Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are "Mastery Rank Tests" there to make players leave the game?

CPT_deBauch

Because I fail to see what else can be achieved by this game design "feature". Really.

These tests force the player to do things that he/she doesn't want to do 'cause they are boring or just s###ty (hello "Parkour", hello "Stealth") and penalizes failure with 24hr cooldown to the next attempt. What's the positive side to it?

Edited by CPT_deBauch
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

Because I fail to see what else can be achieved by this game design "feature". Really.

These tests force the player to do things that he/she doesn't want to do 'cause they are boring or just s###ty (hello "Parkour", hello "Stealth") and penalizes failure with 24hr cooldown to the next attempt. What's the positive side to it?

It's part of the progression system.  It's also supposed to test what you've learned about the game and push you to learn more.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

You fail your test Bud?

Let us know which test and we can try and advise.

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

If you go to a relay you can go to Simaris you can practice the mastery tests before actually doing them so you don't have to wait 24 hours for it. MR 9 test was the hardest for me because I had no stealth frames at the time. I failed it a few times myself.

I just see it as a way to put a bit of marker on you mastery rank-up, to make it a little more memorable. The 24-hour cooldown adds a bit tension without permanently hampering your progression; additional mastery points will add on as normal.

I'm MR 23 and I think I've only failed the test twice, and one of them was because heavy server load kicked me out of the session. Once I found out that I could practice at Simaris's place, I haven't failed one since.

I think, like pretty much everything else in this game, it just needs a bit of preparation. You prepare well, you'll breeze through.

Edited by KnossosTNC

21 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

What's the positive side to it?

you gotta learn how to do stuff other than hacking and slashing. you get additional loadout slots and can obtain more Void Traces and Reputation with syndicates, as well as get access to more powerful weapons (though this stops after a certain point.). it's worth doing, and as other's have mentioned, you can practice them as often as you like if you go to visit Simaris. 

we've all failed them from time to time. I hate the stealth ones too, but once you get certain frames it's not that hard.

• Like 2

>TFW the MR26 test was just the MR23 test again

So nice we had to do it twice

9VPgR9y.png

I really wouldn't mind the MRTests as a whole if they were actually fun or interesting. I feel like some of the earlier tests were waaaaay more interesting (like the one where you had to sneak around without getting caught) because they genuinely felt like you were playing the videogame and not just doing busywork. But now some of the more recent ones have genuinely felt awful to play, like really really bad, which is honestly backwards because DE had way more time to design those than the earlier ones given how many points we need and how little's been released inbetween.

To this day I still say the 24 hour wait after failing the test is borderline f***ed. There's literally no reason for this other than to annoy people (especially since the majority of people aren't gonna immediately look up a guide and are going to enter unprepared 90% of the time, and the fact that people DO look up guides before going in is proof of how unenjoyable they really are as a part of the game). Just let them try again. 'Adding tension' isn't an excuse. The gameplay itself should do that, not the threat of a time gate. It's an admission of bad design.

Edited by Diarist
  • Like 4

Step 1 - travel to relay 

Step 2 - fast travel to simarus

Step 3 - on the right side of the room is every test in the game

Step 4 - pick one and choose "practice"

Step 5 - pass the test 

The positive side is that it tests your ability to perform basic actions required of you by the game. They're exceptionally easy and essentially test if you have a pulse. 

They are tests that ....... t e s t. Your knowledge of basic game play elements. I'm a total noob and I find them to be a non issue since you can cheat by practicing first.

Edited by IIDMOII

21 minutes ago, NPC said:

If u can't clear a mastery test, then u have clearly not mastered the game enough for said mastery rank. 

U can practice the tests in Relays on advance without a cooldown

The thing is: mastery rank tests require you to do things that have nothing to do with being good at the game.

18 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

You fail your test Bud?

Let us know which test and we can try and advise.

Thanks, but I've already figured that out.

10 minutes ago, (XB1)Skiller115 said:

If you go to a relay you can go to Simaris you can practice the mastery tests before actually doing them so you don't have to wait 24 hours for it. MR 9 test was the hardest for me because I had no stealth frames at the time. I failed it a few times myself.

I've found out about that too, but only after some googling and warframe-wiki reading. There is no information about this feature in game. There are lots of things in this game you can only know about if you googled for them specifically, which makes the game extremely hostile for new players.

10 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

I just see it as a way to put a bit of marker on you mastery rank-up, to make it a little more memorable. The 24-hour cooldown adds a bit tension without permanently hampering your progression; additional mastery points will add on as normal.

I'm MR 23 and I think I've only failed the test twice, and one of them was because heavy server load kicked me out of the session. Once I found out that I could practice at Simaris's place, I haven't failed one since.

I think, like pretty much everything else in this game, it just needs a bit of preparation. You prepare well, you'll breeze through.

I wouldn't say that losing 24 hours adds "a bit of tension". I'd say it adds a lot of hate towards that mom-look-imma-gaem-designer who devised this gameplay mechanic. BTW, I have enough things I must be prepared for in real life, but IRL I get paid for being prepared for them.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

you gotta learn how to do stuff other than hacking and slashing. you get additional loadout slots and can obtain more Void Traces and Reputation with syndicates, as well as get access to more powerful weapons (though this stops after a certain point.). it's worth doing, and as other's have mentioned, you can practice them as often as you like if you go to visit Simaris. 

we've all failed them from time to time. I hate the stealth ones too, but once you get certain frames it's not that hard.

Aren't there other, less frustrating and time-consuming, ways to teach people "how to do stuff other than hacking and slashing"?

dude once i failed my mr 22 i think 4 times .. 😄 just enjoy dont cry for nerf on the forums this "game is easy enough "

ahh enough sarcasm
- go relay train that mission until you master it - tada u rdy to win thats it nothing hard or imposible

Edited by J1ha7

18 minutes ago, J1ha7 said:

dude once i failed my mr 22 i think 4 times .. 😄 just enjoy dont cry for nerf on the forums this "game is easy enough "

ahh enough sarcasm
- go relay train that mission until you master it - tada u rdy to win thats it nothing hard or imposible

I'm not crying (and I didn't cry "nerf" anywhere), I'm genuinely curious about what the devs want to achieve with this gameplay element. I fail to see anything positive about it so far.

Edited by CPT_deBauch
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CPT_deBauch said:

I'm not crying (and I didn't cry "nerf" anywhere), I'm genuinely curious about what the devs want to achieve with this gameplay element. I fail to see anything positive about it so far.

its warframe many things dont make sense dude accept it move on .. its there  " they had a plan for something but somewhere in the middle they left it there and  thats it ) 😄 like allot of the stuff in warframe is half baked so yea i feel you  there but atleast + 100 void trace

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

I wouldn't say that losing 24 hours adds "a bit of tension". I'd say it adds a lot of hate towards that mom-look-imma-gaem-designer who devised this gameplay mechanic. BTW, I have enough things I must be prepared for in real life, but IRL I get paid for being prepared for them.

Oh, I do agree 24 hours is excessive, and certainly, there are other ways of adding tension to a gameplay element.

But meh, it's a video game. If you're comparing it to real life and finding that it's enough to inspire "hate," then you're taking it too seriously. It's far, far from the only video game that punishes players for mistakes or lack of preparation.

57 minutes ago, CPT_deBauch said:

I've found out about that too, but only after some googling and warframe-wiki reading. There is no information about this feature in game. There are lots of things in this game you can only know about if you googled for them specifically, which makes the game extremely hostile for new players.

It's called using your eyeballs and/or exploring. You may not notice it immediately within your first couple of MRs, but you have to deal with Simaris eventually and if you can't be bothered to look through this brand new room to you when first walk into it, let alone simply looking to your right when you enter, that's on you. You don't have to google things to figure it out. It isn't some hidden mechanic, it's pretty clearly there.

1 hour ago, so_many_watermelons said:

It's called using your eyeballs and/or exploring. You may not notice it immediately within your first couple of MRs, but you have to deal with Simaris eventually and if you can't be bothered to look through this brand new room to you when first walk into it, let alone simply looking to your right when you enter, that's on you. You don't have to google things to figure it out. It isn't some hidden mechanic, it's pretty clearly there.

Also in those loading screen tips. But I guess some people don't bother to read it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, so_many_watermelons said:

Don't be that person. For years there wasn't even a practice option for mastery tests. Then DE didn't even inform players that they could practice the tests and only used a prompt for them to take the mastery test. It wasn't until very recently that DE did anything to inform players that they could actually practice the MR test before taking it.

And yes, the 24 hour timer between tests, pass or fail, is a poorly designed mobile game time sink that has been around from when DE was just trying to stay afloat (and thought they needed these mechanics to keep players engaged). It should change to a maximum of 20 hours so that players can maintain daily schedules and should not occur when passing a test. But DE isn't really interested in making QoL improvements that are desperately needed, like giving players a way to reacquire login reward weapons/mods. Just add this to the list of forgotten mechanics.

• Like 3

95% of Warframe is designed to make you quit and play something else.... its a really S#&$ty Skinner Box....the only reason this game continues is because of its community.... which help mitagate alot of the Annoyances caused by its design.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Don't be that person. For years there wasn't even a practice option for mastery tests. Then DE didn't even inform players that they could practice the tests and only used a prompt for them to take the mastery test. It wasn't until very recently that DE did anything to inform players that they could actually practice the MR test before taking it.

And yes, the 24 hour timer between tests, pass or fail, is a poorly designed mobile game time sink that has been around from when DE was just trying to stay afloat (and thought they needed these mechanics to keep players engaged). It should change to a maximum of 20 hours so that players can maintain daily schedules and should not occur when passing a test. But DE isn't really interested in making QoL improvements that are desperately needed, like giving players a way to reacquire login reward weapons/mods. Just add this to the list of forgotten mechanics.

Do not excuse the mediocrity of other players on DE, people has grow so use to over tutorialize games that is sad really,  OP clearly don't invest 5 minutes exploring a relay but instead want everything to be feedspoon to him, is really sad to see people not being able use their nugget to think and have some initiative instead of waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

95% of Warframe is designed to make you quit and play something else.... its a really S#&$ty Skinner Box....the only reason this game continues is because of its community.... which help mitagate alot of the Annoyances caused by its design.

Well go hop on the Anthem train but don't worry after EA suck your wallet dry you'll be back here complaining about a game you still play lol

• Like 1

Mastery Rank Test consists of the word Mastery and Test.

Mastery means the knowledge of the system and the capability to execute on that knowledge. Test means it's testing you on that Mastery, whether you like it or not.

They're not called Haha Rank Fun.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CPT_deBauch said:

There is no information about this feature in game. There are lots of things in this game you can only know about if you googled for them specifically, which makes the game extremely hostile for new players.

I've always appreciate game that don't call me stupid and let me explore it myself. And achievement system that are simply there to say, "I did all the things."

Because right now there is somebody out there still playing retro games to find a secret nobody has found in the 20 years they have been around. 

But the most basic things, in the relay simply ask you walk up to something and go, oh that's what it is. 

The relay isn't that impressive to get lost. 

Without the time delay you could easily get to max MR in a week. Hell even right now with enough free time and $ a person probably could get to MR 26 in 26 days. You'd only have to level like 12-15 weapons a day and as many warframes as you can get your hands on asap.

But this isn't RDR2 and getting the Black Cougar pelt for increased stamina xp is stupid because it takes like 30 minutes to max out stamina, and you can't even get the pelt till after the end of the game. 

8 minutes ago, (NSW)Evilpricetag said:

I've always appreciate game that don't call me stupid and let me explore it myself. And achievement system that are simply there to say, "I did all the things."

Because right now there is somebody out there still playing retro games to find a secret nobody has found in the 20 years they have been around. 

But the most basic things, in the relay simply ask you walk up to something and go, oh that's what it is. 

The relay isn't that impressive to get lost. 

Without the time delay you could easily get to max MR in a week. Hell even right now with enough free time and $ a person probably could get to MR 26 in 26 days. You'd only have to level like 12-15 weapons a day and as many warframes as you can get your hands on asap.

But this isn't RDR2 and getting the Black Cougar pelt for increased stamina xp is stupid because it takes like 30 minutes to max out stamina, and you can't even get the pelt till after the end of the game. 

People now days, just want to get their hand held through everything! I mean it's not like there's dozens of videos on YouTube about how to cheese every single mr test is it?

• Like 4