Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is reload as a mechanic unproductive to WF's gameplay?

Skaale

I don't see why bows should be exempt. When you consider that Warframes have the technology to make clones/duplicates and shrink, they could make thousands of small mini bows, with the same impact and damage of normal bows, and then fire all of them, over and over without having to pull back let alone reload. 

Same with launchers. So they should just get rid of reload, since it serves no purpose, and without reload, well do ammo or magazines really have a purpose either? All weapons should be infinite ammo, and constantly firing at all times, even when we aren't playing. Actually when you think about it all enemies should already be dead by the time we load into the mission, since they should be flooded by constant fire, plasma, explosions, energy pulses, bullets, etc constantly. There is no reason this shouldn't be happening. So when you really think about it, we all already won the game, and can finally play a different game. I vote we rename the Forums to be a Tetris Forum. 

More sincerely though, reloading is complimentary to Warframe's identity, since a large amount of Warframe is variety and reloading can help create variety and diversity, in a number of different ways. It can be used as a balance of sorts, to assist or hinder certain weapons, which in turn, may get allowances they might not otherwise have gotten. Basically on some weapons it can be used as a limiter. Some weapons like the Tigris and Exergis, having a small magazine/constant reload can let them have higher damage than otherwise. Whilst the Tigris has faded from the meta, it did use to be near the top. Consider a weapon like the Trumna. Huge magazine, mini AOE, and if you kill with it, a devastating bouncy alt fire grenade. Its got a relatively long/slow reload though. Reload is one way of many, DE can look at a weapon, and over tune in, in some ways, and then balance it somewhat in other ways. Just as far as gameplay elements. Obviously then you have reload, animation, sound design aspects, which can do a lot for the sheer visceral enjoyment of a weapon. 

3 hours ago, Hayrack said:

Modding for reload is unproductive, unless you are using some kind of ability/arcane aid and your riven has innate +reload speed.

Often it’s just nice to do; when I’m set for damage and am wondering what else to fill the remaining capacity and slots with, reload mods can help make a gun feel less clunky when I choose to mod for it

5 minutes ago, Merkranire said:

Often it’s just nice to do; when I’m set for damage and am wondering what else to fill the remaining capacity and slots with, reload mods can help make a gun feel less clunky when I choose to mod for it

Warframe players shocked that QoL mods are used for QoL. 
I too use reload mods to combat obnoxiously long reload times for certain guns. 

• Like 1

Is loosing a mission as a mechanic unproductive to it's gameplay?

is needing to put mods to scale my weapon's damage as a mechanic unproductive to Warframe's gameplay?

is having to log in to play the game as a mechanic unproductive to Warframe's gameplay?

• Like 1

I really had to think about the question for a second, it's the kind of thing that would be asked by the .... Very innocent ,to be polite. And so I will respond accordingly.

And yes , it does serve a purpose , it might not serve your purpose ,but not everything is about you.

A pause mechanic is its primary function.

A differentiator between weapons is it's secondary function ,

And the ability to include special mechanics based on reload is the tertiary function.

I wish DE added more guns with active reload similar to Sirocco (if you press reload at the right moment - you skip the rest of it + empower your next shot, but just skipping is great already imo), or added active reload to all existing ones (with the exception of bows and thrown secondaries). If done right, it can greatly improve the gameplay by breaking the monotony.

Just like Tennokai did - it's a really simple function on paper, but just because it requires player's input (and some reaction) - it really improves the engagement with melee. And I'm saying it as someone who doesn't really like melee - I started using it more.

So yeah, reloading is important, but it can be improved.

• Like 1

Catabolyst and Quatz just wouldn't be the same without it.

And who doesn't love shell by shell reloading? Felarx and Strun just feel right.

The animation team just nails it time and time again. Some of my favorites like Tenet Spirex or Truman add so much delicious flavor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schilds said:

This is a serious debate. The future of Warframe may hinge on who wins it.

Well I guess if this a serious debate, it's time to break out the big guns.

You are nitpicky and biased, I win. Bye-bye.

25 minutes ago, CoffeeElemental said:

I wish DE added more guns with active reload similar to Sirocco (if you press reload at the right moment - you skip the rest of it + empower your next shot, but just skipping is great already imo), or added active reload to all existing ones (with the exception of bows and thrown secondaries). If done right, it can greatly improve the gameplay by breaking the monotony.

Just like Tennokai did - it's a really simple function on paper, but just because it requires player's input (and some reaction) - it really improves the engagement with melee. And I'm saying it as someone who doesn't really like melee - I started using it more.

So yeah, reloading is important, but it can be improved.

But honestly this, where did that fancy reload mechanic go?? It seems like Incarnons ate up all the Alt Fire Mechanic Real Estate.

• Like 2

I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke topic or not.

Either way Radiated Reload has become my new favorite mod for any non-shotgun primary with a long reload time and I can no longer imagine my Quellor without it.

i mean, yes? but enemies as a whole are unproductive to wfs gameplay, all they (and reloading) do is slow down how quickly you can finish missions and get your loot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skaale said:

It seems to me like there are a million other ways to limit the player that don't hinder the fluidity of the game. 

Oh yeah?  I bet you can't list even half that many. :P