half of January 2015). And now i keep playing it, i keep rollercoasting through the good and the bad changes, but i know that this is a game that will hold me for the whole ride, and being that i also aged with my account, i want to show that. People say you vote with your wallet, and that's what me (and others in my group of friends) are doing. 

That said, both people like us and people who spend because they need to, or people who spend to buy stuff from people like us, are necessary for the game to stay healthy and for its revenues to stay good, so i don't see what's the use of making a fuss about who spends more than whom. 

Edited by Autongnosis

11 hours ago, Spectre-8 said:

1.New players are spending cash right now , bets sit on their banked plat .

2. New players buy plat to spend right now and they don't sit on 10k plat .

Even if veterans sit on massive amounts if plat. That's not a bad thing.

Plat needs to be spent or not used so that more plat gets purchased. Also you don't understand your market most new players don't spend that much plat, you have some that buys PA day 1 but most don't purchase Plat until they become more invested.

Veterans are important because they have spending power and access to items that new players are really willing to spend plat on. A lot of them are also committed to curate new players.

You think veterans aren't as important. Fair, so let's say as of now everyone on war frame is new. Eventually those players wI'll become veterans so should we just dispose of them?

Also the banked plat arguement is.interesting. Did you ever consider that maybe there's nothing for veterans to spend their plat on? The riven system is the only high cost system that veterans can sink plat onto. However riven don't bring life to old gear even on high tier rolls and few people even bother participating in the system, prices go up and veterans who are smarter than that won't buy therefore no plat spent.

It's not vets fault it's DE fault that the systems they put I'm place create a climate where veterans feel that their plat is not worth spending on items for veterans. 

11 hours ago, ArchPhaeton said:

A completely baseless claim. 

At this point it's clear you are either trolling, or jelly of older players.

No, what he's saying is pretty much how it is in most f2p games.  Whales aside, most dedicated players see less need to buy new content after they've accumulated enough content.  New players are more likely to see an incentive to buy premium content since they don't have the mountain of content that dedicated players have.  That said, to say that one or the other is more important is silly since regardless of who is buying more stuff, they will need someone to play with.  The f2p model is successful because of the symbiotic relationship of paying and free players.

Edited by Urabask

All joking and rants about why people hate that term aside, a vet is someone whose been there since the early years.

They get hate when they identify themselves and heir opinions as such because, despite knowing the game very well and knowing what has worked and what hasn’t, people don’t want to hear that their suggestions (auction houses, unlimited polarities, etc) would not be a good idea.

Since you’ve been playing for theee years it’s safe to say you are a veteran as you were there during the first few years. 

A veteran can be, but is not the same as, a long term player, whose advice can be just as valuable.

I think a better question is, do you want to become a player who defines themselves some capricious set of parameters and uses those to prop up or shut down whatever opinion they choose? If you have something worthwhile to say it doesn't matter how long or how hard you've played the game and it can certainly stand on it's own without needing to be qualified.

So I would worry less about being considered a veteran and more about just enjoying the game you love. 

3 minutes ago, Oreades said:

I think a better question is, do you want to become a player who defines themselves some capricious set of parameters and uses those to prop up or shut down whatever opinion they choose? If you have something worthwhile to say it doesn't matter how long or how hard you've played the game and it can certainly stand on it's own without needing to be qualified.

So I would worry less about being considered a veteran and more about just enjoying the game you love. 

Sank you siiirr.  I am in fotal agregeous with you, nubs up.  😁