Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could the game do with a revamped movement system?

(PSN)Primord3lion

1 hour ago, Acos said:

The movement is fine, probably one of the best movement systems in any game I've played in recent memory. What needs updated is some of the older maps that were made before the new movement system was put into place. Things like small geometry which juts out from a wall and makes wall jumping more difficult than it should be. 

There also needs to be more stuff to jump on. DE does seem to take this feedback and seem to think 'alright, one floor completely open, no obstacles whatsoever' and there's absolutely nothing to parkour and barely any reason to have that much verticality in the first place.

Like this room:

Spoiler

Warframe's Oldest Area Is Getting Remastered, Here's a Sneak Peek - IGN

The old room was definitely cramped, it looked weird and it had a bit too much clutter for its own good. But it also had that little platform above the door where enemies could spawn and you could stand on. Enemies would have to walk around, but you could just jump straight up. The new version doesn't have that. It's just a flat walk to the door. Bullet Jump makes you go faster, but just running faster (or having Vanquish's movement system) would do that.

Having one of the most vertical and freeing movement systems in gaming doesn't matter if you never have to actually engage with it.

16 hours ago, Orblit said:

When you start playing another game and instinctively try bullet jumping, only to remember, "oh yea....this doesn't have that.."

That happens to me a lot when I switch from Warframe back to playing Ark.

Gets ambushed by raptors.

Starts running towards Rusty Iron, the pet giant murdercrab.

Reflexively presses C to slide before bullet jumping gracefully into the saddle.

Suffers a split second of panic as the character starts duck-walking at one quarter speed instead.

Gets killed by raptors.

Followed by getting eaten by Rusty Iron as she helpfully pounds the raptor pack into mulch.

The only thing I don't like is the amount of X spam that is necessary to traverse fast in the game.  99% of players don't run to the objective/extraction or throughout the map in general, they just bullet jump->jump->roll.  I can say with certainty after playing for so long that the X button literally gets worn over time if you play Warframe.  After so many hours I try to save my X button by using frames with speed boosts or put infested mobility on them.

Movement in this game is one of the best or best I have experienced ever. If there is anything I want for movement, it's Wallruning back. Most say No to that but I would kill for option because I enjoy it more than wallhopping.

Somebody also suggested small Animation updates for Bullet Jumping. Big warframes like Rhino, Hildryn and Hydroid would do powerful jump animation (Like Hulk) without spin, skinnier warframes would have what they have now. Floating warframes like Titania and Wisp have slighly fancy float animation.

On 2021-01-23 at 5:02 PM, vanaukas said:

"I played this great game recently and I think this would fit on warframe" the thread. Every single week one of these is made in this forum. This should have the same treatment that "cross save" threads get recently.

I've been playing this game since '15. i don't see anything wrong with having a suggestion up for discussion.  Smh people these days

I like the movement system a lot right now, but I would like to see more improvements to wall latch so that it is worth using more often:

Right now we can only hold the wall, stay still, and look around. There is no real benefit or reason to do so except for a few Mastery Rank tests and spy missions where touching the floor causes failure. I believe another reason for a short timer is to prevent us from staying out of reach of enemies forever.

Wall latch shares a timer with aim glide which is not very useful for most frames. We have to aim at whatever surface we want to grab to use it, and that means we can't use wall latch easily while fighting on the move.

Some suggested improvements:

- Increase default wall latch timer slightly or separate it from the aim glide timer.

- Wall latch can be bound to another key, and set to toggle.

- Don't need to aim at a surface to wall latch. Just rub up against a wall in mid air then press the wall latch button or combo of buttons (it would have to exclude your jump button so that you don't jump away)

- If no enemies are alert to you, you can wall latch forever. There might need to be another clear UI element to indicate your alert state. People might say it would make Spy missions too easy, but if you know your spy missions already then they all have an easy path that doesn't require much wall latching. New movement capabilities means more potential challenge, and more options.

- When wall latching, we can do old school wall running without needing to jump. There is no need to worry about sharp corners because we can jump around them now if we need to. People who want to wall run a little further can use mods like mobilize or patagium in their exilus slot. Being able to wall run in some spaces is a bit easier than having to hop back and forth between two walls that are very close together. I can think of at least one spy mission where you need to do several wall jumps, then a vertical bullet jump into a small hole. Failing puts you back to the start, so that is one example where having an easier, long lasting wall latch just makes life easier.

- Once wall latch is active, we can hold crouch to slide down the wall vertically. This would be useful when you want to travel straight down, slowly, without letting go of the wall. Right now pressing crouch makes you fall off the wall. Being able to slide down means you can move down gracefully and aim around without letting go. This opens up some more movement possibilities, especially if we had unlimited wall latch.

I think the only revamping it really needs is sprint to be default on. Sprint key becomes walk key instead.

Better wall scaling and removal of tiny ledges above doors might be nice touches tho. A more fun feeling archwing flight model would be cool to, not necessarily a slower one, but one that has a little more expression of momentum, slower acceleration.

On 2021-01-23 at 3:02 PM, vanaukas said:

"I played this great game recently and I think this would fit on warframe" the thread. Every single week one of these is made in this forum. This should have the same treatment that "cross save" threads get recently.

Wouldn't it be nice if the title or opening reply contained the name of any game other than warframe in it then that thread would instantly get kicked to the "Off Topic" section of the forums where they belong? 😆

Archived