Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whispers in the Walls launch date speculation

BowserNC

Just now, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Definitely not during/right after the Game Awards. Game updates don't tend to get rolled out in the evening hours of the day.

Yeah, I have the same feeling honestly, since it's very rare, more than likely a day or two after, if w'ere lucky but my money is on the week after or something stupid like always middle or end of Dec

6 hours ago, (XBOX)K1jker said:

It launches on the 23rd :) enjoy your holidays! 

I laughed way harder than I should've at that.

I'd say within the week after TGA.  Pretty sure it's going to be something they're trying to knock out before Christmas, and that would give them just enough time to iron out more pressing issues by then and then after Christmas would be tackling the smaller stuff.

Also would go out there and say that TNW didn't suck because it was a holiday release because it could've been at any other time of the year and it would still suck.

• Like 2

Updates have had a relatively consistent schedule of being on Wednesday.

So that makes it likely to be the following dates.

6th, 13th, 20th.

Of those three I say the 13th is the most likely. Space mom indicated she would be doing other things after the game awards. essentially taking the weekend off.  So I would put that as the 13th all hands being on deck.

But it could be a surprise of it going on the 6th or 7th.

On 2023-11-30 at 7:33 PM, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

They could do what they did with Emperyan: Launch it at the Game Awards.Dec 7th could be the date. Sevagoth is the offical drop for the stream, so with that in mind they could launch it during TGA.

That'll be my guess.

They could.

I also distinctly remember how well that went, and I don't doubt Rebb who was the community manager in the firing line at the time remembers as well.

So probably not.

23 hours ago, BowserNC said:

I only hope that they would have the necessary time to fix the potential bugs before going into the winter break.

It's a tileset/cinematic quest type update. Those are always more polished. Broadly speaking, the more new tech's at work, the less polished the update, and DE got their big, left-field update way earlier with Duviri.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

They could.

I also distinctly remember how well that went, and I don't doubt Rebb who was the community manager in the firing line at the time remembers as well.

So probably not.

It's a different situation then Empyrean. The #1 issue was that the TGAs was hosted at a later date, where DE basically launched the update and then the studio went off for Holidays basically after they made the keystrokes.

That hasn't happened since. Plus given the scope of this update, arguably the biggest and most important in the games history laughing it on TGA gives them 2 things:

1) Publicity

2) More time to hotfix before they leave for the holidays. 

They'd have at least 2 weeks of time to fix any major issues before then. Which makes a ton of sense to have with rolling out Cross-Progression.

Plus if it goes well then it's kinda a redemption arc for them. It makes a ton of sense to do it.

Edited by (XBOX)Cram Duahcim

17 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Except you forgot a little something, updates aren't separated by platforms anymore.

And that matters uhm how exactly?

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

It's a different situation then Empyrean. The #1 issue was that the TGAs was hosted at a later date, where DE basically launched the update and then the studio went off for Holidays basically after they made the keystrokes.

That hasn't happened since. Plus given the scope of this update, arguably the biggest and most important in the games history laughing it on TGA gives them 2 things:

1) Publicity

They'd have at least 2 weeks of time to fix any major issues before then. Which makes a ton of sense to have with rolling out Cross-Progression.

Plus if it goes well then it's kinda a redemption arc for them. It makes a ton of sense to do it.

We shouldnt forget that Empyrean was a "beta" (I'd say alpha even), which we knew, and it likely wouldnt have mattered when during Dec (or Nov) it was released really, since fixing and tweaking it took way longer than what would have been possible during a few weeks. People should probably look at the scope of other releases, normal releases where bugs are far fewer. Just because something gets released in Dec or in connection to TGA to be more specific it doesnt mean it suddenly turns into Empyrean bug state.

edit: I cant recall that many bugs even, atleast not those that have been gamebreaking. Even Empyrean was light on that for me. I think I had more issues with Duviri Experience specifically with broken bounty steps. And in normal updates I cant really recall any at all.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

And that matters uhm how exactly?

Well, let's see. Empyrean was able to be launched directly to PC by DE back before all platforms synced. Consoles don't typically schedule game updates to be pushed thru in the evening hours, ex. 8PM EST, which is around the time frame of the Game Awards.

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Well, let's see. Empyrean was able to be launched directly to PC by DE back before all platforms synced. Consoles don't typically schedule game updates to be pushed thru in the evening hours, ex. 8PM EST, which is around the time frame of the Game Awards.

As we continue to see consoles reinforce the meme "console peasant". Can't even update whenever they want, how sad.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

1) Publicity

The point is less that it'd definitely go poorly again, and more the reputation developed. Like, yeah, this is probably an update that'd work pretty well. It's Warframes and Tileset focused, after all. All stuff that's usually pretty polished, plus they have that fortnight to fix it.

But also, why risk it? Empyrean tanked DE's reputation f, and the release date was a huge part of that. And the extremely public release put even more eyes on it. They can't lose out on the advertising of course, so there's gonna be an ad there, but why push a release when a launch trailer gives them just a bit more leeway for a good release?

I suppose the idea of players being able to catch unforseen bugs is a possibility though, but I still am personally kind of doubtful. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

That is all dependant on the individual developer and not a rule, the only requirement is that the update has passed the cert process. So it being cross release now doesnt matter when it comes to a potential release at TGA or not. Since if they are ready to announce a release date, the cert has been approved, so the release date can at that point be the 7th. Which is more likely than the 8th or the 11th due to their weekday positions, which is either friday ouchies for patches or snoozie mondays.

So 7th, 12th, 13th or 14th are potential candidates, 7th or the 12th most likely due to the space given for patching, both initial and longer term, while also giving more space for the operation to release and potentially get enough fixes if needed before the off time for the holidays. If they wait until the 18th or the 19th its gonna be iffy with an operation going live a few days after release.

7th (or 8th in a worst case situation) would likely be the optimal, since it gives people the weekend to finish the mandatory quest to be ready for the operation release, which can then go live sometime during the following week. If it released on the 12th-14th, chances are the operation wont go live until the 18th or 19th, since they want to give people a chance to finish the quest and be ready to dive into the operation when it arrives. If it wasnt a december release it wouldnt really matter when, but with a holiday looming in the distance things need to get out there, get fixed as much as possible so we arent left with bugs for the rest of the year and into january.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

"don't typically"? I've seen way more updates go through in the evening hours(or midnight!) because of DLC than not, and actual patches can happen whenever people want; as the person above me said, only rule is "pass cert"; which is why consoles are able to release at the same time now, because before it was "whenever the console makers finished cert", which as we may remember could take weeks longer for some consoles over others. clearly they've fixed that issue since then, by submitting some of them sooner, or holding back others until everyone plays nice.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

That is all dependant on the individual developer and not a rule, the only requirement is that the update has passed the cert process. So it being cross release now doesnt matter when it comes to a potential release at TGA or not. Since if they are ready to announce a release date, the cert has been approved, so the release date can at that point be the 7th. Which is more likely than the 8th or the 11th due to their weekday positions, which is either friday ouchies for patches or snoozie mondays.

So 7th, 12th, 13th or 14th are potential candidates, 7th or the 12th most likely due to the space given for patching, both initial and longer term, while also giving more space for the operation to release and potentially get enough fixes if needed before the off time for the holidays. If they wait until the 18th or the 19th its gonna be iffy with an operation going live a few days after release.

7th (or 8th in a worst case situation) would likely be the optimal, since it gives people the weekend to finish the mandatory quest to be ready for the operation release, which can then go live sometime during the following week. If it released on the 12th-14th, chances are the operation wont go live until the 18th or 19th, since they want to give people a chance to finish the quest and be ready to dive into the operation when it arrives. If it wasnt a december release it wouldnt really matter when, but with a holiday looming in the distance things need to get out there, get fixed as much as possible so we arent left with bugs for the rest of the year and into january.

I forgot about the operation. Well that changes things giving the fact that they will launch it "a few days after WITW"... If we are gonna get a later release, say few days before they go into winter break, they would assume the update is bug-free, which in most cases is completely wrong and bugs pop out of nowhere. Furthermore, if we get the operation, after all these years, I bet they should and would monitor it to work flawlessly.

So yeah I basically agree with what you mentioned, I really really really really hope for an earlier release, mostly during TGA. It would be their best option for fixing bugs both for the update and for the operation what will be launched few days later.

10 minutes ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

Well that sucks. Better hope the update is well polished then since they'll only have around a week to fix potential bugs, less regarding the operation. Around 10 days (depending when it is released) if they work the weekend of the 16th and 17th.

• Like 1

One thing that crossed my mind is. Grind Shack phrases it with "during the #thegameawards" and Rebb answers "we're not.", so maybe they'll release it right after TGA since it would at that point not be during. :clem:

Though I'm actually hoping on the 8th, with DE working over the weekend incase things need hotfixing.

• Like 1