Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The AFK detecting "feature" really needs to be taken care of

GrandLompus

I was playing the Ropalolyst boss fight today, and, wanting to figure it all out myself, chose Ivara to have some breathing room to figure stuff out.

So I was still horsing around with my operator, dancing with the Ropalolyst, making some progress I think, when at the 22 minute mark I suddenly get:
"Mission failure imminent - eliminate all remaining targets"

Yeah, I'd like to within the one minute countdown, but needless to say that ruined the mission for me...

Please, DE, see to it that this anti-AFK 'feature' is properly taken care of, or otherwise gets parked if it's not fixable.

EDIT:

Went right into the fight again after venting here, managed to charge all 3 thingies, then got the same message again at about the 20 minute mark as well when trying to figure out what to do next 😞  I wonder if I'm better off waiting for some future bug fix?  And, no, I do not want spoilers 🙂

Edited by GrandLompus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

How is that mission taking you 20 minutes? That should be done and over with in 5 minutes tops.

Probably so if you've already ran it a few times to completion.  But like I said: I do not want spoilers, so I'm trying to figure it all out myself without any prior knowledge.  Maybe I'm just dense, but I've still not figured out how to do it yet.  Or maybe that's just not the way Warframe works and first reading up on missions in the forums and the wikia is a strict prerequisite.

Edited by GrandLompus
  • Like 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb GrandLompus:

Probably so if you've already ran it a few times to completion.  But like I said: I do not want spoilers, so I'm trying to figure it all out myself without any prior knowledge.  Maybe I'm just dense, but I've still not figured out how to do it yet.  Or maybe that's just not the way Warframe works and first reading up on missions in the forums and the wikia is a strict prerequisite.

It's not required, Alad gives you a lot of hints.

Just now, Drachnyn said:

The one console is what got me and my squad for the longest time. We thought it was the elevator switch or something, and paid it no mind as we tried to figure out what to do. About the only thing in the fight that should probably have a Waypoint on it, as, like you mentioned, Alad basically tells the Players everything.

• Like 1

the mission failure you experienced is because you didn't kill an enemy for 10 minutes.

this system was implemented to stop people from afk leveling. basically they went into a low level exterminate with a frame modded for efficiency, killed all enemies (back then exterminates had a set number of enemies) and used an auto klicker to spam certain abilities. since each ability cast gave you xp shared among all equipped gear.

you could go afk and when you came vack an hour later you just had to extract with you fully levelled gear

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

His hints outright lie to you and don't actually tell you what you can and can't do or how. There are two things that stumped me while soloing it, and the second one I just looked up. It's intuitive to charge the conduits with the laser. The other two things TC doesn't want spoiled, however, gave me a back to back "Huh. I didn't even know I could do that" reaction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chaincat said:

His hints outright lie to you and don't actually tell you what you can and can't do or how. There are two things that stumped me while soloing it, and the second one I just looked up. It's intuitive to charge the conduits with the laser. The other two things TC doesn't want spoiled, however, gave me a back to back "Huh. I didn't even know I could do that" reaction.

And I think I'm in the same boat.  I did spot the console, but it's inactive even after charging all 3 capacitors.

To get some insight into a newb's confused state of mind, I tried (not really in chronological order):

Spoiler
  • Soloing as Ivara, but her invis in of no use once you start approaching the capacitors.  I tried a few tactics to see if I could dodge the beams, but needless to say I failed that try, and hard.  End of try one.
  • Tried Valkyr, but got one-shotted anyway.  Valkyr's 4 did bring immunity, but since I still had no clue as to what to do next I horsed around and got AFK-kicked.  Posted here, since it seemed unfair after 20 minutes of trying hard.
  • Went with Ivara again because I'm not in the mood (nor reflex) to do some hard-on gaming atm, and Ivara at least makes the trip to Ropa a lot smoother.  Remembered the Ropapolyst is a sentient, so tried my operator, and void mode also did bring immunity.  I did flunk a few of the trips to the capacitors and switching into/out of operator mode however, so I played less aggressive, got all 3 caps charged at a slower pace, and took too long 'cause got AFK-kicked again.  Posted my update here again.
  • I did notice there is some current below the center platform and also a ring of static above it.  I already tried to shoot it previously, but it didn't do anything.  Also not in the center spot.  Ropa also hovers there quite serenely, so it's not a passive thing that's needed here.  Alad also said something like "bring the flame to the moth" or such, which seems to fit here, but I can't fathom what is needed.  I did see the console there, but it is deactivated?  I tried to jump up to it, but it's just too high up.  The coil below the platform is also out of reach it seems (you just get respawned on the platform).
  • When idling a bit behind a charged cap, I noticed that Alad's lines become different when Ropa keeps shooting the thing.  It looks like it's a hint that the caps need to be charged in multiple stages, and that a final blast from Ropa will blow it or something.  So I circle-danced around it some more, but nothing interesting happened.
  • Not willing to give up that easily, I finally saw the "x" hint when approaching the rip lines to the capacitors as operator, so from there on did those as operator, but the x hint is missing for the 2nd and 3rd capacitor.  Tried anyway, fell out of the map, tried some more, and found out that when pressing x within the first microsecond after falling off the platform, operator does land on them.  But not always, causing some extra failed attempts that one-shotted me afterwards.  I guess I've never experienced falling out of the map as operator before, because my first instinct was to press 5 when back in the game, only to find out I just transfered right into my warframe again and got one-shotted.  Lesson learned after a few failed attempts and some WTF moments: falling out of the map keeps you in the operator / warframe mode.
  • Then (contrary to Alad's hints, but just felt like it) I tried to rip it's shields with my amp, succeeded, but one more void beam blast after the shields were gone and Ropa is indestructible again, in both operator and warframe mode.  I guess this is a bug?  Shooting it afterwards did nothing.
  • After charging all 3 caps (again, xth time by now) I retried to make the ring of static above the center platform work for me again.  I tried to void dash the beast right under the charged ring, thinking that might stun it or something and bring opportunities that way.  But void dashes seem to put you right back into warframe mode atm?  Since when is that?  Needless to say I was one-shotted right there up in the air at Ropa's feet when operator became Ivara again.  I did see a hint to use "x" flash by in that instant, but it was gone so fast I wonder if it's a bug or really something I should do.  Thinking I might be able to grab it's feet or something I tried a few more void dashes to Ropa and pressing x right after, but that only caused swift death every time.
  • I remembered the big central pillar inside the structure, which I also explored previously en route to Ropa (instant extra minutes wasted on the AFK timer), and thinking I might just need to back out of this tile and the fight should be fought there or such.  I tried to reach the building, but there's just nothing there like an exit I think?  Flying around trying to reach it I got one-shotted again.
  • Horsed around some more after that trying to get some clues, got AFK-banned again, for the 3rd time.
  • Lines of text I do not know what to make of as of now:
    • Alad giving extra hints after a cap is already charged but gets shot again by Ropa
    • Natah: "That [sequence?] doesn't work anymore", after horsing around too long?
    • A few more that I only picked up half, because I was trying to save my ass from being one-shotted.

Ah well, must be one of those days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helch0rn said:

the mission failure you experienced is because you didn't kill an enemy for 10 minutes.

this system was implemented to stop people from afk leveling. basically they went into a low level exterminate with a frame modded for efficiency, killed all enemies (back then exterminates had a set number of enemies) and used an auto klicker to spam certain abilities. since each ability cast gave you xp shared among all equipped gear.

you could go afk and when you came vack an hour later you just had to extract with you fully levelled gear

Which makes it even harder to justify to keep it active, now that that manner of AFK farming isn't a thing anymore.

2 minutes ago, GrandLompus said:

And I think I'm in the same boat.  I did spot the console, but it's inactive even after charging all 3 capacitors.

To get some insight into a newb's confused state of mind, I tried (not really in chronological order):

Reveal hidden contents
  • Soloing as Ivara, but her invis in of no use once you start approaching the capacitors.  I tried a few tactics to see if I could dodge the beams, but needless to say I failed that try, and hard.  End of try one.
  • Tried Valkyr, but got one-shotted anyway.  Valkyr's 4 did bring immunity, but since I still had no clue as to what to do next I horsed around and got AFK-kicked.  Posted here, since it seemed unfair after 20 minutes of trying hard.
  • Went with Ivara again because I'm not in the mood (nor reflex) to do some hard-on gaming atm, and Ivara at least makes the trip to Ropa a lot smoother.  Remembered the Ropapolyst is a sentient, so tried my operator, and void mode also did bring immunity.  I did flunk a few of the trips to the capacitors and switching into/out of operator mode however, so I played less aggressive, got all 3 caps charged at a slower pace, and took too long 'cause got AFK-kicked again.  Posted my update here again.
  • I did notice there is some current below the center platform and also a ring of static above it.  I already tried to shoot it previously, but it didn't do anything.  Also not in the center spot.  Ropa also hovers there quite serenely, so it's not a passive thing that's needed here.  Alad also said something like "bring the flame to the moth" or such, which seems to fit here, but I can't fathom what is needed.  I did see the console there, but it is deactivated?  I tried to jump up to it, but it's just too high up.  The coil below the platform is also out of reach it seems (you just get respawned on the platform).
  • When idling a bit behind a charged cap, I noticed that Alad's lines become different when Ropa keeps shooting the thing.  It looks like it's a hint that the caps need to be charged in multiple stages, and that a final blast from Ropa will blow it or something.  So I circle-danced around it some more, but nothing interesting happened.
  • Not willing to give up that easily, I finally saw the "x" hint when approaching the rip lines to the capacitors as operator, so from there on did those as operator, but the x hint is missing for the 2nd and 3rd capacitor.  Tried anyway, fell out of the map, tried some more, and found out that when pressing x within the first microsecond after falling off the platform, operator does land on them.  But not always, causing some extra failed attempts that one-shotted me afterwards.  I guess I've never experienced falling out of the map as operator before, because my first instinct was to press 5 when back in the game, only to find out I just transfered right into my warframe again and got one-shotted.  Lesson learned after a few failed attempts and some WTF moments: falling out of the map keeps you in the operator / warframe mode.
  • Then (contrary to Alad's hints, but just felt like it) I tried to rip it's shields with my amp, succeeded, but one more void beam blast after the shields were gone and Ropa is indestructible again, in both operator and warframe mode.  I guess this is a bug?  Shooting it afterwards did nothing.
  • After charging all 3 caps (again, xth time by now) I retried to make the ring of static above the center platform work for me again.  I tried to void dash the beast right under the charged ring, thinking that might stun it or something and bring opportunities that way.  But void dashes seem to put you right back into warframe mode atm?  Since when is that?  Needless to say I was one-shotted right there up in the air at Ropa's feet when operator became Ivara again.  I did see a hint to use "x" flash by in that instant, but it was gone so fast I wonder if it's a bug or really something I should do.  Thinking I might be able to grab it's feet or something I tried a few more void dashes to Ropa and pressing x right after, but that only caused swift death every time.
  • I remembered the big central pillar inside the structure, which I also explored previously en route to Ropa (instant extra minutes wasted on the AFK timer), and thinking I might just need to back out of this tile and the fight should be fought there or such.  I tried to reach the building, but there's just nothing there like an exit I think?  Flying around trying to reach it I got one-shotted again.
  • Horsed around some more after that trying to get some clues, got AFK-banned again, for the 3rd time.
  • Lines of text I do not know what to make of as of now:
    • Alad giving extra hints after a cap is already charged but gets shot again by Ropa
    • Natah: "That [sequence?] doesn't work anymore", after horsing around too long?
    • A few more that I only picked up half, because I was trying to save my ass from being one-shotted.

Ah well, must be one of those days...

You came close, I'll tell you that much. The one-shot lasers make it hard to do what you have to do next.

Just now, Chaincat said:

You came close, I'll tell you that much. The one-shot lasers make it hard to do what you have to do next.

Thanks for the positive note -- at least I'm not barking up a totally wrong tree then 🙂  But I guess I'll give up for now, after 1+ hour of trying things out, getting one-shotted too many times to keep my sanity in check and getting 3 AFK aborts on top of that.  Let's see if I can do better this evening.

Just now, GrandLompus said:

Thanks for the positive note -- at least I'm not barking up a totally wrong tree then 🙂  But I guess I'll give up for now, after 1+ hour of trying things out, getting one-shotted too many times to keep my sanity in check and getting 3 AFK aborts on top of that.  Let's see if I can do better this evening.

I'd like to offer more help but I kinda don't know what else to offer since you don't want spoilers. I guess this should at least help and hopefully contextualize what you did right, you are required to use your operator in this fight.

7 minutes ago, Chaincat said:

I'd like to offer more help but I kinda don't know what else to offer since you don't want spoilers. I guess this should at least help and hopefully contextualize what you did right, you are required to use your operator in this fight.

Thanks for that.  I already figured out the operator was key, seeing Ropa is a sentient and having Teralyst-like shields.  Also it's immunity when in void mode is key it seems (every other tactic gets obliterated in one shot).

Like I said, I wanted to give it another go tonight, but the options keep circling in the back of my head instead anyway 🙂

Things I want to try to do next:

Spoiler
  • see if void-dashing a console works (as you mentioned things being involved you didn't knew were possible)
  • see if raising the alarm before going into the arena makes the console behave differently
  • see if I can jump above Ropa so it shoots at the static ring -- must be a pain to pull off without being one-shotted I guess, then again his lasers are semi-timed so I could pop out of operator mode right after a blast
  • shoot the caps with my operator's amp (I think I tried already, but not sure)
  • see what happens when the electric arcs on the wires to the caps touch you (I know, definitely not the solution, but I just want to know much it hurts)
  • try as Valkyr again, so as to be immune due to her ultimate, and see if I can grab Ropa that way after charging the caps
  • fire a sleep arrow at Ropa, but I predict it'll have no effect (then again who knows?) / fire a noise arrow to get some slack when trying things out (anyone picked up already I'm an Ivara main?)
  • in the same vein: let's try Valkyr's ripline on the beast, might be fun

1 minute ago, GrandLompus said:

Thanks for that.  I already figured out the operator was key, seeing Ropa is a sentient and having Teralyst-like shields.  Also it's immunity when in void mode is key it seems (every other tactic gets obliterated in one shot).

Like I said, I wanted to give it another go tonight, but the options keep circling in the back of my head instead anyway 🙂

Things I want to try to do next:

Hide contents
  • see if void-dashing a console works (as you mentioned things being involved you didn't knew were possible)
  • see if raising the alarm before going into the arena makes the console behave differently
  • see if I can jump above Ropa so it shoots at the static ring -- must be a pain to pull off without being one-shotted I guess, then again his lasers are semi-timed so I could pop out of operator mode right after a blast
  • shoot the caps with my operator's amp (I think I tried already, but not sure)
  • see what happens when the electric arcs on the wires to the caps touch you (I know, definitely not the solution, but I just want to know much it hurts)
  • try as Valkyr again, so as to be immune due to her ultimate, and see if I can grab Ropa that way after charging the caps
  • fire a sleep arrow at Ropa, but I predict it'll have no effect (then again who knows?) / fire a noise arrow to get some slack when trying things out (anyone picked up already I'm an Ivara main?)
  • in the same vein: let's try Valkyr's ripline on the beast, might be fun

One of those are indeed what you're supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Chaincat said:

One of those are indeed what you're supposed to do.

I've figured it out.  At least, I think I did.  Now for a proper execution 🙂

Spoiler
  • Let's not charge 3 caps anymore; one at a time will do.
  • The console indeed does get a function, but only later on.
  • Spam x after void-dashing Ropa; I still couldn't read what it said, but it works.  I now also see why void dashing also switches you to your warframe here (so: not a bug).
  • Getting captured in your warframe is not the way to go 🙂  I got captured as operator first, but that was by coincidence after horsing around a bit trying to figure out what to do after successfully shooting one of it's 'blocks' and not being able to shoot the 2nd.  I needed a 2nd round though because I got the function of the console too late.  I tried again, but with no revives left and getting captured in my warframe was definitely not the way to go.
  • Ivara can play a nice role; keeping on her invis during the 1st part of the boss fight makes you be invis when the amalgams show up.  Then again it only takes 1.5 flying nuke in the 2nd stage to go down, so the sheltering behind the blocks must be performed very accurately.
  • The amalgams are a nice way to reset the AFK timer as well 🙂 - almost had it kick in again but luckily they showed up just in time...

I can now see that after a few tries 5 minutes could be doable, though the trip towards the arena takes quite long as well (hey, Ivara here).

Edited by GrandLompus

3 hours ago, Drachnyn said:

How is that mission taking you 20 minutes? That should be done and over with in 5 minutes tops.

If you actually read what the OP said you would've known that it was their first time doing the fight, quote:

4 hours ago, GrandLompus said:

I was playing the Ropalolyst boss fight today, and, wanting to figure it all out myself

3 hours ago, GrandLompus said:

I mean, Alad V is telling you what to do. Its just about analysis at that point. I'd run with a Ropalolyst group if you can, because that fight is fairly straight forward once you know what he is talking about.

13 minutes ago, Short_Temper said:

I mean, Alad V is telling you what to do. Its just about analysis at that point. I'd run with a Ropalolyst group if you can, because that fight is fairly straight forward once you know what he is talking about.

Call me stubborn, but that is exactly not what I want to do 🙂  I enjoy it more by going solo first and figuring it all out myself.  I have done so with all other content so far (save a few peeks here and there where I really couldn't figure it out), so I wouldn't let this one be an exception.  Only when I've proven myself worthy by soloing content do I join squads to make the grind bearable.

But I've just pulled it of solo!  That run took me almost 40 minutes though with no revives left (yay adrenaline!), but I've got the neuroptics.  Next time will indeed probably be a lot faster, but 5 minutes?  Ah well, we'll see.

Spoiler
  • Due to that "x" hint only flashing by after void dashing the beast I still don't know what it says ("grab" I suppose?) - it was an X hint though, so blindly spamming it did the trick.  Though I call it far from intuitive (then again we had the Exploiter orb as well).  And I first took Alad's hints about bringing the moth to the flame as to lure it there, or lure it under the ring of static or such.
  • For the life of me I couldn't get grabbed as operator anymore, so that one got me puzzled again (how did I do it the first time?), but just horsing around between the laser bursts did the trick.
  • I didn't expect the platform to shrink after each round, so charging all 3 caps at the start is the best move.  Also, it thus got crowded with amalgams there in round 2, and I had no time to cast Ivara's prowl in time (insta-death).
  • I also didn't expect Batalysts to show up in the third round -- lucky for me I took my Eidolon Lanka with me.

Anyway, thank you all for keeping the spoilers away 🙂  It's just that that AFK timer got in my way big time; almost spoiled it for me.

1 hour ago, Blatantfool said:

Even though it doesn't feel like it, the AFK time out feature does more good than evil.

Gotta agree with this. 

OP, just treat it as a timed mission and work around it. There's more than enough time and it's part of your 'figuring out how to' instead of requesting to remove a helpful mechanic.

19 minutes ago, (NSW)Lunavay said:

Gotta agree with this. 

OP, just treat it as a timed mission and work around it. There's more than enough time and it's part of your 'figuring out how to' instead of requesting to remove a helpful mechanic.

Oh, I'm not requesting to remove it, just suggesting it needs a rework, since it obviously worked counter-productive in my case.  I mean: I was constantly jumping / shooting / whatever, frantically trying to figure out what to do without getting pwned, and then suddenly only had one minute left to kill an invulnerable boss I had no clue on how to kill.  Seemed unfair, that's all.

But it also works against stealth / slow players as well.  The first time I did a successful run, the extra enemies spawned in during the 1st round saved me just in time from that timer (I finally had something to kill).

And since AFK ability XP farming is a non-issue nowadays anyway, I wonder what this particular timer's contribution is?

It's not just the LOLyst. It's material farming missions. You find a good spot and commence to ripping the enemy and .... no rewards due to inactivity. What was a good thought as to how to combat moochers turned into a nightmare for everyone else.

It also times out on Ganymede if you arent actively farming the data points. But this one I get  since the mission is the points.

3 hours ago, OGodKing said:

TLDR; Change the game because I'm slow at learning an otherwise straight forward boss battle.

The dark side is strong is this one...  Let's not make this a toxicity pissing game, OK?

But, no, read again: I'm not asking to change the game.  I was just struggling with a nowadays useless anti-AFK mechanic that doesn't serve any purpose anymore and is hindering certain play styles.  Not everyone is playing this game like a pro meta warrior, you know.  Why would anyone want to keep such a thing in the game, I wonder?