The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who wants to play as Arthur or as one of the protoframes in every single part of the game instead taking the role of the operator?

Hi, in this topic I ask for the help of the forum members to make reality the option of using a protoframe for playing any part of the game as well as the option of creating a human character and using warframes as armor parts like Arthur does.

THANKS for reading my topic

Edited by VoidGhost
  • Like 3

Thanks for your interest in my topic Circle_of_Psi, I hope the Digital Extremes crew one day succeeds in investing time and money to making Warframe a game where the word customization expresses each and every part of it.

I apologize in case my English is not good enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest in my topic Chewarette, have you thought about the possibilities in the field of character customization the use of proto warframes apply?

I believe that specialized weapons made for the operator and the adition of the drifter all call for complete customization available from the begining of the game, the choice of not being an operator but a human who can use weapons of choice is an example.

The most I can see happening is giving the operator and drifter suits that are based on some frame designs, doing the same thing as the proto frames wouldn't really fit.

It's better to just let DE cook more proto frame designs in the future, if they feel like doing more of them.

Thanks for your interest in my topic C11H2201, it is up to the players/fans to make reality how Warframe should evolve,I believe complete customization and lore can coexist.

No thanks - it's bad enough that Drifter exists, we do not need to add other options that would only further dilute the importance of the Second Dream and War Within quests on the overall narrative of Warframe.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if I understand...the Operator gets replaced by Proto Frames?  I don't see that happening since DE has already demonstrated that Proto Frames replace Warframes.

I also personally wouldn't want that.  Part of what I like about the Operator and the Drifter is that they are my personal character; I don't foresee myself having that kind of relationship with any of the Proto Frames.  There are plenty of characters that I love in Warframe, but there are only 2 (or 1, depending on your perspective) that feel like me.

I'll happily play as my Drifterator using Transference to collaborate with the Proto Frames in the same way the Drifterator collaborates with Warframes; but I don't want my Drifterator to be replaced.

• Like 4

I don't. It'd make no sense lore wise when the protoframes are parallels to frames and not the operator/drifter. They have no reason to possess the same Void powers and lack the same connection to the player.

However cosmetic options to let your operator or drifter cosplay as frames would be interesting. We already have the frame masks from Cetus so why not upgrade to some actual frame inspired suits. Or just outright making cosmetics out of the proroframe suits. But replacing the characters themselves is a no go from me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VoidGhost said:

Thanks for your interest in my topic Emwue, can more or complete customization harm the game's lore?

Customisation? Not very likely, IMO.

Problem with Drifter though, is that Drifter isn't just customisation, Drifter is actually tied narratively into the game, and they did not went through events of Second Dream and/or War Within and/or Sacrifice so it kinda does invalidate the emotional impact of those quests on further story - after all, it's hard for an event to have any impact on a person, when they have not experienced it themselves.

Which is probably why DE decided to make operator the one acting in Jade's Shadows quest, it really wouldn't make sense for Drifter.

In any case, I do not think DE would make customisation for operator/drifter that looks like protoframe without some lore behind it, and that would be problematic and frankly not make any sense as far as what we currently know about Protoframes goes.

I do wish they would release the hairdos of the Hex as new hair cosmetics for operator/drfiter though - Nyx's and Trinity's are pretty rad, not gonna lie. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for your interest in my topic Unstar I was refering to the option of choosing a Proto warframe in each and every part of the game as well as the option of choosing what your character will do in the game for example will your character be an operator, a drifter or a proto frame?

I use emphasis in complete customization because I want to see operators using any weapon from the warframe's arsenal furthermore experience each and every part of the game with the character that feels more you and that is where customization takes part.

Sorry in case I tired you with the long message :)

The Gemini Skin options will allow you to play as the Protoframes outside of 1999.

I mean just practically, Protoframe instead of Drifter just means you're bringing two Warframes to any given mission. That's power creep beyond power creep. 

• Like 5

It's not needed because of Gemini Emotes and unless something changes in 1999, it doesnt fit the Lore.

Protoframes are pretty much Alpha/Beta Version Warframes, they're likely the same as what Ballas discussed with Hunhow, the first version of Warframes where Ballas tried to make them with the Helminth Infection not infecting the mind. It's going to be interesting to see how all this ties together though given how 1999 isn't the actual past but a brand new Strand of Khra. Regardless, the Protoframes don't have the power to possess Warframes, they are Warframes.

It's also been hinted at that the Drifter is off doing something else important, even alluded to in the Preview Mall. Hopefully He/She gets more content.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VoidGhost said:

...the option of using a protoframe for playing any part of the game...

Well, the TennoCon gameplay we saw showed that you actually can play protoframes in any part of the game! There is an emote you can use to switch between warframe and protoframe, although I forgot what they called it. Gemini something? Should be near the end of the gameplay demo if you want to look it up. As far as I know, it should only be limited to the 6 protoframes coming out when 1999 drops.

6 hours ago, VoidGhost said:

...as well as the option of creating a human character and using warframes as armor parts like Arthur does...

I think this is the part of your post that has people thinking you're talking about a replacement for the operator or drifter, since those are the only custom humans we have so far. If you are hoping for armor for these characters that resemble the warframes, I'm not sure if that will be done, especially given that you can customize Arthur and his allies already (or at least, DE seemed to imply it). If you want a custom protoframe with a custom face, that would be pretty neat and could be a cool concept for a new warframe altogether. I'd be excited to see that!

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest in my topic Emwue, imagine a version of Warframe that the lore supports complete customization.I believe that complete customization from the starting point of the game would cause greater emotional impact because there would be no restriction to what your character can do as in reality where the potential of a Man or a Woman are limited by their will and that would be in accordance to the game's lore(your reference on the Drifter was good and to the point 🙂).

P.s.:I did not expect that my topic would interest my fellow players THANKS

6 hours ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

It's not needed because of Gemini Emotes and unless something changes in 1999, it doesnt fit the Lore.

Protoframes are pretty much Alpha/Beta Version Warframes, they're likely the same as what Ballas discussed with Hunhow, the first version of Warframes where Ballas tried to make them with the Helminth Infection not infecting the mind. It's going to be interesting to see how all this ties together though given how 1999 isn't the actual past but a brand new Strand of Khra. Regardless, the Protoframes don't have the power to possess Warframes, they are Warframes.

It's also been hinted at that the Drifter is off doing something else important, even alluded to in the Preview Mall. Hopefully He/She gets more content.

Protoframes are not the Alpha/Beta version Warframes. The game tells you what protoframes are. They're people who Albrecht Entrati partially infested so they would maintain their free will.

Thanks for your interest in my topic MobiusKnight I am sorry for the late answer I was at work.I believe that the option of taking the role of a protoframe without transference or the option playing without transference is something the fans want and Digital extremes crew tried to make reality with the following ways among others:

1.Weapons for operators/Amps

2.Arcane enhancements such as Increased health for operators/Magus Vigor

3.Apearance of the drifter

That’s the reason I mentioned Arthur in this topic and why I believe a skin is not enough.

Please imagine the possibilities the customization options the suit Arthur wears could have, some of them could be the following:

1.The experience we got from defeating enemies changed the suit's appearance so as to show evolution

2. The number of weapons we can carry

3. A skill tree so as to use more than four skills when in combat 

4. Suit made weapons such as a chest weapon like an energy beam emitting weapon or a back weapon such as homing laser beams .

I am not referring to a replacement of the operator neither of a replacement of the drifter but to the availability of the option to create a human character from the beginning of the game that can be either a proto frame, a drifter, an operator or even all these together with the ability of using any weapon and armor that can be customized completely.

• Like 1