Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rememberance Day

CuChulainnWD

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

All vets around the world have suffered the same, so giving charity to only a small part of those would be odd, especially if it was based on sales made from something in a global game.

So... name a charity that actually is (in your eyes) global and applies to all of them?

There's literally millions of charities for Cancer, and DE only donated to one this year, which is a way less proportionate contribution to the cause, by that metric at least. Because it's not going to every single cancer lab and cancer researcher. It's going to the one that the Princes Trust contributes to.

Saying that it's a small part of the charities available is not an argument to not implement this and donate, it's an argument to implement more and donate to more, to more charities.

More events, more donations, more causes. Why is your answer to 'I don't think it's enough of wide-spread cause' to simply say 'don't bother' instead of saying 'sure, and while we're at it, let's do charity X, Y and Z'?

It's not a limited function here.

Add the Remembrance Day and contribute to the Legion, make a difference there. Then add another Day and contribute to that other charity and make a difference there too.

That's not hard logic to follow.

On 2021-10-31 at 4:46 PM, SneakyErvin said:

And I think recognizing the death of soldiers is less important than recognizing the death of innocent bystanders. Soldiers sign up for war, civilans dont.

wrong, so wrong.

WW1, or "the war to end all wars", was vast and comprised mostly of civilians conscripted. Same with WW2. The poppy remembrance is pretty much remembering all those men and boys who were sent off to fight and die by the usual political masters.

Rememberance is a means to remind us all, particuarly those political masters, that wars are bad. That's why we have this rememberance day. Maybe if it was a little more remembered then those political masters wouldn't be dropping drones on civilians in the middle east with such glee.

16 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So... name a charity that actually is (in your eyes) global and applies to all of them?

There's literally millions of charities for Cancer, and DE only donated to one this year, which is a way less proportionate contribution to the cause, by that metric at least. Because it's not going to every single cancer lab and cancer researcher. It's going to the one that the Princes Trust contributes to.

Saying that it's a small part of the charities available is not an argument to not implement this and donate, it's an argument to implement more and donate to more, to more charities.

More events, more donations, more causes. Why is your answer to 'I don't think it's enough of wide-spread cause' to simply say 'don't bother' instead of saying 'sure, and while we're at it, let's do charity X, Y and Z'?

It's not a limited function here.

Add the Remembrance Day and contribute to the Legion, make a difference there. Then add another Day and contribute to that other charity and make a difference there too.

That's not hard logic to follow.

I already did.

I really dont know how you cannot get that cancer research as a whole is global. No matter where the research is done, the advancements will impact everyone living with or living with someone who has it. Charity towards a specific local thing like say a legion will only benefit a few. If you cant see the differences I dont know how to explain it to you. And what could possibly inspire me to donate to something so foreign that I'd consider I have minimal knowledge about?

11 hours ago, gbjbaanb said:

wrong, so wrong.

WW1, or "the war to end all wars", was vast and comprised mostly of civilians conscripted. Same with WW2. The poppy remembrance is pretty much remembering all those men and boys who were sent off to fight and die by the usual political masters.

Rememberance is a means to remind us all, particuarly those political masters, that wars are bad. That's why we have this rememberance day. Maybe if it was a little more remembered then those political masters wouldn't be dropping drones on civilians in the middle east with such glee.

That is your opinion and you are free to have it. I just dont share it. You are probably born where it is a thing, I am not.

And in the world we live, trying to change our "political masters" wont change a thing even if their ideas change, you still have the cave dwelling extremists that will continue to fuel war, which leads to aggression feeding aggression.

11 hours ago, gbjbaanb said:

Maybe if it was a little more remembered then those political masters wouldn't be dropping drones on civilians in the middle east with such glee.

I'm pretty sure most people on the planet know war is bad, but some, like the ones you're referring to, just don't care even if that day was more known.

If they add a poppy ribbon into the game wouldn't it be kinda weird being "Let's reflect that war is bad" then immediately going to a mission and killing everything there?

I can see that date working on something like Fallout but Warframe doesn't seem appropriate

I already did.

Context, Ervin, context. If you don't like the Legion, then name a charity that does what they do that is more global than they are.

As I said in the previous comment, we aren't donating to generic, global Cancer research with the other donations, either, we're donating to the Princes Trust, which is good, but hardly serves the global Cancer Research any more than the RBL does for Veterans.

I do feel like it is odd that DE decided Nov 11th would be the right day to deploy the update, but it is ultimately a date and not a political statement. Bethesda will celebrate their 10 aniversary of Skyrim and release a new Aniversary Edition of the game this November 11th.

As for global charities, DE often donates to charities localized in London Ontario. Suggesting they donate to a local charity is in keeping with DE's M.O.. They donated to Convenant House, a Toronto charity with fingers of influence in the surrounding cities. Princess Margaret Hospital and Cancer Research Foundation is also in Toronto but people fly from all over Canada to get treated there, so they definitely have a wider range of influence. Many doctors and scientists will share their research internationally.

Choosing worldwide charities does send a different message. Like how people buy organic groceries, locally-sourced groceries, sustainably-farmed groceries, or only shop at small local businesses. If any of those actions are politically motivated or meant to make a statement, they represent different ideals. Of course sometimes "a cigar is just a cigar". (Quote Investigator believes Sigmund Freud never uttered those words).

There is also the problem where many people see Rememberance Day through a difference perspective. Some see it as a day of mourning, others see it as a call to action. When I was in high school many students would or would not wear the poppy depending on if they supported our country's involvement in current military deployment, it had nothing to do with showing respect to the fallen soldiers of old. I remember in my first year of high school a few students actually decided to join the local Cadets on Nov 11, you would figure they would stay away from war and conflict!

TL;DR the whole Nov 11 topic is a mess. The OP is well within their rights to suggest DE do a nice thing, though some people may feel it is counter-productive or unproductive. (Sorry my idea structure is erratic. I have a headache.)

3 hours ago, (NSW)Rafa-el said:

From Spain, I don’t know so much about this.

do you know something about Spain civil war¿

I know quite a bit and lived in Cordova for a few years. Since Franco did the honourable thing and finally died Spain have been racing round the world to apologise for him and properly bury his past. I don't know if they actively commemorate it but they do send a delegate to Whitehall in London and Belgium each year to lay a wreath. Same as Germany. It's not just the victors who are remembered but all those that fell.

Interesting point though. Not sure about Rusia tbh 

19 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Context, Ervin, context. If you don't like the Legion, then name a charity that does what they do that is more global than they are.

As I said in the previous comment, we aren't donating to generic, global Cancer research with the other donations, either, we're donating to the Princes Trust, which is good, but hardly serves the global Cancer Research any more than the RBL does for Veterans.

Like I've already said, I've already stated things that charity could go towards that would be global in the case of "war awareness". I wont state them again.

Everything within cancer research has a chance to reach everyone effected. We just dont know if the specific research will be successful or not, it is still in the end advancement towards global cancer research and hopefully one day the end of it. My father went through a couple of different cancer treatment programs here in Sweden that were researched on the other side of the great pond. Things that were by defualt off the list here (due to free health care) but they still had to offer him those treatments if he asked for them. Donating something to a legion will only ever effect that legion and its members in that area/region. It wont make progress towards the end of wars, it wont help someone from a different legion, it wont help a kid in some distant country that lost bodyparts, its family, home or whatever.

I dont mind DE donating to local things, it is just this type of thing that to me would be wierd since loss is the same no matter where you are from. If DE wanted to donate to a local legion without tying sales from a global event to it I wouldnt mind. But if I am to spend there needs to be an invcentive, something I asked you what that would be for me, which you didnt answer. And no I'm not talking about a virtual poppy, I'm talking about an actual incentive to why I should spend on something so foreign that helps so few.

hace 2 horas, (XBOX)Obi Wan Dandobi dijo:

I know quite a bit and lived in Cordova for a few years. Since Franco did the honourable thing and finally died Spain have been racing round the world to apologise for him and properly bury his past. I don't know if they actively commemorate it but they do send a delegate to Whitehall in London and Belgium each year to lay a wreath. Same as Germany. It's not just the victors who are remembered but all those that fell.

Interesting point though. Not sure about Rusia tbh 

Franco and honorable thing are anthitesis.

But if I am to spend there needs to be an invcentive, something I asked you what that would be for me, which you didnt answer. And no I'm not talking about a virtual poppy, I'm talking about an actual incentive to why I should spend on something so foreign that helps so few.

Hahahahah! So... let me get this straight...

You don't want to donate to a Charity because it helps so few?

Well, then sit on your thumbs and don't. Who here, among any of us, would give two squirts of a diarrhea ridden sheep if you did or didn't donate towards it?

Because guess what, you self-centred, small minded little thing? It's not about incentivising you. It's not about incentivising anyone.

It's about a Charity donation.

And if you don't have any charity to give to the cause, then don't.

Why make all this protest against it?

I don't see anyone going out to the Legion in Canada and saying 'stop putting these poppies in my office, nobody even observes Remembrance day in Europe these days'. Do you?

So stop trying to protest the idea of a Charity day in Warframe just because you don't happen to like the Charity.

You complete tool.

On 2021-11-06 at 6:21 PM, LillyRaccune said:

I do feel like it is odd that DE decided Nov 11th would be the right day to deploy the update, but it is ultimately a date and not a political statement.

It will be interesting to see if they chose to deploy it before or on 11am EST. Again it is odd that a game that takes some, much or a lot of its story (as I see it) that parallels real life would not stop and recognise a real life date that is observed in many nations on this earth. The lore cross over of a first Sentient war soon to be followed by a second may be coincidence, but what a coincidence.

9 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So stop trying to protest the idea of a Charity day in Warframe just because you don't happen to like the Charity.

For all that, I do not care so much that charity is involved, though it would be a nice thing to do, it is the fact that DE has not even considered recognising the day other than a typical office day to deploy an update now. Not exactly a classy move.

18 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Hahahahah! So... let me get this straight...

You don't want to donate to a Charity because it helps so few?

Well, then sit on your thumbs and don't. Who here, among any of us, would give two squirts of a diarrhea ridden sheep if you did or didn't donate towards it?

Because guess what, you self-centred, small minded little thing? It's not about incentivising you. It's not about incentivising anyone.

It's about a Charity donation.

And if you don't have any charity to give to the cause, then don't.

Why make all this protest against it?

I don't see anyone going out to the Legion in Canada and saying 'stop putting these poppies in my office, nobody even observes Remembrance day in Europe these days'. Do you?

You complete tool.

Nope, not really what I'm saying. I'm saying I dont want to donate to something this foreign that helps so few. I asked you for a reason, an incentive regarding how this would be relevant for me to donate towards when I can just aswell donate to something local here that achieves something similar. You still havent given me a reason why someone so far away would donate towards something so very specific "over there" that they have no ties to at all.

And of course no one goes out and tells anyone to stop placing whatever in the country that the event is ment to commemorate. But if someone started to place poppys here many would start question it because there are no ties to this day here.

I'm also quite sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Archived