The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SP Fragmented One boss fight: actually good.

Skoomaseller

Might sound like glazing (it isn't, promise) but I just wanted to say how good of a bossfight this one is.

It's (I think?) got the old Archon damage attenuation, but here it doesn't feel like DE slapped it onto the Fragmented One just for the sake of making it a bullet sponge/artificially increasing its difficulty, like they actually spent time thinking about how to make the boss difficult without going "oh yeah just give the boss damage attenuation" and calling it a day.

The fight is actually engaging.

There's clear attacks that you must avoid in order for you to survive. The boss also has an attack that YOU can manipulate and turn against the boss. 

You are forced to move instead of just running Revenant and Senator Armstrong-ing the boss with your Incarnon Torid. 

There are invulnerability phases that actually mean something instead of just making you go "oh woe is me, 5 seconds of my life gone. why is he even invulnerable again? I can just sneeze and he'll die."

The boss isn't just a dumb tank that you need to shoot 70 quadrillion times for it to die (like archons); the high level and high damage attenuation combine with all other factors I've already mentioned to actually make the fight feel as if it were a true challenge, instead of artificially making the boss harder by slapping on high damage attenuation without any associated "difficulty" mechanic. Looking at you, Archons.

There's no blueprint tied to this (apart from the Manus Sumdali, which you only "need" 1 of anyway) boss so there's no need to do repeated runs against it which can sour the experience.

The fight arena is great. Gives you enough breathing room.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the design for the Fragmented One, especially its SP variant.

From this, I hope DE continues to make awesome boss fights like this one. I hope Archon bossfights will be reworked one day to be as fun as this.

They can do it, even with our obscenely powerful arsenal.

I wanna know what everyone else feels about this boss fight.

Edit: Also if you've done it (SP, Manus Sumdali), tell me how. I did it solo with Yareli + Laetum.

Edited by Skoomaseller
  • Like 2

dragon maid moe GIF by Crunchyroll

1 minute ago, Skoomaseller said:

Might sound like glazing (it isn't, promise) but I just wanted to say how good of a bossfight this one is.

It's (I think?) got the old Archon damage attenuation, but here it doesn't feel like DE slapped it onto the Fragmented One just for the sake of making it a bullet sponge.

There's clear attacks that you must avoid in order for you to survive. The boss also has an attack that YOU can manipulate and turn against the boss. 

You are forced to move instead of just running Revenant and Senator Armstrong-ing the boss with your Incarnon Torid. 

There are invulnerability phases that actually mean something instead of just making you go "oh woe is me, 5 seconds of my life gone. why is he even invulnerable again? I can just sneeze and he'll die."

The boss isn't just a dumb tank that you need to shoot 70 quadrillion times for it to die (like archons); the high level and high damage attenuation combine with all other factors I've already mentioned to actually make the fight feel as if it were a true challenge, instead of artificially making the boss harder by slapping on high damage attenuation without any associated "difficulty" mechanic. Looking at you, Archons.

There's no blueprint tied to this (apart from the Manus Sumdali, which you only "need" 1 of anyway) boss so there's no need to do repeated runs against it which can sour the experience.

The fight arena is great. Gives you enough breathing room.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the design for the Fragmented One, especially its SP variant.

From this, I hope DE continues to make awesome boss fights like this one. I hope Archon bossfights will be reworked one day to be as fun as this.

They can do it, even with our obscenely powerful arsenal.

I wanna know what everyone else feels about this boss fight.

Haven't tried it...

I'm stuck on vacation until new years...

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, (XBOX)Shodian said:

I definitely need to learn more about the fight before I go into it again. Tried solo only got him to about a little over half health. Really need to think over my weapon builds.

Preferably anything that doesn't eat up too much ammo. The boss can spawn goons but overall if you're shooting more than you can recover it'll be a pretty sour run.

I think Helminth Dispensary works here, but idk, I'm just the world's cutest Yareli main (read: DE has cursed Yareli to never be able to use Helminth abilities on Merulina).

The Incarnon/Genesis weapons (Laetum, Phenmor etc) are imo very good for this. Maybe not the ones that are too ammo hungry in base form, though (Atomos, Angstrum).

I think having something that does radiation damage helps a lot too (boss has triple vulnerability to rad, if I'm not mistaken). It, like the other mobs also has viral & slash resistance, so maybe 1 weapon to clear trash and 1 for the boss will work.

Of course if you're like me you can just say "#*!% it we ball" and spend 15 mintues trying to kill the damn thing because my mob killing and boss killing weapon is one and the same.

There are some attacks you NEED to avoid (thankfully all very telegraphed):

1) the sweeping 360°-ish beams which you can get airborne and aimglide to avoid (it WILL kill you and dispel your abilities),

2) the "tentacle" slam (it WILL kill you, not sure about dispelling abilities),

3) the one where it throws rocks all around itself (high damage).

4) Telegraphed targeting laser attack, which you can position yourself to make it hit the boss instead while you dodge as it fires (laser's visual indicator will tell you when it's about to fire).

Second phase it gets this soft enrage mechanic where it beefs up its damage (I think) and has two more (I think) attacks, which I can't recall currently. Same strategy, just be more careful.

Edited by Skoomaseller
  • Like 1

I'll admit i got a group in recruit chat, and took my incarnon weapons AND Hildryn Prime, so i guess my loadout was kinda overkill, but hey, i put alot of time into this gear, and after my first attempt i figured i'd need all the help i could get!, anyway the fight was still tense and my nigh immortal Hildryn still nearly got rekt, the most important thing is to never EVER stop moving and be airborne as much as as possible. There were some close calls, but no going down on my end. the others were on the ball with the revives and had decent gear too i think. Proof that 4 randoms together can work well as a team sometimes! 

Hardest part was trying not to die, avoiding Eximus AND trying to hit weak points for my incarnon modes, all at once. For the first time since probably my MR30 test, my adrenaline was REALLY pumping. But thankfully, despite a few mistakes, everything worked out and we all got the Sumdali. 

Honestly, if they just did an update where other, older bosses get this crazy "Raid Boss" difficulty, i'd be stoked! I would LOVE Sarge or Phorid to get this treatment for all the years they've suffered being OHKd!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Question about this fight, since I've been taking it easy so far:

Is this boss only available in SP or can I spawn it in normal mode to practice first?

Only available in SP.

51 minutes ago, Skoomaseller said:

For certain definitions and as long as you don't cheese it....sure?  Maybe?

I mean it's still cheesable as hek (Invisibility, various forms of invulnerability, shield gate abuse, etc. can still trivialize the fight).

51 minutes ago, Skoomaseller said:

It's (I think?) got the old Archon damage attenuation

That might explain how I killed it then because it's vulnerable to the old archon cheese: Burst of extremely high damage can one-shot it.

I played a Nyx with Assimilate.
I hugged the boss with my torrid incarnon.
I got hit by some wall lasers and my assimilate went down (I went in blind and didn't know about it's ability to dispel abilities)....and the boss dropped from full HP to 0.  And this was in under 45 seconds of actually spawning it.

And that was the entire boss fight...done near instantly and just left with an anti-climatic fight after it was super hyped by a few other players.

And that was just going in blind only knowing that it can hit really hard and thinking "Hey maybe a Nyx can just tank the fight with assimilate...."

9 minutes ago, crazywolfpusher said:

This fight should have been the weekly instead of Necracells.

Hek no.
It might be good to fight once or twice, but would just quickly turn into a quickly cheesed slog that would just be annoying to get to, especially with the mandatory "Collect 60 eyeballs" every single time.

For a one-shot boss where you get the rewards and pat yourself on the back?  Yeah I guess the fragmented one is decent in that category.
As something that you have to run 5 times every single week over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?  No.  That would just quickly make it one of the more hated aspects of the game.

Edited by Tsukinoki

15 minutes ago, crazywolfpusher said:

This fight should have been the weekly instead of Necracells.

Disagree. It's honestly ok as a trophy boss.

6 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

Only available in SP.

For certain definitions and as long as you don't cheese it....sure?  Maybe?

I mean it's still cheesable as hek (Invisibility, various forms of invulnerability, shield gate abuse, etc. can still trivialize the fight).

That might explain how I killed it then because it's vulnerable to the old archon cheese: Burst of extremely high damage can one-shot it.

I played a Nyx with Assimilate.
I hugged the boss with my torrid incarnon.
I got hit by some wall lasers and my assimilate went down (I went in blind and didn't know about it's ability to dispel abilities)....and the boss dropped from full HP to 0.  And this was in under 45 seconds of actually spawning it.

And that was the entire boss fight...done near instantly and just left with an anti-climatic fight after it was super hyped by a few other players.

And that was just going in blind only knowing that it can hit really hard and thinking "Hey maybe a Nyx can just tank the fight with assimilate...."

Hek no.
It might be good to fight once or twice, but would just quickly turn into a quickly cheesed slog that would just be annoying to get to, especially with the mandatory "Collect 60 eyeballs" every single time.

For a one-shot boss where you get the rewards and pat yourself on the back?  Yeah I guess the fragmented one is decent in that category.
As something that you have to run 5 times every single week over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?  No.  That would just quickly make it one of the more hated aspects of the game.

Maybe they'll patch it out or something, idk.

Edited by Skoomaseller

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

What the #*!%? They’re tying more unique encounters to SP?

It's supposed to be a secret "super boss" encounter...so it makes sense that its only available at the highest difficulty (and even there they fail to take into account various bugs, and exploits, that remove the "super" from the equation).
You also should know that the boss looks exactly the same as the normal murmur assassination fight, it just has new mechanics and attacks added on, so you're not really missing out on any spectacle in that regard.

Further the reward is purely cosmetic: A pair of hands to put on the outside of your orbiter that you can see during the various loading screens.

So it's not like you're really missing out on a whole lot if you don't want to do its SP mode to fight the boss...and depending on what you bring you're either in for a long fight (I've seen vids of the fight between 8-20 minutes of just the boss, not the rest of the level), or you somehow accidentally bring in gear that just one-shots it and ends the fight in 45 seconds flat like I did.

1 minute ago, Tsukinoki said:

It's supposed to be a secret "super boss" encounter...so it makes sense that its only available at the highest difficulty (and even there they fail to take into account various bugs, and exploits, that remove the "super" from the equation).
You also should know that the boss looks exactly the same as the normal murmur assassination fight, it just has new mechanics and attacks added on, so you're not really missing out on any spectacle in that regard.

Further the reward is purely cosmetic: A pair of hands to put on the outside of your orbiter that you can see during the various loading screens.

So it's not like you're really missing out on a whole lot if you don't want to do its SP mode to fight the boss...and depending on what you bring you're either in for a long fight (I've seen vids of the fight between 8-20 minutes of just the boss, not the rest of the level), or you somehow accidentally bring in gear that just one-shots it and ends the fight in 45 seconds flat like I did.

I want to fight the boss with the new mechanics, but if they’re going to add it to the mode we’re supposed to squash, then either balance the god damn mode or add the encounter to the standard game with more options and better balance too!

I’ll do it in Steel Path, but I’m getting annoyed that they’re adding more unique encounters to SP after the Orowyrm; the rewards are whatever, it’s the fights I want

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Only wish the "collect eyes" sequence wasn't such a slog to get to the boss fight.

I quite like that aspect. Though, I enjoy it when doing normal assassination and I take Speed Nova. For the SP boss it was quite a bit slower.

4 hours ago, Voltage said:

I quite like that aspect. Though, I enjoy it when doing normal assassination and I take Speed Nova. For the SP boss it was quite a bit slower.

I realise it kinda depends on your squad and tile , some squads drag it out cause they can't understand what to do , while some squads can wrap things up pretty well. It is then complicated further by the bugs that can happen.

I still feel the eye sequence is a slog that was unnecessary to unlock the boss fight. It could have just been it's own thing.

Feels like they tried to squeeze an entire archon sortie into one mission.

While i understand it could have been worse (like the various token systems for some of the other bosses like the ambulas and kala) it could also have been better.