Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

On 2020-07-28 at 9:45 AM, Felsagger said:

I'll wait how things moves from now on. You will notice the red flags immediately. Once they start piling up then it is time to leave.

We've already seen the red flags but just from DE's design choices or sometimes just lack of them in the past 3 years. deadlock/steel path are both decedent updates for veteran players and this new update seems to have something for all level of players. But my point is that it took 3 years of misteps for people to drop the game either for good or take a very extended break. 

So long as skins don't go Path of Exile pricing. I can't see there being a big, red flag Tencent imposes onto DE or the game. Unlike Microsoft Tencent doesn't seem to be in the habit of rocking the boat. My disdain of Tencent right now isn't " oh they destroyed grinding gear games/path of exile". It's simply that are an arm of the Chinese government and they have more then enough revenue they shouldn't need Warframe. 

4 hours ago, Fire2box said:

We've already seen the red flags but just from DE's design choices or sometimes just lack of them in the past 3 years. deadlock/steel path are both decedent updates for veteran players and this new update seems to have something for all level of players. But my point is that it took 3 years of misteps for people to drop the game either for good or take a very extended break. 

So long as skins don't go Path of Exile pricing. I can't see there being a big, red flag Tencent imposes onto DE or the game. Unlike Microsoft Tencent doesn't seem to be in the habit of rocking the boat. My disdain of Tencent right now isn't " oh they destroyed grinding gear games/path of exile". It's simply that are an arm of the Chinese government and they have more then enough revenue they shouldn't need Warframe. 

Being logical. This tennocon was more down to earth with moderate expectations on things that DE can deliver in a fair amount of time. Heart of Deimos may not be the best presentation but it is for sure 82/100. They kept the classical war frame, skins, new tile set, few weapons, rework on the meta of one ability and few other quality of life game details. If DE gives a fair amount of this performance I'll be happy with what will follow. 

DE must establish their 'own game' delivering their goods at a moderate pace. Not being too ambitious or procrastinating too much. A moderate performance is way better that pies in the skies while the costumers are happy without being hyped too much. Their current strategy feels like a good outcome despite if Tencent exerts weight over them. Deliveries like Deadlock and Heart of Deimos are resent good smart moves. Not the best ones but not bad ones either. These releases are satisfactory. 

If DE plays a comfortable paced game with their delivery the game will endure a good life. DE may ask for more resources for projects if DE proves Tencent that their growth is steady in their game. DE did a good move with this Tenno con. Not too high, not to low. It was the needed delivery under harsh circumstances. I think we must give DE some space for this season. They will gain a a good pace and a fine roll for the next large projects once they settles few fair deliveries. 

On 2020-07-29 at 1:39 AM, TrouNoir said:

I'm not going to come here and say I'll stop playing Warframe if Tencent buys Leyou. I have 6000 hours in Warframe, I've been playing for nearly 7 years, it's a huge part of my life.

If Tencent gains control over Warframe, that will be the last time I buy anything, however. Right now I buy Prime Access regularly, I sometimes buy Platinum, I buy Tennogen very frequently, I've bought every one of those weird packs on Steam that come with cosmetics, I've bought every Tennocon Digital Ticket. I won't be able to spend any more money in Warframe if there's a chance that even a portion of it will be going to Tencent. Tencent is an arm of the Chinese Communist Party, a genocidal, authoritarian regime that oppresses hundreds of millions of people and is working actively to undermine the interests of most of the countries we live in. As we speak Xi Jinping is running literal concentration camps for ethnic and religious minorities in China, and that is what you will be helping to fund if you support nationalized Chinese companies like Tencent. 

damn 6000 hours is alot..

i guess we can just be thankful for the time we did have 7 years is a pretty good run as far online games go

48 minutes ago, HAYABU5A said:

i guess we can just be thankful for the time we did have 7 years is a pretty good run as far online games go

DE is going up with Deadlock protocol and the current Tennocon 2020. 

I can safely say that their Tennocon was precise. We somehow have to let DE have some freedom. We can tear the game apart or save it. In my opinion we have to let DE work their bench giving them space. Maybe they can regain inspiration while we support them the best way we can. 

55 minutes ago, HAYABU5A said:

This damn thread was on its way to death town. Then you came along and brought it back to the front.

On 2020-07-28 at 5:39 PM, TrouNoir said:

I'm not going to come here and say I'll stop playing Warframe if Tencent buys Leyou. I have 6000 hours in Warframe, I've been playing for nearly 7 years, it's a huge part of my life.

If Tencent gains control over Warframe, that will be the last time I buy anything, however. Right now I buy Prime Access regularly, I sometimes buy Platinum, I buy Tennogen very frequently, I've bought every one of those weird packs on Steam that come with cosmetics, I've bought every Tennocon Digital Ticket. I won't be able to spend any more money in Warframe if there's a chance that even a portion of it will be going to Tencent. Tencent is an arm of the Chinese Communist Party, a genocidal, authoritarian regime that oppresses hundreds of millions of people and is working actively to undermine the interests of most of the countries we live in. As we speak Xi Jinping is running literal concentration camps for ethnic and religious minorities in China, and that is what you will be helping to fund if you support nationalized Chinese companies like Tencent. 

That isnt true and hasnt been for a few years (or ever). There have been tech coming from some of the subsids of Tencent that have been used as spy programs by the chinese gov, those issues in said programs have been fixed though, due to massive backlash from Amnesty for instance.  So you are more likely to impact canadian based charity by stopping to support WF if Tencent becomes the parent. And everything that DE earns that will end up at Tencent, will have taxes tied to it payed in Canada, since DE is canadian. Outside of that, only minority shares of Tencent are actually chinese, it isnt even a chinese parent company that owns Tencent. It is a south african corp that has a very defining majority share of near 33%, the rest is spread over the whole world.

So in these BLM times it would be more logical and educated to boycott DE/WF since it will be a subsidiary of a company that is a subsidiary of a company that at one point was involved in apartheid, which would still be stretching it into absurdum. But that would require some reading up on this whole subject, so it wouldnt be so easy to do some knee jerk post on it.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

That isnt true and hasnt been for a few years (or ever). There have been tech coming from some of the subsids of Tencent that have been used as spy programs by the chinese gov, those issues in said programs have been fixed though, due to massive backlash from Amnesty for instance.  So you are more likely to impact canadian based charity by stopping to support WF if Tencent becomes the parent. And everything that DE earns that will end up at Tencent, will have taxes tied to it payed in Canada, since DE is canadian. Outside of that, only minority shares of Tencent are actually chinese, it isnt even a chinese parent company that owns Tencent. It is a south african corp that has a very defining majority share of near 33%, the rest is spread over the whole world.

So in these BLM times it would be more logical and educated to boycott DE/WF since it will be a subsidiary of a company that is a subsidiary of a company that at one point was involved in apartheid, which would still be stretching it into absurdum. But that would require some reading up on this whole subject, so it wouldnt be so easy to do some knee jerk post on it.

At this point I want to hear it from DE.  

i do t want to lose a portion of the playerbase based on perception if DE is able to speak up on this subject in any informative capacity to clarify without repercussions.

It’s just that simple.

10 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

This damn thread was on its way to death town. Then you came along and brought it back to the front.

TENCENT MUST be under exhaustive Scrutiny ALWAYS. 

If we sleep on the wall, we will get raided. 

Simple. 

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

i do t want to lose a portion of the playerbase based on perception if DE is able to speak up on this subject in any informative capacity to clarify without repercussions.

It’s just that simple.

DE is playing smart for their own life with the last two releases. Besides they sold their boat to Chinese companies. They brought this on themselves. 

How they get out of this mess, well, that's DE doing. They have to figure out how to get out. 

If they continue pouring great releases they may save their boat. 

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

It’s just that simple.

Still around 2 months left before anything is final. So I dont think they know anything yet since they arent first hand involved in the deal.

edit: And to be clear, DE can only speak up reagarding how things will turn out for DE. The worries regarding Tencent, china, ccp and everything else silly is not something DE can confirm or deny since they arent Tencent, the parent.

1 minute ago, SneakyErvin said:

Still around 2 months left before anything is final. So I dont think they know anything yet since they arent first hand involved in the deal.

Fair enough, but the internet and pace of information and MISinformation slows for no one and no company.

It is not our RIGHT to know, but even if they came out to verify that they can’t talk about it and assured us that DE’s integrity as a company is intact, it would pay huge dividends.

I have no clue based on conflicting information right in this very thread who Tencent is and how much control DE has over it’s own fate anymore.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Fair enough, but the internet and pace of information and MISinformation slows for no one and no company.

It is not our RIGHT to know, but even if they came out to verify that they can’t talk about it and assured us that DE’s integrity as a company is intact, it would pay huge dividends.

I have no clue based on conflicting information right in this very thread who Tencent is and how much control DE has over it’s own fate anymore.

I dont think DE can share anything besides how it will effect them. The fear behind who Tencent is will still be there just the same in the people that currently waddle in or spread it. DE simply cannot tell us who or what Tencent is outside of how it will directly effect DE's business and development. So people need to do like the rest of us and actually go out there and read up on who actually is invloved in Tencent.

I'm sure there is a large part of those that fear Tencent that currently sit and fiddle on their Huawei phones while ranting about Tencent. That is about as informed as people are regarding who is or who does what when it comes to China, CCP and everything else over there.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

I'll be honest. 

DE decided to sell their luck. That luck was sold to another owner. DE sold their boat profits but they keep the boat. 

DE is surviving the best way they can in a market that is savage. They produced few games without fair success. Only this GAAS F2P became their bridge for their lives in the VG industry. 

DE can't say anything because they don't know and they are not dumb enough to exacerbate things further. DE is taking care of business, that is us. If they keep doing a good roll Tencent will recede in the background. 

However if we see red flags going on, we are going to jump all over TENCENT like a wild swarm of wasps. Besides TENCENT knows how to keep business. I hope they play smart business. 

On 2020-07-27 at 7:57 AM, OniDax said:

Don't tell me Tencent can't impose pressure on DE to perform the way they want, including meeting profit goals. They can replace the CEO if they want to. They can replace senior personnel if DE doesn't perform the way they want. I don't know if they will, but they can. Leyou could do that right now. Having read it, I ask that you please quote the paragraph that you think supports your assertion.

They totally CAN, but Tencent's history is actually pretty good. If you want to look for garbage publishers and gaming companies, you should look towards America. With companies like Riot, GGG and so many others, Tencent cares more about *portfolio*. They make all their money through mobile games. Their history in buying companies, or majority stock in companies (which gives them basically full power) is pretty good. They didn't ruin LoL, they didn't ruin Path of Exile. I can't think of an example of a game that was ruined by Tencent. Maybe there is some, but I really haven't found it. I get it - we all hate giant monopolies that aren't American, but as far as Tencent is concerned, they seem to be pretty hands off. I think they buy companies more for the respect and credibility it earns their brand. And in a long term brand-establishment strategy, this is more valuable than money.

Look at Sekiro. It's not on the level of profit a game like CoD or WoW brings. Activision decided to publish it and they were transparent in their intention - they don't have a game like this in their portfolio, so they wanted to put one. This allows them to expand their brand, the Activision brand, to a wider audience. It's not just about immediate profit, mate. Business is not just about money, it's about business. Brands have value, and publishers are brands. 

Certainly the hatred towards Tencent is similar towards the hatred towards Huawei - as soon as it became the biggest tech company, we all decided it spies on people. It was fine before it became the biggest in the world. Same with TikTok - it became the biggest social media in the world and we decided it spies on people (I know it checks your clipboard all the time, and there's many apps that do this, for many reasons. For some it's for the app to know if it has to activate its paste function, there were some app devs on twitter that went into this bs). Now obviously, social media spies on you, but we don't mind if it's Americans spying on us. And now Tencent is the biggest gaming company in the world, so we need to hate it, too. Look, if I'm gonna be spied on, I INSIST to be spied on by an AMERICAN.

37 minutes ago, PopGligor said:

Certainly the hatred towards Tencent is similar towards the hatred towards Huawei - as soon as it became the biggest tech company, we all decided it spies on people. It was fine before it became the biggest in the world. Same with TikTok - it became the biggest social media in the world and we decided it spies on people (I know it checks your clipboard all the time, and there's many apps that do this, for many reasons. For some it's for the app to know if it has to activate its paste function, there were some app devs on twitter that went into this bs). Now obviously, social media spies on you, but we don't mind if it's Americans spying on us. And now Tencent is the biggest gaming company in the world, so we need to hate it, too. Look, if I'm gonna be spied on, I INSIST to be spied on by an AMERICAN.

I am sure the micro-transactions about getting stash tabs are well liked by the community or GGG censoring any mention of the Hong Kong protests on their forum after being bought out. While the Activision response that caused so many players to close their accounts was also due to Tencent poking in and suggesting that it was disrespectful to allow players to show support for folk arguing for Democracy. Not like the WeChat being used to spy on folk even outside of China isn't actually happening, as reported by many international news sites; or that they aren't acting as one of the IT managements for the genocide of the Ethnic Chinese in Xinping and their apps and programs being used to locate and confine as well as censor the details of the government's actions in this and previous missteps of human history. Its not like the IT folk haven't been decrying using programs like Siri, Windows 10, and Social Media in the States as well as camera surveillance like what is being used to identify and grab individual protestors even with the protests in Portland for instance. Its not like folk didn't put a collective gasp at the gross misuse of executive privilege that allowed rights violations like the Patriot Act to occur, or required folk like Snowden to leak just how much garbage the US gov was violating privacy without warrant. Gee its almost like Americans in general don't like folk spying, abusing rights, or being monsters; but wannabe authoritarian oppressor types sure love it! I and others have included many links to actual news and stuff to help form educated opinions instead of such hyperbole.

52 minutes ago, PopGligor said:

They totally CAN, but Tencent's history is actually pretty good. If you want to look for garbage publishers and gaming companies, you should look towards America. With companies like Riot, GGG and so many others, Tencent cares more about *portfolio*. They make all their money through mobile games. Their history in buying companies, or majority stock in companies (which gives them basically full power) is pretty good. They didn't ruin LoL, they didn't ruin Path of Exile. I can't think of an example of a game that was ruined by Tencent. Maybe there is some, but I really haven't found it. I get it - we all hate giant monopolies that aren't American, but as far as Tencent is concerned, they seem to be pretty hands off. I think they buy companies more for the respect and credibility it earns their brand. And in a long term brand-establishment strategy, this is more valuable than money.

Look at Sekiro. It's not on the level of profit a game like CoD or WoW brings. Activision decided to publish it and they were transparent in their intention - they don't have a game like this in their portfolio, so they wanted to put one. This allows them to expand their brand, the Activision brand, to a wider audience. It's not just about immediate profit, mate. Business is not just about money, it's about business. Brands have value, and publishers are brands. 

I'm sorry, but what did my comment have to do with a company being American or non-American? I'm talking about a parent company who owns over 50% of the shares having the ability to make changes to a subsidiary if they want to. I don't care whether you love America or love China. I'm just saying that Leyou and Tencent aren't powerless like some people think they are. And ultimately, it's irrelevant. The biggest thing is about what we want from DE in the future, what we want Warframe to be, and whether we think this parent company is going to help DE do what we want them to do and Warframe be what we want it to be.

Also, who do you think owns Riot?

1 hour ago, PopGligor said:

Sony SIE says hi. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games

Say hi to Horizon Zero Dawn. Game is pushed to PC because Sony is branding their library of exclusive games, after PS4 service life. 

No other PC game rivals Horizon Zero Dawn in that respective genre and category. 

US and China seems to be working their ways for a third world war. Those two stubborn kids can ruin the world more than it is already ruined. With all honesty the rest of the world is tired of their stupidity. BOTH. They should quit and settle their differences. 

Aside from that there is a list of offenders that enjoys such well deserved hate. Microsoft, Ubisoft, Take 2, EA, Bethesda, Activision. These where caught doing the worst in the gaming industry. I'm glad that the gaming community is aware of their wrong doing and all the red flags those thugs pulled off during the last 30 years. 

I haven't seen TENCENT pulling off red flags in the current gaming industry in the year 2020. Since I haven't seen one. I can't call them out. 

2 hours ago, Felsagger said:

I'll be honest. 

DE decided to sell their luck. That luck was sold to another owner. DE sold their boat profits but they keep the boat. 

DE is surviving the best way they can in a market that is savage. They produced few games without fair success. Only this GAAS F2P became their bridge for their lives in the VG industry. 

DE can't say anything because they don't know and they are not dumb enough to exacerbate things further. DE is taking care of business, that is us. If they keep doing a good roll Tencent will recede in the background. 

However if we see red flags going on, we are going to jump all over TENCENT like a wild swarm of wasps. Besides TENCENT knows how to keep business. I hope they play smart business. 

One thing to note, mostly regarding the last line of the post. Tencent being a multi-national and multi-buisness company, it is very important to stress what you say there in that I bolded. Tencent's board isnt made up of people with know how when it comes to games, I'd be surprised if any of the board members come from a game industry background. So knowing how to keep business and doing it smart, is probably for them to let the people with the know how within the subsidiaries set up the business plans.

As a holding company their idea is to surround themselves with smart people that know the business of whatever product it is that the specific subsid sells. Hence wht it went down the crapper when a former investor became a board member and later on CEO of Gazillion. He had no idea of what a dev studio could do or where to place priorities, yet he and some of his close friends that got re-hired decided to make those decisions. Luckily for us DE staff are still the members of the board of directors at DE.

A good business practice to let those who knows how to do their business. A mathematician works with the nature of numbers, a theoretical physicists works with the relations that mathematicians build for them adding more to the set of rules. Team math and team physics understand their limitations but they work together. When such thing happens you get theories like Quantum Mechanics based on Statistics and Lebesgue Measure. 

Refinement. 

There is all up to it. The more refinement, better. The story of these companies starts and ends with their decisions but most importantly with the clients. In our current world trust is a currency. Without it, any form of business ceases to exists. Tencent understands that the best business is to let people run their tugboat and do their fishing the best way they can. But when a company pretends to know how to fish in waters they don't know they a red flag takes place. 

As we try to be balanced, every company has ups and downs. Tencent is not the exception despite how rich this conglomerate would be. If DE gets inspired Tencent prints money. DE gets more people, War Frame grows. But there is a decisive factor, if we want to see DE winning. Should we want to see them go through? Of course yes. The community is organized well enough for the game success. 

Warframe may not be the best game but the ties between the community extended the life of the game. DE taught many lessons to the gaming community one of those is how the community is managed. Our attitudes defines the success or failure of the product. We have to watch it, we have the mantle of responsibility of calling out when there are red flags and good shots. This is our part. 

I think that we have to start getting busy on the other forums about suggestions and proposals. Besides DE has many. But we should not stop there. A more accurate and precise critique could be turned into the best contribution for the wealth of the game. This is why we have to be aware and grateful at the same time without letting other foreign interests throw away the game and DE's achievements. 

This is how this community rolls out. 

Just gonna chime in with a little info regarding how bad companies can make horrible and community unfriendly choices. Especially since the company that will be mentioned here is by some seen as a better choice than Tencent for instance.

In about a month a game named Marvel's Avengers will release across all platforms. This game is published by Square Eenix and developed by Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal. Everything has been fine and dandy, game looks promising and then all of a sudden a bomb drops based on one of the companies that will be involved, namely Sony. Now what is this bomb, well something massive that sweeps distrust, discomfort, anger and several other things among the ranks of the potential community. To be more exact, Spider-Man will be a PS4 and PS5 exclusive character. What does this mean for the rest of the platforms? Less content while paying the exact same as those on PS, it also means that one of the most iconic Avengers will be unobtainable for all other platforms.

So much for Sony being a company that understands the players imo. They just lost me as a potential Avengers player.

56 minutes ago, ChaoticEdge said:

so did Tencent bought yet or did some other company bought it yet?

No, the deals are not finalized yet; and no new info has been disclosed about how the talks are going; as Leyou and their subsidiaries are not allowed to talk about it until the talks are concluded we will probably be waiting until its decided.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Just gonna chime in with a little info regarding how bad companies can make horrible and community unfriendly choices. Especially since the company that will be mentioned here is by some seen as a better choice than Tencent for instance.

In about a month a game named Marvel's Avengers will release across all platforms. This game is published by Square Eenix and developed by Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal. Everything has been fine and dandy, game looks promising and then all of a sudden a bomb drops based on one of the companies that will be involved, namely Sony. Now what is this bomb, well something massive that sweeps distrust, discomfort, anger and several other things among the ranks of the potential community. To be more exact, Spider-Man will be a PS4 and PS5 exclusive character. What does this mean for the rest of the platforms? Less content while paying the exact same as those on PS, it also means that one of the most iconic Avengers will be unobtainable for all other platforms.

So much for Sony being a company that understands the players imo. They just lost me as a potential Avengers player.

Wait.....

Are you chiming because a red clown that latches on walls will not make it in an average looking game like Avengers? 

For starters, that game is horrid and has the worst frame rate ever. Just look at the last advertisements. Second. Spider man belongs to Insomniac. I don't want anyone else dealing with that guy except Insomniac. 

The game has the rest of the heroes even Iron Man. And will add more in future DLC packs. Imagine me arguing because Tracer is not in my War Frame game. Sony bought exclusivity for that Spider, Sony plays with that Spider. 

You want to play Spider Man. Get the "POTATO" Station 5. 

17 minutes ago, Urlan said:

No, the deals are not finalized yet; and no new info has been disclosed about how the talks are going; as Leyou and their subsidiaries are not allowed to talk about it until the talks are concluded we will probably be waiting until its decided.

ok then then go with my plan then and keep going at it which the plan is getting another companies to buy warframe because this is our risk and our bargaining chips for I did ask and it is better timing that roll this dice on the table for this is time send in much we can which one is going make it or buy it.

source.gif

it is the great risk to gamble it as we the communties and players who is risking this roll and see will the other companies will actually try to buy it best they could.

1 hour ago, ChaoticEdge said:

ok then then go with my plan then and keep going at it which the plan is getting another companies to buy warframe because this is our risk and our bargaining chips for I did ask and it is better timing that roll this dice on the table for this is time send in much we can which one is going make it or buy it.

it is the great risk to gamble it as we the communties and players who is risking this roll and see will the other companies will actually try to buy it best they could.

Look at it this way, Tencent's offers through their subsidiaries and front companies alike IDreamsky was around $1.7 Billion last year when their offers were first being considered, then went down to $1.4 Billion while Sony's bid that Tencent felt concerned enough about was higher than IDreamsky's previous bid, and was Sony proper not the Playstation arm which analysts think signified an impressive bid but the amount was not disclosed. To beat Tencent's full self which is doing the talk with plans to make Leyou and Leyou's fully owned holdings; like DE and Splash damage among others private under their Tencent Mobile Arm. I don't think we could conceivably crowd fund the amount of money changing hands here; but if its a program you feel you could encourage others legitimately to try; go for it, though one might consider you being facetious with the previous responses and the dice gif files.

Either way, you would legally have to wait just like Sony and any other Entity interested until Leyou confirms or denies Tencent's generous offer; which most analysts I previously linked don't think is likely to be turned down.

Archived