Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Deluxe working with Limbo parts

DarkOvion

7 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Isn't the point of Deluxe Skins to be dramatically different?

I mean, Ash's look like a real ninja, Mag's looks like a rejected Hula Hoop dancer, Trinity's is all themed after Hindu Gods/Buddhas, Nidus' looks like an Armored Nightmare Demon, Rhino becomes Spiderman's Rhino, I don't know what to describe Octavia's as, & Nekros' makes him more of a specter/ghost than a Grim Reaper.

They all don't fit the frame they are based after in truth.

No, it's not - the deluxe skins have generally been an 'improved' or 'alternate' of the thing, but you can usually clearly tell what it is:

Nezha Empyrean - Bulkier, cloth armoured, but still clearly Nezha.
Ash Koga - Sleeker, shinier, clearly Ash.
Banshee Soprana - Sleeker, shinier, clearly Banshee.
Chroma Dynasty - Chunky armoured fella, but clearly Chroma.
Ember Vermillion - A lazy derpy adjusment to the default skin, still clearly Ember.
Excal Proto - The original and a nod to the past, pre-deluxe deluxe, but it still looks like an Excal in jeans.
Frost Harka - Buff and horny, but still clearly Frost.
Inaros Ramses - A sleeker, more statuesque skin, but it's clearly Inaros.
Loki Knave - Sleeker, tighter, clearly Loki.
Mag Pneuma - Shinier, sleeker and chunkier at the same time, floaty limbs, but still clearly Mag.
Mesa Presidio - Literally a shinier Mesa in a suit.
Nekros Irkalla - Gaunt, siny, clearly a Nekros.
Nidus Phyrke - VERY chunky and armoured. Not obviously a Nidus or obviously infested until you look close.
Nova Asuri - Chunky, bulky, it's a Nova but only just.
Nyx Nemesis - Another pre-deluxe, deluxe. Still looks sort of Nyx-y, though not clearly so..
Oberon Feyarch - Fancy, armoured, foresty, arguably more Oberon than original Oberon.
Octavia Maestra - Octavia isn't the most... stand out frame anyway being 'dancing girl', Maestra is covered in speakers but other than that you wouldn't go 'oh it's Octavia'.
Rhino Palatine - Sleeker, fancier, clearly Rhino.
Saryn Orphid - Sleeker, fancier, clearly Saryn.
Trinity Strega - Sleeker, fancier, a little generic, but still Trinity.
Valky Gersemi - Before the change, cleaner, explcitly Valkyr.
Vauban Citadel - I'ts a steampunk knight, It's easy to tell it's Vauban, though not explcitly so.
Volt Proto - It's... I mean you can clearly tell it's Volt.

Out of 23 Deluxe Skins:
2 'Pre-Deluxe'
17 'clearly fancier versions'
6 'slightly different, but still able to tell it's the frame'
1 that's a little unclear.

Then Limbo Deluxe that - is entirely unrelated to the original, won't really work with any of the existing skins, and people think is a Revenant skin mainly.

2 hours ago, DarkOvion said:

No, it's not - the deluxe skins have generally been an 'improved' or 'alternate' of the thing, but you can usually clearly tell what it is:

Nezha, Frost, Nidus, Octavia, Banshee - all of these look nothing like their original counterparts

Hell, Banshee's deluxe looks more like Octavia

2 hours ago, DarkOvion said:

Ember Vermillion - A lazy derpy adjusment to the default skin, still clearly Ember.

Excal Proto - The original and a nod to the past, pre-deluxe deluxe, but it still looks like an Excal in jeans.
Oberon Feyarch - Fancy, armoured, foresty, arguably more Oberon than original Oberon.
Volt Proto - It's... I mean you can clearly tell it's Volt.

These are my favorite descriptions. Well said!

32 minutes ago, bugalien said:

the skin is pretty cool, but there is no way that is going to be a skin for limbo, sorry.

are you saying that as a 'That clearly isn't a skin that DE would put on Limbo' or 'that skin doesn't belong to Limbo'.

Because the former is provably wrong as they flat out said that this is Limbo Deluxe in Tennocon and on Devstream 119. The latter has been said, multiple times.

Deluxe skins rarely mix well with normal/prime skins anyway. In a way it limits Fashion Frame, but on the other hand, it gives more freedom in the design of the Deluxe skin itself.

I suspect many Tenno can name that one Deluxe skin they dislike a lot. It is inevitable. If DE will try to cater to everyone tastes, no one will be happy in the end.

22 часа назад, Padre_Akais сказал:

I tend to disagree a bit as all the other skins have been either expansions or redirections on a theme from the original...This one doesn't seem to fit either category to me...It could be that I just don't recognize the theme it is expanding on though.

I am getting serious “fire eater/sneak charmer/fakir” vibes from this one. Mostly thanks to turban-like helmet and that beard. Fits a magician theme in a way. 
Still can not figure out why add Sentient aesthetics to the mix though. Maybe concept artist got hit by inspiration? When this happens it can be hard to stay in the limits of the technical specifications.

13 часов назад, Zavenosk сказал:

I like the skin, and definitely will get it once it comes out. What worries me is how it'll be hooked up into Limbo's skeleton. It has too many joints in some places, and not enough in others...  It could easy cross the line from awesome to tedious.

I just do not see agile Limbo stance not looking ridiculous with this skin. Noble? Maaaaaaybe. Thankfully we can use stances from other frames.

I've never liked Limbo's design before. I never thought it fit the aesthetic of the other warframes, and looked too... specific. He can't be anything but a stage magician in a tux, and is going to look weird with any armor piece. The same goes for Hydroid, but to a lesser degree, and Mirage. That whole line of warframes were very clearly given a specific theme that it is hard to look past. 

I like the idea of a Sentient Limbo, eidolon ghosts phasing somewhat reminiscent of his skills. I'm not a huge fan of the tiny stick feet that seems to becoming so common (Oberon Deluxe, Limbo Deluxe, Atlas Deluxe) but at least in his case I can sort of understand it, since Sentients don't generally have feet. What I really dislike however is his weird long noodle nose thing he's got going on. 

I'll still get it, and use it over any other Limbo, and maybe even play Limbo more because I would rather be a Sentient fighter than a cheesy magician.

@DarkOvion

I didn't want to go down the whole list too many skins.

I do agree that many skins retain certain aesthetics so you "know" which frame it is based off of. But it isn't obvious for some.

I have to respectfully disagree on Frost Harka, Trinity Strega, Oberon Feyarch, Octavia Maestra, & Inaros Ramses, all look nothing like their originals or Prime models.

And especially on Nova Asuri. The reason I point this one out is...

It looks so unlike Nova I actually thought it was Trinity's Deluxe. In my original reply I editted Nova to Trinity because after posting I thought "Oh crap. I got that one wrong."

But after logging in game I quickly realized it is in fact Nova's Deluxe.

IMPO I feel like the Deluxe skins are suppose to look less like the original models but instead focus on the THEME of the Warframe.

Ash Koga looks like a real Ninja & not an Ant-Ninja-thingy for example.

Saryn & Oberon both focus on the Nature Theme both frames carry.

Trinity makes her like a Fantasy Healer of sorts.

Ember's...um...*eats a twix* mumble, mumble, mumble.

Mesa's focus' on her sharpshooter/gunslinger theme.

Nekros' is a revenant (the irony here...).

Valkyr's is her before Capture & torture. (As well a can of worms for lore when you bring in her Prime. A topic & deadhorse for a different thread) I admit...I got nothing on this one. No theme to it impo.

Nyx's um...*eats another twix* mumble, grumble, mumble.

Mag's I shouldn't have listed. After logging in game I realised that is Mag & not Nova's Deluxe.

(I thought Mag Pneuma was Nova; Nova Asuri was Trinity, & Trinity Strega I honestly thought was Nezha. *shrugs)

Excalibur & Volt Proto are kind of a no brainer...they need to look like the originals slightly.

Nezha Empyrean looks amazing but it looks nothing like original Nezha in any capacity. If it were released with Nezha's name & poses folks would think it was a new warframe.

So...my point?

I think Limbo Deluxe is suppose to focus on Limbo's theme of shifting realms/reality.

Personally, I HATE how Limbo looks like a magician but he has no magic. Just shifting planes.

So the Sentient skin really fits in truth. Just like how Vomvalyst shift planes when damaged.

Limbo's theme is one of shifting planes & manipulation. Which some Sentient units do, mainly the Volmvalysts & we can argue Eidolons in some aspects.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

I think Limbo Deluxe is suppose to focus on Limbo's theme of shifting realms/reality.

Personally, I HATE how Limbo looks like a magician but he has no magic. Just shifting planes.

So the Sentient skin really fits in truth. Just like how Vomvalyst shift planes when damaged.

Limbo's theme is one of shifting planes & manipulation. Which some Sentient units do, mainly the Volmvalysts & we can argue Eidolons in some aspects.

Nice analysis! An interesting thought.

I'd like to add something however - I thought I had a while back when pondering Limbo's theme. Consider this: none of Limbo's powers affect the enemies directly, right? They only manipulate the rift. Stopping movement in the rift, focusing the rift's energies and opening portals and gateways to it. Stage Magicians, too, have no actual power - they manipulate their environment and use cunning tricks to fool their audience into believing they have power. Limbo manipulates his environment and uses cunning tricks to mimic having powers that directly manipulate those around him, even though (by default) he doesn't. In that way he's not a magician like a Wizard is a magician, he's a magician in the sense that he's an illusionist.

Hell, one of the big magic societies in real life is called the magic circle - a term that's used for a lot of things, but one of them is the mental state that magicians and other performers draw you into where you feel it's ok to believe. And, due to the outline it creates at the border, Limbo's 4 is a literal magic circle, and a bunch of his other graphical effects make circular shapes too.

So that seems to be where he gets that whole 'stage magician' vibe from, thematically.

50 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Nice analysis! An interesting thought.

I'd like to add something however - I thought I had a while back when pondering Limbo's theme. Consider this: none of Limbo's powers affect the enemies directly, right? They only manipulate the rift. Stopping movement in the rift, focusing the rift's energies and opening portals and gateways to it. Stage Magicians, too, have no actual power - they manipulate their environment and use cunning tricks to fool their audience into believing they have power. Limbo manipulates his environment and uses cunning tricks to mimic having powers that directly manipulate those around him, even though (by default) he doesn't. In that way he's not a magician like a Wizard is a magician, he's a magician in the sense that he's an illusionist.

Hell, one of the big magic societies in real life is called the magic circle - a term that's used for a lot of things, but one of them is the mental state that magicians and other performers draw you into where you feel it's ok to believe. And, due to the outline it creates at the border, Limbo's 4 is a literal magic circle, and a bunch of his other graphical effects make circular shapes too.

So that seems to be where he gets that whole 'stage magician' vibe from, thematically.

That is not a bad way to think of it honestly. I never looked at it that way.

Heh, a thread on skins leads to theorycraft on Limbo. I love the chaos skins cause. Haha.

I forgot which devstream it was mentioned on, though it was one around the time of Nezha's or Nidus's deluxe skin launches(hell, might've been Tennocon), the devs said that part of the role of Deluxe skins going forward was to allow them to explore different visual themes that differ substantially from the base version of the frame. This just seems like a natural outgrowth of that, so, eh. It looks decent enough, I'm curious to see it in action.

8 hours ago, Loza03 said:

are you saying that as a 'That clearly isn't a skin that DE would put on Limbo' or 'that skin doesn't belong to Limbo'.

Because the former is provably wrong as they flat out said that this is Limbo Deluxe in Tennocon and on Devstream 119. The latter has been said, multiple times.

oh no i just feel it really dosent fit the appeal of limbo as a frame, stylistically.  

50 minutes ago, bugalien said:

oh no i just feel it really dosent fit the appeal of limbo as a frame, stylistically.  

Well, I kind of feel you, but after staring at a coat for so long, I'm eager to get my hands on something with a different flair.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

That is not a bad way to think of it honestly. I never looked at it that way.

Heh, a thread on skins leads to theorycraft on Limbo. I love the chaos skins cause. Haha.

Indeed. Oh, the places we go on the internet.