Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do you expect to see in the Melee rework?

tinyranitar

Currently as we know it Melee 3.0 has confirmed several things may or may not include (sorry my memory is terrible)

- Removal of Channeling
- Charge attack in quick melee
- Blocking reworked

So what else do you expect/wish to see?

This is my persona

I'd like to see Swords in general get buffed. Krohkur aside, most swords sucks due to the fact that you need to use either Condition Overload or Blood Rush crit build to be viable, when even the high ends swords like Dakra Prime and Broken War are optimal for neither

Old stances need a buff as well. Newer stances have better multiplier on hit and combo chain, as well as more combo options (even though we don't use most of those combo anyway) for many situation. Shimmering Blight and Bleeding Willow are both too inferior to Twirling Spire.

Combo Meter System needs some overhaul as well, especially for Exalted Weapons. Sure they're already immensely strong, but it's sad to see that they can't use the most basic of melee mechanics to their own as well. Combo system is also punished by spawn rate which makes your painstaking process of getting x2.5 multiplier to just simply disappear because enemies are too far apart.
Having something like combo decay would make it less annoying instead of losing the entire process, for example if you're at x2.5 you would decay to x2 after the combo duration went out and decay back to 1.5 with half the amount of time and so on. 

Bullet Deflection with Melee Strikes. I don't know why Warframe is called Ninja play free when we don't have the Ultimate Ninja fantasy that is cutting bullets in half mid flight. Probably not as a serious mean of defense, but more like sometimes when you randomly swing your weapon and ka-ching, you deflect a bullet or cut it in half. Apparently twirling your weapon wildly as the blocking system now does do that, but you're telling me melee strikes with the force of more than just your wrist doesn't? 

Channeling change: Instead of Channeling System, we should have something else called Blade Mode (don't sue me Platinum Game). Upon entering it cost energy, and then energy per second as it goes on. In this mode you gain various bonuses unique to the weapon type you wield (Scythe will grant you Life Steal and Heavy Blades would grant you knockdown resistance and armor etc). Enemies will also be highlighted with weak point where you can time your strike and hitting those would grant a bonus similar to headshot (because you can't aim with melee). You must wait at least 3 seconds to switch out of blade mode (prevent mindless use) and switching out of Blade mode refunds you energy (hard capped at 100) based on how many you taken down during this mode, and lock you out of it for a few second. In Blade Mode your strikes will deflect shots in an area in front of you instead of just your weapon's hitbox.

Exalted Melees except for Titania's are considered to already be in Blade Mode and does not cost additional energy, but have increased cost and scale with Blade Mode cost efficiency. 

Some additional change:

Channeling mod as of now will work in Blade Mode, and channeling efficiency now increases the cost of energy per second. You can equip as many as you want, but there will be a new Exilus slot where you can equip one of them (just like Warframe Exilus). 

Life Strike will now have a hard cap of healing you for 50 per enemy hit (instead of right now you just need a single finisher to fill your health bar leaving the energy cost with little to no consequences) but have much better efficiency penalty (only increases the cost of Blade Mode by 30%). Will still heal you more on finisher or upon hitting weak point, capping at 150 HP.
Killing Blow will also give you energy refund on Blade Mode kills, enabling a Blade Mode-centric gameplay
Corrupt Charge changes to Corrupt Blade, having 150% damage on channeling instead and have the same penalty. 
Quickening, True Punishment, Focused Defense have their values buffed and their penalty set to +50% Blade mode cost.

All the cost increases doesn't increase with mod rank and stay at a static value. Power Duration and Power Efficiency does not affect the cost except for Exalted Melees. 

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

If you have any idea for Melee 3.0 you want to share or if you have any opinion on mine, please comment below. Also this is just for kicks and giggles because we still don't know if it's a large scale rework or just buffing some melee weapons. 

11 hours ago, tinyranitar said:

Currently as we know it Melee 3.0 

Will finally make it so blood rush and drifting contact/body count aren't totally needed for a crit melee? That's my best hope to be honest, if you have a melee with 20% or more crit that's basically 2 mod slots gone instantly. Excited that they said "We'd buff weapons to compensate." hopefully that means destroying some of the needed mods for a lot of builds. 

30 minutes ago, Whitestrake0 said:

Will finally make it so blood rush and drifting contact/body count aren't totally needed for a crit melee? That's my best hope to be honest, if you have a melee with 20% or more crit that's basically 2 mod slots gone instantly. Excited that they said "We'd buff weapons to compensate." hopefully that means destroying some of the needed mods for a lot of builds. 

So that there would be another needed mod to take its place? Because that's what would happen. There's always defaults.

Range. The elephant in the room. 

Most weapons in the current system have nothing to offer in comparison to polearms/whips that can clear rooms with one swing. This has to change, one way or the other.

Also blocking, channeling and throwing weapons (Sigma&Octantis for reference here).

In the past melee was too weak. At the moment if you stack all meta mods it's too strong. Most primaries/secondaries pale in comparison.

16 minutes ago, Sahansral said:

Most weapons in the current system have nothing to offer in comparison to polearms/whips that can clear rooms with one swing. This has to change, one way or the other.

Also blocking, channeling and throwing weapons (Sigma&Octantis for reference here).

In the past melee was too weak. At the moment if you stack all meta mods it's too strong. Most primaries/secondaries pale in comparison.

I agree. Meta Mods have become something compulsory. I feel like Melee 3.0 should make it feel like equipping these Mods is to provide enjoyment, not power. Power should come along with the weapon as a stamp.

Meta mods start to even rival weapons like the Tigris Prime in pure strength and Slash. You can add Condition Overload, Primed Reach, Primed Pressure Point, Maiming Strike, Jagged Edge, Blood Rush and Body Count, and then a Berserker and watch how you can take out a room with little effort, unlike taking out a room with a necessity of a gun. It’s just too OP.

(I can’t build btw)

Crit mods are so compulsory for a slash type melee. And I don’t like that because that shows Crit mods are compulsory for only that specific weapon? What if you don’t enjoy using that weapon, but YOU have to use it to defeat high level enemies? 

1 hour ago, Sahansral said:

This ^ by far and hopefully seem some power put in to the smaller melee families like glaives, tonfas, and fans (Gunsen pliss buffs I need q.q)

1 hour ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Im hoping the power attacks finally offer real variation between the weapon class types. I mean you seen one polearm you seen em all. 

A special flourish, a lunge, AOE attack, special buffs. The possibilities are there. 

Or, if nothing else, the power attacks vary wildly from weapon type to weapon type. Because, frankly, there isn't much difference between individual melee types overall, with a couple of exceptions, like glaives.

I like melee the way it is... I kinda hope to see this go away... I don't even use maiming strike if  the Spin to Win meta is what they want to get rid of and that's the reason for this rework I'd rather then just delete that mod.  Give everyone that has it a legendary core as compensation and be done with it

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary