Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Toxic Player vs Me : a simple question turn into debate

RickyZen

i've been keeping this secret for long time, and i decided to reveal this to you guys as proof that being a toxic player will make you no different than any other and instead makes you far worse than any other..

so, when i was MR6 (now 9, on the way to 10) i was asking in the public chat about drop location of a specific warframe, and i got good response of where it is, until there is this one player, whisper me.. telling me to open Warframe Wiki instead of Public chat asking.. not only that, he says "its annoying to see players like you asking about this and that in the public chat", really? a simple question like that is an annoyance? yes i do know warframe wiki, im always visit it everyday but that time i just want some simple answer without opening the wiki. but this one player just like salty, edgy player who doesn't want to see new player asking for direction.. so yeah i got some little debate with this player and mute that player immediately,

the drama doesn't end there.. i see in the public chat the same player trying to "Public Shaming" me, but he got warned by others that public shaming is not allowed in Warframe.
so yeah, because of this one player.. my faith about this game is lost and my schedule of playing this game 4 hours a day now reduced to 1 hour a day, and the epilogue of this drama is the next few days later i got some message from Warframe team that contain "Terms of Rules" or something, according to my friend, that is a warning message, meaning someone reported you for something bad..

welp, a single question.. looking for simple answer.. turn into a warning message from Warframe team by a single Toxic player who doesn't like new players asking for direction of "where to get this?" or "where to get that?" ... a solid proof that Mute button is better than your own keyboard..

until now, i still remember that drama and message.. still giving me bad vibe every time i play.. but fortunately im an easy-going type of player, im just enjoying the game as long as there is something to chase..

let me know in the comment down below, what is your moment in Warframe that giving you bad vibe or something? or anything you want to say?

Someone was toxic and that is putting you off of playing the game more but... people stepped in and defended you against public shaming. The people defending you are the majority, there are toxic players in all games and nice players in all games. Just keep your head up high and ignore toxic players when you find them.

I remember way back when, I went into a pug as a new player. It was an infinite defense. I didn't know about Vauban's trap back then (or any other warframes but my Excalibur), so I spent my time setting off his traps. When finally they decided to call it a day, that player did a number on me on chat. That was in 2013, and I stopped playing soon after. Just started back in February, and I enjoy myself more now, but I have to admit that I turn down public chat and only go in a pug if I really need it. You see, some players have forgotten how steep the learning curve is in this game, and instead of helping out, they just assume you're a troll. But there's a lot of patient players that I've had in pugs since I came back that didn't blast me if I couldn't find my way to the extraction point. And now that I got to learn the tile sets better, I find myself more often than not being the one waiting, and with a smile! I might even rejoin the community of public chat one of these days, who knows?

Are you kidding me? Who complains about asking a question in the chat that is literally used for asking questions and memes? I would love to see how this guy reacts when new content is out and everyone is spamming in the chat asking where it is or how to get it.

Yeah, asking questions is always understandable, sadly some players do get various cases of space madness from time to time. Best case is to just try to avoid it and turn back from such things lest it worm its way into more fertile minds; but either way, chat and the forums are excellent resources and don't let someone with a bad day stop you from communications.

25 minutes ago, RickyZen said:

i've been keeping this secret for long time, and i decided to reveal this to you guys as proof that being a toxic player will make you no different than any other and instead makes you far worse than any other..

so, when i was MR6 (now 9, on the way to 10) i was asking in the public chat about drop location of a specific warframe, and i got good response of where it is, until there is this one player, whisper me.. telling me to open Warframe Wiki instead of Public chat asking.. not only that, he says "its annoying to see players like you asking about this and that in the public chat", really? a simple question like that is an annoyance? yes i do know warframe wiki, im always visit it everyday but that time i just want some simple answer without opening the wiki. but this one player just like salty, edgy player who doesn't want to see new player asking for direction.. so yeah i got some little debate with this player and mute that player immediately,

the drama doesn't end there.. i see in the public chat the same player trying to "Public Shaming" me, but he got warned by others that public shaming is not allowed in Warframe.
so yeah, because of this one player.. my faith about this game is lost and my schedule of playing this game 4 hours a day now reduced to 1 hour a day, and the epilogue of this drama is the next few days later i got some message from Warframe team that contain "Terms of Rules" or something, according to my friend, that is a warning message, meaning someone reported you for something bad..

welp, a single question.. looking for simple answer.. turn into a warning message from Warframe team by a single Toxic player who doesn't like new players asking for direction of "where to get this?" or "where to get that?" ... a solid proof that Mute button is better than your own keyboard..

until now, i still remember that drama and message.. still giving me bad vibe every time i play.. but fortunately im an easy-going type of player, im just enjoying the game as long as there is something to chase..

let me know in the comment down below, what is your moment in Warframe that giving you bad vibe or something? or anything you want to say?

To cover your tail, make screenshots of those conversations and prove to Support that you were innocent.

4 minutes ago, ChatNinja said:

Are you kidding me? Who complains about asking a question in the chat that is literally used for asking questions and memes? I would love to see how this guy reacts when new content is out and everyone is spamming in the chat asking where it is or how to get it.

I have joined many online clans and guilds and such, and I have been harassed and blacklisted by members that did not appreciate my "asking questions".  People like that exist and there are lots of them.  Each one i encountered came off as if they knew everything about the game, but when i asked a simple question, they could not answer or refused to asnwer and angrily told me to "google" it up.  It happens, a lot.

This is why I turned off Region Chat.

Some advice for you OP.
Assume that 95% of the players you meet, group with (publically), & see in Region are scum & have the worst of intentions.

Typically just avoid trying to "ask for advice" unless you plan to trigger the Chat-Bot to answer you.
Also when most players offer to help, assume there is a string attached, so be careful.

Don't let toxic players ruin your fun. Don't even give them the chance to ruin it.
I have a Zero Tolerance policy for Toxics, Trolls, Bullies, & etc.

If they somehow manage to attack/insult/harass me. I deal with them harshly then promptly ignore/delete them. (Which reminds me. I need to double check my Blacklists in-game & Forum)

If you let that jerk reduce your playtime then you'll let him or her win. To hell with that.
You log on, you play to your hearts content & you slit the throat of every toxic player who comes your way. Block there punk A***** as soon as possible & report them.

I'd go so far as to relay this very event to the Support team. Let them know he wrongfully reported you! He probably made us some BS hence why you got warned.
So you message them, tell them these events. They'll check the backlogs & hopefully ban that scumbag.

Since you got that warning, i guess "debate" is very light term for what was said, soo... he succeeded? I hate to be that guy, but have to point out when there's argument about nothing, then both parties in the wrong. Dont feed the trolls. Coulda just mute him, walk away and continue to enjoi the game.

After all, as you said, other ppl were quick to point out to this guy he's in the wrong.

Ok so heres the thing, before poe the game wasnt that huge, it had a loyal playerbase who have been in the game for a long time but that also meant only a few players ever asked questions in chat or needed help with missions, since the number of newbies was so small it was easy to manage them and help them out, it used to be for every 1 newbie 100 elites would help out, but since the second dream/war within the numbers jumped, to counter this a number of veterans created new player clans to manage the new players, but since with the poe update the playerbase has exploded

warframe went from 26 million users and suddenly it jumped to 38 million, the regular concurrent playerbase used to be 30,000 - 35,000, now it averages at 80,000 to 120,000 players, now there are 100 newbies for every 1 veteran, and for the ones who helped newbies learn the game early on theyre getting overwhelmed and burned out, instead of helping 1 to 3 newbies out if youre not careful you can end up helping upto 50 newbies out all at once

we really appreciate all the new people in the game but some of us have been helping far longer than others and its burning them out, region chat used to always be every player helping the new guy out, now its a majority of players referring the new guy to the wiki, theyre not bad people though and of all the players in the game very few are actually toxic

Edited by renogaza
Corrections

Its sad that people like that person have to waste their and our time.  WF is a "Mentoring" game, and all of us had help from someone else.  Its a "Pay It Forward" game where at some point you will be able to pay back all the people who helped you by helping someone newer than you.  To me that is the WF Ethic.  :)

As for people bugging you verbally: MUTE feature
For people bugging you in chat: IGNORE feature

And yes we have all encountered people like that.  Do you best to just block them and move on (*speaking from having done so even as recently as yesterday*)

It happens everywhere on the internet, sadly. As if being in front of a computer/console means that you're no longer a human being, and all the norms worked out by humanity over thousands of years no longer apply. 

I've been pretty lucky so far, and haven't been a target of verbal abuse much. There was a case of a guy that took significant time and effort to try to educate me how intellectually superior he is after I refused to camp on a survival fissure with two pre-nerf WOF Embers who were killing all the spawns before they had a chance to get corrupted - it was rather unpleasant, but not that bad, as he was still using relatively polite (albeit all caps) language. There were many cases where other people got abused in team chat for making little mistakes during Eidolon hunts - these are the hardest for me, because trying to defend someone usually triggers the aggressor more, and that's when things can get truly toxic. 

The only way to deal with it is like with bullies in real life - grow a thicker skin, avoid/ignore such players, report them if they go over the top. I do see an increased number of immature players lately, but that's because there are more players overall, and there is always a percentage that's immature, stupid, nasty - like in a normal human population. Don't let it stop your fun.

3 hours ago, ChatNinja said:

That's actually quite common.. The amount of ppl on ps4 who ask "How do get to Cetus" or "where's Baro at" on a Tuesday afternoon is exhausting. 

I try to help ppl with legit questions as much as possible, but it does get tiring seeing the same stuff asked over and over. 

Luckily, I have DC chat to escape to where actual conversations can take place 

It's all a matter of persistent behaviour. If someone asks one or two questions in the char, that's not a big deal at all. If the person's littering chat with dozens of chained questions a la: "What are Orokin cells? Where do I get them? Can anyone join me? What frame should I use for farming? Where can I get Nekros? What is the Derelict?...", then things start getting disruptive.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

This is why I turned off Region Chat.

Some advice for you OP.
Assume that 95% of the players you meet, group with (publically), & see in Region are scum & have the worst of intentions.

Typically just avoid trying to "ask for advice" unless you plan to trigger the Chat-Bot to answer you.
Also when most players offer to help, assume there is a string attached, so be careful.

Don't let toxic players ruin your fun. Don't even give them the chance to ruin it.
I have a Zero Tolerance policy for Toxics, Trolls, Bullies, & etc.

If they somehow manage to attack/insult/harass me. I deal with them harshly then promptly ignore/delete them. (Which reminds me. I need to double check my Blacklists in-game & Forum)

If you let that jerk reduce your playtime then you'll let him or her win. To hell with that.
You log on, you play to your hearts content & you slit the throat of every toxic player who comes your way. Block there punk A***** as soon as possible & report them.

I'd go so far as to relay this very event to the Support team. Let them know he wrongfully reported you! He probably made us some BS hence why you got warned.
So you message them, tell them these events. They'll check the backlogs & hopefully ban that scumbag.

Spoiler

You kinda sound like a jerk yourself if I may be so honest. With how overly negative of an outset you have of just about everyone, There is plenty, plenty of good natured players in the game, players more then willing to help you out with anything you may need. Be it help on a mission, or just an answer to a question.

You assume that ''95% of players you meet'' are scumbags, after all, you surely follow your own advice, otherwise you wouldn't give it to OP. That is going to taint your behavior and attitude. Even when one does offer help, you're like ''always assume there's a string attached, they're scum!!''

Someone who is good natured themselves doesn't need a blacklist about as long as Hitler's list of crimes against humanity. My blacklist sees no use, at all, I don't need it. When I encounter someone toxic, I either sit the mission out or leave. And usually I never see them again. Problem solved.

@RickyZen OP, don't let one such an encounter get you down. Give it a place and move on. Let the game show you that they most certainly aren't the dominating persona of a Warframe player. You said it yourself, OP, when he slandered you, there was plenty of people ready to tell him he can't do that. For every toxic bastard there is a dozen players in this community that aren't anything like that.

-Edit-

I do want to clarify, I'm certainly not saying one can't use ignore/block functions when someone is persistently harassing you in game or on the forums. By all means, use it, that's what it's for. @(PS4)Zero_029 however strikes me as the kind of person who makes frequent use of it for literally every petty little thing he perceives as a slight.

Edited by Lanadra

9 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

Reveal hidden contents

You kinda sound like a jerk yourself if I may be so honest. With how overly negative of an outset you have of just about everyone, There is plenty, plenty of good natured players in the game, players more then willing to help you out with anything you may need. Be it help on a mission, or just an answer to a question.

You assume that ''95% of players you meet'' are scumbags, after all, you surely follow your own advice, otherwise you wouldn't give it to OP. That is going to taint your behavior and attitude. Even when one does offer help, you're like ''always assume there's a string attached, they're scum!!''

Someone who is good natured themselves doesn't need a blacklist about as long as Hitler's list of crimes against humanity. My blacklist sees no use, at all, I don't need it. When I encounter someone toxic, I either sit the mission out or leave. And usually I never see them again. Problem solved.

@RickyZen OP, don't let one such an encounter get you down. Give it a place and move on. Let the game show you that they most certainly aren't the dominating persona of a Warframe player. You said it yourself, OP, when he slandered you, there was plenty of people ready to tell him he can't do that. For every toxic bastard there is a dozen players in this community that aren't anything like that.

Bravo Bravo, that was well played, i agree as well even when i occassionally meet the odd player who thinks im helping him out because i want something from him, if anything all i could ask for is for him to help others out when he reaches a comfortable point in the game

its also the reason i still run a ghost clan of 2 people instead of recruiting newbies to slave over researches and decor, if it was a game like eve online this behavior would be totally acceptable but its just wrong in a game like this, as long as youre having fun then feck it! lol

Cheers lanadra :)

Edited by renogaza
Added spacing

Some players are Toxic. Its the same wherever you go, especially on the internet. But toxicity in WF is abysmal as far as i can see. Most toxic players are either a bored tenno looking to troll someone, or newbs trying to imitate a veteran by being an elitist. So always ignore toxic players unless you're looking for some finger exercise.

As for players helping each other, as long as you're not begging, the community is pretty cool about it. Some vets will actually help you (with no strings attached) simply because theres not much else to do.

Next time, if someone is doing something mean to you or someone else, screenshot or take a video then report them to Support.

Help to take out the garbage from the game.

That said, I don't think you got reported because of that. Not saying that it can't be a mistake from Support though.

Just to share, tickets to Support are treated very very seriously.

False reports can get the person reporting it punished.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

38 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

(PS4)Zero_029 however strikes me as the kind of person who makes frequent use of it for literally every petty little thing he perceives as a slight.

You're entitled to your opinion of me. I respect it. Believe it or not. I don't waltz around pretending to be a hero.

I've been burned too many times to not be on guard.

But actually my in-game List consists of 10 names (currently). Each one for legitimate reasons/wrongdoings.

I've played MANY MMOs. One thing I learned over the years & countless betrayals/backstabs that I have encountered is:

"Trust is earned. Never given."

So far all my encounters through Region Chat have been negative/bordered on what the OP went through. Trade Chat has been 50/50.

I also got cheated atleast 5 times through trading while I was a noob. Lost 2 Condition Overloads (got told they were common) for a Rage, overpaid for Frost Prime (for the guy to laugh, call me a noob, then tell me I should learn look up what prime with prime.), also got cheated out of my ayatan sculptures (guy tricked my noob) said if I gave him 6 of my ayatans plus 100p he'd give me Primed Flow, also had 1 guy join the clan buy all research then bail "Thanks for the loot".

Just last week, I met a guy who thanks to my clanmate learned I can solo all 3 Eidolons, so theu buttered me up & asked me to take then on a few runs. Afterwards his friend contacts me in private. Acted friendly, I gave him a chance. Soon discovered a pattern...

He will ONLY group with me if I'm running Eidolons. He calms down after a few captures. But once he burns through those shards. He returns to begging me to carry him. I stopped. On the verge of blocking. I've tried to explain what he needs to fight them, how to gear for them. Everything ignored. He even told me I talk too much. So...to hell with him I said.

Bottomline.

Life reminded me REAL fast that no one can be trusted online. Thanks to the anonymity of the internet, jerks are empowered.

At the same time, in reference to the OP, you can't let these folks slide. Nor can you let them ruin your fun.

Stand your ground to toxicity & enjoy your game.

I've found that when I play "nice" with toxic people. My fun ends up ruined.

I don't know what to really tell you, I have met my fare share of a$$hole$ in this game but I have never let that affect how I view this game. May be its because I first need to first respect someone's opinion before I can even take it into account. Personally I wouldn't even bother remembering that idiot's name but that's just me, I would let it go.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

You're entitled to your opinion of me. I respect it. Believe it or not. I don't waltz around pretending to be a hero.

I've been burned too many times to not be on guard.

But actually my in-game List consists of 10 names (currently). Each one for legitimate reasons/wrongdoings.

I've played MANY MMOs. One thing I learned over the years & countless betrayals/backstabs that I have encountered is:

"Trust is earned. Never given."

So far all my encounters through Region Chat have been negative/bordered on what the OP went through. Trade Chat has been 50/50.

I also got cheated atleast 5 times through trading while I was a noob. Lost 2 Condition Overloads (got told they were common) for a Rage, overpaid for Frost Prime (for the guy to laugh, call me a noob, then tell me I should learn look up what prime with prime.), also got cheated out of my ayatan sculptures (guy tricked my noob) said if I gave him 6 of my ayatans plus 100p he'd give me Primed Flow, also had 1 guy join the clan buy all research then bail "Thanks for the loot".

Just last week, I met a guy who thanks to my clanmate learned I can solo all 3 Eidolons, so theu buttered me up & asked me to take then on a few runs. Afterwards his friend contacts me in private. Acted friendly, I gave him a chance. Soon discovered a pattern...

He will ONLY group with me if I'm running Eidolons. He calms down after a few captures. But once he burns through those shards. He returns to begging me to carry him. I stopped. On the verge of blocking. I've tried to explain what he needs to fight them, how to gear for them. Everything ignored. He even told me I talk too much. So...to hell with him I said.

Bottomline.

Life reminded me REAL fast that no one can be trusted online. Thanks to the anonymity of the internet, jerks are empowered.

At the same time, in reference to the OP, you can't let these folks slide. Nor can you let them ruin your fun.

Stand your ground to toxicity & enjoy your game.

I've found that when I play "nice" with toxic people. My fun ends up ruined.

Hmm, very well, thank you for providing a bit of context. I can somewhat see why you are so very on guard yourself. Still don't find it a good idea to impart that same point of view on others, but I can agree to disagree there.

I won't deny that being careful is never bad, especially in things like trading, with all these ''negative plat'' stories you see on the forums going around.

Edited by Lanadra

My best advice would be: Don't let someone like that ruin a game for you. That sort of person definitely isn't representative of the player base as a whole - most people who play are quite friendly and helpful.

Despite that, you'll get idiots no matter what game you're playing. Just mute them and move on. They're not worth thinking about, and certainly not worth putting down a game like Warframe.