Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Armor Max, now what?

AreeSoothsayer

Got enough armor to get 95% damage reduction... but you also happen to have more.  Now what?

Well for every 1k armor past 11,500, it's lower just rounding nicely, you could get a static reduction of +1. So if you have 21,500. You'd have 95%+10 damage reduction. Any damage 10 or less would be nullified.

7 minutes ago, AreeSoothsayer said:

Got enough armor to get 95% damage reduction... but you also happen to have more.  Now what?

Well for every 1k armor past 11,500, it's lower just rounding nicely, you could get a static reduction of +1. So if you have 21,500. You'd have 95%+10 damage reduction. Any damage 10 or less would be nullified.

I haven't studied the formulas for Tenno Armor

how does it work? what max number should I aim for so that I'm not wasting Archon Shards?

13 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

how does it work? what max number should I aim for so that I'm not wasting Archon Shards?

Kengineer had a vid on this recently. He said if Health is 300+ > armor, go for armor otherwise go for health.

You can find the EHP formula on the wiki if you are interested in the math.

23 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I haven't studied the formulas for Tenno Armor

The math I found out a few years ago is # / #+600 = Damage reduction

this maxes out at 95%, so no 99% damage reduction.

With npcs at really high rounds of defense or Interception rounds, long running survival spawning enemies that, without shield gating, could one shot you even with 95% damage reduction it wouldn't make much difference.

However I personally find it really annoying being on a low level map with massive armor value watching pea shooters doing damage. A small icon could pop up with a # in it showing how much static damage soak you have because of how high your armor is. It's not exceptionally important or anything but it would make things more interesting. Especially with the Grineer being armor heavy troops.

Heavy tank boss with 100k armor would have 89 damage soak. =P

this is one of the reasons armor is so overshadowed by shieldgating. 

it requires A LOT to be useful... and after certain lvl, it doesnt matter if you ahve 95% damage reduction, if the 5% damage you take is enough to kill you (while shieldgating is effective at any lvl)

numbers in warframe are too stupid...

something to bear in mind about armor is adaptation. as i understand it, having a high armor, say 95% damage reduction and adaptation at max stacks is multiplicative.

The damage you take is reduced by 95% from adaptation and then reduced again by your armor value another 95% of the damage that was carried over.

yes, stupid high level (thousands) enemies can still one shot you but for steel path or acolytes wailing on you, you should be pretty much invulnerable.... kinda like dragon key + augur mod, just less cheesy imo. (ya know, cuz investing in armor + adaptation SHOULD make you tanky, as opposed to making your shields weaker to become invulnerable... excusemewuthuh?)

So, to lay this out in more accessible terms for the people that come after me here:

Armour can increase infinitely. But it's on a curve.

What this means is that no matter how much armour you add, you will never reach 100% damage reduction. Warframe's damage system also has a rounding function which results in 'if an enemy deals damage, the minimum damage it can deal is 1'.

So even if you have a billion armour, then you can still (in theory) be taken out by level 1 enemies. They would just have to hit you an average of 600 times in short succession, allowing more hits for things like shield gating and shield regen.

With that said, however, it's largely not something you should build so heavily into for Warframe. Most frames have at least one, if not multiple, tactics for not taking damage.

Advanced tricks like Shield Gating abuse currently exist (although, because it's only available for most frames with a gear item that nerfs your total shields... I'm not sure for how long), along with Abilities for CC, self-restore, invulnerability and so on. Plus, there's always the great equaliser: killing enemies before they kill you.

Trying to find a balance between modded EHP and other survivability tricks is always best.

On 2022-10-11 at 1:49 PM, AreeSoothsayer said:

how much armor is that as I have like 2140 armor on my lavos and still only at like 86%

4 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So, to lay this out in more accessible terms for the people that come after me here:

Armour can increase infinitely. But it's on a curve.

What this means is that no matter how much armour you add, you will never reach 100% damage reduction. Warframe's damage system also has a rounding function which results in 'if an enemy deals damage, the minimum damage it can deal is 1'.

So even if you have a billion armour, then you can still (in theory) be taken out by level 1 enemies. They would just have to hit you an average of 600 times in short succession, allowing more hits for things like shield gating and shield regen.

With that said, however, it's largely not something you should build so heavily into for Warframe. Most frames have at least one, if not multiple, tactics for not taking damage.

Advanced tricks like Shield Gating abuse currently exist (although, because it's only available for most frames with a gear item that nerfs your total shields... I'm not sure for how long), along with Abilities for CC, self-restore, invulnerability and so on. Plus, there's always the great equaliser: killing enemies before they kill you.

Trying to find a balance between modded EHP and other survivability tricks is always best.

I ask because I build for my pets. They don't have all the tricks players have, just armor.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Cargan2016 said:

how much armor is that as I have like 2140 armor on my lavos and still only at like 86%

5800 will get you 95%.

Archived