Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Realism In Firearm Design

Mr.Bibbles

A lot of the designs of the firearms are strange (though beautiful in their own rights) when it comes to their design. For example, with the Soma, the magazine is basically just a piece of hollowed out steel with no way of containing ammunition. Will newer designs where the firearms look more functional without sacrificing the individual faction styling? Some of these are really old pictures, but the concepts are great. With some preexisting guns having animated magazines that are removed when reloading, the first two are definitely doable.

28uu2ba.jpg

2ivmvpy.jpgxcIIFvl.pngspeedpaint_future_assault_rifles_by_prolhuman_assault_rifle_by_vladmrk-d7gkkfj.j

21 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

And then there's the Sybaris: a lever-action burst-fire rifle. (One of my favorite rifles to use, but still.)

technically I can see how that is supposed to work, but man, it makes my face crunch

Edited by Rawbeard

In my opinion, while some weapons are.. kind of unorthodox (Like most Grineer weapons and literally every Infested weapon for good reason), most Tenno and Corpus weapons are quite sound in their overall design.

The Latron is a large semi-automatic rifle, and in some way reminds me of rifles used in the World Wars

Karak, Stadavar, Braton, Dera, etc, etc all look and behave like functional sci-fi assault rifles.

Though I will admit that a lot of weapons do look weird, and sometimes I'm left wondering as to how they work exactly.

But that's kind of a running theme in Warframe right? unorthodox weapons that just look alien, but you can't help but feel powerful using them. (With the right mods)

If your trying to get at making weapons more 'realistic' and practical, I'm for that. Might go along well with FashionFrame if your.. whatever is wielding an Assault Carbine, with a built-in grenade launcher, a holographic sight, and selected fire modes. That sounds kinda cool actually..

human_assault_rifle_by_vladmrk-d7gkkfj.j

I can see my Valkyr with one of these. :satisfied:

Would love to see the first 2 and the 4th of the third picture (could be a railgun).

We are kind of getting more and more realistic guns, the Baza and Corinth for example. If you need one right now, the Baza, Braton, Latron, Tiberon, Stradavar, Corinth, Furis, Lato, Lex, Vasto, Viper and (though a Stretch) Twin Gremlins, are the most realistic guns out there.

Also, we need more bullpup guns.

Edited by Dwolfknight

2 things i hate the most in this game:

1) guns with shoulder stocks that are too short to fit the warframes
I cant understand this one. why is this even a problem. Does DE just eyeball the modelling with no measurements and care to proportions?

2) weird reloads that dont make sense
A lot of the guns with these issues are old so its understandeable DE were not paying as much attention to detail years ago as they do now. but i really wish they would go back and give the guns proper reloads.
eg like dera has no magazine, somehow reloads by pressing 1 button
boltor prime has no magazine, reloads by pulling a lever back and forth
latron and braton prime dont have magazines. its funny cos they fixed the mk1 braton last year but forgot about the prime...
vectis is also just a lever/cover

Edited by Ragingwasabi

33 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

I cant understand this one. why is this even a problem. Does DE just eyeball the modelling with no measurements and care to proportions?

A lot of the guns with these issues are old so its understandeable DE were not paying as much attention to detail years ago as they do now. but i really wish they would go back and give the guns proper reloads.
latron and braton prime dont have magazines. its funny cos they fixed the mk1 braton last year but forgot about the prime...

From what I've heard, it is common to eyeball stuff in 3D modeling.  Mostly because they make guns based on reference images instead of design blueprint.  Other than that it is usually communication issues between artists (one makes warframe, the other makes weapon, one make reload animation).

Not sure how their team works, but they might have a dedicated animator to animate reload because usually they release reload animation in bulk (not when weapon first comes out)

1 minute ago, Hueminator said:

From what I've heard, it is common to eyeball stuff in 3D modeling.  Mostly because they make guns based on reference images instead of design blueprint. 

suppose that makes sense. but you'd think they would check how everything fits together after they finish, and try to fix issues like this

57 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

Boy can I not wait until you discover the reload animations of certain infested weapons. You just gotta tickle them or rub them the right way and boom, they're filled back up and ready for action again. (Take that however you want, we all know we're talking about guns here.)

Edited by Minatos_Gordem

1 hour ago, Ragingwasabi said:

Those are not stocks - they are Sig stabalizing braces.  If they were stocks, tenno would have to get BATF tax stamps for them as SBR's. :crylaugh:

24 minutes ago, Hueminator said:

weird reloads that dont make sense

and reload times.  as an IDPA/USPSA participant, most of them just make me cringe.

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

@Ada_Wong_SG

Yeah, but I wouldn't actually put that soma, (new) braton, vectis, vulkar, stradivar, gorgon or rubico up to my shoulder and fire it if you payed me. I like my shoulder stocks to hug my shoulder, not cave it in :P

The thing is the warframe is capable of hauling an archgun without an issue while flying in archwing missions.

So the recoil from regular guns shouldn't be much issue? 

Not sure what kind of logic is it but considering the warframe arms are rather strong. 

Realistically a flat buttstock would mostly be comfortable only if you are wearing light clothing, combat pouches and body armor can interfere with shouldering of rifles.  This might be why warframe never seems to fully shoulder a weapon but kind of held them floating. 

15 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

The thing is the warframe is capable of hauling an archgun without an issue while flying in archwing missions.

So the recoil from regular guns shouldn't be much issue? 

Not sure what kind of logic is it but considering the warframe arms are rather strong. 

Realistically a flat buttstock would mostly be comfortable only if you are wearing light clothing, combat pouches and body armor can interfere with shouldering of rifles.  This might be why warframe never seems to fully shoulder a weapon but kind of held them floating. 

If we're getting into lore crafting, I don't think many of the guns in warframe are particularly made to fit warframes, they're still Corpus/Grineer/Civilian, it's just that we're the ones who buy all of them up (though we do still have plenty of "by the tenno, for the tenno" weapons, but even amongst those, they're still used by non-warframe tenno operatives).

I really think it's just that DE are not actually gun makers, and sometimes get things sort of right, but for the most part everything is rule-of-cool rather than ergonomic.

Edited by rapt0rman

Oh nice I see we are talking about realism with Warframe again. Because SPACE-MAGIC, that`s why......

For the designs - they could work as tenno weapons which are "archaic" and that`s what made them work against Sentient lore wise afaik. They didn`t consider a ancient idea of making a small object fly very very very fast :crylaugh:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Realism... in gun designs? TENNO and OROKIN gun designs? The same guns made by egotistical, gold gilded, sadistic, space magic wielding demi-gods who have to have everything gilded in gold and so over-engineered that even the Germans wouldn't use so many parts just to lock open the chamber (the Mauser C96 used a system of levers and locks to lock open the bolt, at least 5 to 10 pieces. the colt 1911 used a hook, 1 piece).

But i can understand it for grineer (to a degree) and corpus though. But rule of thumb for power fantasy, rule of cool, and realistic design takes a side seat. 

• Like 1