The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino the Tonkor / Catchmoon of tanks

(XBOX)XGN DrFeelGood

While we have Arcane Tanker we really need to know. Old fashion Rhino back in 2015 was great stuff. N00bleshowtek showed us how to get high amounts of armor with Rhino. After self damage it ‘tanked’ (pun intended.) The other mechanics that were fixed real shrunk this character into a place that the Tonkor saw.

Endgame players who got gud learned their lesson. It’s time to buff rhino back up.

20 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

I can still reach over 200k ehp on his iron skin as is right now, which is more than enough for upwards of level 200-300 content. Rhino doesnt really need any changes when it comes to pure ehp.

If you have 200-300 plat to buy the bandaid I’m not saying otherwise. The current rhino before the arcane wasn’t end game. Maybe sortie viable; but that was it.

1 minute ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

If you have 200-300 plat to buy the bandaid I’m not saying otherwise. The current rhino before the arcane wasn’t end game. Maybe sortie viable; but that was it.

What? Rhino has always been endgame viable, you just had to farm certain things and even then it wasnt a necessity but a nice thing to have. Two arcane ultimatums where more then enough to reach 180k ehp, or rolling guard + arcane guardian. Rhino by no means needs any ehp changes. Most of the time when playing him I just cast iron skin and thats it, I dont even build up since for 99% of the content its more then enough.

Unlike other frames he requires active management of his ehp, which rewards you by making you both status and CC immune, while also granting you upwards of 200k ehp, something that most frames cant reach without the help outside of DR sources. If anything he needs an invulnerability second at the end of his iron skin like nezha or the ability to innately recast his iron skins. But by no means more ehp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlachWolf said:

What? Rhino has always been endgame viable, you just had to farm certain things and even then it wasnt a necessity but a nice thing to have. Two arcane ultimatums where more then enough to reach 180k ehp, or rolling guard + arcane guardian. Rhino by no means needs any ehp changes. Most of the time when playing him I just cast iron skin and thats it, I dont even build up since for 99% of the content its more then enough.

Unlike other frames he requires active management of his ehp, which rewards you by making you both status and CC immune, while also granting you upwards of 200k ehp, something that most frames cant reach without the help outside of DR sources. If anything he needs an invulnerability second at the end of his iron skin like nezha or the ability to innately recast his iron skins. But by no means more ehp.

Some frames fall behind in the growing list of end game areas as new game modes get added.

I'm currently playing with a Guardian/Mecha/Ironclad setup. It's far from perfect, I usually get around 50-70k skin per cast. More than enough to keep me alive during 100s and I'm not doing endurance runs so I couldn't care less about having 500k skin and 200% roar. Not digging the tanker since it requires you to use the gear wheel and archguns. I dont see him requiring a buff, maybe some minor tweaks or QoL stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

Some frames fall behind in the growing list of end game areas as new game modes get added.

Which rhino isnt one of my dude. I get it that you want a rework to spice him up, thats good and all. But lying is by no means the right way to get there. Rhino has CC, damage and high ehp, everything that the game currently wants for endgame. Rhino has more then enough power within his kit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lone_Dude said:

I'm currently playing with a Guardian/Mecha/Ironclad setup. It's far from perfect, I usually get around 50-70k skin per cast. More than enough to keep me alive during 100s and I'm not doing endurance runs so I couldn't care less about having 500k skin and 200% roar. Not digging the tanker since it requires you to use the gear wheel and archguns. I dont see him requiring a buff, maybe some minor tweaks or QoL stuff.

This, rhino has a lot of power is played right, especially now with armor being so easily to obtain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlachWolf said:

This, rhino has a lot of power is played right, especially now with armor being so easily to obtain.

Yeah, at first I disliked new Rhino since the last time I used him seriously was before augments or mecha set were even a thing, but after realizing how to build up armor, he became one of my go-to frames.

The fact that I can make use of a Mecha set(even considering how buggy and AI reliant it is) speaks volumes to me about how interesting Rhino can be to a new player and how well he works if you want him to work. Add stomp cc and a huge damage buff from roar and it's obvious Rhino is far from a trash tier weakling or a dumb meat slab with a useless kit. 

1 hour ago, Lone_Dude said:

Yeah, at first I disliked new Rhino since the last time I used him seriously was before augments or mecha set were even a thing, but after realizing how to build up armor, he became one of my go-to frames.

The fact that I can make use of a Mecha set(even considering how buggy and AI reliant it is) speaks volumes to me about how interesting Rhino can be to a new player and how well he works if you want him to work. Add stomp cc and a huge damage buff from roar and it's obvious Rhino is far from a trash tier weakling or a dumb meat slab with a useless kit. 

One of the stealth nerfs we missed with his diminishing armor is the proc nerf. He used to be invulnerable to slow and ice. The current Bandaids are good; but it keeps them from being on center.

47 minutes ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

One of the stealth nerfs we missed with his diminishing armor is the proc nerf. He used to be invulnerable to slow and ice. The current Bandaids are good; but it keeps them from being on center.

Can you consider something a "bandaid" if it makes an already good frame slightly better while also giving it more options outside of the kit? I'm talking about arcanes and mecha set ofc. Rhino is not as dependant on those as Hildryn for example.

But I gotta agree that some augments really do feel like they should be a part of the kit from the start. When it comes to Rhino it's 2 of his augments, Iron Shrapnel and Piercing Roar - I don't even bother with them when it comes to my main build, but their effects are so miniscule and feel more like QoL features than GAMECHANGING NANOAUGMENTS. Reinforcing Stomp feels out of place(why bother keeping the skin if you can just use Shrapnel and recast?) and undertweaked(amount it restores is laughable especially for the energy consumption required).

Also, I never noticed cold procs bypassing Iron Skin, maybe its a bug and not a nerf? And if you're talking about status immunity outside of IS - hell, it's not stated to be a part of his passive, right?

With that said, I do have a few things I dislike about current Rhino aside from his augments. As well as some some ideas on how to improve him. Nothing insane though. But I don't think that anything is going to change, seeing how many other frames require a rework over the well functioning Rhino.

Edited by Lone_Dude

5 hours ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

N00bleshowtek showed us how to get high.

Or how to get banned when you hungry for viewers...  👍

Also rhino is perfectly fine, as somebody mentioned Iron shrapnel should be part of his kit and not augment, but w/e i can live with that.

Rhino doesn't need an Arcane to hit 200k Iron Skin.

All he needs is a mod like any other frame does. Two technically. IronClad Charge and Health Conversion. Due to the way damage is calculated against Armor his eHP is even more durable than the numbers lead on since Puncture / Toxic don't double dip it.

The downside is that Blocking in melee still does nothing for him which to this day 7 years later annoys me.

Rhino is near perfection. Simple and strong just like anything named Rhino should be. His Iron Skin makes him the 2nd most tanky frame in the game. At least Solo. His Damage buff is universally enjoyed regardless of weapon builds or frames unlike Chroma and his Stomp remains quality CC. Don't fix what's not broken.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

No one missed it, because "cannot be proc'd ever" Inaros is also proc'd by the same things.

4 часа назад, (PS4)CommanderC2121 сказал:
Rhino is one of the few older frames that not only holds up in current content, but even excels. He is far from needing a rework, except for maybe a QoL buff, being invincible for a second after iron skin ends. Thats it

This is how Nezha acts, but Nezha is not invulnerable anymore. It is better that Rhino can recast the ability at any time and that it can recover like shields.

3 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

The problem with rhino's kit is not that it is bad, as many people are pointing out. The point to changing him is to keep him  fresh, many older frames were built for a slower paced game, the game has changed immensely since those days- The point is not because he is bad or anything, its cause he is outdated.

And exactly how would you change him to “update” him without partially or fully destroying his identity? 

Since it's a Rhino thread, I have a question regarding his Iron Skin. I noticed that from time to time I get different ammounts of it, even if I have same armor buffs up. I went to the Simulacrum to test it out - I got 17,7k Iron Skin multiple times, yet one time I got 19,4k while having the same buffs up(arcane guardian, mecha pulse, ironclad charge). Anyone else ever noticed that?