Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trading naivety

(PSN)Mahd2_7

Now I don't consider myself as a expert on the Warframe markets but there is just a huge basic that people don't understand. Buying a whole warframe set will be most of the time more expensive than buying it individually. For example Mag Prime (on PS4 anyways) goes for approx 200 plat (rounded) by buying her parts individually so far I've bought the rarest parts for 30p each (Blueprint and system I think) and I'm expecting to get the rest for 10p each. Equalling 80p; more than half her set price 

Now obviously for alot of the cheaper frames like Mirage this may not work or is even worth the hassle but anything above 70plat should definitely be bought individually imo

Now I'm not saying that it's bad to buy sets just at least look at what you're doing meaning look at prices beforehand instead of going blindly in and getting one of the first ones you see. 

Edited by (PS4)Mahd2_7
Just to clear the air

i think it isn't naivety, but more like... it's an higher price, because everything goes in a pack, you get it all from the same place, so you don't have to look everywhere else for individual pieces. it's just that people likes doing stuff in one shot, and not in multiple times, so sellers take that occasion to sell the entire set higher than what it should be. it's more of a concept of practical, than real worth.

( sorry for my S#&$ty english :x )

I'd say it mostly boils down to the fact that it may take some time to find all the pieces to buy (at least for most of players)

it's just easier and faster to get a set and a price reflects that (fast and easy things usually are not cheap)

nothing to do with naivety people just want to start up whole building at once and get things asap - and are ready to pay a price for it

I think this is often because the players selling indivdual parts are more desperate and have less filled accounts. They'll covet even meager sums of plat compared to a player with dozens of sets on sale.

Or they just hate trading and can't be bothered much with it so just flog things that will sell in minutes just to keep them in slots.

3 minutes ago, Elenortirie said:

I'd say it mostly boils down to the fact that it may take some time to find all the pieces to buy (at least for most of players)

it's just easier and faster to get a set and a price reflects that (fast and easy things usually are not cheap)

nothing to do with naivety people just want to start up whole building at once and get things asap - and are ready to pay a price for it

I understand people are eager but if let's say my example I get Mag Prime for 80p  but it takes me two days but someone else pays 210p for it but gets it immediately who really wins at the end of the day.

6 minutes ago, Ghogiel said:

I think this is often because the players selling indivdual parts are more desperate and have less filled accounts. They'll covet even meager sums of plat compared to a player with dozens of sets on sale.

Or they just hate trading and can't be bothered much with it so just flog things that will sell in minutes just to keep them in slots.

To be honest you don't really see people whom have just bit's and pieces of warframes and weapons advertise them mainly because the masses for some reason seem more lazy and interested in buying whole sets for a much greater price 

14 minutes ago, mikakor said:

i think it isn't naivety, but more like... it's an higher price, because everything goes in a pack, you get it all from the same place, so you don't have to look everywhere else for individual pieces. it's just that people likes doing stuff in one shot, and not in multiple times, so sellers take that occasion to sell the entire set higher than what it should be. it's more of a concept of practical, than real worth.

( sorry for my S#&$ty english :x )

I understand that but the price difference for most of it can be completely ridiculous and that even if they spent a little bit of time they'd be amazed at what they can get

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Mahd2_7 said:

I understand people are eager but if let's say my example I get Mag Prime for 80p  but it takes me two days but someone else pays 210p for it but gets it immediately who really wins at the end of the day.

no one, or both of you, all depending on priorities between you and that other guy.

if your prioirity is to get the thing as cheaply as possible, and you have time to spare then you win it at the end of teh day by your criteria

but if the other guy needs it fast, is swimming in plat so budgeting is no issue for him (and/or deals in trades where 130 plat is considered a change money on daily manner) then by his criteria he wins it. and he could also throw even more plat into the frame by rushing constructions 😉 and win by his criterium even more

...... yeah...... I get the whole "you're gonna pay a premium for the full set" and I'll gladly pay 20 to maybe... 50 extra plat for the convenience 

but if someone thinks I'm paying over double the cost of assembling the pieces individually, well I wish them the best of luck in finding another buyer roflNOPE

1 minute ago, Elenortirie said:

no one, or both of you, all depending on priorities between you and that other guy.

if your prioirity is to get the thing as cheaply as possible, and you have time to spare then you win it at the end of teh day by your criteria

but if the other guy needs it fast, is swimming in plat so budgeting is no issue for him (and/or deals in trades where 130 plat is considered a change money on daily manner) then by his criteria he wins it. and he could also throw even more plat into the frame by rushing constructions 😉 and win by his criterium even more

How about you even the playing field abit. 

They both have 250p and have 5 consecutive days free 

1 minute ago, (PS4)johnsoigne said:

You can easily makeup for that 100p gap just by grinding something else rather than spending time in trade chat spamming WTB Nova Chassis till the end of time.

Considering you're buying at such a high rate then you may not have plat left over. Furthermore, igoring rivens and legendary cores which alot of players won't hve gotten yet. Frames are the easiest ways to get 100 + plat quickly and guess what most if not all the frames that are over 100 plat are vaulted and unless you happen to have done endless missions or used to play before they were vaultra ypu probably won't have a chance to get these through RNG. AlsI you can sell mods and other frames for abit and make 100p like that sure but the WTS market is flooded and your message will get overshadowed by the tons of people that have the same message and price 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Mahd2_7 said:

To be honest you don't really see people whom have just bit's and pieces of warframes and weapons advertise them mainly because the masses for some reason seem more lazy and interested in buying whole sets for a much greater price  

I think that's partly because of sellers in trade chat, not the buyers. You have every limited char to work with and filling it up with things that aren't going to make you the most plat is a losing tactic. But there are sellers for everything always 100% of the time.  I dunno about on PS4 but just typing WTB into trade chat does work from my experience. And of course the market sites have listings for all single parts you could want as well, so it's there to be bought, just won't be in small ads people are allowed to make in trade chat listings . 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Mahd2_7 said:

How about you even the playing field abit. 

They both have 250p and have 5 consecutive days free 

that's unfair narrowing of the real life scenario that would present those other people as silly.

you asked why people are doing it, implying that they are naive, I presented you different perspective, that is perspective of most of these people, and explained why it works by giving specific scenario. in response to that you asked "what about [insert here incredibly small chunk of reality that carefully cuts out reasons why people find it agreeable to pay more for full set than the sum of pricetags of certain parts]" scenario. do you see the issue right here? 😉

ok, lets assume everyone has specific set amounts of US dollars, and months of consecutive days at spare - why those naive fellas buy their refrigerators assembled when you can get it cheaper by buying raw materials and buildign one for yourself? and use leftover money to get another home devices built! 😛 (altho you prolly will argue that this analogy in here ain't particulary good because you don't need to know in the game how the thing is constructed to be built, but it wasn't intended to be perfect analogy, it was supposed to show in easily readable way how I perceive your narrowed scenario in here)

6 minutes ago, Ghogiel said:

I think that's partly because of sellers in trade chat, not the buyers. You have every limited char to work with and filling it up with things that aren't going to make you the most plat is a losing tactic. But there are sellers for everything always 100% of the time.  I dunno about on PS4 but just typing WTB into trade chat does work from my experience. And of course the market sites have listings for all single parts you could want as well, so it's there to be bought, just won't be in small ads people are allowed to make in trade chat listings . 

I agree the trade chat is just awash with seller selling well everything and anything. By trying to sell individual parts you're limiting the amount of plat you can make but by seeing the set you're being copied by hundreds of other players and even if you drop your prices down a bit you still won't get the attention because of the amount of sellers there are 

4 minutes ago, Elenortirie said:

that's unfair narrowing of the real life scenario that would present those other people as silly.

you asked why people are doing it, implying that they are naive, I presented you different perspective, that is perspective of most of these people, and explained why it works by giving specific scenario. in response to that you asked "what about [insert here incredibly small chunk of reality that carefully cuts out reasons why people find it agreeable to pay more for full set than the sum of pricetags of certain parts]" scenario. do you see the issue right here? 😉

ok, lets assume everyone has specific set amounts of US dollars, and months of consecutive days at spare - why those naive fellas buy their refrigerators assembled when you can get it cheaper by buying raw materials and buildign one for yourself? and use leftover money to get another home devices built! 😛 (altho you prolly will argue that this analogy in here ain't particulary good because you don't need to know in the game how the thing is constructed to be built, but it wasn't intended to be perfect analogy, it was supposed to show in easily readable way how I perceive your narrowed scenario in here)

First off all by saying that you contradicted yourself. But what I am trying to say is that yes you can but the set not a problem however sometimes the extra added amount is ridiculous that I what I was talking about in terms of naivety. Let me use a comparison  for this one you don't go and buy the first fridge you see you do spend a bit of time looking at various ones at various prices and seeing if they're good then you pick the most suited one for you and for most people they will tend to go for a cheaper one. It's the same principal in theory in Warframe if you just buy a set after the first 5 prices you see then can't that be considered naive 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Mahd2_7 said:

First off all by saying that you contradicted yourself. But what I am trying to say is that yes you can but the set not a problem however sometimes the extra added amount is ridiculous that I what I was talking about in terms of naivety. Let me use a comparison  for this one you don't go and buy the first fridge you see you do spend a bit of time looking at various ones at various prices and seeing if they're good then you pick the most suited one for you and for most people they will tend to go for a cheaper one. It's the same principal in theory in Warframe if you just buy a set after the first 5 prices you see then can't that be considered naive 

and where exacly do you see self-contradiction in there?

yes for many cheaper variant is what they'll go for, but others usually ones with more wealth will go for higher quality product over the cheaper one (that's how apple became a thing - even if they are degrading in this aspect recently - their original goal was that they were selling stable well performing hardware)

as for warframe applications - other law apply - stock and demand - it is not that people buy it after the first 5 prices they have seen - if 200p for mag prime set is a stable pricing it means that on grand most people are ready to shell that much for that set. also Mag Prime herself in here is peculiar example as it's a vaulted frame driving out set prices due to limited stock but....

quick glance at market status it seems that alot of people is in possetion of high stocks of single elements for her (myself I had crapload of spare relics for neuroptics for example) meaning that high supply compared to the need drives down the price of individual elements harder than the fact that resource pool to farm those parts isn't exacly increasing is driving it up. which doesn't exacly work the same way for set price because it means that people selling sets either have got them last time she was available and hold onto them until now, or people who assembled those sets by actually buying those parts from other people - meaning that of course they want to turn profit on the sell of the set.

and then again - if you discount third party websites out of the question you never can know how much time will pass before you manage to actually find someone selling that specific part you would be missing which drives appeal of sets by quite a considerable factor. and it would be naive to expect everyone or even majority I'd say to even know about those third party tools not to mention actually going throught the effort of using them.

by this if I wanted to pull what you did pull few posts ago and if we went back to already overly narrowed scenario and narrowed it even further which would give us:

250 plat of budget,

5 consecutive days of available time

no third party tools to be used

this could mean your part-by-part method would run into considerable risk of not even getting all parts within set 5 days. at least when Mag Prime is considered.

which goes back to what I said "who win" in this scenario relies solely on what goals and priorities a buyer has.

PS. on that selfcontradiction part, as when writing this post I have stumbled on one of things that you could mean: let me put a disclaimer in here - "example" with refrigerators was not meant as explanation why people feel it worthy to pay that much higher for a full set. it was meant as a little bit exagerated picture of how I did see your example of 250p 5 consecutive days of time available on the background of your earlier posts, as in there is alot of factors that are crucial to why things are happening the way they are happening that this example cuts out. a less exagerated example to show that would be with PC assembly - why buy fully assembled machines when it's cheaper to buy parts and assemble it yourself - but I didn't use this one because, as far as my experience in that field goes, pre-assembled offers are usually using..... suboptimal composition of parts, so getting parts yourself gives you serious edge in more than just a pricetag

if that disclaimer does not brign anything new, and you have read use of that refrigerator example as I intended it, then I'd still love you specifying where exacly you see that self-contradiction there

It's down to what you value, the plat or your time. I would say a lot of people don't enjoy the trade aspect, and would rather spend their time making infested heads explode (the actual game part), so they want that cool prime xxxx to do it better with, and don't want to be messaging three or four people, having a tenno to tenno moment with each of them in a dojo, and would rather get it all sorted in one.

Consider also full sets take more time to complete whether through grind, or assembling a set from trades (doing the tenno moment part for you) that's the premium.

Why some players rush and others search every room?

Why some players grind Kuva to get that perfect CC/CD/M Riven and others are happy with RoF and RS?

Why some players go for 5-10 min endless fissures and others for no less then 25 minutes?

Why some players prefer to trade and others wants to farm everything by themselves?

Why some players think that 120pl saved was worth searching a third party website for days and for Eidolon hunters every 10 minutes spent not playing are hundreds of platinum lost?

As other posters said: personal preferences.

I  do not see the issue,players would totally click 1 button to pay 1000pl for mag prime if they could.
It is just kind of people that is rich enough to be comfy.

Just at 2000$/month what is low-pay in america
you can buy 189200 platinum
every month

Let's say you do 1/4 of that for like 50k plat
now you have more plat than you ever spend

At that point if you pay 200 for mag 150 mag 100 mag,does not matter at all.

I m from trading clan,sets fliping is nice side money,but to get 30k for one riven is quite of higher importance in grand scheme.

13 часов назад, (PS4)Mahd2_7 сказал:

Considering you're buying at such a high rate then you may not have plat left over. Furthermore, igoring rivens and legendary cores which alot of players won't hve gotten yet. Frames are the easiest ways to get 100 + plat quickly and guess what most if not all the frames that are over 100 plat are vaulted and unless you happen to have done endless missions or used to play before they were vaultra ypu probably won't have a chance to get these through RNG. AlsI you can sell mods and other frames for abit and make 100p like that sure but the WTS market is flooded and your message will get overshadowed by the tons of people that have the same message and price 

The easiest ways to get plat are syndicate mods and arcanes. Not warframes.