Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ever notice how the profanity filter system is inconsistent?

Revenant0713

I made me my first Zaw yesterday. I've avoided the modular items except for the amps since PoE came out, but I finally decided I wanted to build me a spear. So I did. And being the edgy literature fan I am, I wanted a spear from legend. Gae Bolg? No, too common. And too easy to think of Fate: Stay Night. Vel Murugan? Too obscure. No one will get the reference. Aiglos? Well I love LotR but I'm all LotR'd out right now. Tonbogiri? Not feeling Japanese today.

Anyway, after consideration I decided I wanted Gae Assail; the Spear of Lugh.

Surprise! Profanity Filter detects and blocks me.

Well that was annoying. So I decided maybe Gae is the culprit. I tried changing the name to a shortened adaptation. Gaessail. Filter didn't detect it even with Gae in there. So I thought: ASSAIL is profanity? I typed Assail alone. Blocked.

I tried Gae Buide. Again, the filter blocked me.

So I figure I'd stick with Gaessail, since it seemed ok. I'd confirmed that both Gae and Assail are no no words.

And then... I spoke about it to Region Chat. And was immediately greeted with Zaw links that directly reference the male genitalia.

The hell.

Edited by Revenant0713

I had my warframe setting reset awhile back and the filter was on by default and I found out the word "balls" was a banned word... I found it out telling some new player you have to pick up 10 yellow balls to open your relic... most of the items in game are different colored balls and its a profane word to the filter.

I had a loadout slot called "assasination" the loadout slot got blocked too 

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

I had my warframe setting reset awhile back and the filter was on by default and I found out the word "balls" was a banned word... I found it out telling some new player you have to pick up 10 yellow balls to open your relic... most of the items in game are different colored balls and its a profane word to the filter.

I had a loadout slot called "assasination" the loadout slot got blocked too 

Maybe they want you to use the classier word: orbs. XD

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, the-bestia said:

pegi 18 game, you can't write stuff like "screwdriver" but you can daily receive insults and death threat from your teammates.

AI will save us from this.....one day

If future AI is built on this kind of automation they currently have, that's a long ways off. 

• Like 1

8 часов назад, Revenant0713 сказал:

If future AI is built on this kind of automation they currently have, that's a long ways off. 

I hope it is a long ways off.

Somewhere along the road someone in development team will put a “.” in a wrong place and AI will:

- find a wrong-speak in a dogs barking;

- decide that “flesh is weak”;

- view all organic matter as a viable energy source.

9 hours ago, the-bestia said:

pegi 18 game, you can't write stuff like "screwdriver"

Never understood people bringing up the ratings...
Pegi18 means that the game is violent and stuff. The rating has nothing to do with the chat. At all.
DE doesn't want people to behave like A******s in the chat. So things get cencored. And it's really not difficult to not get flaged in chat.
Bad words in "private" chats, like in squad chats, are a different story. DE can't monitor all these chats. So you can always report people for that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Revenant0713 said:

And then... I spoke about it to Region Chat. And was immediately greeted with Zaw links that directly reference the male genitalia.

The profanity filter is based on commonly used gamer insults, not medical terminology.  Get enough people using "penis" as an insult (instead of say, d!ck) and it'll get put on the list as well. 

I was just thinking about this some more today some of warframes own weapons don't pass the profanity filter.  You can't name any of your weapons Tipedo.  One of my zaws is called the leison of Doom someone I knew try to do a similar thing with the Tipedo but nope that doesn't pass the profanity filter.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

I was just thinking about this some more today some of warframes own weapons don't pass the profanity filter.  You can't name any of your weapons Tipedo.  One of my zaws is called the leison of Doom someone I knew try to do a similar thing with the Tipedo but nope that doesn't pass the profanity filter.

It's actually pretty simple. DE knows that they mean no harm when naming these items. If they allowed players to use these names, they would open the door for people that only want to insult others. Best idea is to not let that happen. And be real, the world doesn't end, just because you can't use some names...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

Well, ofc they won't let you name your zaw tiPEDO.

Like how Balla zaws used to be unable to be named BALLa.

Dunno why there is such emphasis on "Rightspeak".

12 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

It's actually pretty simple. DE knows that they mean no harm when naming these items. If they allowed players to use these names, they would open the door for people that only want to insult others. Best idea is to not let that happen. And be real, the world doesn't end, just because you can't use some names...

Considering there are many insults the profanity filter wouldn't catch as long as you are creative with them, DE kind of failed in this area, big time.