Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How will China's new laws effect Warframe?

stash777

According to Pupster China is changing gaming laws and that will effect Warframe. First is there a way DE can buy back it's shares from Tencent? Maybe open stock or ownership to players? Probably a huge amount of money though. And why would Chinese laws effect a Canadian based company? And is what Pupster saying true? Recently he seems to dislike the game and seems to be streaming for money only... so I have my doubts.

Edited by stash777
spelling error

17 minutes ago, stash777 said:

According to Pupster China is changing gaming laws and that will effect Warframe. First is there a way DE can buy back it's shares from Tencent? Maybe open stock or ownership to players? Probably a huge amount of money though. And why would Chinese laws effect a Canadian based company? And is what Pupster saying true? Recently he seems to dislike the game and seems to be streaming for money only... so I have my doubts.

i do recall seeing about this in my discord last year, so if pups just now getting to it , might be a little late to the party in some ways, anyway...

here is an article that might explain it 

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-issues-draft-rules-online-game-management-2023-12-22/

edit: found rebs response

image.png?ex=65ac9c24&is=659a2724&hm=d83

Edited by (XBOX)EternalDrk Mako
  • Like 2

I don't see how Chinese laws can affect a game that's not even available within China. Mind you everyone here is on the global version of the game while China has their own version of WF.

Plus, iirc, the only things mentioned in the laws is the login rewards which WF could easily find a way around anyways. Like just changing it from an automatic login reward to a daily interact with a console or is rolled into the first mission bonus.

• Like 3

You all are, I hope, aware that the Chinese government minister who proposed this law was removed from office and the law was only proposed, never implemented. Warframe should remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.

source: https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-removes-official-after-video-games-rules-spark-turmoil-sources-2024-01-02/

Edited by Seele
factual correction
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Seele said:

the law was repealed almost immediately

This part isn't true, the announced rules weren't actually implemented, just announced, but the official was removed. From the source

Insofar as totalitarian crackdowns on gaming- good thing you live in the US!

...Right?

• you missed that in less than 24hrs after making that proposal, China already started revising it heavily because their two biggest state owned Tech Companies complained about losing Billions in future profit.
  • any affect on Warframe would likely only be to the China build, the Global build probably won't be affected.

36 minutes ago, Kaiga said:

This part isn't true, the announced rules weren't actually implemented, just announced, but the official was removed. From the source

Insofar as totalitarian crackdowns on gaming- good thing you live in the US!

...Right?

I made a mistake with the original post and have corrected it since.

I live in Japan.

You've already been here for the fallout of similar eastern market changes or weren't paying attention.

Korea has a similar law. If you've played nearly any eastern online game you will notice very similar market methods.
As for Log-in rewards. How distant is that from a daily quest or rep grinds? IMO not much.

8 hours ago, Seele said:

You all are, I hope, aware that the Chinese government minister who proposed this law was removed from office

my condolences to his family, I'm sure he will be missed.

Chinaframe is separate from our build, and Tencent, Leyou etc. are not going to disturb DE as long as they are making good money, which it seems they are.

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Seele said:

I made a mistake with the original post and have corrected it since.

I live in Japan.

Seele? That you? The Herrscher of Rebirth in Warframe?

Or am I by any chance just coping, and you haven’t played HI3 

If something like these laws would ever actually see the light of day it would have no impact on the west unless someone in the west would play a game created within the country that made up the law really, or the western player plays a port specifically  designed for that specific region, like Chinaframe instead of Warframe.

There is also a chance that the western companies would stop distributing in such places if they were forced to follow those laws. With a higher probability for such an outcome in a case that would involve China due to all the fuzz that goes on about that country, its people and their laws for example.

Also no idea how Tencent became part of the OP question.

Chinese laws won't affect Warframe.

At least not the Warframe that the world at large (i.e. all of us here) plays.

What it will affect is the Chinese specific version of Warframe, the heavily modified build for Chinese audiences; the version that we (outside of China) cannot play.

• Like 4