The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Is Awful

Zengaze

The main problem I have with Archwing is the same one I have with Star Citizen, where the combat (especially with gimbal turrets) focuses more on shooting then it does on flying. The flight is still there, but being the better pilot isn’t as important as having good aim. 

Also the completely unintuitive need to slow down when fighting enemies so you can aim and shoot at them as opposed to needing to speed up to keep up with enemies (and stay away from enemies who are actually fast) while dodging stuff. 

Just give us faster enemies tbh

as far as Titania goes, she’s perfectly fine. Her experience is very unique and it almost feels like I’m flying a toy via remote control. I don’t take the flight aspect of her as seriously as I do for AW.

Edited by Legion-Shields

After having finished leveling all frames and weapons, I can say that archwing grew on me, but it’s still trash. The starter weapons are too poor for a mode with only 15ish total weapons. And the mods drop too infrequently too so much that I still lack one elemental mod for guns and 3 for melee. Those are basic. And while fighting Death Star style is fun, it gets tedious after awhile. The power-difference of the best versus the worst weapons is astounding. 

Its a fun mode but too lacking. And PoE should have archwing weapons. I don’t care if they’re op, I normally run an opticor on the plans and one shot everything anyway. What’s the difference?

35 minutes ago, RosaGigantea said:

Agree with this, I tend to switch between the Itzal and Amesha Archwings depending on the mission objective... use Fluctus mainly as my primary but Velocitus & Grattler are great for things like Jodas Golem Assassinate (have helped many grateful Tenno farm Atlas). I have yet to settle on an arch-melee but I'll probably end up using either Kaszas or Centaur whenever I decide to switch syndicate sides to buy the last few Archwing parts I need. Hell, I'm getting all the Syandanas anyways so might as well.

Have potato'd and forma'd multiple times all of what I've listed (minus Kaszas/Centaur because I don't own them yet) and don't regret it.

Grattler is amazing though runs out of ammo fast.

I am levelling the Centaur now and its pretty good.  High attack rate allows for easier use.

I only have Odonata Prime (got lucky on relics after the vaulting) but it tanks well enough that I don't have to worry much.

28 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

The main problem I have with Archwing is the same one I have with Star Citizen, where the combat (especially with gimbal turrets) focuses more on shooting then it does on flying. The flight is still there, but being the better pilot isn’t as important as having good aim. 

Also the completely unintuitive need to slow down when fighting enemies so you can aim and shoot at them as opposed to needing to speed up to keep up with enemies (and stay away from enemies who are actually fast) while dodging stuff.

That's why I usually resort to melee attacks in Archwing mode. Cuts through enemies so much faster.

As much as OP is not well mannered,i can not disagree with his statement 
When i talk to my friends or clan I tell them "Ignore archwing part of the game,it is like if it was made to be first game prototype project by bad student on 1$ budget"
And I say that with big respect for DE,I love this game but this and lunaris(pvp mode) are just gross.

They ofcourse do not listen and call me next day with "you were completely right,it is was so bad,I got spawned under the map, after that i did /unstuck and tried to get to defense point,on my way to the point i've come into collision with object and got stuck in it,/unstuck command would not work anymore so i quit the match...
next day I've tried it once again because I need mastery exp,but after cleaning whole map I got just 1 level from 30"

One of my friends flat out uninstalled warframe after playing few rounds of archwing he is over 900 days offline now in my friend list... Worst thing is that I do not find it to be unreasonable decision,yes that is how much i dislike said mode.

Worst thing is there are events and huge ammount of mastery points in archwing I'm 23 nearly 24mr and I just can not ignore archwing if i want 25...
It does make my blood boil just thinking about masochistic do i need to be to play it.

Lets just hope this very cool looking railjack mission with star-trek theme will not be as bad.

I've played archwing in times when It was MUCH WORSE than it is now so I hate it more than any new player ever can.
It gave new level to term bugframe,it was lucky to finish 1 from 15 matches. Now I can at least say that except Jordas golem and previously RAID
Archwing works fine.

I even managed to level up most of my archwings recently,with booster it was still 12x slower than leveling frame but ok...at least it is possible now

39 minutes ago, MidoriFuse said:

As much as OP is not well mannered,i can not disagree with his statement 
When i talk to my friends or clan I tell them "Ignore archwing part of the game,it is like if it was made to be first game prototype project by bad student on 1$ budget"
And I say that with big respect for DE,I love this game but this and lunaris(pvp mode) are just gross.

They ofcourse do not listen and call me next day with "you were completely right,it is was so bad,I got spawned under the map, after that i did /unstuck and tried to get to defense point,on my way to the point i've come into collision with object and got stuck in it,/unstuck command would not work anymore so i quit the match...
next day I've tried it once again because I need mastery exp,but after cleaning whole map I got just 1 level from 30"

One of my friends flat out uninstalled warframe after playing few rounds of archwing he is over 900 days offline now in my friend list... Worst thing is that I do not find it to be unreasonable decision,yes that is how much i dislike said mode.

Worst thing is there are events and huge ammount of mastery points in archwing I'm 23 nearly 24mr and I just can not ignore archwing if i want 25...
It does make my blood boil just thinking about masochistic do i need to be to play it.

Lets just hope this very cool looking railjack mission with star-trek theme will not be as bad.

I've played archwing in times when It was MUCH WORSE than it is now so I hate it more than any new player ever can.
It gave new level to term bugframe,it was lucky to finish 1 from 15 matches. Now I can at least say that except Jordas golem and previously RAID
Archwing works fine.

I even managed to level up most of my archwings recently,with booster it was still 12x slower than leveling frame but ok...at least it is possible now

Did you consider that perhaps you are predisposing them to a negative experience by suggesting they will have one?  This is a legitimate psychological thing, ya know. 

Personally, with someone over 1000 hours in-game, I can say, contrary to your opinion, I actually quite enjoy Archwing.  Not all of the maps, persay, but the mechanics, like much else in Warframe, can be quite fun once -mastered-. 

5 hours ago, Zengaze said:

I'm really new, and the archwing part of the game is as if it was developed by a different studio than the actual warframe bit. Archwing is the type of garbage software most people associate FTP games with. It wouldn't be so bad if it was off in a corner you didn't have to have anything to do with, but they sunk this crap right into the progression.

Replay the easy archwing missions, get more archwing mods and then most new players don't know this but you have to UPGRADE (fusion) the mods for them to be worth anything. After you do that, you'll notice that archwing missions get incredibly easier.

1 hour ago, Ninjacalypse said:

Replay the easy archwing missions, get more archwing mods and then most new players don't know this but you have to UPGRADE (fusion) the mods for them to be worth anything. After you do that, you'll notice that archwing missions get incredibly easier.

You say that like it’s supposed to be a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

The rest of the game is supported by solid mechanics that fit the theme.

Arch wing is plenty solid if people didn’t go into it hating it because it is different, or hating it because they just aren’t good at the mode (which is fine).

If DE had the dev time spent on it that other parts of the game have, it might Ben more suitable to more players.  Maybe the new rail jack thing will have such improvements. 

32 minutes ago, (PS4)Poru-sensei said:

Fluidity in motion.

One can dream.

There's a thing you seem to be missing in that vid. To me it seems like the targeting is locked to the single "enemy". Not gonna work in WF, ever. Not to mention, the movement doesn't seem THAT fluid to me. The only reason it feels like that is because all you have to do is faceplant the controller like a madman and you will dodge around like mad without having to worry about losing a tiny, incredibly squishy enemy among thirty others. 

Now don't get me wrong. I agree that mobility has some issues in AW. My biggest issue is that the use of momentum isn't done... right. Especially on PoE where you can't send yourself off in one direction and aim/shoot in an another. The flight model exists in Dargyns just fine but that might be some mechanical differences in flight models and the fact that in the plains, AW is first and foremost a transport tool, something to get from point A to B faster then bullethop. Which is also why I think the AA rockets are so damn infuriatingly effective against us. If they weren't we'd basically be completely negating the attack capability of our enemies as soon as we took flight. 

My personal wish for AW especially in space is to have two flight modes we can switch between. One is completely free that maintains momentum even after you let go of all keys for as long as you run into something or apply movement in an another direction. Fast, floaty, best used in more open areas. The second is a more tighter control option. You are not as fast and as soon as you let go of a direction key, you will rapidly decelerate to a stop. More suited for close range, tight spaces combat. Giving you a lot of fine control at the expense of overall fluid movement and speed. The Freeroam areas need their own flight model that should be shared (with some modifications) with Underwater sections. Switch between them with the Transference key as we can't use it in those sections anyway. 

The basis for this already exists as in the gameplay options you can switching between the old "2D" flight model and the newer "3D" one. But it's hidden in the options and not easily accessible via a hotkey, as far as I know. 

Edited by Lakais

11 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

My only complaint is the lack of Arch-weapons on Plains, though I understand the reason.

I thought the same until I saw grineer on the plains with a grattler.

Apparently weapons are too heavy for us to carry in gravity..... Pfft

So i'm now doing the "follow Teshin" mission the one where you have to avoid the lasers in your archwing. At this point i have come to realize that this dumb crap is so meshed in the game, it is the game, not a mode that can be ignored, it's a "grind your teeth and get through this S#&$" element. If you want to follow the plot you don't get to bypass it. Which would knock the game from a solid 8/10 to a 5/10 in my opinion.

I really enjoy archwing. I still play a round or two of interception each night when I have time as [Auxiliary Power] still hasn't dropped for me.

OP - You sound like you've played it for five minutes, were under powered and under geared (because you've only played it for five minutes) so struggled to complete the missions and then came running to the forums to complain. Once you grind out some decent mods, level up the other archwings, craft the other weapons then things become much easier and by that time you've also gotten used to the controls.

Or just bleat about how Archwing sucks. Play the way you want to.

38 minutes ago, Zengaze said:

So i'm now doing the "follow Teshin" mission the one where you have to avoid the lasers in your archwing. At this point i have come to realize that this dumb crap is so meshed in the game, it is the game, not a mode that can be ignored, it's a "grind your teeth and get through this S#&$" element. If you want to follow the plot you don't get to bypass it. Which would knock the game from a solid 8/10 to a 5/10 in my opinion.

Dude youre overreacting , there's only 1 archwing mission in the quest RELAX

The three steps to finding Archwing enlightenment

1. Disable the experimental controls (assuming those are still for whatever perplexing reason enabled by default) 
  2. Grit your teeth and get your starter gear to 30 for the mastery and then blow it out an airlock, it's terrible and virtually anything else is better
  3. Actually INVEST some endo and forma into your gear/mods

Bonus: Realize one day that you love AW so much that you start to main Titania

Admittedly Titania is kind optional but the first three are essential if you don't want to have a bad time.

Edited by Oreades

1 hour ago, Oreades said:

The three steps to finding Archwing enlightenment

1. Disable the experimental controls (assuming those are still for whatever perplexing reason enabled by default) 
  2. Grit your teeth and get your starter gear to 30 for the mastery and then blow it out an airlock, it's terrible and virtually anything else is better
  3. Actually INVEST some endo and forma into your gear/mods

Bonus: Realize one day that you love AW so much that you start to main Titania

Admittedly Titania is kind optional but the first three are essential if you don't want to have a bad time.

This gave me the lolz, thanks

Agreed, makes me wonder why people are so excited for slower archwing coming up in the future >.>. The control really needs some work, precision is thrown out the window, especially out on the plains. I need to use itzal just to be able to stop when I want to by using its invisibility. Seeing as they've said they don't want people coptering around and raining gunfire from above, archwing pretty much died for me since I was looking forward to the idea of having people in your squad in archwing covering you while you did this and that on foot so... it can go away now.

8 hours ago, Bostrom_NZ said:

I really enjoy archwing. I still play a round or two of interception each night when I have time as [Auxiliary Power] still hasn't dropped for me.

OP - You sound like you've played it for five minutes, were under powered and under geared (because you've only played it for five minutes) so struggled to complete the missions and then came running to the forums to complain. Once you grind out some decent mods, level up the other archwings, craft the other weapons then things become much easier and by that time you've also gotten used to the controls.

Or just bleat about how Archwing sucks. Play the way you want to.

making the mode easier by having properly leveled mods doesn't change the fact that the mechanics are shallow and unrewarding to learn. You're basically just moving a camera around with guns attached to it. There's hardly any depth at all to the flight model beyond the barest hint of momentum when holding down shift and that requires virtually zero effort to compensate for.

Archwing isn't hard. It's boring. 

Edited by Legion-Shields