The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trouble With Surviving with Excalibur on High-Level Content

SnowWarFr

Question

First off the bat, maxing out Umbral Fiber will give you a significantly higher EHP. If you're still desperate, you could look at other mods such as Armored Agility for a bit more Armor, Gladiator Resolve, Gladiator Aegis, etc. It wouldn't change the world though, at best, these will only buy you a few more seconds. Adaptation is somewhat worth considering in some cases but it wouldn't make enough of a difference against heavy hitters which are more prevalent in 60+ content. Any Arcanes that increases armor would help a lot too. 

Excalibur doesn't really offer much in defense so your best defense is to not get hit in the first place. This means aggressively using Radial Blind, which is one particular disadvantage with Umbra, or constantly staying on the move and out of the line of fire.

One area to perhaps look into, is Operators. The combination of Void mode/Void Dashing with Magus Elevate/Repair/Nourish will help with avoiding a lot of damage as Umbra in autonomous mode will only receive 10% damage while allowing you to offset that damage taken by recovering health after. Transferring back to Umbra often is also important in moving him out of harms way. Hiding in Void mode while leaving Umbra in the middle of a bunch of enemies is a great way to take a lot of damage without realizing it.

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Like 1

Throw Transient Fortitude, Primed Continuity, Streamline and Power Drift out of your build. Replace them with Adaptation, Quick Thinking, Primed Flow and Handspring. Also replace Arcane Strike with Arcane Guardian. Put Life Strike in EB and use it for healing. Max out all your mods and arcanes.

Edited by Ksaero

hmm, i'm getting mixed signals. you have Chromatic Blade Equipped, but you're playing Profit-Taker? are you looking to have Excalibur tank as much as possible, or are you trying to use Exalted Machine Gun for everything?

Excalibur doesn't really offer anything useful for Profit-Taker, since its immune to most Abilities and Exalted Blade doesn't bring very many Damage Types with  Chromatic Blade and even without it the Damage it will deal is something of a world away from your Guns so you might as well use those.

ofcourse overall you'll have to balance Ability/offense Mods with defense/Ability Mods.

also note that for non Ability immune Boss type Enemies, Radial Blind is an excellent tool to reduce how much Damage you take. since it uh, yno, will make any Enemies that got blinded by it basically not attack for the next 10+ seconds.

anyways, if you specifically want to make Excalibur more durable:

• you need a way to Heal relatively quickly. there are many ways, you will have to pick one(some) of them. literally nothing else matters if you don't do this step. Health is useless without a way to maintain it.
  • there are additional Defensive Mods that you could use (more Health/Shields, Adaptation, Quick Thinking, Arcanes, Et Cetera)a. however using Parkour to avoid Damage is one of the best tools that you have overall for Survivability.
  •  

That looks like a damage bulid, not a defensive bulid. Focusing on range, and a bit of duration, and using blind a lot, will help a bit with preventing enemy fire. Getting hold of the adaptation mod from arbitration will also help a lot. Having some more enemy detection can help you avoid being surrounded. 

24 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

None....

My Umbra has better survivability mods and Arcanes than yours but still gets killed quicker than expected in those Same missions...

You need an entirely different Warframe all together...

That's just not true.

5 hours ago, Ksaero said:

That's just not true.

How can something that I know I've tested not be true ? 

Dead Umbras are all over War frame. Like you I assumed thet just weren't moddes properly but after aquiring Adatation Guardian and Grace I know Umbra just isn't a tank....

30 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

How can something that I know I've tested not be true ? 

Dead Umbras are all over War frame. Like you I assumed thet just weren't moddes properly but after aquiring Adatation Guardian and Grace I know Umbra just isn't a tank....

Umbra is a melee frame and is very durable if you build him around EB playstyle. With my build I can facetank up to level 220 in Arbitrations. Lv 40-80 enemies are obviously a joke.

50 minutes ago, Ksaero said:

Umbra is a melee frame and is very durable if you build him around EB playstyle. With my build I can facetank up to level 220 in Arbitrations. Lv 40-80 enemies are obviously a joke.

I know exactly what Frame he is.... but Tanky he most Definitely is not.... Healing with Life Strike doesn't mean you're tanky I can do the exact same thing with Volt a Health Restores.... 

23 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Healing with Life Strike doesn't mean you're tanky

So what? We are talking about how long Excal can survive while you're playing, not staying afk.

28 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

I know exactly what Frame he is....

Doesn't sound convincing since you're having a hard time survivng against lv 40 enemies. And as I see, you've been playing Excalibur for only about 170 hours. I've spent 2 576 hours playing Excalibur exclusively. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Just now, Ksaero said:

So what? We are talking about how long Excal can survive while you're playing, not staying afk.

Where did I say anything about being AFK ? 

1 minute ago, Ksaero said:

Doesn't sound convincing since you're having a hard time survivng against lv 40 enemies. And as I see, you've been playing Excalibur for only about 170 hours. I've spent 2 576 hours playing Excalibur exclusively. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Actually it just sounds like your a Fanboy too blind to accept that your Warframe can't take a beating. 

BTW if I wanted a Warframe just for Survivability I'd just use Inaros....

I mod my Umbra and all my Warframes based on the skill set... if I use 5 Slots just for survivability then whats the point ? Especially if it doesn't even work....

19 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Where did I say anything about being AFK ?

It's the only reason I can think of for not utilizing Life Strike.

Actually it just sounds like your a Fanboy too blind to accept that your Warframe can't take a beating. 

That's some weird logic. How do I clear all the game's content with Excalibur then?

BTW if I wanted a Warframe just for Survivability I'd just use Inaros....

Ok, use Inaros, but what does it have to do with the topic? OP asks about making Umbra viable, not about which warframe he should use instead.

I mod my Umbra and all my Warframes based on the skill set...

And you've never thought you might be doing it wrong.

if I use 5 Slots just for survivability then whats the point ? Especially if it doesn't even work....

The thing with Excal is that his skillset (aside from Radial Javelin but it's better to just ignore this ability) works fine without ability altering warframe mods (Chromatic Blade is definitely worth using in most cases though). Exalted Blade is modded separately. Slash Dash uses melee mods. Radial Howl/Blind has good default range and duration, as well as melee damage buff. If you mod EB right, your damage will still exceed your survivability.

Edited by Ksaero
  • Like 1

Healing return is also an option if you don’t want to channel or using a furis with its augment

and swapping chromatic blade for survivability mods may help (and also increase your dps)

Edited by Srovy

2 hours ago, Ksaero said:

It's the only reason I can think of for not utilizing Life Strike.

And it never occured to you I modded it for dealing damage instead ? 

3 hours ago, Ksaero said:

That's some weird logic. How do I clear all the game's content with Excalibur then?

By being a try hard.... obviously.... as I said. You can do it with Volt and Mag too.... its not impossible. Its merely impractical....

Ok, use Inaros, but what does it have to do with the topic? OP asks about making Umbra viable, not about which warframe he should use instead.

You don't.... he isn't viable anymore than Mag and Volt are.... ergo why I suggested another frame.... I wouldn't recommend Inaros Either simply because Personslly Survivability isn't exactly contributing to the mission objective. 

And you've never thought you might be doing it wrong.

No.... it never occured to modding a Melee frame to be good at meleeing stuff was doing it wrong.... mabe I should I mod it for Flying Instead.... how silly of me....

The thing with Excal is that his skillset (aside from Radial Javelin but it's better to just ignore this ability) works fine without ability altering warframe mods (Chromatic Blade is definitely worth using in most cases though). Exalted Blade is modded separately. Slash Dash uses melee mods. Radial Howl/Blind has good default range and duration, as well as melee damage buff. If you mod EB right, your damage will still exceed your survivability.

Thats exactly how I modded my Umbra.... and it would work if his personally survivability was alot better. Fact is it isn't. Rhino on the other hand is... but even Nezha is more Durable and Effective at more objectives than Umbra is.... WITHOUT the need for expensive arcanes and A Super Rare Mod.... well... mostly because Halo is essentially built in Adaptation....

Umbra is great.... but he's unnaturally squishy.... definitely way too Squishy for Profit taker even in a group and Arbitrations where he's just going to be outclassed by other Frames anyway in terms of effectiveness. None of the Arbitration mission types are designed around his skill set.... he can't Baby Sit as effectively or Kill as effectively as other frames can even if you fix his Survivability issue.... its just not his jam....

Yes Excalibur is terrible at surviving enemies beyond Lv 1.

I am so glad I know how to use the console to enter the codes Rebecca uses while Devstreams.

Otherwise it would be impossible to complete the whole Star Chart with an unreactored Excal equipped with only the mods I found and barely any Endo to upgrade mods

/s

6 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Yes Excalibur is terrible at surviving enemies beyond Lv 1.

I am so glad I know how to use the console to enter the codes Rebecca uses while Devstreams.

Otherwise it would be impossible to complete the whole Star Chart with an unreactored Excal equipped with only the mods I found and barely any Endo to upgrade mods

/s

Yes.... because one outlier is proof that Umbra is a Tank.... 

Sorry buddy.... its well known that excalibur just isn't tanky.... you clearing the star chart or going 20 Hourz In Arbitrations doesn't change that.... because thats just you....

35 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Yes.... because one outlier is proof that Umbra is a Tank.... 

Sorry buddy.... its well known that excalibur just isn't tanky.... you clearing the star chart or going 20 Hourz In Arbitrations doesn't change that.... because thats just you....

Not innately tanky, no. There are better frames for face tanking. I don't think people are suggesting that. Mobility will be important regardless of how excal is modded.

But I think lifestrike + Hunter adrenaline is still a good combo. Having a way to regenerate both health and energy is very useful. He is certainly viable for star chart and sortie level enemies. Raw survivability is overrated.

That being said, I don't think excal is the best frame for Arbitrations since he depends a lot on his exalted blade for DPS, which I believe can't hurt enemies under the protection of those drones.

Edited by CephalonDizzy

You'll find it more effective to build Excal Defensively than Offensively.

You don't need to bother with more than Umbra Intensify for Power Strength. This will bring you to 83% Status which you can then easily compensate for with a 60/60 mod on the weapon or Drifting Contact. This isn't actually much if any DPS loss from a typical 90%x3 build against Armor since it will improve your Corrosive proc weight.

There are two paths to make Excal more durable eHP or Blind. You can attempt to mix both but it worked better when Chromatic Blade wasn't on the table. eHP would simply be using Adaptation and Guardian x2 then depending how comfortable you are with your energy swap Streamline / Hunter's for Glad Resolve / Primed Vigor. Blind would be swapping Streamline for Fleeting then adding Stretch and Primed Flow.

I tend to lean towards eHP due to Nullifiers and Blind being subject to line of sight but for either setup Blind is essential to staying alive.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Umbra is great.... but he's unnaturally squishy.... definitely way too Squishy for Profit taker even in a group and Arbitrations where he's just going to be outclassed by other Frames anyway in terms of effectiveness.

You know what? Actions speak louder than words. Here, soloed Profit-taker with Umbra. Recorded specially for you. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Had the same problem a time ago and really want to make Umbra my main. 

Adaptation + Rage/Hunters Adrenaline (mana-mana) + 1 lvl life strike in exalted sword. Done. Ur imbalance cosmo ninja with infinite mana and hp. Enjoy 🙂

4 hours ago, Lutesque said:

None of the Arbitration mission types are designed around his skill set.... he can't Baby Sit as effectively or Kill as effectively as other frames can even if you fix his Survivability issue.... its just not his jam....

What do you think his jam is, then?