The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 22.20.0] GPU Particles Feedback MEGATHREAD - Share Videos Where Possible!

aidan890

Hello Tenno!

GPU Particles are here! We encourage all PC players to get out there and try out the capabilities of this awesome new system for themselves! What colors look best? Which abilities have the most pop? We want to hear your thoughts on the new particle system once you've had a chance to try it out for yourself!

Please use this thread to share your feedback/criticisms/suggestions for the new GPU Particle system coming to Warframe with Beasts of the Sanctuary 22.20.0! Please provide picture/video examples to help support your feedback and remember that actual gameplay experience is always preferable to intense Simulacrum testing.

DdQY-rrUwAEse2N?format=jpg

Get out there and get LUDICROUS.

Seeing how we've taken a step away from dependency on nvidia effects/systems...

Any chance of an update for gore (blood etc.) in the future? Toggle of course but corpse amount, length of time before disappearing and whatnot would also be nice. On a further unrelated note, are 'negative' energy colours like black red, black blue, black white etc. also possible for effects in the future? Like below. I know it's Lightsabers but best shows the intent.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCToHGNM93F0UuQZD9d0bimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaYFC_4nK5ZgqLnGamsTWimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSinuRt2nRDlaZKJIEugBI

Also, I know it probably isn't possible now, but some showcasing of before and after for effects would (have been) cool to see some of the more signficant changes. Looking forward to seeing the changes in-game and whatever changes come in the future.

Edit:

Slightly particle related but I'd reported it before the update but I had hoped it would be fixed this time around, but when you destroy frozen enemies instead of creating the frost/ice effect they use gara's/astilla's glass shard effect instead as shown below.

Spoiler

7gUkW5C.jpg1NYWeGA.jpg

Likewise, think it's particle related, but could we see an update for the fire/flame effects? They've always looked a touch blurry and dated compared to everything else. Probably the same goes for Ember's effects too. A bit too 2Dish.

Spoiler

oVbGvAH.jpgCOEUi3D.jpg

Edited by Valiant

For some odd reason the settings option for the GPU particles is disabled for me and i am unable to view how spectacular these new particles are.

https://imgur.com/a/OodzVnd

the slightly grayed out GPU settings states it is completely disabled despite stating it is on high.

If this is indeed a bug a hotfix on this would be greatly appretiated

Edited by --RNGesus-PRIME--

I made no changes to my graphics/display settings (mostly set to High) after the update and in my opinion the particle system is a bit overkill.

Just ran a Spy mission alert on Mars and there were dust clouds everywhere and they were almost opaque which made seeing enemies difficult. They even spawned in indoor tilesets such as the spy vault rooms.

I tried lowering the settings for both the Particle System, and GPU Particles option but it did not change a thing at all.

The new Gpu particle system, is better in some things and in other worse, for example:

-The Jat Kittag particles from the ground slam is worse, than it was with Physx. (with Physx) YzYqa7c.jpg

-With the new system: n05qTTJ.jpg

now with this new system, looks mmm agg xc

-The Grineer radial blast has no particles now.

-The new capture effect looks amazing.

-Frost has new particles yay 😄

-The desintregration effect could have look better in the Ludicrous setting, here is an example (with Physx): d0UGMKg.gif

-Now with the new system (Ludicrous setting), it doesn´t do justice to what the name means:

F9bVNd1.jpg

-Something that disapointed me was the Excalibur Radial Blind, for example, if you use the Radial Blind ability, the effect looks like a firework instead of what it looked with only Flow particle system or the first Physx trailer, if the new Gpu particles, as Steve said that they will keep updating it through the year, i hope to see it back in its old glory (1:45):

-Now the Radial Blind looks like this:

NxY8nLf.jpg

-The explosion effect is good, but the old one was better:

-Before (First version with Physx):

b0ofqHY.jpg

-After (with the new system):

AUjkNag.jpg

In general, i'm grateful with the new work of the devs, but in my opinion, the new particles could have looked like the old Physx trailer and could had more colitions, as Steve said that they now have control of the code xc.

Edited by mirx

2 hours ago, x2yt said:

@[DE]Aidan Is locked GPU particles a bug, or is it maybe AMD GPU specific issue? Any ideas on that?

1 hour ago, --RNGesus-PRIME-- said:

For some odd reason the settings option for the GPU particles is disabled for me and i am unable to view how spectacular these new particles are.

https://imgur.com/a/OodzVnd

the slightly grayed out GPU settings states it is completely disabled despite stating it is on high.

If this is indeed a bug a hotfix on this would be greatly appretiated

Hey Tenno! It might be an issue of what version of Direct X you are using. From what I understand the Particles will not work on DX9 or older. Checking though!

45 minutes ago, dbugz said:

I made no changes to my graphics/display settings (mostly set to High) after the update and in my opinion the particle system is a bit overkill.

Just ran a Spy mission alert on Mars and there were dust clouds everywhere and they were almost opaque which made seeing enemies difficult. They even spawned in indoor tilesets such as the spy vault rooms.

I tried lowering the settings for both the Particle System, and GPU Particles option but it did not change a thing at all.

Hey Tenno! Very odd that lowering the level of GPU Particles appeared to make no change. Can you please share some screen cap examples?

cant play anymore also see cant lower gpu and the result of it i mean i could be something else within the update but before it was working now its not anymore or at least i have max 1 min to do what i can so basicly login and it isnt like i was telling after poe be carfull that you add details on off or low but Meh

20180517182329_1.jpganigif.gif

Edited by Keiyadan

On 2018-05-18 at 2:46 AM, [DE]Aidan said:

Hey Tenno! Very odd that lowering the level of GPU Particles appeared to make no change. Can you please share some screen cap examples?

Hi.

This screenshot has GPU Particles set to DISABLED:

I tried to capture other screenshots in an attempt to illustrate other settings (Low, Med, etc). After exiting the game, I myself had a hard time identifying which screenshot corresponded to its relevant setting while browsing them. They all looked the same.

Also, the following would illustrate what looks to be a texture or lighting issue with outoor vs indoors:

The indoor dust clouds tend to become too bright and somewhat opaque.

Edited by dbugz
Updated Imgur links

Is it possible to have an option for GPU particles to remain for longer? As of right now I feel they disappear too fast. Or in the very least particles still in motion don't vanish until it's "rested"

e.g. I use Secura Penta and I think with the new particles they disappear too fast.

37 minutes ago, Valiant said:

Wow.

Makes you even question whether we even had a new system in place. It hardly looks like what Steve has been showing off all these past weeks.

TBH, I feel it's really impressive. It's not PhysX, but it looks REALLY good in motion and this works for everyone. Also Steve always showcased only particles, never abilities and such -- some could use more, but some like Oberon's Smite or Nova's Orb are REALLY cool.

I just wanted to post that Volt used to have lots of PhysX particles before the change on his idles (he made them appear with the lighting and afterwards kind of make them float before they fell to the ground), but he doesn't anymore. Hopefully you guys can add it to him 🙂

latest?cb=20161127205658latest?cb=20161127205659

Edited by NightmareT12

Additional Note! If you are running DX 12 (which is not currently an option for Warframe) you may actually be running Warframe at DX 9. Please check the launcher settings to confirm that DX 10 and 11 are not disabled.

I'm a bit confused by the tooltips of the two new options. 

"GPU Particles" seems to affect the number of particles. What does "Particle System Quality" actually do?

I did some tests with Excalibur's Radial Blind and I can clearly see changes when playing around with the "GPU Particles" option but not with the other option. Maybe it's just my eyes?

42 minutes ago, -Virtuoso- said:

i was scared before turning it all the way up and enabling ludacrious, but it looks jolly good. No hiccups on my end with really shiny and polished feel. GGWP DE ❤️

DE said in their devstream unlike most systems such as Nvidia, these particles run on your GPU rather than your CPU.

I'm not gonna claim to know enough about the technical side of computers but apparently it really streamlines things.

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

DE said in their devstream unlike most systems such as Nvidia, these particles run on your GPU rather than your CPU.

I'm not gonna claim to know enough about the technical side of computers but apparently it really streamlines things.

GPUs compute in a far more efficient way when compared to CPUs, and are the way to go when you want to get something done in the quickest or most time-efficient way. CPUs are general computational devices and can handle a huge array of tasks (enemy A.I., logical calculations for damage, sounds, and so much more) whereas GPUs have sometimes thousands of processors working on just caching textures and outputting frames to the display several hundred times a second, based on information from the CPU.

I'm glad they went the way they did because I haven't had any issues at all so far, and it has drastically increased the fidelity of the game, in some areas more than others, but nonetheless increased.

I'll be sure to make note of issues I find later on (if any), thanks for the work on this, DE!
#It'sLudicrousOrNothing

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

2 minutes ago, Syln said:

Can't see a single particle anymore and it's kind of frustrating, i have DIrectX 11 (it's enable in the launcher), the option are set on ludicrous (démesuré) for particles and .... nothing 

https://imgur.com/a/6XxvzF2

https://imgur.com/a/2C2NGkE

https://imgur.com/a/8VuPiSe

The ones for Volt are missing because they need to re add them, but stuff like channeling or some casts like Banshee's 1 or all of EMber's abilities have it implemented 🙂