Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operators as a thing

Frontez

8 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Whilst I want Operator Melee, I feel like we could still use unarmed martial arts if it was combined with our void powers for Avatar bending-style moves, unlocked via focus.

Short range, powerful blows for Madurai, producing explosions around the impacts dealing heavy damage in a small area. Thin, piercing and far-reaching void whip motions for Zenurik. Movement-heavy dashes and small, refined 'blades' for Naramon. Defensive movements that block incoming damage with shields of energy whilst it's dished out for Unairu. Calm, Tai Chi-esque motions for Vazarin, with inherent lifesteal.

But then you're just replicating existing frame abilities and weapons. This game is first and foremost about the warframes, as far as regular combat is concerned. Operator abilities are there for things frames can't handle...or at least enable you to do things in a different way.

I think Operator abilities and capabilities should probably be developed further, but there needs to be clear separation from the frames (or at least minimal overlap) otherwise you are just duplicating stuff that already exists.

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

But then you're just replicating existing frame abilities and weapons. This game is first and foremost about the warframes, as far as regular combat is concerned. Operator abilities are there for things frames can't handle...or at least enable you to do things in a different way.

I think Operator abilities and capabilities should probably be developed further, but there needs to be clear separation from the frames (or at least minimal overlap) otherwise you are just duplicating stuff that already exists.

I disagree that I'm just repeating, at least any more than Weapons do. There's only so many ways you can whack something or shoot out of something, after all. Overlap is inevitable.

The thing is, simply attaching these abilities to the Operator renders them fundamentally different in terms of combat to Warframe gameplay. Sure, Madurai's close-range, high impact moves would have some similarities to Jat Kittag, and long blasts of energy fired like the lash of a whip would be functionally similar to a semi-auto gun. But, unlike the Jat Kittag or a semi-auto gun, these are tied to the powers and abilities of the Operators, which are slower and more deliberate than those of the Warframe, which are fluid, fast, and somewhat wild and chaotic. You'd have to use a bit more foresight with Operator moves, which should be rewarded by giving these moves larger damage or other combat rewards.

4 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I know right, just how you play as Zelda in Zelda, as Metroid in Metroid, as Contra in Contra, as Metal Gear in Metal Gear...

Oh wait.

I don't like this argument. It's no reason to not flesh out Operator gameplay as well as Warframe gameplay, it's just "I don't personally want to play as Operator" disguised as a more general argument. If you don't want to use your Operator, nothing outside of story quests is forcing you. And, let's face it, most games have aspects about the main campaign that deviates from regular gameplay. That shouldn't stop people who do want to see their Operators become useful from being able to.

Thanks!

mabye you're right about me argument but i am still fine with the movement of the operators and if they do i would like small movement changes

Just now, (PS4)wolf-MAN010 said:

mabye you're right about me argument but i am still fine with the movement of the operators and if they do i would like small movement changes

Actually, I'm fine with the core movement of the Operators as well. Anything added should be some form of optional equipment. 

While I would like operators to be more fun to actually play as, the whole “if you’re not good enough without the suit, you don’t deserve it” isn’t talking about your efficiency at killing people lol I think it’s more of an internal stability. I think this whole system would’ve been cooler if we weren’t kids and we let our infested warframe a consume around us to an extent, resulting in us actually wearing the frames. 

The only change I'd want is for them to do a Void blast from their feet when jumping mid-air to allow them to double jump. Make it work with Madurai's Flame blast so you shoot a fire ball with every double jump, and allow a charged jump for extra height if they have Rising blast equipped and it'd be great.

10 hours ago, Helch0rn said:

following your logic people don't deserve cars either because they can't run as fast as cars drive.

You must live in a place with very little traffic. 

9 hours ago, Viniestvinculum said:

They don't do the physics defying parkour, which makes sense since their bodies do not consist of technocytes.

Because zipping across the map in just a few blinks of the eye, doesn't really count? 

Look guys, let's say that you ride a motorbike, you should put on all your safety gear, because if you don't, you could end up in trouble, right? Of course you could try and do it buck naked, but the instant you try and put your foot down to aid with stability on your first turn, you'll regret it, won't you? 

Put your frame on if you want to do the crazy jumpy, slide across the ground nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

You must live in a place with very little traffic. 

Because zipping across the map in just a few blinks of the eye, doesn't really count? 

Look guys, let's say that you ride a motorbike, you should put on all your safety gear, because if you don't, you could end up in trouble, right? Of course you could try and do it buck naked, but the instant you try and put your foot down to aid with stability on your first turn, you'll regret it, won't you? 

Put your frame on if you want to do the crazy jumpy, slide across the ground nonsense. 

I do have to agree. I like the basic gist of Operator movement, they just need some tweaks, maybe some more combat abilities. Warframes are the fast ones.

9 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Whilst I want Operator Melee, I feel like we could still use unarmed martial arts if it was combined with our void powers for Avatar bending-style moves, unlocked via focus.

Short range, powerful blows for Madurai, producing explosions around the impacts dealing heavy damage in a small area. Thin, piercing and far-reaching void whip motions for Zenurik. Movement-heavy dashes and small, refined 'blades' for Naramon. Defensive movements that block incoming damage with shields of energy whilst it's dished out for Unairu. Calm, Tai Chi-esque motions for Vazarin, with inherent lifesteal.

I feel like this could easily be done by giving the current Void Blast school-specific animations and a third node to tweak the affects.

12 hours ago, Legion-Shields said:

So learn to manage your energy and be mindful of how you position yourself.

You're basically just saying git gud over and over again, it's the same as

"Doctor, my shoulder hurts when I lift heavy things."

"Then don't lift eavy things."

"...I'm literally an iron worker, it's my job to lift heavy things."

"Don't lift heavy things."

Try to do a long operator only mission without waybounds. Then come and explain how you were able to move around freely undetected without running out of energy and wishing you could crouch behind a box.

There is some insane troll logic going on for all those against operator movement and powers being improved.

The operators themselves have loads of void energy which probably can be used in many ways. I am pretty sure it is not just for some weak beams and blasts. If you can void blast, there is no logic saying you cannot leap higher than a WF or punch a Rhino across the room via energy repulsion.

Also, forming void energy into armor doesn't seem ridiculous if you notice Vazarin can create a bubble shield. Heck forming it into a second skin and using it as "power armor" isn't far fetched. 

Of course, personally, I would prefer they improve thev aesthetic portion first. The powers aren't important to me outside of Eidolon fights.

16 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Sweet, I would definitely be down with operators more if we could do stuff this.

The Tenno are Void-magicly strong while Warframes are physically strong. If the Tenno themselves were as strong as Warframes, the Orokin would never have developed the Warframes.

A pilot in a stronger vehicle to enhance the character's abilities. That's the basis of the mech genre, and it applies here too.

19 hours ago, Ragingwasabi said:

by that logic this whole post is useless. "just parkour in your warframe". no!

we are trying to make operators better here

But...why?

You're always a key press away from your warframe. Why does the tenno need to be Jackie Chan when with a single key press you're Bruce Lee?

Honestly though, I'd actually have preferred it if the tenno couldn't step out of the warframe and just controlled it from his/her chair.

6 hours ago, (PS4)thedarkness1962 said:

Because it is this big a deal. Do y'all really have nothing else going on anywhere?

No, I just think that if something messy/annoying can be avoided then it should be.  I'm simply saying this so that people may learn, not out of a superiority complex but because we can all better ourselves by learning and remembering.  It may seem nit-picky to people but I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, just making suggestions.

5 hours ago, Wolfways said:

But...why?

You're always a key press away from your warframe. Why does the tenno need to be Jackie Chan when with a single key press you're Bruce Lee?

Honestly though, I'd actually have preferred it if the tenno couldn't step out of the warframe and just controlled it from his/her chair.

Eh, I dunno. It is pretty handy during kuva missions and Eidolon fights, to be able to jump between them.

But my take on it is that the Operator and their abilities exist for things that warframes either can't do, or aren't well suited for. They should complement each other, rather than trying to make Operators more warframe-y.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-10-03 at 11:03 AM, Helch0rn said:

following your logic people don't deserve cars either because they can't run as fast as cars drive.

You didnt get it right i think xd

And cars are the best thing humanity has invented so far :3

On 2018-10-03 at 3:50 AM, Frontez said:

"If you are nothing without the suit, you don't deserve it" So why can't we just do some parkour as we do in our warframes -

Operators dynamicaly slide. Instead of backflipping the do this quick twist and pose. They can also run on wires. I think I got mind to flip up a ledge. So they are somewhat athletic.

But keep in mind, they are basically the wizards in the dynamic. All thier power comes from being space magic, not augmented monster flesh and cybernetics. They have squisher body which is why they can be hurt from fall damage. They are meant to be like warframes in that sense.

Instead of jumping and flipping they dash and slow thier descent with magic. You increase thier mobility by leveling up thier powers.