Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rememberance Day

CuChulainnWD

@[DE]Rebecca Remembrance day is coming again Thursday 11th November. It would be nice if we could honour our veterans alive and dead with a Red Lotus Blossom. purchased with plat or credits, and possible proceeds being donated to the London Legion.

Lore wise it could represent the remembrance of the fallen Dax and Tenno soldiers of the first Sentient War. The new war is coming, it just seems appropriate.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Sorry but it would just cringe me out. It turns into one of those "these people that made sacrifices are more worth it than those people that made sacrifices" when not all veterans across the world would get the same treatment and respect.

For a game like Warframe where we nuke millions of nameless soldiers on a daily basis, there is a cognitive dissonance.

I think it's be a bad idea to have in-game celebrations/honors that relate to real-world conflicts between nations; it seems like there's too much potential to cause needless intra-cultural conflict.  Celebrating "our" holiday and not "their" holiday brings an unnecessary dividing line into the community.

24 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I think it's be a bad idea to have in-game celebrations/honors that relate to real-world conflicts between nations; it seems like there's too much potential to cause needless intra-cultural conflict.  Celebrating "our" holiday and not "their" holiday brings an unnecessary dividing line into the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Remembrance day has nothing to do with celebrating. It has everything to do with acknowledging, reflecting and remembering the cost of war for everyone that has suffered through the experience.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this an international thing for all veterans ever ? Or just an american thing ?

Not that I have anything against american veterans, but it would feel weird to celebrate an american only thing. Why not celebrate the french revolution too then ?

M

4 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

No it dosent. It's recognized. November 11th marks the end of the first world war. It'd recognized within the Commonwealth. November 11th is Veterans day in the US.

Since this is a Canadian game, it would be nice for this recognition and something that does get recognized internationally: it would be a great touch. 

Especially since it's also the 100th anniversary of the poppy campaign, It would be pretty cool to see a red Lotus flower to mark it.

would be nice IMO.

3 hours ago, Fallen77 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is this an international thing for all veterans ever ? Or just an american thing ?

Not that I have anything against american veterans, but it would feel weird to celebrate an american only thing. Why not celebrate the french revolution too then ?

it's an important day for any country that partook in the world wars, but really, the overarching theme is to honor all soldiers from all conflicts in recent memory, and to remind us that War is one of the worst things that can ever happen to anyone: there are no winners, only losers. 

"War doesn't determine who is right, it only determines who is left".

I love having things to buy for games that in turn create donations to good causes.

I do not love logging into games to step out of real life, just to have those things I am trying to avoid in real life show up in games.

In this instance, having a game that glorifies death and genocide as a pastime try and honor real life victims of war just seems disingenuous to be honest. 

5 hours ago, Arcsyrine said:

This could get real political, real fast... I doubt it would get added.

It dosent need to be. It's not about politics but remembering the sacrifices made. Dosent matter which political affiliations we have.

It's a personal issue with me. My great uncle and grandfather both landed on Juno Beach on Dday and I have another relative that was shot down in WW1 who paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

But that's not political. When the Commonwealth, US and European countries mark it, regardless of politics, its not about politics.

Just remembering history and the price paid for us to be able to have this discussion.

So having a decoration to commerate it shouldn't be a problem since most people buy a poppy.

32 minutes ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

It dosent need to be. It's not about politics but remembering the sacrifices made. Dosent matter which political affiliations we have.

It's a personal issue with me. My great uncle and grandfather both landed on Juno Beach on Dday and I have another relative that was shot down in WW1 who paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

But that's not political. When the Commonwealth, US and European countries mark it, regardless of politics, its not about politics.

Just remembering history and the price paid for us to be able to have this discussion.

So having a decoration to commerate it shouldn't be a problem since most people buy a poppy.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be celebrated. I have people in my family that lived through the Blitz in London and an uncle that was killed during the troubles in Ireland. I observe the holiday in Canada because my mum's family essentially had to flee Ireland during that period, so I use it to remember the sacrifices that were made for me to be here, regardless of time period or war.

What I am saying is that even in a game like Warframe you will have idiots that make it political, regardless of intentions or best practices. And I don't want to see a symbol of remembrance degraded and politicized. Paticularly when you have a global audience who may find the gesture offensive or in conflict with how they honor those that came before them. Warframe is present in several Middle Eastern and Aisian countries that might also find our remembrance offensive with recent conflicts. There are always more than 1 side to a war, and some sides doesn't always appreciate things like this. 

I don't want to start an argument over whether or not remembering is right or not or how to do it. My personal beliefs are irrelevant in this regard. I am merely saying that this topic is emotionally charged and politically sensitive. Which on the internet tends to lead to uglyness.

Il y a 14 heures, (PSN)robotwars7 a dit :

would be nice IMO.

it's an important day for any country that partook in the world wars, but really, the overarching theme is to honor all soldiers from all conflicts in recent memory, and to remind us that War is one of the worst things that can ever happen to anyone: there are no winners, only losers. 

"War doesn't determine who is right, it only determines who is left".

Oh yeah no ok, googled it (as I should have done from the start), didn't know that's how it was called in english.

You can say what you want about it being for everyone around the world, in the end, there is no overarching theme, it is in essence about some specific localized events.

So I don't know about that. Seems like it would get unnecesseraly political, probably better to avoid it.

On 2021-10-30 at 8:20 AM, Fallen77 said:

Oh yeah no ok, googled it (as I should have done from the start), didn't know that's how it was called in english.

You can say what you want about it being for everyone around the world, in the end, there is no overarching theme, it is in essence about some specific localized events.

So I don't know about that. Seems like it would get unnecesseraly political, probably better to avoid it.

That localised event was the First World War, that is when Remembrance day started. Remembrance day represents the lives lost in all wars since. There is nothing divisive or political about a day which is a time to reflect on the cost of war.

As someone pointed out we play a game that glorifies war, why not take one day to actually reflect on it, and the lives lost/sacrificed so that we may live. DE donating to their local legion would actually contribute some good to lives that have been affected by war.

DE certainly has no trouble donating to other causes, good or bad.  Nor does everyone around the world celebrate Christmas, Valentines day, Easter, or today Halloween, yet we are ok with that?

57 minutes ago, CuChulainnWD said:

DE certainly has no trouble donating to other causes, good or bad.  Nor does everyone around the world celebrate Christmas, Valentines day, Easter, or today Halloween, yet we are ok with that?

Other causes that they donate to are universal. Donating to a local legion is just that, local, and only centers around certain armed forces that have lost something while others see no benefit. That just wouldnt look good for a multinational company. And regarding x-mas and the others, they dont exactly go and dotane money to Santa, Cupid, the Bunny, Mr. Pumpkinhead or the Wickerman. They are just events, they also go under different names to fit better for everyone in a universal way.

I think the only thing I question regarding DE and donations is when they jumped the gun and donated to "BLM" even though most donated money to that cause went to another orginization with very questionable actions and intents.

24 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Other causes that they donate to are universal. Donating to a local legion is just that, local, and only centers around certain armed forces that have lost something while others see no benefit. That just wouldnt look good for a multinational company. And regarding x-mas and the others, they dont exactly go and dotane money to Santa, Cupid, the Bunny, Mr. Pumpkinhead or the Wickerman. They are just events, they also go under different names to fit better for everyone in a universal way.

I think the only thing I question regarding DE and donations is when they jumped the gun and donated to "BLM" even though most donated money to that cause went to another orginization with very questionable actions and intents.

Let's be honest. DE has donated to many "Local" causes. It is not about the money, as I said "Could" not should. If money were collected for a Red Lotus Blossom, they could donate it to whom ever they wish. The point is, DE makes massive amounts of money "glorifying" actions that many in our world have actually done, and suffered for.

To be clear I did not say DE donates to Xmas, Easter, Halloween charities etc, the point I am making is that DE celebrates these holidays, when it has been pointed out that not every nation recognises Remembrance day. Not every nation recognises Halloween, Xmas, Valentines or Easter. They are purely cosmetic when it comes to Warframe. 

DE is a Canadian company run by Canadians, members of the common wealth, for which lives were sacrificed so that they may do what they do, and we may enjoy the products of their game too. They have recognised other countries contributions and "Celebrations" (US Colour palette for the 4th of July?) Pride colours because we all have to care about what bits we insert or receive from one another? Yet to ask for a little recognition for the sacrifices made by any countries armed forces? Out of the question; in a game that is all about "War". That to me is hypocritical.

1 minute ago, CuChulainnWD said:

Let's be honest. DE has donated to many "Local" causes. It is not about the money, as I said "Could" not should. If money were collected for a Red Lotus Blossom, they could donate it to whom ever they wish. The point is, DE makes massive amounts of money "glorifying" actions that many in our world have actually done, and suffered for.
DE is a Canadian company run by Canadians, members of the common wealth, for which lives were sacrificed so that they may do what they do, and we may enjoy the products of their game too. They have recognised other countries contributions and "Celebrations" (US Colour palette for the 4th of July?) Pride colours because we all have to care about what bits we insert or receive from one another? Yet to ask for a little recognition for the sacrifices made by any countries armed forces? Out of the question; in a game that is all about "War". That to me is hypocritical.

It really depends what those local things are. This would be something tied to the military, which will make a political statement. It is different from donating to say local shelters etc. DE is also not Canadian fully. It is owned near fully by a multinational company, something that needs to be considered. Prior to that it was owned near fully by a Hong Kong based company. So donating to things that could be considered political is a thin line to walk. 4th of July isnt exactly the same, since it is a celebration of when a nation became a nation, and for americans their national day is a pretty big deal. Just as chinese new year is a big deal and celebrated independently aswell in the game.

Neither of those have actual political ties or could be considered political. If DE were to celebrate anything without risking going political and still lift peace and the horrors of war into the light, an event on sept 2 to celebrate the end of WW2 would be more appropriate.

12 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

It really depends what those local things are. This would be something tied to the military, which will make a political statement. It is different from donating to say local shelters etc. DE is also not Canadian fully. It is owned near fully by a multinational company, something that needs to be considered. Prior to that it was owned near fully by a Hong Kong based company. So donating to things that could be considered political is a thin line to walk. 4th of July isnt exactly the same, since it is a celebration of when a nation became a nation, and for americans their national day is a pretty big deal. Just as chinese new year is a big deal and celebrated independently aswell in the game.

Neither of those have actual political ties or could be considered political. If DE were to celebrate anything without risking going political and still lift peace and the horrors of war into the light, an event on sept 2 to celebrate the end of WW2 would be more appropriate.

Now that is some mental gymnastics mate. Recognising TWO nations celebrations IS Political. Asking that a company, that is for all intents in purpose Canadian (Regardless if it is owned by China, it still functions outside of China under CANADIAN Law) to actually take a moment and reflect on the depth of commitment, sacrifice and loss anyone has had to war? That is political? War may start with politics, but on the battlefield, no one gives a S#&$ about who you voted for.

As petty as it is to say, DE goes out of its way to bend the knee to what ever virtue signalling cause of the day (with a few notable exceptions) is screaming loudest. Yet we are all comfortable to profit in one way or another from actions that are in reality horrible to consider.

The 11th of November is a day to stop and think about such actions, recognised by a great many nations on this earth. Whether you call it Veterans day, Remembrance day, or what ever you chose to call it, given DE is a Canadian Company, I do not see the harm in recognising that day (11th of Nov)  as a day to stop and reflect what has been gained and lost from the actions of those who were willing to serve our nations. It is a day to be humble, not virtuous. Actions it seems that  are lost upon many people these days.

As I said before, Lore wise no other day of recognition makes sense. Would we really celebrate Easter, Valentines, Xmas, St Patty's day, or Halloween so many years in the future? Yet War still exists, the Sentient War was a war like the First and Second, many billions of lives lost, and it seems we are about to enter another great war. To take a day to stop and think about that, lore wise or in reality... again out of the question?

Archived