The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Warframe ever have a truly alien faction?

Drollive94

WF follows a lot of sci-fi elements for its universe and factions. Cloning, technology, pathogens, AI, now the Murmur have introduced a Lovecraftian element...aliens might be on the table eventually just by virtue of that direction, but I don't think it's happening soon. Wait out the 1999 arc and maybe see how the plot around Wally resolves, and perhaps aliens will be next.

• Like 3

If you don't count the Murmur then I'd say the odds are slim to none. We might get something like that if we every go beyond the Origin System and go to Tau or some other system. But we're lacking any reasons story and gameplay wise to do either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drollive94 said:

Every faction in the game is  either human , was human, or was made by humans, but there is nothing at all that originates from anywhere besides the origin system, how do you think DE would handle actual aliens? 

What race is Jade's kid, he look exceedingly alieny to me in the baby swaddling simulator quest

Honestly, this is just speculation, but I believe the Man in the Wall/the Void keeps out aliens.

The Sentients left and came back, and the void was immediately toxic to them.

This suggests that living in proximity to the void has physical effects that protect from it, it also makes sense that the man in the wall would want to keep his playground intact.

It's unlikely. Part of Warframe's theme is cleaning up the mess humans wrought upon themselves. Even Wally was attracted to or possibly created by human intelligence touching the void. Aliens don't really add anything.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

If the Murmur aren't extraterrestrial life, then I don't know what is.

Strictly speaking, extra planar life rather than extraterrestrial 

17 minutes ago, (PSN)Cephalon_Scarlet said:

I'm betting Tau system is filled with alien lifeforms 

Under the current lore Taunis filled with Sentients which are Orokin-built robots. Of course DE could add some Tau aliens if they want

6 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Under the current lore Taunis filled with Sentients which are Orokin-built robots. Of course DE could add some Tau aliens if they want

This brings up an interesting thought: do the Sentients just fill the role of "aliens" in this game? They aren't originally from Tau, but that's where they're stationed, so they're interstellar invaders regardless. They sure look like alien creatures, moreso than machines. They even reproduce and can thus be considered alive by most definitions of biological life. Perhaps that's ultimately what our "aliens" will be: a new wave of invaders from Tau, having perfected void travel to circumvent their great weakness, now essentially a new species. Or, alternatively, we'll learn something happened that wiped out the Sentients of Tau, perhaps explaining the Fermi Paradox in this universe...creating new problems we have to deal with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JadeFromWarframe said:

This brings up an interesting thought: do the Sentients just fill the role of "aliens" in this game?

The Sentients are a very specific flavor of the "alien invasion" story that we at TvTropes call Ultra-Terrestrials. The start of the story treats them as generic alien invaders, with interstellar travel and non-human combat capabilities, while the reveal they are actually mankind's precursors happens later down the line. Indeed, we see this in Warframe: Sentients were mentioned in 2013 codex entries, while the reveal that Sentients were Orokin-made didn't come until 2016 Synthesis lore

• Like 3

I think it falls into one of the bigger issues in that the concept of "aliens" can be considerably more difficult to write for stories.  At best, you get a circumstance like you see in games such as Guild Wars 2 where you have this sense of "the other" and sort of pulling out lore bits by the seat of their pants, while the worst would be some hand-wavy nonsense term used to define an enemy force.  

Another issue is the very definition of the word.  The word "alien", despite any preconceived notions (especially those presented by the OP), simply refers to anything foreign and oftentimes perceived as unusual or abnormal.  It's why it's used in regards to matters involving exclusively humans such as immigration or at least one particular scientific theory about how all life is technically alien to Earth. 

While it may be an utterly nonsensical claim, I'd argue that the game kinda shows how we make our own aliens.  Look at things in the game like the Infested, the Sentients, the Grineer, everything involving Wally, that one ugly kid in Cetus wearing a mask for a better reason than we thought, even the Orokin; for all these things that were "once human", what are they to us now?

1 hour ago, Raarsi said:

Look at things in the game like the Infested, the Sentients, the Grineer, everything involving Wally, that one ugly kid in Cetus wearing a mask for a better reason than we thought, even the Orokin; for all these things that were "once human", what are they to us now?

I agree with everything you typed except for the inclusion of Wally: while his behavior and appearance are both influenced by human cognition, his origins are decidedly non-human. He is a voidspawn, not a human creation

I'd replace Wally with Duviri's denizens. They are definitely human creations, in a landscape and causality that's as you say "alien" to what humans are used to 

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Drollive94 said:

Every faction in the game is  either human , was human, or was made by humans, but there is nothing at all that originates from anywhere besides the origin system, how do you think DE would handle actual aliens? 

Like those aliens

15 hours ago, Drollive94 said:

• Like 1

Wally, the Murmur and so on would class as alien. Sentients could have also been aliens, but that would really require generations to go by, and at that point they'd only be alien in the sense of extraterrestrial since they'd still originate from what was made by humans. Kinda like the different interstellar nations in The Expanse are not alien, but they are extraterrestrial since they are no longer earthlings and have attributes tied to the planets and regions they come from. Like having issues with Earth gravity etc.

With Wally and the Murmur it kinda depends on what they actually are, if the Void itself is them, and they've taken the shapes simply due to the interactions with Albrecht and the Tenno. Which is probably the case, since any shape since to be possible at will, which is why we see Wally as a literal wall and how the Murmur are just fractured pieces of sand, rocks and body parts. So Wally is probably a cosmic entity, either a singular that is all or one of many. That it is also refered to as the Indifference kinda nods at the whole cosmic horror thing. Since they tend to be indifferent to the meaningless exsistance of mortals, where it is practically just as us stepping on bugs, maybe just for fun and to pass the days.

I used to ask this question to my self a fair amount back in the day, but the more you examine the setting, the more you realize its just not feasible simply due to the scale of the setting.

Two solar systems and ships that use an FTL system woefully incapable of traveling the rest of the galaxy is just not enough of a galactic presence to make aliens feel natural to the setting.