Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Revised: >100% Status Chance / Shotgun Megathread

SilverBones

Still unsatisfied with:

Blast

Impact

Gas

Radiation

Blast: accuracy loss is not really useful, as you are ragdolling anyway. Should instead open up weakspots, or a weaker version of a weakspot - smaller one, or less than +100% damage.

Gas: Gas would make sense to have the accuracy loss moreso than Blast. Also open up the enemy to finishers, and stagger them after every time they do a melee attack. Gas would make more gas procs give more damage as well. 

Impact: replace its double-status effect with knock down enemy's weapon. For melee enemies, reduces melee damage for 6 seconds.

Radiation: enemies still tickle other enemies. Should make enemies affected more susceptible to more status or damage from, and buff enemy to enemy damage. 

On 2020-03-06 at 7:18 AM, TRPBWhite said:

As i wrote in the post, i used the Tigris Prime for the numbers, and i used base unmodded status chances. TP had around 4.36% per pellet unmodded. Triple that and it is around 13%, not 11.3%.

If we take the chance of each pellet not causing a proc and ^3, it comes at 12.5%.

It doesn't help me if you don't provide numbers, since again i'm not that good at stats. What "unmodded base status chance" would have they used for the Tigris Prime? 3.75%? 30/8 is not the status chance per pellet. Edit: from what i understand about the previous numbers, at least. I could be wrong. But i would like an explanation on "why".

Must have missed my notification when you quoted me somehow, sorry. = [ Yes, you're absolutely correct, and I was wrong. The Tigris Prime had a listed status chance of 30% over 8 pellets. If they used the approximation they mentioned in the devstream just dividing the status by the pellet chance, they'd come to 3.75%, which would result in a status chance of 11.25% per projectile, which is what they used.

At very low numbers, this approximation works - 10% over 10 pellets is about 1% per pellet, 20% over 10 is about 2% per pellet. But it diverges more the higher you get. To get the true status chance per pellet of shotguns before the change, as you know but I'm repeating this anyway, you have to take (1 - status chance) to the root of the number of pellets, then subtract that from 1. So like you said, we're calculating the chance that no pellet causes a proc. And that, as you're saying, is the eighth root of .7 and comes to 4.36%, so if they'd used the true status chance, instead of the approximation, it would have a 13% chance, not 11.3%. And that's a big deal, that'd be a 15% relative boost.

So true to their word in the devstream, they did use the approximation, not the true calculation. 

And because they used this weird approximation, shotguns with higher status chance got slightly shafted relative to shotguns with very low status chance. I honestly think that individual guns like the Tigris Prime honestly really need a looking at in balance terms, because the final status number they landed on is really low. Like, even 13% would have been low for what that gun is and is meant to do; in an ordinary, non-meta build with a couple of dual stats on, it's a buff compared to the per-pellet chance it had previously, but not enough now that the whole space of possible status chance values is open to them.

Edited by CopperBezel

I'd like to report that Sweeper and Sweeper Prime didn't get the 3x multiplier in status chance. I think you forgot these weapons because those are sentinel ones.

As for any other shotgun the new status chance per pellet should be = ( oldStatusChance / baseMultishot ) * 3 = ( 15% / 6 ) * 3 = 7.5% Though it currently is 2.5%

(btw, I am making use of this thread to ask if Silent Battery is really bugged on these weapons, as it is said to be bugged on the wikia).

Garuda feels significantly weaker now, I don't know if this is a byproduct of the 100%+ status changes.

Her Seeking Talons is consistenly doing 75 Slash (on full health, 151 on 2 health) per tick on any enemy, regardless of how many slash procs there are. Duration feels alot shorter too.

And the damage of her Slash ticks no longer get boosted by outside damage sources like it was originally intended to be. Neither weapons or her Dread Mirror bomb can boost her Seeking Talons bleed damage after the Revised update.

If this is an intended change, please review and buff Garuda to bring her in line with the rest of DPS frames. She was already falling behind compared to most AoE dps such as Saryn, Equinox, and Ember, and the new Status changes are making her much worse. 

• Like 1

Well, the status chance changes are weird. The "red status" are nice, however the changes to status itself are not ok. You are calling that a buff, while actually its just a change, since some statuses got buffed, some got nerfed.

Slash: well,ok. 

Impact: knockdown that can now happen with any physical damage gun was a terrible idea. Knockdown prevents headshots, make you miss, hides enemies behind the cover.

Puncture: the whole idea is bad. Lowering enemy damage, when you are shooting at them... We have impact for stagger, that is 100% damage reduction. Also, enemies usually die under fire and thats 100% damage reduction permanently. No point in 75% damage reduction.

Cold: still bad idea as itself, same as puncture. However, its used in a lot of abilities  as a method of control, so I guess it should stay.

Heat: suffers from no stacking. Its a good status for single shot guns.

Toxin: nice one.

Electric: still fine.

Blast: same as puncture. Also, bad damage type as itself.

Corrosive: heavy nerf, but its a bit justified by armor changes.

Radiation: due to damage/health scaling of enemies and the fact that you are actively shooting a radiated enemy, any damage buffs are useless. However, some abilities and mechanics are using it as base, so it will stay.

Magnetic: viral for shields, perfect.  Although, the whole idea of choosing damage mods against particular enemy type is not working (unless its high level bosses/Eidolons/Orbs), DPS is enough to overshadow the benefits of spending more time in equipment terminal.

Viral: new kind, heavy buff.

Gas: totally useless. Only works around live enemy, damage mods are bad. It was the 2nd AoE damage mods for non-AoE guns. Now its hard to build things like Lanka or Mitter for AoE since you only have electricity for damage. Should be reverted. 

Generally, We only have Viral for some proper damage buff and Electric for AoE. All the other procs are not worth building for. 

As well, DoT Procs deal too low DPS in current meta, I believe they should be intensified, dealing the same overall damage in 3 seconds.

Currenly, outside the viral high-RoF guns and some special cases, I would prefer crit over status all the time.The effects are usually to weak and are not worth the trouble.

• Like 1

So, overall, trying to balance status with critical damage so, that both are viable is a good move and should be done.  Some of these changes don't make sense or don't help improve the gameplay for status users.  Briefly I want to touch upon enemy shields and shield gating as well as armor and health because this directly applies to damage and status.  Each of the three different types of health bars, flesh, armor, shield, should interact with each status differently.  This allows you to have unique builds for different factions which is already in the game, but there is a way to make it more in depth.  We'll start with each status type first and then move on to how they could affect different health types and interact with them.  First off all the elemental types and physical types of damage should be viewed differently as they would act differently on certain health bars.  Shields should be more resilient to physical damage where as flesh would be weaker to physical.  Shields should be weak to puncture as a single point of impact would have a higher chance to pierce a shield, armor would be weaker to impact as the wearer would be crushed inside said armor, and flesh would be weaker to slashing weapons since the flesh is being gouged.

Slash: Slash damage hitting through shields doesn't make sense so, shields making the user immune to slash proc (Not Damage) is a good change.  However, the slash proc shouldn't slash proc the shield.  Shields should block slash to help keep slash builds in check and to not run the late game.  It also makes sense from a science fiction standard as shields would block the user from physical damage so having slash be weakened against shield enemies helps keep it in check. Enemies with armor would take less slash damage since their armor would protect them from brunt of the slash attack.

Impact: Impact shouldn't ragdoll, but instead have a stumble potential that when accumulated enough will stagger the enemy leaving them open to either a finisher from a melee weapon or take increased damage.  As well, it should do less damage to shields as explained in slash, but should have increased potency against armor users since the armor would just be crushed into the user actually causing more damage.

Puncture: Although puncture cause enemies to do less damage, this is rarely seen to be used in high level gameplay as the main objective is either kill the enemy or be killed and worrying about the enemy hitting you becomes more important rather than the enemy doing less damage.  Instead, I offer the idea that puncture on flesh and armored enemies actually creates a weak point on them, probably the main region you were shooting and this allows the operator to do more damage in that area.  This becomes a miniature Banshee 2 and allows either the team or solo operator to do increased damage to the enemy they are attacking.  For shields as explained above, they would take less physical damage, however, puncture being a singular area of contact and damage should have the ability when proc'd to pierce shields and allow the enemy being punctured to receive increased damage to said area and allow that enemy to take elemental status to their armor and flesh instead of only the shield.

Cold: Enemies hit by frost would have three different interactions based on their health bars and armor.  Having shields would make the enemy take neutral damage and slow proc would be harder to proc or not be able to proc due to the shields, the change would go to flesh and armor.  Flesh based health bars and enemies would take cold proc faster and slow for a higher and longer duration because of the reaction cold has to tissue.  Armored units would have their armor slow them and make it more brittle allowing them to take more damage.  Changes like this combo with impact which, in my scenario does more damage to armored units.  This allows certain elemental types to be used in pars to devastate different enemy types.

Heat: Heat is in a good position currently, but the only change would be that it can't proc on shields and it would do neutral damage to shields.  Against armor it would behave the same and against flesh it would proc faster and do more damage.

Toxin: Toxin should behave almost identically the same as slash, since they would both be much more efficient at fleshed enemies and not shielded or armored enemies.

Electric: Electric would do normal damage to shielded enemies and have a lowered or zero chance to proc on them.  Flesh based enemies should have normal proc chances while being stunned for longer while enemies with armor should take more electric damage and be proc'd for a normal amount of time.  Also adding the change already applied where enemies that are cc'd can be re cc'd while still under the effects of electricity.

Blast: Enemies affected by blast should have a small chance of being knocked down, with multiple blast proc's increasing the chance of the enemies being knocked down.  As well, blast should do more damage to shields, but have less status build up against them.  Against flesh it should be normal across the board and against armored enemies it should do more damage as a blast wave inside armor would make the blast wave more deadly.

Corrosive: Being completely honest, I think the changes to corrosive was 100% the right call and change so, as such, I have no ideas, critiques, etc.

Radiation: Radiation has never has a huge impact on the game and it deserves to be much better than what it has been for so long.  Radiation proc's on shield causes the shield to erode slowly and do normal damage against them.  Against armored enemies it would stack and proc on them until a cloud of radiation would form around them following them and damaging nearby enemies.  It would also do normal damage to armored enemies.  Against flesh based foes, it would do normal damage, but instead of a radiation cloud building up around them, it would make them susceptible to more damage as well as turn on their allies.  Small tick damage would also be acceptable against flesh.  Although radiation allows enemies to turn on each other, it is never enough of a change to make it extremely useful and these changes would hopefully make it more fun and viable.

Magnetic: Another one of the less used elemental types in Warframe and one of the reasons is that it is nearly useless against armored and flesh based enemies.  What I offer is a complete change to it.  For one, against shields, magnetic after 5 to 7 proc's would completely remove the shield from enemy and do more damage to shields as well.  Against armored opponents it, when proc'd it would cause the main target to start pulling in other enemies grouping them up for either big damage or easier transitions between targets.  It would also do normal damage to armored opponents.  Against flesh enemies, it would do less damage, however, it would cause the enemies to either drop or jam their guns for a set duration.  This makes magnetic viable and functional versus all types of enemies, instead of just shielded foes.

Viral: This is another status that honestly works in either its old setup or new setup.  As long as viral does more damage to the flesh then it is fine.  Armored enemies should take neutral damage from it all around though and shielded enemies should take less damage.  Almost the same as toxin and slash, but even better against flesh.

Gas: This elemental status is hard to change or rework because on one side it becomes useless against anything other than shielded enemies, but on the other hand it only serves one function then and becomes a niche type of damage.  For this damage type though, the ability to hit through shields is already good enough against shields and normal damage would be perfectly fine there.  Against armored enemies it should make them less accurate and do slightly less damage.  Changing too much of this against flesh would make it broken since it already hits through shields, so that being said, it should apply tick damage that when constantly refreshed on the enemy increases the tick damage.  This makes it so, the more you shoot an enemy the more damage they take.  Allowing it to proc to other enemies is also a good bonus for it, so that it can be used against mobs instead of single interactions between enemies.

Overall I think changing status elements and how they interact would be massive and stray away from the focus on critical damage.  The fact that elemental types are being given secondary effects now is a great move in the right direction.  Although, I doubt you'll take my ideas/critiques to heart, these are some thoughts I had that would make the elements more viable on status builds as well as how they interact and perform in the game.  These changes would also allow certain build centered around anything, but slash, toxin, and corrosive to be still be viable and give new elemental combos a chance to be extremely effective.  Thank you for taking the time to read this if you have and I look forward to future updates and QoL fixes.

Toxin damage going through shields makes magnetic meaningless.

This is not new, but its even more obvious now with the changed status effects.

If shields are meant to be on the same level as health, then toxin needs to work like slash does.

• Like 1

I'd just like to recall attention to the fact that status shotguns have been trashed. 100% status per pellet shotguns like the Tigris Prime now get to 40% at most. 

This is a MASSIVE nerf because status damage scales off the damage of the pellet, status shotguns have had their damage gutted while the viral buff has given crit shotguns massive buffs.

For what reason did you nerf status, nerf status weapons, and buff crit weapons? Status didn't deserve this, in a game where nearly all end game content is status immune and crit is king, as well as crit being good where content can use statuses due to being able to use the new capped statuses far better than status weapons can.

Uncapped proc chances is practically only a buff to melee, too. Not exalted blade though, you HAVE to make sure exalted weapons can never compete with normal melee under any circumstances.

Edited by Drago55577
  • Like 1

Just my personal opinion as a primarly solo player that loves shotguns, who hasnt read much of this thread and is just drawing from personal conclusions:

While I agree that some changes were needed, a lot of this stuff should be sent back to the drawing board. Yes, the math was borked at 100% status for shtoguns, but the current nerf means that while there are many non-shotgun weapons that get above 100% status, the old 100% status shotguns are no more.

I have multiple high RoF weapons that can land 50-100 status procs per second (having 80 to 160% status chance), but the best realistic status shotgun I have (if you dont count exergis) is the strun wraith, which went from 100% with just a few mods all the way down to 40% with the newly buffed shotgun saavy taking up an extra slot. Even then, compaired to my Corinth, it does a tiny fraction of damage, because my corinth crit build (14k dmg base 75%5.3x with hunter munitions for dot) vastly outperforms my strun wraiths 8k damage base with 40% status. (Both viral/heat). I still think my corinth outperformed the strun wraith back when it was 100%, but now its no contest at all.

Elements wise, Viral/heat will be my new build. They just seem obviously superior to anything else.
Slash, its okay. Puncture is pretty unimportant. Impact is annoying (should switch it back to explosive and give explosive ragdolling, Id fit a shotgun to blast a guy across a room/off a cliff for the fun of it!)

Electric, I wont ever use outside of innate, because I want viral/heat. Still, it seems like a nice c/c option now that blast is gone.

Corrosive was overnerfed, heat does a better job, corrosive would only be very situatonally superior vs obscene armor values, which might not really exist anymore post armor nerf. Maybe if it too had a stacking dot? but then it would just be too similar to heat.

Gas after testing seems useless (I used to like it)

Toxin, once I read up on that toxic ancients gave aoe immunity, made me write off the element immediatly.

Magnetic was always trash, double+ damage is maybe better, seems a missed opprotunity to make it interact (disable) the new shield gateing. Still, unless and until it does something to unshielded enemies it will never have a place in my fits. If it popped nullifier/arctic bubbles id consider it.

Cold was nerfed, and i want viral anyways. Still, I never hate cold, kinda fun.

Explosive went from a good cc to useless. Make it be single target knockback/ragdolling and id use it for fun.

It just seems weird that you went for status/pellet on weapons that have innate multishot, but then when you give other weapons multishot through mods it doesnt do the same (wasnt the goal of this for consistancy?). So shotguns are penalized unfairly, and even unconsistantly within the catagory (eg for some reason exergis is allowed to have 100%+ status, but strun wraith isnt?)

tldr;

New status effects arnt balanced; viral/heat is such an obvious best general pick.

If rifles can have 100% + status, then the old status shotguns that could reach 100% (the ones that used to have base 30%+) should as well.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem right to me that only one of the three base IPS damage types does extra damage to the target. Since the current mindset of the community is damage over CC, slash is always going to be the most favorable in the current system, no matter what. I'd propose that Impact and Puncture also have damage capabilities by switching around some of the current effects. 

Puncture-- Switch with Viral and buff the new viral. Increasing health damage every shot is incredibly strong and instantly makes viral a must pick for a vast number of weapons. Armor and Shields, as faction spesific damage mitigation abilities, are fine for elements to address, but health is universal for all enemies. Having this debuff compete with elemental effects just isn't a fair contest. Competing with damage over time, however, seems like more of a fair contest. I don't know what the best numbers would be, as it would likely need to be toned down from the current version on live, but done correctly it would make all puncture weapons more viable.

Impact-- The one everyone hates. I'd propose that it's new offensive status effect, off balance, be implemented to increase how susceptible an enemy is to critical hits. This would spesifically be an increased chance to level up a yellow to an orange crit, and orange to red. This chance would start at 20% at first application and scale up to 50% chance to upgrade crits at 10 stacks. It would not affect crit chance. This is the only thing I can think of that would be on par with the strength of true damage over time and base damage multiplication. This stat isn't able to be modded for with anything but a set bonus, and isn't often reached on primary weapons, only melee. Other suggestions are welcome, but this is the most interesting thing I could come up with. 

As a trade off for the IPS stats of a weapon becoming significantly more powerful, elemental status effects would focus on less of a damage role and more support/playstyle defining augments. 

Blast- bring back knockdown status with no stacks, force enemies to stay on the ground for a longer period of time. The idea is to make the element strong for slow firing weapons to get follow up shots easily with just one status application.

Viral- combine blast's previous accuracy reduction with Puncture's previous damage reduction, and a smaller amount of health reduction and have it spread to the nearest target every second. (Only wide scale effect to indirectly increase survivability)

Corrosive and Magnetic are fine to counter spesific enemy types

Electricity-- remove stun, but chain damage to 3 nearby enemies with a greater percentage per stack, increasing to 80% damage spread at 10.

Heat-- remove CC

Cold-- Target could be frozen at max stacks and a frozen enemy could have a sizable damage multiplier 

Just fix Gas

Tl;dr: IPS adds damage, Elements provide more spesific utility based on playstyle. This make element choice more varied and weapons all have different niches 

• Like 2

Honestly, I think as long as gas clouds get fixed so they linger for the full duration instead of ending as soon as the generating enemy dies I can live with the lower scaling. I do think that exposing the pellet count for shotgun weapons in the arsenal would help with the new status changes on that weapon category. It's hard to tell if a particular % chance/pellet value is where we want it to be otherwise.

Viral is slightly OP. I suggest tuning down Viral from a 325% damage bonus to a maximum of 250% or 260% bonus - which sounds like a lot, but is actually only a 20%-25% reduction in power. This would give it the same score of 60 points in my spreadsheet, just like corrosive and heat. See the video below for full details on how I ran my tests and why I came up with this conclusion.

ssEiJMA.png

1 hour ago, Flying_Scorpion said:

Viral is slightly OP

I appreciate the effort and agree that Viral may be a little too good, but I'd like to point out some things:

You state in your video that Heat immediately removes 50% armor. As far as I am aware this is incorrect, the reduction in armor is staggered over a few seconds.

You tested the damage types against a variety of enemies and averaged the results - this is unrealistic; Of course you wouldn't use corrosive against Corpus, by averaging the results of armored and unarmored enemies you give Viral an unfair advantage.

Your weapons default damage is primarily Puncture, which partially ignores armor. A weapon with Impact or elemental damage may have performed worse against armored targets relative to unarmored targets with added Viral damage (and in relation to Corrosive).

22 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

You state in your video that Heat immediately removes 50% armor. As far as I am aware this is incorrect, the reduction in armor is staggered over a few seconds.

I just checked the Wiki and you're right.

"The Heat b Heat status effect's armor strip has a ramp up time when it first procs and a ramp down time when the proc ends. Every 0.5 seconds after the initial proc, the enemy will have 15%, 30%, 40%, 50% of its armor stripped. It will therefore take 2 seconds to reach the maximum armor strip."

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that. It makes a minor difference in the results I came up with, but thankfully it doesn't throw the results out the window because even taking into account what you just said, heat still has an advantage over corrosive when using a slow firing weapon. I still suggest that corrosive starts off at 53% armor strip and then ramps up to 80% to make it more comparable to heat - primarily when considering it's usefulness for slow-firing weapons.

Of course you wouldn't use corrosive against Corpus, by averaging the results of armored and unarmored enemies you give Viral an unfair advantage.

I see where you're coming from, but this misses the point of the video. The whole point of the video is to see what elements work best in most cases, that includes using corrosive against shielded units. 

Your weapons default damage is primarily Puncture, which partially ignores armor. A weapon with Impact or elemental damage may have performed worse against armored targets relative to unarmored targets with added Viral damage (and in relation to Corrosive).

Yes, impact does worse damage to armor. Regardless, it shouldn't matter for the averaged results that I'm coming to. The IPS damage of the weapon is irrelevant in the comparisons that I'm making. I'm not comparing the performance of the weapon between grineer and corpus, I'm combining it's results of both grineer and corpus and then drawing comparisons between the elements. That's why I put both shielded and armored units in there. That's the whole point. To see which is best to use in generally any situation. And the answer is obvious: heat + viral (at least with the current patch).

Edited by Flying_Scorpion

2 minutes ago, Flying_Scorpion said:

Yes, impact does worse damage to armor. Regardless, it shouldn't matter for the averaged results that I'm coming to.

That is irrelevant, Puncture damage (any damage with a damage bonus against armor) additionally bypasses a percentage of armor. In the case of Puncture vs. Ferrite, the amount is 50%. If you can already bypass a percentage of the enemies armor (even only with a part of your damage) Viral gains effectiveness compared to bypassing even more armor.

Even disregarding the Puncture issue though, your data shows that Corrosive+Heat is the best damage combination against Ferrite Armor (the majority of Grineer), with Corrosive being the best single elemental.

4 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

That is irrelevant, Puncture damage (any damage with a damage bonus against armor) additionally bypasses a percentage of armor. In the case of Puncture vs. Ferrite, the amount is 50%. If you can already bypass a percentage of the enemies armor (even only with a part of your damage) Viral gains effectiveness compared to bypassing even more armor.

Can you give a mathematical example of what you're talking about? I'm having trouble following what you're saying.

I assume you are aware of the fact that damage types which deal increased damage to armor additionally bypass a percentage of the enemies armor?

Corrosive damage, for example, not only deals 175% damage against the armor type Ferrite - the enemies armor additionally only counts at 25% of its actual value.

Back to Puncture: It deals 150% damage against Ferrite and is additionally reduced by only 50% of it's armor value. If your weapon dealt entirely Puncture damage, this would be about equal to a Heat proc.

If your weapon already has a default Heat proc, would you prefer a duplicate Heat proc (reducing armor to 25%), or Viral procs (increasing your damage to 425% against 50% armor)?

Of course the amount of Puncture damage your weapon deals isn't that great, and many weapons do in fact deal Puncture damage. It's not a big issue, but I wanted to point it out regardless.

Anyway, it may be a good idea to (slightly) reduce the effectiveness of Viral damage against armor and shields (by giving it a -15% damage multiplier against armor, and -25% against shields).

Edited by Traumtulpe

Please, revert the nerfs for Gas. Or at least make it behave like the old Gas, but with the new multiple application mechanic. It looks like a crippled version of the Toxic Lash augment for Saryn. A proc that makes my enemies "smell bad" is more suited for a Peculiar mod category, and Corpus with their sci-fi respirators will never begin to care anyway.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)T-Furan said:

Please, revert the nerfs for Gas.

They will definitely improve the current version of Gas procs. DE might as well delete Gas from the game otherwise.

In the meantime, use Electricity instead I guess. The damage calculation seems good enough, and it makes shooting heads easy.

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it feels like one because of the Phantasma -

All beam weapons with innate mutli-shot, such as the convectrix, quanta vandal, and Phantasma only generate status procs as if they had a single beam. This means the Phantasma was just straight up reduced to 60% of it's original status chance, which is why it feels like a bug.