Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I get a new warframe?

TH0T5L4Y3R69

Question

I'm currently mastery rank 3 (I qualify for rank 4 but I have to wait for the cooldown) and I've been thinking about getting a new warframe. I am currently using Excalibur. If so, which one should I try to get? I don't really care if it's a stealth, tank, or assault warframe I just don't like ability based warframes.

17 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, TH0T5L4Y3R69 said:

I'm currently mastery rank 3 (I qualify for rank 4 but I have to wait for the cooldown) and I've been thinking about getting a new warframe. I am currently using Excalibur. If so, which one should I try to get? I don't really care if it's a stealth, tank, or assault warframe I just don't like ability based warframes.

I mean..... what do you count as ability based? Cause all Frames are kinda based/rely on their abilities

Get all of them, whichever first you can get.

PS If you don't like ability based warframes in the game about ability based warframes, why play?

Edit: and don't sell those which are a quest reward, 'cause quests don't reward twice even if some of them are re-playable.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

I'd vote for Rhino who is easy to get early on and is a jack of all trades really. Just don't fall for the newbie trap of keeping Iron Skin on at all times. Learn to use that invulnerability phase when you first activate Iron Skin to bulk up it's health. Get an Iron Shrapnel so you can burst Iron Skin and re-apply at will and probably an Ironclad Charge for your armour. Other than Iron Skin management you ignore the other abilities if you want, though your team mates would like an odd Roar or Stomp.

You should get all the Frames 😛

And yes, clarification of what you consider / dislike about "ability-based Warframes" would help.
[Even though you appear to only have used one Frame ... who very well can be played in an ability-spamming manner, actually.]

If you want to just tank hits and use your weapons,
I guess you could look at Wukong (Clan Research, BTW join a Clan if you haven't yet),
with that one - and the right build - you just press 1 button and that's it, you're immortal.
[And not really a huge boon to your Squad compared to what an "ability" Frame might've added, but oh well.]

If you're farming and progressing through the Star Chart normally, you should be able to get Rhino, and if you've been in a few of the slightly longer missions you may have enough parts to get Oberon. Both of these frames will see you very well into the next parts of the game, are relatively easy to master, and only take resources that you should have gotten naturally.

If you're moving on to Mars then Frost should become available, and other frames from the different bosses further on.

But, as somebody has already said... you do want all the frames. When you run out of space, grind up some Prime Parts from the Relics and sell them cheap for Platinum, maybe 5 to 10 plat at a time, you'll quickly get enough for extra Warframe slots and Weapon slots.

Until you get to the Quest frames (ones you can only earn once currently by completing a quest) you don't need more than five or six slots, but those other frames are good and you'll want to keep room for more.

But just go have fun, really, grind up the parts, purchase the main Blueprint for Credits, get any frame you think looks cool as you come to it.

Get all Warframes. Every one plays differently and has different strengths and weaknesses.

If you are looking for less "ability" based frames there are several I consider to be "weapon" frames that may be more your playstyle. They still use abilities but more so to supplement and enhance their weaponry, many frames are more reliant on weaponry to kill no matter what. Depending on whether you prefer melee or ranged there are good options, some of which are usable either way but not necessarily in the most optimum way.

Banshee can be a good frame purely with Sonar to enhance damage you deal to enemies by hitting weak points with weapon attacks. I recommend her Silence and Sonar augments to better focus on that playstyle.

Chroma's Vex Armor enhances his survivability and damage immensely but it will take effort to keep it going. You can use him with an MK-1 weapon if you wanted to through most of the game...

Ember (I know everyone thinks of her as a caster, not a weapon frame. You're simply wrong...) enhances her weapon damage to insane levels through two different abilities. Just make sure you mod your weapons for high fire damage and build for Accelerant, not World on Fire, and you'll be golden all the way through Sorties, Elite Sanctuary Onslaught and Arbitrations. The Accelerant augment helps too. Mobility will be key to survival on her, same as many frames.

Excalibur, as you may know, can be a great swordsman even if you don't spam Exalted Blade all day. I rarely even use his 4th since I find it boring.

Harrow is actually an amazing support frame that encourages helping his allies through standard active involvement in combat with weapons. He also rewards skill through headshot bonuses.

Inaros is a durable frame that can greatly benefit from and sustain himself through melee combat.

Ivara is an interesting one, where her whole kit supports ranged weaponry and some melee to a degree. She has tricks for every situation but still relies on weaponry for kills. She creates her own Exalted bow, in the same way Exalibur does.

Mesa is another one that creates an Exalted weapon, her dual pistols. Unlike many frames she actually still feels very weapon based despite her abilities and can still give the feel of weapon use while using her Exalted weapon.

Rhino can enhance the damage of him an his allies and armor himself so he's still very useful even if you choose not to focus on his other abilities often.

Titania's 4th power turns her into a small flying bug that constantly slams into walls but gives both an exalted sword and dual pistols for constant weapon use. I haven't had the opportunity to try her recent PC changes, but as of the console build her other abilities are generally a waste of effort anyway.

Trinity depends heavily on weapons for killing, but her other abilities give great support to the team when you choose to use them. With her you won't necessarily feel obligated to use abilities constantly, but you may get some negative feedback from allies if you are ignoring opportunities to give them support.

Valkyr is a very melee focused frame with good survivability even without using any abilities. She also has an ability that gives her invulnerability along with Exalted claws to shred your enemies up close and personal.

Volt can enhance his speed and ranged weapon damage as well as protect himself with his Electric Shield which can be made mobile to keep moving when needed.

Wukong is very melee focused. He has some abilities that can support his survivability and he creates his own Exalted staff to beat his enemies senseless. 

There's other frames that can be arguably "weapon" focused, but I didn't include them only because I feel they are far too underwhelming in the given scenario of limiting ability use. Hope that gives you some ideas in which direction you want to go.

If you don't rely on abilities are preferably warframe that do not toy around with abilities much I recommend any aside from ones that have a huge out weight of health vs shield or no shield/health.

I personally think Rhino is a good start, he's a tanky boy.
Just go along the start chart and keep trying different frames. My main is Oberon, his parts randomly drop based on enemies, and yea I rely on his abilities, but you don't need them, but he is nice as you can heal your team or yourself with his 3 or if you want some damage control if there are just too many enemies his 4 smash knockes them all down for a moment so you have a chance to catch your breath and reload a weapon. 

Now if you havnt done a lot of quests ignore this next part, but if like excalibur you're going to like excalibur umbra, so do those quests and you'll get him for free.

Thanks for all the support, I now have decided I want to go after Rhino. I decided the best way to get his blueprints is to farm Jackal. Is this a good method? Also, is Oberon worth farming for? He seems a bit hard to get because eximus units are annoying and the drop chance is low. Thanks in advance.

Edited by TH0T5L4Y3R69

On 2018-11-13 at 6:33 AM, TH0T5L4Y3R69 said:

I'm currently mastery rank 3 (I qualify for rank 4 but I have to wait for the cooldown) and I've been thinking about getting a new warframe

You probably don't realise this, because the game doesn't tell you: most of your MR comes from new gear.

Until much later (after Uranus and the Second Dream quest) any frame you've maxed and that you're still using is basically throwing affinity/XP away. You pretty much constantly want to be working on new gear.

This is also the best way to learn which frames and weapons you enjoy.

On 2018-11-13 at 6:33 AM, TH0T5L4Y3R69 said:

I don't really care if it's a stealth, tank, or assault warframe I just don't like ability based warframes

This is something I remember from the early game - later on you'll get ways to have loads of energy for abilities. Some frames can kill everything on the map with their abilities, some can stay almost constantly invisible. 

It used to really annoy me when I went on YouTube and someone would be raving about some frame that only works with late game enhancements you won't get until Neptune.

Early game you need to fight bosses again and again for parts, then buy the blueprints for the frame on the market for credits. This is how you'll get most frames.

Rhino is a really good starting tank, he's available early, works well with low energy, and is still really useful late game.

Don't get into stealth yet - Ivara and Loki are amazing frames, but both need augments (which you won't get until later) and energy regen (though once you have those they can waltz through most levels).

All the assault frames are about abilities.

Oh, and buy a Hek blueprint (needs MR4) on the market and build it. The Hek is the best early game weapon by an insane amount, and it has mods that make it better than most MR10 guns.

11 hours ago, TH0T5L4Y3R69 said:

is Oberon worth farming for? He seems a bit hard to get because eximus units are annoying and the drop chance is low. Thanks in advance.

he is worth in my opinion and if you fight eximus corpus tech, the drop rate is high, i got enough parts for four oberon frames that way 

19 hours ago, TH0T5L4Y3R69 said:

Also, is Oberon worth farming for?

He wasn't up until his rework last year. Now he's kind of a beast. Build him for Strength, primarily, but keep his Duration, Range and Efficiency in the positive numbers too (don't go below 100% for any of his stats). Also, use Hunter Adrenaline, when you take damage it restores Energy based on a percentage of that damage, and this works even if you have Renewal running.

Pardon the wall of text here, but it's important to some people:

What you'll have is a frame that can scale well through all the content of the game. His 1 seems 'meh' at first, but when you hit an enemy with high health, the orbs that come from the attack each deal a percentage of its total health to enemies around them, so it can do very decent damage, but it also Irradiates enemies for the Confusion status. His 2 is important, it prevents status effects on anyone standing on its area (plus it grows grass, it's nice), and will Confuse enemies that try to walk on it, dealing a bit of damage to them per second. His 3 is amazing, most healing effects in game have a set range, but if you cast it and the wave passes over your allies, that's it, they're marked for healing no matter how far away they go, they only have to be close to you at the time you cast it or run through the spot you last cast it on, and they will get steady healing per second for as long as you have power. Combine the 2 and 3? You give anyone affected by your 3 that runs over your 2 a massive Armour boost, you can easily give any frame 400+ armour, which turns a puny Banshee with only 16% damage reduction, into one with 50% damage reduction, it's a great survivability function for your team. And then you have a large-area-of-effect enemy damage attack, it's not super powerful, but it will grab every enemy in range, pick them up, slam them down and blind enemies that weren't picked up as long as they're in range. If you have armoured enemies, wait until they're on your 2, then cast 4 and it will smash their armour, which is invaluable in later game, cutting their damage reduction in half or even (if you build well) completely removing it.

So... yeah, he's good.

But, importantly for your thread topic, you can play him without doing any of that XD

Literally, start your mission, press 2, press 3, and only worry about picking up energy Orbs or just letting the enemy hit you for a moment or two until you take Health damage, so that Hunter Adrenaline can refill your Energy for you. You will have high survivability at all levels until you hit the more interesting things that come after the Quests, like Elite Sanctuary Onslaught or Sorties, and you won't have to put much effort into your abilities.

You will be able to put down his 2 and never have to worry about bleed or toxin status while you stand on it, never have to worry about getting set on fire or losing energy through magnetise procs... You can sit and shoot things to your heart's content. He is a frame that will allow you to simply do things at your own pace ^^

So think about picking him up when you have the parts. He's a great way to play.

On 2018-11-13 at 2:07 AM, Shalath said:

I'd vote for Rhino who is easy to get early on and is a jack of all trades really. Just don't fall for the newbie trap of keeping Iron Skin on at all times. Learn to use that invulnerability phase when you first activate Iron Skin to bulk up it's health. Get an Iron Shrapnel so you can burst Iron Skin and re-apply at will and probably an Ironclad Charge for your armour. Other than Iron Skin management you ignore the other abilities if you want, though your team mates would like an odd Roar or Stomp.

Rhino is definitely a awesome choice for a warframe. I have rhino prime and a good build for him too.