Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

LGBT players being silenced?

(NSW)guacxmole

Hey! So I’m a queer Warframe player and a huge fan of the game. I’m running into an issue, however, where I’m being suspended from chat for a week at a time while attempting to recruit for my lgbt-oriented clan. It’s happened twice now and to say it’s frustrating is an understatement. I’d like to try to understand the reasoning behing auto-kicking people discussing gay or queer topics considering how relevant it is when seeking to make friends with fellow LGBT players in a game full of straight men and women. Is Warframe a safe game to play for LGBT people? I’d like to open a discussion with devs about this because simply trying to navigate the game as a queer person is being deemed too inappropriate. I’ve submitted a support ticket each time I’ve been banned and never recieved any support or explanation as to why this has continually been happening. If there is a different way I need to be approaching this, I’m all ears. But as it stands I’m finding it incredibly difficult to operate my clan and interact in chat when I’ve spent more time suspended than not.

Thanks, 

- Alex

• Like 2

The Devs are supportive of LGBT+ players but the issue of xphobic players using gay as a slur more often than players using it in legitimate conversation has led to a "greater good" moderation policy. 

Sadly, at the moment, it would be better to avoid the known trigger word of gay and utilize something else until DE can get their moderation sorted and updated. 

I would like to see the auto kick feature only applied to public chats while private and semi private (clan, alliance, whisper) are self moderated with block lists made by the player. 

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 1

As MagPrime said, it's a pretty unessecary attempt at protecting us.

Though you shouldn't be getting suspended for talking about it in clan chat, if that's what you're saying? I can't help ya there, but in Region you're better off just using LGBT (if that doesn't get you banned) as not to set off the machine. 

11 minutes ago, (NSW)guacxmole said:

while attempting to recruit for my lgbt-oriented clan

That's your problem right there. Creating a group that only allows LGBT is the same as jobs that only hire LGBT. It causes segregation on the personal level that shouldn't be in the first place.

• Like 4

While I have no particular issue with LGBT players, I see no real reason for sexual preference/orientation to even be a necessary topic/conversation in the game.  For all I care you could be a blue alien sitting behind the other screen as long as you can play the game and aren't a total idiot in chat.

Also, and this might seem a little harsh, considering the current push for acceptance and integration into 'normal life' of the LGBT community, I find it a little ironic and maybe even hypocritical to make a LGBT only clan....

As to the bans... you've already found that certain topics trigger the bans so easiest solution is don't talk in the game chat about topics you know are going to get you suspended from chat....

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, NekroArts said:

That's your problem right there. Creating a group that only allows LGBT is the same as jobs that only hire LGBT. It causes segregation on the personal level that shouldn't be in the first place.

1 minute ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Also you are trying to make a clan that’s only granting access if the person matches the requirement of not being straight. That’s literally like being a clan that’s only accepting white people. 

You want to be treated as an equal then stop segregating yourselves.

9 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I find it a little ironic and maybe even hypocritical to make a LGBT only clan....

This is Olympics worthy mental gymnastics.

• Like 2

It gets overwhelming and frustrating feeling as though I’m the only queer player in the game and witnessing homophobic garbage in region chat. What I’m attempting to do is specifically INCLUSIVE of LGBT players rather than EXCLUSIVE of non-LGBT players. I understand where people are coming from with this idea of “segregation” but the truth is, the game chats are dominated by straight people already. You already have an entire space where you can feel comfortable and included and not need to put any thought to interacting with others. As my repeated bans have demonstrated, navigating the chats as a queer person is like walking on eggshells and I wish to make a space where myself and players like me can feel the same level of comfort as straight players experience in the game at large. Crying “straightphobia” is just.. inaccurate to say the least. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

This is Olympics worthy mental gymnastics.

Well at least quote mine in context, it makes a considerable difference to how it is interpreted....but I suspect that is exactly why you've quoted it out of context.

• Like 2

Just now, (NSW)guacxmole said:

It gets overwhelming and frustrating feeling as though I’m the only queer player in the game and witnessing homophobic garbage in region chat. What I’m attempting to do is specifically INCLUSIVE of LGBT players rather than EXCLUSIVE of non-LGBT players. I understand where people are coming from with this idea of “segregation” but the truth is, the game chats are dominated by straight people already. You already have an entire space where you can feel comfortable and included and not need to put any thought to interacting with others. As my repeated bans have demonstrated, navigating the chats as a queer person is like walking on eggshells and I wish to make a space where myself and players like me can feel the same level of comfort as straight players experience in the game at large. Crying “straightphobia” is just.. inaccurate to say the least. 

So you’re trying to create a safe space?

That’s increbily unhealthy.

13 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

As to the bans... you've already found that certain topics trigger the bans so easiest solution is don't talk in the game chat about topics you know are going to get you suspended from chat....

Sure. And I’m sure you tell victims of crime to just stop putting themselves in danger as well.

Why is it my responsibility and mine alone to walk on eggshells to avoid getting banned when DE has a duty of care to protect all of their players and is currently missing the mark? 

• Like 2

Just now, LSG501 said:

Well at least quote mine in context, it makes a considerable difference to how it is interpreted....but I suspect that is exactly why you've quoted it out of context.

The thing is, though, the context didn't change the awfulness of your blazing hot take on LGBT people maybe wanting to find others like them online and how that's ironic in a time where it's still not 100% safe to be out.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

So you’re trying to create a safe space?

That’s increbily unhealthy.

No, it's not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, (NSW)guacxmole said:

I understand where people are coming from with this idea of “segregation” but the truth is, the game chats are dominated by straight people already.

Is this a presumption, assumption without evidence, assumption based on anecdotal evidence, or proof-based knowledge?

• Like 2

My sexual preferences are irrelevant to having fun and feeling accepted in Warframe. I've met many people from around the world here and the last thing I wonder to myself, is if I can find like minded people to talk about SnuSnu with.

• Like 3

Just now, Morthal said:

the last thing I wonder to myself, is if I can find like minded people to talk about SnuSnu with.

The problem here is the stereotype that queer people live breathe and exist just to have sex with each other. Being queer is not just about who you want to mash privates with. It’s about experiencing a different way of interacting with the world because of the prejudice that is commonly directed towards us. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why anyone that disagrees with what you're trying to accomplish is even commenting on this. It's extremely hypocritical to disagree based on the segregation point when clans that are based on MR requirements exist, among other silly stuff in games like these. Why shouldn't people be allowed to form groups with like minded people? 

G'luck OP

• Like 2

Just now, (PS4)FunkyTown_76 said:

I don't understand why anyone that disagrees with what you're trying to accomplish is even commenting on this. It's extremely hypocritical to disagree based on the segregation point when clans that are based on MR requirements exist, among other silly stuff in games like these. Why shouldn't people be allowed to form groups with like minded people? 

G'luck OP

The support is very much appreciated!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MasterBurik said:

Is this a presumption, assumption without evidence, assumption based on anecdotal evidence, or proof-based knowledge?

It is an assumption based on the fact that around 90% of all people are straight and thus it would be incredibly unlikely if straight people did not dominate the chat. Silly question...