Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archon Boreal is the hardest thing I've ever done.

(XBOX)Lord ChibiVR

4 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

you guys wanted a challenge, now you got one. that's all I can say.

I wouldn't really call the fight "a challenge".
It's just tediously going through an overbloated healthbar....nothing much else beyond that.

Sure it can take a while if you don't bring the right gear...but its a far cry from "challenging"

Took my Volt/Wisp duo less than 10 minutes. We were mainly using Zenith. Pro tip: don't slack on gathering Deadhead stacks from mobs, they actually make a difference here.

I have my complaints, because it is yet another Sentient boss which means my favorite frame, Banshee, does literally nothing in this fight. 

But at least the boss has...... phases. And there are things I can actually DO to turn off the invulnerability instead of having to wait for a mysterious AI quirk to respond. Archons not getting oneshot by fully buffed Mirage and Chroma and having actual phases is already a vast improvement. 

I wish the boss was a bit more aggressive. But maybe that's just how Boreal works- I remember him not really moving all that much in my TNW Drifter fight except in heal phases- and other Archons will be different. We'll see next week. 

21 hours ago, Learicorn said:

Steel Path Zealoid or Vay Hek are much much worse in my opinion. 

He's tanky but not way too tanky that it's annoying. The thing i found silly were the aerolysts (is that their name?) spawning and doing literally nothing other than dancing in place because of heat procs, pretty fun fight overall other than that

it's not that he's tanky. I was fine with that. He was annoying because he would actively knock you over a ton of times and then become invulnerable constantly, which made it so much harder to hurt him, ESPECIALLY if you have to use melee like I did.

46 минут назад, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT сказал:

BRUH I JUST UNLOCKED THE THING. 

(do they only want me to use Nataruk?)

I've also brought Nataruk, perfect shots deal 3 times less damage than quick shots, Boreal also likes to cosplay an Enderman, and dodges charged shots with a teleport.

Better bring Incarnon weapons - just a few headshots, and you'll have infinite ammo, I think that's the intention, at least before they nerf them.

Oh, they just reverted the ammo regen nerf, for the mean time.

43 минуты назад, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT сказал:

Oh yeah to anyone wondering. I did manage to beat the boss on my second go. Revenant helps a ton because of his immunity to stagger and damage while my teammates did all the damage. 

Saw a few people abusing invincibility mechanics complaining that the hunt is too easy, wouldn't be surprised if DE starts to crackdown on them, like how they did with Vazarin back in the day.

It would even make alot of sense to do so in preparation for the raids, as they are, afterall, the biggest obstacle on the way to challenging content.

Edited by Rantear

Personnaly, after failing the mission a couple of time in a duo. I tried to SOLO it with Almost-Immortal-Inaros for teh sake of testing a few thing calmly :

-Does the boss is killable with middle-level weapons (Forma 3-4 weapon) or not ?

As I have finish the first combat phase, I'll say yes but IT IS BORING... not the usual boring but very boring.

-Does the global level of enemy are a problem ?

At first I'd say NO until got oneshoted with max health, Scarab armor at max with status-immunity augment... I look at with semlardeath log and found :

<RLanzinger> downed at 7,417 health by a level 146 Narmer Lancer using a PNWNarmerMaskPowerSuit
<RLanzinger> killed by 24,841 damage at 7,418 health from a level 146 Narmer Lancer using a PNWNarmerMaskPowerSuit

Ok, you can as cautious as you want if anymob can oneshot you, you are playing a SteelPath sorties disguise as new content.

My main concern is that the main Q.O.L change of veilbreaker is armor and ammo changes "In the effort of encouraging build diversity and streamlining the way that armor stripping abilities work" BUT this very one mission does not encourage diversity only a munchkin build to fight again an enemy with more immunity, more health and more disruptive abilities... all of this only make you consume time.

In comparison of Archons's fight in the quest, this is just a new Lephantis on a steel path map; and I find it time consuming and not interesting at all. IMHO, this mission should be move to steel path's map where it belong and not in the main game. The content and concept are great but it's boring to play in solo or duo like the let's fight vayhek with 8 players mission.

I thought it was generally fine.  Can't super melt her, but she isn't immune 90% of the time with only random vulnerable periods.

Also I managed to out damage (and out kill in the Defense part) my whole team in both the Defense and Boss missions as Titania exclusively in Pixie form.  So that was funny.  Also turns out Nataruk plus Void procs equals supernova lagfest.  Or, at least sometimes it does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLanzinger said:

Personnaly, after failing the mission a couple of time in a duo. I tried to SOLO it with Almost-Immortal-Inaros for teh sake of testing a few thing calmly :

-Does the boss is killable with middle-level weapons (Forma 3-4 weapon) or not ?

As I have finish the first combat phase, I'll say yes but IT IS BORING... not the usual boring but very boring.

-Does the global level of enemy are a problem ?

At first I'd say NO until got oneshoted with max health, Scarab armor at max with status-immunity augment... I look at with semlardeath log and found :

<RLanzinger> downed at 7,417 health by a level 146 Narmer Lancer using a PNWNarmerMaskPowerSuit
<RLanzinger> killed by 24,841 damage at 7,418 health from a level 146 Narmer Lancer using a PNWNarmerMaskPowerSuit

Ok, you can as cautious as you want if anymob can oneshot you, you are playing a SteelPath sorties disguise as new content.

My main concern is that the main Q.O.L change of veilbreaker is armor and ammo changes "In the effort of encouraging build diversity and streamlining the way that armor stripping abilities work" BUT this very one mission does not encourage diversity only a munchkin build to fight again an enemy with more immunity, more health and more disruptive abilities... all of this only make you consume time.

In comparison of Archons's fight in the quest, this is just a new Lephantis on a steel path map; and I find it time consuming and not interesting at all. IMHO, this mission should be move to steel path's map where it belong and not in the main game. The content and concept are great but it's boring to play in solo or duo like the let's fight vayhek with 8 players mission.

I used Revenant on my second attempt and didn't die. I would recommend him for archon hunts.

4 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Oh yeah to anyone wondering. I did manage to beat the boss on my second go. Revenant helps a ton because of his immunity to stagger and damage while my teammates did all the damage. 

So what did you contribute to the group? 

I highly doubt it's even a fraction of the difficulty of killing an enemy with a K-Drive slam attack and Yareli's quest overall. That is what I consider the hardest content to ever exist in this game.

Normal combat stuff is easy. Literal bull isn't. XD

Edit: Just completed it in one go without any issues or downs. Confirmed not even close to as hard as K-Drive quest.😆 Making something a damage sponge doesn't do much for the challenge. Just makes me yawn a little more times.

Edited by Wolfdoggie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wolfdoggie said:

I highly doubt it's even a fraction of the difficulty of killing an enemy with a K-Drive slam attack and Yareli's quest overall. That is what I consider the hardest content to ever exist in this game.

Normal combat stuff is easy. Literal bull isn't. XD

Edit: Just completed it in one go without any issues or downs. Confirmed not even close to as hard as K-Drive quest.😆 Making something a damage sponge doesn't do much for the challenge. Just makes me yawn a little more times.

It wasn't that it was a damage sponge, I expected that. It was that boreal would shove me over 5 times and then go invulnerable for 5 minutes.

I found the fight quite dull myself. I just went in with a random team with me playing titania. I flew up over the boss and just sprayed it with bullets for like 5-10 minutes and that was that. Everyone else died instantly to some attack during the first encounter. I managed to revive two of them before just going back to spraying bullets into the boss's head. 

So about as fun as fighting a lv5 lich, just gotta do it another 14 times now for a full set of shards. I hope the shards end up being tradable...

13 hours ago, Blaudari said:

I feel like DE gave Archon Boreal 90% DR but idk. any other enemy melts but boreal is just different. I am practically sneezing on him as damage.

It has damage attenuation similar to liches/sisters. Which means you get all kinds of funky logic when it comes to getting the most damage out of your weapons. From what ive heard you want either massive rate of fire or huge pellet counts on a crit based weapon. The boss is completely immune to all status effects. (Though they still apply) Single shot heavy hitters like snipers get hit /very/ hard by the attenuation past the first shot. 

I've also heard that whole thing where modding something for less damage does more damage on the boss is still a thing. But i haven't tested that myself.

Edited by Vahenir
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vahenir said:

I found the fight quite dull myself. I just went in with a random team with me playing titania. I flew up over the boss and just sprayed it with bullets for like 5-10 minutes and that was that. Everyone else died instantly to some attack during the first encounter. I managed to revive two of them before just going back to spraying bullets into the boss's head. 

So about as fun as fighting a lv5 lich, just gotta do it another 14 times now for a full set of shards. I hope the shards end up being tradable...

14 times for a full set of each but come on man! Aim high. You have another 125 weeks to get enough full sets for all the frames.

1 minute ago, Leqesai said:

14 times for a full set of each but come on man! Aim high. You have another 125 weeks to get enough full sets for all the frames.

Ah yes... You need 15 weeks to get a full set per frame, there are 50 frames. So... 750 weeks to get a full set of each shard for all frames in the game. Add 15 weeks for any frames they add during that time too. So i guess it'd be done in about 16 years.

Just now, Vahenir said:

Ah yes... You need 15 weeks to get a full set per frame, there are 50 frames. So... 750 weeks to get a full set of each shard for all frames in the game. Add 15 weeks for any frames they add during that time too. So i guess it'd be done in about 16 years.

Divide that by half.

One shard a week is purchasable from the view breaker camp I think.

• Like 1

aight so I did the fight, using Rhino Prime, Scourge Prime, Pyrana Prime and Paracesis (I expected Sentients) and it wasn't that bad, went down only once because I was caught without Iron Skin, that ones on me. 2 of the people i ran with died so it was me and another Rhino. I don't know exactly what attack killed them, but it also took my iron skin and shields at the time. 

my advice: take an Arca Plasmor or something that works on Aerolysts: were it not for Void Strike I'd probably still be fighting them now lol. (and Void Strike's cooldown is WAY too long IMO).

Boss is weak to Rad, canisters on summons are weak to corrosive. Stropha can two shot the adds, Phenmor and Laetum incarnon are OP at killing the archon. I literally killed the boss in like 2 minutes total with a fully modded Laetum. Infinite ammo on incarnon plus easy headshots on the big guy means no ammo issues. Only problem I had was not having anything to really deal with the adds, so my first time took me 30 minutes as Nidus. You can find videos of everything I'm talking about on Youtube already. Some people are killing Boreal in under 5 minutes.

The invincibility phases need a hard cap of like 2 max. "Hit the tiny weakpoint that doesn't always disappear when destroyed, also we won't tell you about it, and if you are too slow to beat the enemy they regenerate" is not a fun or difficult mechanic, it's just boring and slow.

"More phases" doesn't make a boss harder. It makes it bad. Doom Eternal's second expansion had the same problem. The last boss had way too many phases with the absolute tiniest of variation between them. That's not even mentioning the poorly designed fight itself.

My experience of this using pubs was that I ended up playing it 4 times, because the first 3 times I had teams that were woefully unprepared and died too fast, running glass cannon builds and apparently hoping to just kite their way through the fight. I was the last one standing all 3 times and I wasn't even on one of my hardcore survival frames, and I was pretty frustrated until I checked and saw that they were all pretty low level, like MR16-22 type of level (I had one Khora who knew what she was doing on one of these, but that was it). I guess they have access to the SP and just jumped right in. Can't blame 'em, but it was annoying.

Finally, on my 4th run, I got a team who was full of veterans and knew how to survive and deal damage, it was over pretty quick.

The invincibility sucked, it's just so bad for gameplay, but I also couldn't figure out the pyramid so it'll probably be less annoying next time, but the rest felt amazing. Wish I could play something like this every day tbh.

2 minutes ago, CrownOfShadows said:

The invincibility sucked, it's just so bad for gameplay, but I also couldn't figure out the pyramid so it'll probably be less annoying next time, but the rest felt amazing. Wish I could play something like this every day tbh.

You gotta shoot or melee the glowing red spots at each point of the pyramid. 4 on the bottom, 1 on top.  I'm curious if they are affected by abilities too.