Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hosting system in Warframe

Power_Is_Everything

Will you add a hosting system for warframe, where players can choose to "Host" or "Join" a game? I heard another player tell me that it work this way for "Railjack", where you either get in your own ship or join another, but can this work for "Star chart"? I have learned that your game works beautifully when I am the host, and I would much prefer to have the option to be the host or join someone else. I cannot say it would improve the game-play for everyone but for someone like me, when I have better internet than most people it does well for me to be host.\ when the ping setting in the options menu does not always stick to the ping range you set it in. Sometime I join a game where the ping is over 100 when I had set the ping to under 100, that result in a lot of the problem I have seen in the game because the game takes longer to send me information back due to my low ping to the host player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Power_Is_Everything said:

Question: Why does the game pair me with another player who has a ping higher than the settings I put for the game? Meaning I put the ping cap at 100, then the game will pair me with some who has a ping of 130 or greater.

Probably cause their ping was within tolerances when it was searching for a squad, and then the actual gameplay strained their network, raising the ping. 

• Like 2

I would like this as well. 

The current peer to peer structure makes any kind of hosting unreliable. 

My connection is acceptable most times to host, but even my ISP has bad days where I would prefer not to have others suffer and like to be a client. 

The ping limit check is also very very basic. It's not 100% reliable as ping under load may change over time. (usually the host is having another application running in the background when this happens) 

Would also be cool for DE to implement some kind of Host based reputation system.

This could be done by measuring the in-mission host quality, including bandwith, latency and processing power of the host.

Overtime, something like this could work to prioritize hosts based on past behavior, instead of the current one-off.

In game ability for us to choose to host or not, could in theory be a little problematic .. I mean, imagine if 90% of the players decide to host because they have good networks/PCs and are well aware that being Host substantially improves your gameplay. You would never fill squads on a scenario like that.

JuSt GeT BeTtEr InTeRnEt, ScRuBz!

jokes aside, this is why we need a "never host" option, so that at the very least people out in rural areas or with garbage internet that are aware of their bad connection can eliminate the possibility of them hosting. sadly there's nothing can be done if a regular person's decent urban Internet craps the bed, but things happen, that's just life. it won't solve the problem, but it remedies most issues.

The main issue I see is that such a system could result in players either getting left playing solo or nothing actually changes.

Imagine 20 people queuing up for the same node in your region but only two of them are set to "host only". If the system waits until you meet your desired setting then 12 people set as "client only" get left waiting for a new host to queue up or it might just force them into solo so they're not "hosting" anyone but themselves. And if the system doesn't wait then three of those remaining twelve people would get stuck as hosts anyways.

It'd possibly help somewhat but there is the other problem that the average players of each node are often quite low and most people queuing up are on a handful of farming and meta nodes. And honestly if it would mostly apply to the popular nodes anyways then recruiting might just be the better option.

Edited by trst

I don't think it can happen for regular missions since it would severely limit the possibilities for matchmaking (as was pointed above).

It's a bit different for Empyrean because at least someone has to have a Railjack to start a mission, so in this mode this option makes sense.

Edited by Mr.Fluffins

3 hours ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

I don't think it can happen for regular missions since it would severely limit the possibilities for matchmaking (as was pointed above).

It's a bit different for Empyrean because at least someone has to have a Railjack to start a mission, so in this mode this option makes sense.

You simply invite to your orbiter, which would change the host to the orbiter owner.

4 hours ago, trst said:

The main issue I see is that such a system could result in players either getting left playing solo or nothing actually changes.

Imagine 20 people queuing up for the same node in your region but only two of them are set to "host only". If the system waits until you meet your desired setting then 12 people set as "client only" get left waiting for a new host to queue up or it might just force them into solo so they're not "hosting" anyone but themselves. And if the system doesn't wait then three of those remaining twelve people would get stuck as hosts anyways.

It'd possibly help somewhat but there is the other problem that the average players of each node are often quite low and most people queuing up are on a handful of farming and meta nodes. And honestly if it would mostly apply to the popular nodes anyways then recruiting might just be the better option.

Pretty sure there will be 90% people "Host only" for 2% people "Client only" (and the remaining 8% would be people who either don't care or are unaware of this option).

Leading to solo missions everywhere, breaking the matchmaking entirely.

As when you host, even with a crap connection, everything will be instant. No delay, not even 20ms. So some guy with a 56kb/s connection from the Moon will have a better game experience hosting (ruining his mate's experience at the same time) rather than guesting.

I'm sure that's the reason why the Matchmaking works like that today. The exception for Railjack is weird, I hate when I want to do a mission on a specific node, go to the Starchart, no Squad available, go to your dojo, nyanyanyanya.