Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

Well at least I payed attention to the news before I ended up with another 1000 useless fusion cores.  Still doesn't help with the fact that there are too many mods to be used when some mods are so much more valuable.  We still aren't exactly getting a choice about what mods to use in some situations?  There really needs to be fewer mods, not just no more powers.

Thanks for the ahead warning.

Some did the maths already, actually we just lose ONE slot assuming you used at least one warframe ability so far.

I appreciate that we can use all the "fun" skills in the future and I hope that we still can chose which abilites NOT to take in the loadout (I am proud to have used Shadows Of The Dead not even ONCE as Nekros and I heartfully despise all those unspeakable worms who have used it). :)

UNACCEPTABLE - Or: we might lose more than a polarisation slot

Some already pointed out that they spent time and at some point money (in form of platinum for affinity boosters) in well-thought, flexible builds this patch gonna mess up.

I don't know if anybody pointed this one out:

you might lose even more if polarisations from formed frames are picked deliberately by DE!

In not too extreme cases you might end up with totally unbalanced setups, e.g. three Vazarin slots (tooth symbol) that made perfect sense with the luxury of 10 slots before but might ruin your 8 slot-build.

In a worst-case scenario you might lose one or two important polarisations and have to forma again to replace now useless polarisations. So you'll lose the time and maybe money you invested in the removed polarisations and spend even more time trying to fix a messed-up build.

The only acceptable solution

Tell us how much capacity we'll end up with after the patch and let us choose which polarisations/free slots to keep.

One easy way would be: let us swap polarisations and delete the outer left two slots.

I got all of the 27 Warframes, all formed several times - many of them 4 or 5 times. If this slot-reduction won't be done in a more thoughtful way this gonna hurt. Alot.

Edited by Toran

Wow,we will get our forma`s back.

Are you guys serious?

20 warframes,countless hours later i feel relieved.

They should just keep it 10 slots. They said they'll be adding skill augmentation mods. So losing 2 slots only to have to use em for these new mods won't be helping any1. Please DE listen to your players and just leave it at 10 mod slots and 1 aura. Why punish us for this change?

Unless we get 8 mod slots 1 aura and 2 skill augmentation slots then I'll be happy.

Edited by Makinar

I strongly dislike this change. The power of the existing system is just too amazing. With enough forma, many warframes benefit hugely from a single maxed out ability (from memory, I have one ability builds for: Nekros-Desecrate, Saryn-Miasma, Ash-BladeStorm, Frost-SnowGlobe, Excalibur-Blind, Rhino-IronSkin, Banshee-Silence, Loki-Invisbility, Loki-Disarm, Mag-Polarize, and Oberon-Reckoning).

Adding more abilities to such specialized builds doesn't actually help: the corrupted mods nerf them to uselessness.

So, we might get a potential U15 in less then 24h, and still no words from the devs on how they gonna remove ability slots...

Still worried I will loose polarized slots, and that refund forma, wont cut the loss and hours of play to rebuild these frames.

Still deeply hopping they prioritize blank slots to be removed, instead of old ability slots that were re-polarized.

The "It's Over Powered" argument is meaningless, as usual.  No one can objectively state what is or is not OP.  It's all subjective, entirely a matter of opinion, and relative.

The fact is that booster sales are a part of Warframe's business model and the more slots, the more forma, the more boosters, the more money DE makes, because energy capacity is limited.  So, arguing against more slots is arguing against DE making money, for no good reason.

In fact the entire "balance" argument is a fallacy for the same reason.  It is entirely subjective, not an ounce of objectivity to it at all.  What is more, it runs against Warframe's business model.

Power creep is the Warframe business model.  Power creep is inherent in the level system.  Anything with levels has power creep built right into it.  That means that all the Warframes, all their weapons, the weapon tiers, slots, potatoes, forma, boosters, the enemies, it's all power creep.  It's all purposely un-"balanced".  Power creep, un-"balance", is your choice mechanism for "difficulty" in Warframe and how DE makes money.  So, be kind to DE and support power creep and un-"balance", that is implemented ethically.

Edited by ThePresident777

The "It's Over Powered" argument is meaningless, as usual.  No one can objectively state what is or is not OP.  It's all subjective, entirely a matter of opinion, and relative.

The fact is that booster sales are a part of Warframe's business model and the more slots, the more forma, the more boosters, the more money DE makes, because energy capacity is limited.  So, arguing against more slots is arguing against DE making money, for no good reason.

In fact the entire "balance" argument is a fallacy for the same reason.  It is entirely subjective, not an ounce of objectivity to it at all.  What is more, it runs against Warframe's business model.

Power creep is the Warframe business model.  Power creep is inherent in the level system.  Anything with levels has power creep built right into it.  That means that all the Warframes, all their weapons, the weapon tiers, slots, potatoes, forma, boosters, the enemies, it's all power creep.  It's all purposely unbalanced.  Power creep, un-"balance", is your choice mechanism for "difficulty" in Warframe and how DE makes money.  So, be kind to DE and support power creep and un-"balance", but of the ethical kind.

Except you can't prove any of that.

Power creep is the Warframe business model.  Power creep is inherent in the level system.  Anything with levels has power creep built right into it.  That means that all the Warframes, all their weapons, the weapon tiers, slots, potatoes, forma, boosters, the enemies, it's all power creep.  It's all purposely unbalanced.  Power creep, un-"balance", is your choice mechanism for "difficulty" in Warframe and how DE makes money.  So, be kind to DE and support power creep and un-"balance", but of the ethical kind.

To be clear-

OP, UP and Balance is based on DE's intended design. They decide where the power floor (starting point) and power ceiling (fully forma'd) should be. They have every logical reason to pursue getting everything in line with that design.

Am I the only one who thinks that having 10 slots would give us the oportunity to use those tons of depreciated mods that do not fit anyones build actually? 

Most of my forma'd builds are ok the way they are, if I got extra slots I would gladly add a fun mod like heavy impact or even one of those resistance mods.

I dont really think those extra slots would make anything much more OP, even if people used it to increase shields, health or whatever. The real OPness comes from those corrupted mods, and they are so deeply carved into our builds that they would remain there even if we had only 4 slots. 

An answer to a common question:

Which 2 slots are being removed?

The slots being removed depends on where your Ability Polarities are located. For example, if you have swapped your Top Left default Ability Polarity slot somewhere in the middle of the Mod slot Layout, the position of your current Ability Polarity Slot is the one that will be removed.

If you haven't changed around the location of your Ability Polarity Mod slots, we are simply removing 2 of the 4, the top left and top right.

This question should answer concerns from players who have Swapped around Polarities and are worried we are 'just removing the leftmost column of slots' in a blanket script and not considering swaps.

Edited by DERebecca
More info.

@H3RRD0KT0R

No, 10 mod slots just means more room for the staple ones that add additional power strength (Blind Rage), duration (many builds cannot fit Narrow, Continuity and Constitution), survivability (Vigor, Quick Thinking, Steel Fiber, etc.), or bonus stats (Flow, Rush, Rage, etc.).  Trust me, there are plenty of useful mods to use over Heavy Impact or resistance.

The slots being removed depends on where your Ability Polarities are located. For example, if you have swapped your Top Left default Ability Polarity slot somewhere in the middle of the Mod slot Layout, the position of your current Ability Polarity Slot is the one that will be removed.

If you haven't changed around the location of your Ability Polarity Mod slots, we are simply removing 2 of the 4.

This question should answer concerns from players who have Swapped around Polarities and are worried we are 'just removing the leftmost column of slots' in a blanket script and not considering swaps.

This is TERRIBLE :o

So the scrip will target specifically ability slots, even if those have been re-polarized.

It's should only aim at existing ability polarities or blank ones, to reduce the trauma of having to re-polarize all the frames we own, yet again.

Cause many of us specifically polarized ability slots.

@DERebecca

So will it remove and refund any polarity slot in the leftmost ability slots, including innate ones to a frame?

Nevermind, I misread.  This is a horrible change and players should have 100% control over which polarity slots are refunded.

EDIT:  The last thing I want is 8 mod slots with 3 innate polarities and 3 forma invested giving me 20-30 wasted mod points.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

So the scrip will target specifically ability slots, even if those have been re-polarized.

It's should only aim at existing ability polarities or blank ones, to reduce the trauma of having to re-polarize all the frames we own, yet again.

gotta agree with this =/

If you haven't changed around the location of your Ability Polarity Mod slots, we are simply removing 2 of the 4.

So if we've done lots of formaing and swapping you'll remove whichever ones were originally ability polarities? And we have no way of knowing which ones those are?

No. The script will look for Ability Polarities if you have moved them elsewhere and prioritize removing those instead of your customized layout.

Super Simplified Example for those who have moved their Ability Polarities around:

I have 3 bowls. 1 Bowl has an Apple in it, it is the default Apple Bowl.

Picture 1: (A) ( ) ( ).

My mom looks at the bowl.

I move the Apple because I wanted to customize what bowl the Apple goes in.

Picture 2: ( ) ( ) (A).

My mom said 'No more Apples allowed!' My mom doesn't take the bowl that the Apple in it for picture 1 because it USED to be the Apple bowl, she takes the bowl from Picture 2 because that's where I moved the Apple.

BUT!

If I have removed ALL apples, she will simply grab the first bowl and refund me the Apple Slicer I spent to move the Apple at full cost. 

Another problem is that if you have invested 3 forma, the non-ability slot may be non-essential while the polarity in the ability slot may be critical for a build (maxed Narrow Minded/Quick Thinking, Blind Rage, Constitution, etc.).  Simply removing them can cripple a build, especially if we are losing 2 mod slots.  Imagine being left with 3 V or D slots and only 8 mod slots.  While dropping Vigor from a build seems logical, now the player would be forced to use 3 D polarity mods or pay a penalty for it.  Again, players should have 100% control over which forma'd slots are refunded.

EDIT:  Take an example where a players has 2 = polarity slots and has invested 3 forma.  They would be left with 2-3 innate polarity slots and 3 forma'd slots.  With 70-78 mod points and only 8 mod slots that is an average of 9.25 mod points per slot.  Most mods cost 9-11 so the result is a lot of unused mod points (in the range of 10+); that is crazy bad.  I would much rather be refunded for the polarity slots of my choosing to avoid this issue.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

One of the fun things I like about this game is being OP!  Having 9 or 10 mod slots instead of 8 doesn't make it all that more OP imho.  Just introduce a Tower 5 key to compensate. :)

Having 9 or 10 slots will actually increase the customizability and playability of the game even more.  Think of the variations you can do to your build with those extra slots.  Also, given DE's propensity to nerf things in the game over time, you'll be glad of those extra 1 or 2 slots!

My only hope is that DE will seriously re-consider this given the overwhelming feedback on the forum since the announcement.  I'm constantly surprised by the many passionate players in this game and hope that DE realizes and values this too.

Lol just what we need, T5 keys, even more armor and health scaling. That's great.

No. The script will look for Ability Polarities if you have moved them elsewhere and prioritize removing those instead of your customized layout.

Super Simplified Example for those who have moved their Ability Polarities around:

I have 3 bowls. 1 Bowl has an Apple in it, it is the default Apple Bowl.

Picture 1: (A) ( ) ( ).

My mom looks at the bowl.

I move the Apple because I wanted to customize what bowl the Apple goes in.

Picture 2: ( ) ( ) (A).

My mom said 'No more Apples allowed!' My mom doesn't take the bowl that the Apple in it for picture 1 because it USED to be the Apple bowl, she takes the bowl from Picture 2 because that's where I moved the Apple.

BUT!

If I have removed ALL apples, she will simply grab the first bowl and refund me the Apple Slicer I spent to move the Apple at full cost. 

This is good for me, cause I have still 2 apples in all builds xD

But for those who only have 1 ability slot or none, I believe they will like best if you remove blank slots, instead of prioritizing any other.

Thanks Rebecca, I'm much happier now.

Edited by 7grims