Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack dimensions make no sense

Or4ngeClaw

10 hours ago, HowDenKing said:

tbf, that was last year - the same technique that's used to display the outside from inside should be possible to be used for the reverse, 
just with the "display" moving w/ the ship.

Sorry I should have said this was still quoting Steve, it was part of the same conversation. They were not actively pursuing this area of development for initial release, but as you said the principle is the same for viewing inside so it would be something that would be added in a future update.

15 hours ago, Or4ngeClaw said:

So i was very excited when i saw that the new railjacks were finally buildable ingame, when the update launched i started getting the resources and build the railjack and was very happy with the results, the design of the outside and inside are amazing and look incredible. However i have one very big issue with the railjacks that i havent seen anybody talk about, and that is the dimensions of the inside of the ship and the way it look outside. 

A good example for this is how when you look out from the side turrets inside the ship they seem to be located above the nacelle however if you check above the nacelle from the outside of the ship there is not nearly enough room for the turrets to be there or any room because the tube atop the ship kinda leave no room for anything to be inside it. 

now i dont know if this is because the ship in the dry dock is a scaled down model of the actual ship or just because the devs didnt think anybody would pay attention to it.

i would really like some help understanding this problem because it annoys me very much,

Think of it like the Tardis from Doctor Who. The housing contains the dimensional space that is the large interior. Same reason the liset's interior is larger than it's exterior. 

6 минут назад, Kaotyke сказал:

We do: everything in the Navigation area is the Liset.

Down the ramp is the Orbiter.

Nope. There is no place for ceiling window in Orbiter model from  Codex

lYetv9K.png

Edited by denis-ldv
picture added

32 minutes ago, denis-ldv said:

Nope. There is no place for ceiling window in Orbiter model from  Codex

lYetv9K.png

You do know that's concept art right? Final ingame would look different. That image doesn't account for the Helmenth room and Operater quarters.

I just matched up the window from navigation, that is conveniently shaped like the lotus pattern, to the same lotus pattern on the nose of the Liset. Seemed obvious. The ramp seperates the lander from the orbiter. 

• Like 5

Только что, (XB1)Rust Plague сказал:

You do know that's concept art right? Final ingame would look different. That image doesn't account for the Helmenth room and Operater quarters.

I just matched up the window from navigation, that is conveniently shaped like the lotus pattern, to the same lotus pattern on the nose of the Liset. Seemed obvious. The ramp seperates the lander from the orbiter. 

This picture is from game codex. 

Your words prove nothing )

Here is how it works:
In almost every game it is hard as hell to move characters with moving objects they stand on, without producing tons of bugs. The solution DE came up with, is to put railjack interior in completely different area of the map, isolated from the rest, while windows are portals to the actual rail jack (similarly to the Portal game, but you can't go through them). You can notice, that you can't see the bridge from turret windows, and other parts if you will push your camera to the window. Another interesting part is, that your warframe is actually a smaller scale. Try sprinting along the roof and look how fast you move compared to doors on your left. Now go inside, to the left turret, and compare to how fast you sprint by looking at the same doors. I wonder if you can actually see other warframes being bigger when they will walk on the nose, while you are on the bridge...

Or by in game lore:
Orokin non-euclidean inner volume expansion tech.

19 minutes ago, Furebel said:

windows are portals

Not exactly. Windows are just windows (semi-transparent textures). But the whole Railjack interior model is put inside a skybox with a texture captured from the point of view of Railjack exterior model. It'ls like a Drive-in theater: you're sitting in a car and through a glass seeing a screen with images projected onto it.

Making one large "screen" is easier than making many small ones for windows.

Edited by Tesla_Reloaded

55 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

The codex is full of early concept art. My words are the truth. I don't care if you don't believe me. The evidence would be the images and thier time stamps. That's proof enough.

I demand a proof from DE themselves. Not some random guy on the internet.

59 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

I demand a proof from DE themselves. Not some random guy on the internet.

How about the concept artist themselves?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xz2l1O

" Warframe Tenno Carrier Ship
This was originally made wayyyyyy back when there was only the Liset. You would dock with this and have upgrades for engines and cargo.
Was never used this way as more variants of personal ships were made.
The pieces of this were used in a non traditional way...as parts of the exterior sections in the concourse relay. "

3 hours ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

Not exactly. Windows are just windows (semi-transparent textures). But the whole Railjack interior model is put inside a skybox with a texture captured from the point of view of Railjack exterior model. It'ls like a Drive-in theater: you're sitting in a car and through a glass seeing a screen with images projected onto it.

Making one large "screen" is easier than making many small ones for windows.

Steven Sinclair explained on his twitter how it works. He used the word "skybox" but he was refering to the actual skybox of the space combat instance. Windows are literal portals.

22 minutes ago, Furebel said:

Steven Sinclair explained on his twitter how it works. He used the word "skybox" but he was refering to the actual skybox of the space combat instance. Windows are literal portals.

There was a bug that allowed to move outside from Railjack trough the roof. It was fixed in 26.1.3. People who used it (including me) were able to see the surrounding even while standing outside of Railjack interior model and not looking into windows. So no, Railjack windows aren't portals. It was just a metaphor. If you find another way to glitch outside Railjack interior model you'll see it yourself.

49 minutes ago, Toppien said:

one thing I've been thinking, maybe railack's windows are just screens that show up the perspective of external cameras

That was kinda what I was thinking, but now that Tesla explained that it was really like a skybox, I have no idea. Because when you are inside, you do see objects outside move in perspective as you run around, so that can't be skybox, it has to be a portal.

51 minutes ago, Toppien said:

kinda like what titanfall 1/2 does with the titans that have different shapes but you always see the same cockpit

Actually no, Titanfall used the exact same method of controling titan, as you would control pilot. You were just looking from the eyes (or eye...) of titan, with just cockpit layer strapped on your face, and glitch filter when you get too much hits.

On 2019-11-30 at 6:58 PM, Or4ngeClaw said:

your confusing the orbiter with the landing craft, the names are a bit weird ingame but he liset you seen when entering and leaving missions is call the landing craft but the ship were our foundry and arsenal are in is called the landing craft

Hmm? Both are landing craft? Then there is no difference xD

9 hours ago, Chaemyerelis said:

2. Not seeing other dojo rooms from windows

You can't even see the dry dock from one corridor before the room. All you can see in the glass is empty space and when you cross the door, boom, magic, everythig is there.

Edited by DarkSkysz

4 hours ago, Furebel said:

That was kinda what I was thinking, but now that Tesla explained that it was really like a skybox, I have no idea. Because when you are inside, you do see objects outside move in perspective as you run around, so that can't be skybox, it has to be a portal.

What a portal is (at least in Portal game)? It's a 3d model (usually flat) covered by a texture generated by an invisible camera. That's all. Same is going with Railjack skybox, but its model isn't flat and covered by textures on all sides.

Besides, Railjack windows are way too curvy. It'll be hard to put a texture on them without those curves distorting the picture. On the other hand you can make skybox any shape you want: cubical, eleptical, spherical, etc. And it'll be easy to adjust the texture distortion for the chosen shape.

3 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Meanwhile my only question is where the frick the sensors are on that thing because I'd like to know how on earth this cockpit window works.

Crystal clear from the inside, non-existent from the outside.

Hologram..... Or hard light construction.

Edited by (XB1)Rust Plague