The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you think Warframe is P2W?

(PSN)Eagleman443

Although if we're talking about locked contents, in some way it is - namely Slots. Weapon Slots, Warframe Slots, Riven Slots, Slots Slots slots. They're in particular a semi-road block to progression if you don't have Platinum. Starting the game early on without any friends can make things pretty difficult with the constant Buy-and-Sell just so you can have new things. Choosing whether to keep it or not makes it undesirable for new players without someone to support them (50 Platinum for Beginners is enough to buy at least 2-4 Weapon Slots and possibly another Warframe Slot, but they'll burn through those slots really quickly).

BUT - Trading Chat is there, although early on you'll most likely drown with WTS/WTB Rivens and other things, you'll eventually get a few platinum to endure the massive content.

Short answer: No

Long answer: Since there is nothing that you really "need" that is exclusive to plat. Yeah the slots are really nice but you can effectively play the game without them. That said it would be nice if new accounts got a few more starter slots and/or the option to buy a few slots for credits before pushing the plat slots. Just to take some of the edge off being a new player in Warframe. Even tho you can effectively play without them. 

Never understood why people say Warframe is pay to win. It legit cant be pay to win. Everything is earneable ingame with decent amount of time put into it, thus it is regarded as pay to rush but not pay to win. Plus pay to win is usually referred to games with PvP aspects where cash shop items legit gave the player a boost over other players and if yall haven’t noticed, conclave is pretty much a dead aspect of warframe and conclave has different mods than PvE so no not pay to win.

its not but its heading in a bad direction since rivens have kind of taken  over the market i feel the game already scares people and i think if i was a new player i would look in trade chat and go wtf why does everything cost so much obviously i know that rivens can just be ignored but when you first start you're looking at what you can get and what you can sell and all you see is people selling things for like 100k plat.

Technical answer: No

Real Answer: Yes

How one defines “win” in Pay-to-win could be debated. Having the entire game be versus the environment detracts from winning anything when it’s about a squad working together. All of the content is accessible and even sorties are not difficult (even without too much planning). Someone might pick a frame or a weapon for a particular mission, but they are never NEEDED nor required. So no. 

BUT, the game would be a pain in the ass to play without monetary investment. The game is free to play sure, but that’s until MR 3 when you need more slots for things. For those of you saying to farm relics and trade for platinum, that platinum comes from somewhere and that’s another player buying it at one end. 

The ability to switch gear or frame at will is what keeps players playing. That is only accessible with platinum investment from you or someone else. Does it bother me? No. But it certainly exists. I spent $30 on platinum when on sale one time and it has carried me farther than I’ve needed it to. It was well worth it. But if I wouldn’t have bought it, I would have quit Warframe two years ago when I started. 

It's pay to skip and not play the game. Skipping grind and all that, which makes it pointless unless it's Hema or something.

As for other aspects of P2W.. are there any paywalls, things that a F2P player like me are blocked from obtaining without spending $$$? Only Tennogen (excluding consoles) and Prime Access accessories, all of which are cosmetics.

Considering this game is a loot collector and inventory slots (warframes, weapons, riven mods, pets, sentinels, archwing, idk if I missed anything else) are needed if you want to progress and have a decent pick of loadouts. The ONLY way to get slots is by plat, and it doesn't matter if you bought plat, or your friend bought it for you, or you traded plat bought by some stranger, it still requires real money paid by someone.

Side notes: P2W is different than Paywalls, the difference being the former can have more than one method of reaching an in-game goal, and the other only has one way, with real money. Look up Totalbiscuit's explanation on the subject if you still disagree.

I see so many people praising Warframe because of it's business model, but in reality, so many other games have horrible practices (dlc, loot boxes, etc.) in comparison. You truly CANNOT play this game to endgame without spending plat.

I do know that without this business model, Warframe wouldn't exist today or being doing so well with it's growing population of registered losers. I see it as a necessary evil and don't see the game moving away from making you but more slots, and adding new things for slot purchases.

So, yes, Warframe is P2W.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:41 PM, (PS4)Eagleman443 said:

Personally, I don’t think it’s P2W since you can earn most of the stuff ingame through blueprints and by grinding for parts of said blueprints 

Do you think people post stuff here thinking it's amazingly original when in fact it's been beaten to death many, many times?

3 hours ago, Warfoxzero said:

Considering this game is a loot collector and inventory slots (warframes, weapons, riven mods, pets, sentinels, archwing, idk if I missed anything else) are needed if you want to progress and have a decent pick of loadouts. The ONLY way to get slots is by plat, and it doesn't matter if you bought plat, or your friend bought it for you, or you traded plat bought by some stranger, it still requires real money paid by someone.

Side notes: P2W is different than Paywalls, the difference being the former can have more than one method of reaching an in-game goal, and the other only has one way, with real money. Look up Totalbiscuit's explanation on the subject if you still disagree.

I see so many people praising Warframe because of it's business model, but in reality, so many other games have horrible practices (dlc, loot boxes, etc.) in comparison. You truly CANNOT play this game to endgame without spending plat.

I do know that without this business model, Warframe wouldn't exist today or being doing so well with it's growing population of registered losers. I see it as a necessary evil and don't see the game moving away from making you but more slots, and adding new things for slot purchases.

So, yes, Warframe is P2W.

If it's pay to win, its a really low quality pay to win system. There are many of ways to get through the game without paying a dime. You can sell your prime parts you can get for free to get plat from other players. They may have bought the platinum but you got the platinum for free and can now buy slots for more weapons. 

Warframe is not pay to win. Warframe is get over it and give money to the game every so often or farm prime parts for plat.

Edited by CupcakesMoo

My noob summary : 

• If folks do not play PvP at lower ranks, the payer options/bonuses do not really matter.  It becomes a question of preference (time/budget). 
  • You can try the game for free, which is always awesome in my book.
  • For only 5 USD yesterday, I got about 200 Platinum, which seems like enough to buy some slots and I bought a color pack. 
    • So if you like the game and play it a lot, spending 30 to 40 $ seems quite legit to support the company. 

As for the question as such, I plead that US amendment right to shut up (though I'm Canadian). 

Edited by Baraz-Siriel

Really the only thing you need to buy is slots and you can get the money for those easily without paying. I prefer to throw money at the game every so often just because. But I've kinda run out of things to buy besides the odd slot and booster. I've already figured that the rest of the weapons in the market are better made with the foundry than bought. I've potatoed all the weapons I like the most and my new hydroid prime has a potato. 

I havent really won anything save for shaving weeks off of getting the stuff I have. I could have done worse things with $150. Like buy crown royal like its a thing to do. 

Define "Win"...

If it's mean "Winning every matchs/games" - Warframe is not P2W. You can win every games even without paying a dollar. If you lose it is your false not because you didn't pay.

If it's mean "Better then everyone" - Yes, Warframe is P2W. Player who pay to get Platinum can buy better Riven Mod/have more moding capacity in their weapons/Warframes. Thus they're better then everyone else... But what did you get for being better?? It's not like you won't lose any matchs/games either... Also, even non-paying player can effort those Riven/Weapon-Warframe Capacity easily.

PS. This comment base on core gameplay, which is PvE. Not base on any Conclave/PvP content. Since I never play Conclave.