Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the Ohma a viable weapon late game?

FlyingPengwyn

Question

I bought a cosmetic armor pack and it came with the Ohma tonfa, and I was wondering if it could take me far in the game. I am only MR4 right now. I also have the Vulnos which I am really liking, and was wondering if it would be worth a 🥔. Any help would be appreciated, and this is my first time on the forums, so feel free to offer and pointers to make a better post. See you on the battlefield Tenno!

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, VortexMaster24 said:

I bought a cosmetic armor pack and it came with the Ohma tonfa, and I was wondering if it could take me far in the game. I am only MR4 right now. I also have the Vulnos which I am really liking, and was wondering if it would be worth a 🥔. Any help would be appreciated, and this is my first time on the forums, so feel free to offer and pointers to make a better post. See you on the battlefield Tenno!

Yeah, they're pretty decent, but I wouldn't recommend usin' 'em with squishy frames.

Ohma is great! Of the few tonfas in the game, it’s the only elemental-based one, and it's great at getting status procs. Volnus is also really good as a status-heavy hammer, not to mention its majority of damage in slash. You may potato either or both for the best results.

However, I don’t suggest getting too many of these good weapons from the getgo. You’ll feel underwhelmed by a lot of other weapons, especially under the melee category. It would be best to first master all the weapons that junctions give you or that drop from enemies. Market weapons would be next on that list, and then clan dojo research weapons. Hopefully you’ve joined a clan and seen what there is, but do take it slow or you’ll burn out easily! And when you’re in doubt about any weapon or other piece of equipment, check out the Warframe Wiki for stats and other useful info. There are also plenty of YouTube videos on Warframes and weapons, mostly regarding how they fare in endgame content.

On its own, its a decent melee with good status. If you like Tonfa weapons it can be a fine pick but isn't remarkable. If using conditional mods this matters less, as the mod and meeting the condition is more important than the weapon they are attached to; though innate speed and reach are good either way.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will take it to heart and go slow so I will now burn out. Is the Volnus a good weapon? I saw some YouTube video of iFlynn killing a lvl 150 heavy gunner really really fast with it, so I'm guessing it it at least decent?

Edited by VortexMaster24

provided you can protect yourself from Enemy Damage, yes.

as for Volus, Arca Titron is uh, better in general than Volnus honestly other than lower Attack Speed. Volnus does have the benefit of having a full IPS spread so that Condition Overload will have one more Status available to it but w/e.
Volnus will perform fine though, since it's a Crit Slash Status Weapon it is automatically good.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1

While there are certainly weapons that are less effective than others depending on personal preference/playstyle, there's not a single solitary weapon in this game that cannot be made viable for any content currently in game. And no, I'm not talking about rivens. Those are just icing on the cake. Unless you are doing endless endurance runs (not normal content at all) you will never see an enemy higher than 60-ish I think in normal starchart missions, and even in sorties the levels rarely go past 100, so using a level 150 heavy gunner as your benchmark for what is "viable" is just silly. If you mod your weapons properly to deal with the enemy you plan on fighting, there is no reason whatsoever outside of the aforementioned preference/playstyle that any weapon you take a liking to shouldn't be able to get the job done.

tl;dr yes, the Ohma and Volnus are perfectly fine... as long as you mod properly.

On 2018-03-12 at 12:57 AM, DarkSkysz said:

It's a tonfa...they are not really good at high level. They lack range with is a vital status when fighting things that can one shot you.

That and The Sovereign Outcast Stance SUCKS. !!!

On 2018-03-12 at 12:47 AM, Th3Penguin said:

You could consider getting The Telos Boltace.... Or The Kronen Prime.... These are the only other two Tonfa class weapons in the game I know of.... 

Kronen Prime Actually is a good weapon.... Much better than The Telos Boltace.... But both these weapons have an MR Lock on them so I don't think you can use either of them just yet...

On 2018-03-11 at 3:07 PM, Th3Penguin said:

Thanks for the advice guys, I will take it to heart and go slow so I will now burn out. Is the Volnus a good weapon? I saw some YouTube video of iFlynn killing a lvl 150 heavy gunner really really fast with it, so I'm guessing it it at least decent?

At your level.  Just about any weapon you enjoy using is decent.

I do like the Volnus and have the prime.  I don't use it a whole bunch but I love it. 

As for a potato.  That really depends on you. Unless you have no intention of using something beyond leveling it(mastery). I personally think it is worth the potato.

A 60 mod capacity at 30 hands you so much mod capacity that most weapons become immediately viable in the start chart. 

I say anything you enjoy while playing with it in a mission is worth a potato.  But at the same time try to use nightwave, invasion, and alert potatoes when you get them. Buying them with plat will feel like a waste in the long run. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Wasn't even in the game when this topic was made, and neither was the big Melee rework / rebalance.

It's usually a good idea to check post dates, you responded to a 2018 topic :P

Hey it happens the forum doesn't seem to have a consistent archive function.

If someone searches the topic and see the replies they may help even if they're no longer relative to the topic.