The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Heirloom Collection Platinum Changes & Lessons

[DE]Megan

1 minute ago, Grav_Starstrider said:

Having to be more frugal with your money casts this consumer-unfriendly practice into sharper relief. I literally need to catch up on my finances (need car repairs) for the next few months. But what I want is the skins/signas. What I don't need is Regal Aya, since I have previously bought every prime accessory pack I wanted and am almost 100% caught up on my prime weapons, and totally caught up on my Warframes. Them INFLATING THE PRICE WITH REGAL AYA, to the tune of about ~$30 worth, is obnoxious and an extremely anti-consumer move. Good merchants and salesmen will let you buy different things separately as you so desire, but offer discounts when you purchase things altogether at once, sacrificing a bit of their sales margin in exchange for more overall money AND good will from the buyer who feels like they're getting a deal.

DE did the opposite of that. They said you HAVE to buy x amount of Plat/Regal-Aya's worth in order to buy the thing we all wanted to buy, the thing they advertised. Scummy.

But what if they wanted to sell the skins at that price? Maybe they aren't interested in selling $20 skins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grav_Starstrider said:

DE did the opposite of that. They said you HAVE to buy x amount of Plat/Regal-Aya's worth in order to buy the thing we all wanted to buy, the thing they advertised. Scummy.

And its even scummy for people who actually want the regal aya because theres a trap with the purchasable amounts that requires buying excess regal aya to get the remaining 4 needed to get the best value out of the 6 regal aya in the pack. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kokogumi said:

What I don't understand is why people are complaining about FOMO now. There have been many supporter packs over the years with exclusive skins, like the Deimos Hive Supporter Pack. That one also contained exclusive skins and nobody cared. Why is the FOMO part of this current pack suddenly a thing people bring up?

Honestly? Bring those back too, we still have the Angels of the Zariman + Veilbreaker Bundles. What's stopping the rest of the updates?
I never agreed with it them begin with, though I wasn't directly around in the game when it did drop.

FOMO is one reason I don't come back to some games. That they rely on it SO HARD that when I do come back?
Nothing it worth playing for, I keep seeing all these cool cosmetics and thing I COULD spend money on... but I can't.
So, I get discouraged. I say "Eh, your loss [INSERT COMPANY HERE] and leave for good."

I originally left Warframe for a bit because I couldn't stand the community any longer. (This hasn't exactly changed much either.)
I intended to come back at some point though, it was earlier than expected because the game I went fumbled in a- rather fittingly- fit of greed.
Where they tore down everything they were working on, everything that just needed a TINY BIT MORE WORK... in exchange for a glorified cash grab like no other.

To be honest? As much as I'd like to go back to that game? I won't.
Half of it is because the FOMO has- all we anticipated- gotten so bad that you can't GET half the items anymore and they won't let you.
Other half of it because they keep pumping out more and more cash-only items and limiting the ways players can get the until the game is just people looking to drop the fattest was of cash.

That's not a game, that's a wallet-measuring contest.
I'm here for a game, not some unholy act of the Money-Machine.

I came back to Warframe because everything wasn't an option.
Fortunately? I may now have options. Your move, DE. 

• Like 2

Just adding my voice to the choir

I understand why you've dealt with it this way. It's the most practical solution for you, considering that people have already purchased the bundles.

But I give you money because It's a FTP game, and I'm happy to support that. You put out content, and I buy plat I'll never spend.
If there had been a cosmetic pack without all the fluff I'd support you. Or if skins could be brought with plat you'd already have my money.

But I don't like these "added value" bundles. And having multiple premium currency's still rubs me wrong.
The timed exclusivity is just the icing on the distasteful practice cake.

I won't encourage this.

So why even type all this? Because I want you to know I'm a missed sale, and I'm probably not alone.

Edited by Mr32
spelling corrections
  • Like 8

My Thoughts were Heirloom bundle was like a donation with aya regal to make it cash only + plat (many didnt noticed the real value as Collector perspective = profile badge!!)

However if isnt a donation but real to sell.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           THIS was a needed change however ....(just another i'm sorry youtube apology) similar as regal launch, until players complain? theres a "fix" . why isnt better from the start? like basics accounting, comparing previous Cash only  ,worth items cost/price. It feels like testing water to see how low/high players would buy for digital assets ,which yourself set the value to then add +plat and say ,that would do it -Good Job Team ,We did it-

Dont get why inflation of a bundle from some sort of currency thats just coding .Here being plat or regal (plat being the "useful" ) regal exchange being EACH ;

• frame cosmetic 1-2
  • noggles 1
  • weapon 2
  • frames 3

Therefore 5 doesnt look much . IS setting a value price so complicated it becomes as bubble? Fan base or Whales already have most prime access or would buy the ones they like or just straight SUPPORT their favorite game ,meaning mostlikely dont need have use for extra REGAL or even plat

Skins looked so good but ingame no much.  Mag seem galaxy type material with deepth but ended being a tinted glass-Frost looks ok?-some materials parts do not take some colors well(as other ingame skins) but this are Exclusive Heirlooms, shouldnt spend time/resources to look wicked?

Drifter Dex is a good example, its free ,it got work behind but the design isnt great yet who would complaing about it if its free? why isnt great? 

• colors dont work well- similar to heirloom skins
  • its way different could mean it wasnt thought that well - parts are proportional bigger/wrong from other outfits or bad for a kid-heirloom not having the right materials like cheap tinted glass ,cant use other helmets or amors
Edited by WOLFtv

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

But what if they wanted to sell the skins at that price? Maybe they aren't interested in selling $20 skins. 

Clearly, they must not. However as many others have already said, the only skins approaching this level of exclusivity were gimmicky console/website-themed things like Verv or Switch or XBOX/PS skins, and it was understandable, that those would be contractually isolated to only be available through those specific markets, and the overall price point felt cheaper, or like you got more for your buck, or both. DE said they never wanted to pull a "founder's pack" on their playerbase ever again though (someone else is gonna have to source that for me, just repeating to be transparent about it) with FOMO on that sort of scale, and here they are doing it again. Aside from Tennogen, and console/website promotions and supporter packs, the overwhelming quantity of non-tennogen skins for this game, have been available in the market for Platinum. We're strongly disappointed in DE for not making these skins a Platinum purchase in the first place like the rest of the "Deluxe" skins on the market, and making them Cash-only instead. The LEAST they could do is not extort us for MORE than 20$ per skin, when the rest of the skins on offer max out at like, 7 bucks for tennogen, and wayyyy less than effectively 20$ per other deluxe skins that only cost 200plat, about 10$ in plat before you factor in PLAT DISCOUNTS and the fact that it's farmable for F2P players so long as whales keep platinum in circulation.

We know. We've done the math. They're charging about $20 bucks for each skin and then another $30 for Regal Aya and plat, and all of that is ridiculous. They SHOULD be willing to let us pay ONLY $20 each per skin/signa pair we actually want. That's still 20 or 40 bucks more than the 0$ we're willing to spend when they're trying to make us buy $30 worth of Regal Aya we don't want.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

But what if they wanted to sell the skins at that price? Maybe they aren't interested in selling $20 skins

What if I wanted to punch to you? Maybe I'm not interested in seeing you babble on.

Say it with me kids!
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should!"
Just because DE can set a time limit and hideous price doesn't mean they should!
... and because they did? Cue backlash.

24 minutes ago, (NSW)Royal_Elf_Mika said:

hopefully in the future if they make packs like this again, they will do the smart thing and add several tiers.

I hope they bring back these skins and say "Oh, no no no... the bundles are the limited thing. We can bring back the skins anytime!"

I don't want any other Heirloom packs if they're gonna keep these locked away forever.
It'll just remind me that DE will often triple-down on stupid if they feel the community doesn't raise enough hell over it.

It's like one of those "retweet" goals, except it's just make a mob. I thought we left this garbage back on Twitter!

Edited by Binket_
I added a sentence because my wishful thinking made me forgot what people do best. Dismiss genuine concerns.
  • Like 2

I rewatched the Heirloom Pack trailer and I find it hilarious how off-base the taglines are. I talked about "Celebrate 10 years of Warframe" and "Uphold your legacy" in my previous post, but the last one:

"Together as Tenno"

Oh buddy, the community hasn't been more divided or as divided in a while.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SkySplitter said:

"Together as Tenno"

Oh buddy, the community hasn't been more divided or as divided in a while.

Yeah... they would say that.

There's enough irony in that "together" part that you could make a Skana out of it.
Throw in a bit of "Comedy Gold" into the mix and you can make a Skana Prime, waggling it over the heads of the shills like it's a boogeyman.
While we're at it, let's add singularity's worth of "avoidable headache". For flavor.

EDIT: And for those lethally allergic to "Basic Common Sense", pivotal to the baking of "a good time"?
I can give the substitute of "Than wait a bit" and set it for 4 months at a paltry 385 degrees Fahrenheit.
This gives a better overall finish than the "Buy it immediately and sh!t over anyone who disagrees" spice that people tend to overuse.

In case it wasn't obvious? It's a silly spin on agreeing to the post replied to.
If I have to suffer? I'm going to mitigate it to best of my ability.

Edited by Binket_
Buy one sass, get one free!
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Kokogumi said:

What I don't understand is why people are complaining about FOMO now. There have been many supporter packs over the years with exclusive skins, like the Deimos Hive Supporter Pack. That one also contained exclusive skins and nobody cared. Why is the FOMO part of this current pack suddenly a thing people bring up?

If you think this is the first time people have taken issue with FOMO then you're just not paying attention.

Here are a few from 2015 when DE released the Saryn Orphid skin as a time limited Deluxe skin:

Nice but what's the point of making it limited time only?

Like if Proto Excal wasn't enough.

This might sound "*@##$y" or whatever but I want to state it anyway.

I think making anything "limited time only" other than holiday items in an attempt to make people spend platnum and money as quickly as possible is really S#&$ty.  If you are going to give us new content during any time other than a holiday it is only fair that the content stays around forever so people like me who can't just buy platnum whenever they feel like it can come up with a way to get the skin later.  I know you make it limited time only though so people who are scared they wont be able to farm the platnum in time or people who aren't good enough or high enough level to farm the platnum will just go ahead and buy the platnum for cash so they can get the skin before its gone. I know this complaint won't get any attention since this whole "limited time only" thing is obviously a marketing strategy to try to bring in more money.

*Insert players saying I'm wrong below*

You're welcome to go look for more. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/556384-update-17100/page/4/

Here are some about the Deimos Supporter packs you mentioned:

What happened to updates having mega bundles for cosmetics like these for Platinum? I don't want to directly support game-modes I'm unhappy with like Railjack, and most definitely not things like the Helminth system, but the exclusivity tempts me so I don't miss out.

Is every major update in the future going to require 20+ USD just to get the cosmetics? This marketing tactic is concerning. Warframe used to only do this with Prime Accessories. Using FOMO to sell extra bundles for things that normally cost Platinum is annoying at best.

I'm getting really tired of these packs. I'd better be able to get that Drone from the market at least because I'm not buying that pack for 2 reasons:

1. The ability nerfs in the Helminth system that's not even out yet.

2. The fact Tencent is probably gonna kill the game.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1215364-start-with-new-supporter-packs/

Funny how these predictions turned out, no?

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Greetings, Tenno!

I think this is great, I truly appreciate what is done, but I don't feel that this solves one of biggest issues I see, and still doesn't make them more accessibly priced which a lot of people still have issue with. 

I think this is a great move that doesn't devalue previous purchases, but I feel like more could still be done to make the unique items more accessible while they're available without having to spend so much on a big pack containing a lot more than they might want. At this point the value of the plat justifies the purchase for me personally, but I still feel like people are missing out, devaluing their purchases or buying extra that they don't necessarily need or want just because the skins aren't available on their own. Previously I would have said that a bundle without the regal aya with an accomodated price should be added to alleviate this, but with the extra platinum in the bundle I feel the value has been pushed up enough to not be the highest priority anymore, but now I feel like a bundle with just the skins and signas is the highest priority, this would make it more accessible now, without disrupting the timed exclusivity. And I think a lot of people are even content with paying what they see as a high price tag for skins given the special celebration, if they're able to justify the purchase because they're only buying what they want. 

And the biggest issue for me is (even if it doesn't impact me personally, as I have these primes already) for those who actually want to use the regal aya in the pack, it is set up in a way (whether this was intentional or not) to either devalue your 6 regal aya from the pack and avoid the best value bundles, or fall for a trap to purchase excess regal aya to get the best value out of the clearly incentivized frost and mag resurgance bundles. I believe this can only really be solved by either changing regal ayas sysyem, which I do not expext, or adding more regal aya in the bundles already containing it (either 1, 4 or more extra regal aya) in order to make the purchasable and spendable amounts of regal aya consistent with each other and remove the need to buy excess regal aya than what you need to finish the purchase. Though I'm not sure how this will fly after the platinum increase. 

Edited by NecroPed

When I first saw these skins I was planning to pick them up as Mag is my most played frame, but then I saw they were for cash, not Platinum.  The price felt quite high so I thought I'd take a few days to decide whether or not I really wanted them.  Seeing this addition of extra Plat does make them better value BUT I already have Plat stocked up and don't really need any more.  I've been regularly buying Plat to support the game with the plan to spend it on cool cosmetics when they come along.  Now, if I do buy these skins, I will no longer be buying repeated small Plat purchases as it just doesn't make sense if the cool skins a) can't be bought with Platinum, and b) come with extra Platinum!

When it comes to the Regal Aya, personally I do have use for it because I haven't bought all the Prime Accessories but I can see how this would be unwanted bloat for others who have been buying everything.  This I find quite ironic as it's the people that regualrly buy Prime cosmetics that I'd expect to be the main targets for these skins, so why include a currency they are least likely to need?

Regarding the 'FOMO' element, I'm not sure I'd personally go as far as calling it FOMO when it's a 4 month window for purchase, it certainly isn't instilling fear in me, but I am opposed to time-limited exclusives of any kind so, yeah, I don't approve of that element of these bundles.  (And before anyone mentions it, yes I am a Founder who owns infamously time-limited exclusives, and I've also said multiple times that I think they should come back.)

How about adding something else to improve the value of the bundles, like commit to making Noggles of these skins (to be distributed later) or a pdf version of the artbook.

• Like 2

hace 5 horas, [DE]Megan dijo:

Heirloom Collections are intended to be unforgettable (for the right reasons) - we are also discussing ways we can better preserve that feeling of legacy, quality, and prestige for future Heirloom Collections (if we make more).

You sure made them unforgettable. A stain in the otherwise clean history of DE and a gloom shadow over what's to come in the future.

Not only you guys don't even address how the packs are bloated with regal aya and platinum to artificially increase the price tag; your only solution is to add more? I understand you cannot change the bundle contents after people have already been scammed by them or fallen for the FOMO, that doesn't change the fact that DE was fully aware of the predatory tactics they were implementing to begin with.

Do better next time. Until then, the Heirloom collection is a hard pass for me.

• Like 14

I like the idea of the pack and the skins are beautiful but I do wish we could have purchased the skins individually as the price point was just too far out of my reach and it bums me out that this isn't something I'll be able to get. No shade on having the pricey bundle options though, it's a great way for players to show their support and get some bling to flex. Glad to see you all take on feedback and respond accordingly, that is very cool of you and unexpected in todays games industry climate. 

5 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

If we continue with this series, we are dedicated to ensuring all future Heirloom Collection releases have more purchase flexibility and reflect all feedback we received during this launch.

Yeah sure, you're gonna be flexible in terms purchase options next time. But what about the ones who just wanted the Mag or Frost Skin in particular? Why not reflect on the feedback you receive, you know... now?

And to those who says "It would be unfair to those who already bought the pack," no. You already bought the pack. You were willing to spend that much for the bundle. On the other hand, the rest want options. The complaints are justified. Not everyone needs/wants the Regal Aya that contributes to half of the price.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Here are a few from 2015 when DE released the Saryn Orphid skin as a time limited Deluxe skin:

Funny story, had to speak to someone today about that and they were saying in response to THAT EXACT THING: "that's nowhere near related, this is totally different".
All while the highest of horses. (Surprised they even had reception good enough to talk in space.)

Like, WHAT?!

• Both are Warframe Cosmetics that completely change the look of the Warframe.
  • Both are bought with money. (PLATINUM. IS. MONEY. No two ways around it!!)
  • Both are anything but required for gameplay.
  • Both have people complaining about the "FOMO" aspect of it.
  • Both have bundles associated with them, possibly having SOMETHING a player doesn't want.
  • Both were explicitly said to be "LIMITED TIME" with an end date.

But because I was- understandably- annoyed at their gall to keep rebuking everything with "But it's DE, they can do what they want (:"?
Suddenly that means everything was false.

You gotta love the shill's total blindness towards the problem... funny too, because those are usually the morons who are in politics or other such seats of power.
Money is a helluva drug, where it- much like any drug misuse- causes it's consumer to have incredibly flawed judgement.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bedainey said:

Why not reflect on the feedback you receive, you know... now?

HAH! That's funny.

Don't get me wrong, agreeing with ya fullscale.
... but hot damn, reading that and seeing DE's history with this stuff?

Yeah, can't help but crack a chuckle at that.
Hell, laughing at the issue for it's sheer audacity is the only enjoyment we'll get out of it.
Back to it, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, rei_zei said:

just don't buy the skin to teach them the lesson

If everybody followed the plan to begin with? This would've been solved days ago!
Unfortunately, there's always a defective-head somewhere in the crowd... they hear "don't" and say "do" just to be That Guy.

The "That Guy" almost does it to be recognized. Mostly through infamy.
I can't really pity them either. Most of them WERE dealt good hands, but they played stupidly thinking they're above consequence.
... than everyone pays.

• Like 4