Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kuva lich stealing loot is a brilliant game design decision. Here’s why.

(PSN)FK2P

2 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

How do you feel about our new criminal friends?

Personally as long as they steal in-progress loot and don't go crawling through the orbiter stealing complete items or blueprints I think it is irritating but harmless, like a fly buzzing around a person's head.

Just now, Aldain said:

Personally as long as they steal in-progress loot and don't go crawling through the orbiter stealing complete items or blueprints I think it is irritating but harmless, like a fly buzzing around a person's head.

In the dev stream they said it’s only affecting nodes it has its influence under so it only takes loot from the mission your in. IF. They have influence over that node. I don’t get why people are upset about this. Just go kill em 

Just now, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

In the dev stream they said it’s only affecting nodes it has its influence under so it only takes loot from the mission your in. IF. They have influence over that node. I don’t get why people are upset about this. Just go kill em 

It is likely because DE didn't communicate it as clear as possible (i.e. so clearly that a 1st grader could get it), not to mention people who get the wrong idea and repeat slightly wrong information snowballs into this huge pile of SUPER wrong information.

Most of the debacle is people not knowing the full details and assuming the worst, which is human nature sadly.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, (PS4)FK2P said:

This is good enemy design

It's not.

The enemy doesn't even steal your loot. It's a random mechanic that takes random stuff from your rewards away as soon as you complete the mission.

Spend hours farming a rare mod, have it taken from you right away even though the mission was a success. The lich doesn't even show up once, though.

How in the name of everything that is holy is this good design? It's BS on a whole new level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

gotta love how both this thread and the "stealing loot will be bad no matter what" thread exist on the same page at the same time.

Just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

I personally like the idea, letting the Lich take a bunch a loot that you usually don't care about, so you can break the piggy bank later and get a big payout.

The only problem I might see is that, at the point which Kuva Lich is added... I no longer have to worry about most of the usual loot. Except Mutagen Samples. I am so going after the Lich if he has a stockpile of Mutagen Samples.

Edited by Xepthrichros

20 hours ago, (PS4)FK2P said:

The more hated and feared an enemy is, the better it’s design.

I get where you're coming from with this, but it's just not true. The job of a developer is not to defeat the player. Even games that are supposed to be bitterly difficult and unforgiving are still designed from the ground up to be beatable. If they aren't beatable, then it isn't worth playing the game. 

Like even Dark Souls has a really strong example against your point: Bed of Chaos. That thing is almost universally despised by Dark Souls players. It makes people hesitate to start repeat playthroughs. And it is also one of the most poorly designed bosses in the series, if not the most poorly designed boss in the series. In fact, it is its terrible design that causes it to be so hated and feared. 

The fun of Dark Souls games doesn't come from pain and frustration. It comes from the trial and error, from slowly learning the mechanics of the boss and improving your skills until eventually you overcome it. If FromSoft's bosses weren't, at their core, fun to fight, then nobody would play their games. Saying that enemies need to be contemptible to be good is just missing the point of why Dark Souls is such a good series. 

• Like 1

First of all, this being in tears and screaming about something no-one has even tried yet is somewhat ridiculous. As always.

And secondly, if you are afraid that the Kuva lich will take half your rubedo, just do missions somewhere else. From the little info DE has shown, it's not like the lich is all over the map (rather the opposite). And it moves around, so you can get whatever it is you want a bit later, just wait until it has moved on.

As for being a good or bad "game mechanic", that is something that will be decided over time. And, luckily, not on the forum either. My guess is that this will be good, simply from the viewpoint that there now will be something active on the starchart that hasn't been there before. The Kuva lich is both something to avoid and something to hunt. It adds to game, regardless of how you feel about it.

And it is not THAT different from Acolytes, now is it. And if you are afraid the Kuva lich will be too "hard", just remember the Wolf. We finally got an enemy without gimmicks that we couldn't kill in two swipes, and this generated immense crying and hair-pulling on the forum, with the end result of DE giving in and completely emasculating the Wolf, turning him from a threat into a nuisance. What a shame. Just hope he stays away until he grows some hair on his chest again, turning him from a fabled enemy and a lurking threat into just another loot drop was a mistake (and I hold all the teary complainers responsible).

Edited by Graavarg

OP post didn't convinced me and all the naysayers to the mechanic are also a bunch of fear-mongers. Just let the mechanic deploy and we go from there. I think new mechanics is to be celebrated, the DE team is thinking in new creative ways, doesn't mind me if the mechanic will be a hit or a miss. i rather see it in action first hand and then call for feedback to iterate or scrap it all together.

6 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

It's not.

The enemy doesn't even steal your loot. It's a random mechanic that takes random stuff from your rewards away as soon as you complete the mission.

Spend hours farming a rare mod, have it taken from you right away even though the mission was a success. The lich doesn't even show up once, though.

How in the name of everything that is holy is this good design? It's BS on a whole new level.

Yea bro, lets willingly go farm for hours for a rare low drop chance mod on a tile thats currently inhabited by the Kuva Lich KNOWING that there's a chance he will steal the mod. 200 IQ play right there. 

Pretty simple solution to your problem, either kill the Kuva Lich or just, you know, don't spend 3 hours farming on a tile that is inhabited by the Lich. 

12 minutes ago, -CdG-Piggles- said:

Yea bro, lets willingly go farm for hours for a rare low drop chance mod on a tile thats currently inhabited by the Kuva Lich KNOWING that there's a chance he will steal the mod. 200 IQ play right there. 

Pretty simple solution to your problem, either kill the Kuva Lich or just, you know, don't spend 3 hours farming on a tile that is inhabited by the Lich. 

To my knowledge he’s not even going to take rare mods 

Seriously they are just a toughened up Scavenger drone.
Liches don't even steal rare mods for crying out loud, just kill them.

FYI Scavenger drones fully confiscate stuff, even killing them will not get them back, these Liches however, if you kill them, they drop em.
And Scavenger drones STEAL anything (including mods drop from Acolytes), yet I don't see people screeching so much back then.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Scavenger_Drone

Edited by fatpig84