Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

What culture? Every car shares certain similarities. You guys can debate what makes a dragon a dragon all you want, the fact is that a much more concrete comparison exists in the anteater. Chroma looks like an anteater. Long thin snout, fat body, thick tail (more beaver like than anteater like). All he's missing is the tongue. 

The Tenno culture. The Skana's codex description refers to Tenno culture in the final sentence. Every car shares similarities just as every dragon might. 

Again, I refer to Smaug's artwork. Alternatively, since people are going on about the hoopla of "It doesn't look like a real Dragon", I eagerly await DE changing the design to something more like this, or these. Maybe if really lucky we'll get something like this.

You'll have a long white beard and no hair, wrinkled frail skin, horse voice, hump back, and need a cane to support you while you walk slower than a turtle and still be waiting for a change...

Edited by Jinryusai

The haters are hating cus it's not the Ultrabuff "Eats Rhinos every hour" giant cod pieced scaled dragon they wanted. And instead a Sea Dragon design. Aka a Sea horse. As it means they never will get that. Dragonframe is this, no second pass through.

People wanted a giant mythological ultra monster and forgot it still had to be a warframe. And got a play on words. They can be angry, they can complain. But any and all disappointment is on them.

Edited by TyrantBelial

Chroma. It is in the name. If you don't think of chromatic dragons, then you clearly had no fun in life (/s).

As to the argument that a more recognizable dragon is boring... by whose standards? I keep seeing this as one of the main points against using the d&d design. Honestly, i feel that would have been amazing! You have no idea how much time I spend in class thinking about ways dragons/humanoid dragons can be used in fun ways in rpg campaigns and storytelling. I would have found it fun, and i doubt I am the only one. So saying it is bad because it is "boring" is a weak argument since it is subjective. No saying, it is not a legitimate thing for some people, just that it is not exactly a proper argument.

But see bro you're projecting your own desires onto the design and that's what is taking away from the actual design. Your "d&d" design is the european version of a very universal archetype of mythology of many cultures which is why I said you can't leave the idea of a dragon to be set in stone. 

Dragons are the manifestation of a force in nature that is either meant to be a huge obstacle/problem that is recognized simultaneously as divine. That's why in Ancient Chinese mythologies/folklore the dragon was meant to be a force to be reckoned with however treated with respect could bring great fortune and pleasures to those individuals.

In other cultures the Dragon was a manifestation of "evil" and a menace to society and only a hero of great strength could destroy it.  That's why is imagined and often described as a huge armored lizard who breaths fire and smells vile and/or of death. Something oddly fetishized by many western cultures if you haven't noticed yet. This is why people like it and wanted to see it. 

And I say all of that because it does have an impact of how the image of dragons appear  in art over time. Sometimes it's very obscure /abstract, other times its concrete.

This time the dragon has been manifested by whoever had hands on the design to fit into the warfare universe but at the same time incorporates a lot of its traditional aspects. 

As to the argument that a more recognizable dragon is boring... by whose standards? I keep seeing this as one of the main points against using the d&d design. Honestly, i feel that would have been amazing! You have no idea how much time I spend in class thinking about ways dragons/humanoid dragons can be used in fun ways in rpg campaigns and storytelling. I would have found it fun, and i doubt I am the only one. So saying it is bad because it is "boring" is a weak argument since it is subjective. No saying, it is not a legitimate thing for some people, just that it is not exactly a proper argument.

Everything you've said and I've said and well...EVERYONE HAS SAID is all subjective.

I mean, I love these kinds of dragons:

Kalameet01.jpg

gaping-dragon-large.jpg

cxjGEcp.jpg

58630-201960-dragongodjpg-noscale.jpg

But these ones just make me sigh and think of them as just another enemy:

4-16-Dragons-Dogma-45.jpg?eaa32f

Dragons-1.jpg

Creature-HighDragon.jpg

2484491-dai_h.jpg

The voiceless can't won't for themselves so they don't.

Although statistics do matter...

The voiceless and minorities aren't exactly the same, though they do still matter. But let's not get into that because that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.

This thread is to clarify that Chroma doesn't resemble a dragon you've seen before because what a dragon looks like is not universal and is dependent on the culture you view. Chroma is meant to resemble the Tenno's depiction of a dragon. Not necessarily look exactly like a Tenno dragon.

A Tenno dragon may very well be your typical Eastern-styled dragon, as depicted in the dojo decorations. Would it be appropriate for Chroma to look exactly like an Eastern-styled dragon? Highly unlikely. It would be less appropriate for Chroma to bare resemblance to what the community seems to have expected of Chroma for whatever reason; a Western-styled dragon.

Edited by Xiusa

I'd just to reiterate now that this threat was really directed towards those extremists who not only dislike his design but are demanding/asking for a redesign and petitioning for it. 

And the people going out of their way to put the design down. 

I'm with them. I'd love for DE to announce that they're at least tweaking his design to make him look less like a fat anteater and more like whatever eldritch dragon they were going for. Shorten his snout some, put him on a diet, and either get rid of his stumpy wings and make them more prominent and I could get behind it. If we are extremists for our feelings and/or actions, you are an extremist for taking the exact opposite position.

Cosmetics referring to cosmetic items. That's what pretty much everyone I've met in the game refers to them as.

In that case, colour palettes can be considered cosmetic items i believe, as they are also visual enhancers of the warframes like sugatras, syandanas etc

If I say I don't care about how it does not look like Dragon, I'd be lying, but that not wher the problem lies however. Look at Rhino. He is not a Rhino looking frame, no horn and stuff, but I still likes his design. He has a clean cut design, giving you the expression of a proud man, a well built and tough body. It's simply nice. Excalibur looks nothing like Sword, but his design is nice, clean and sleek.

But Chroma? Forget Dragon. He doesn't even look like a Tenno. His body doesn't look half bad, but having an Anteater's nose?

Who thougt that would be a good idea? At least make that bigger so it seems like a croc's fang or something.

I'm with them. I'd love for DE to announce that they're at least tweaking his design to make him look less like a fat anteater and more like whatever eldritch dragon they were going for. Shorten his snout some, put him on a diet, and either get rid of his stumpy wings and make them more prominent and I could get behind it. If we are extremists for our feelings and/or actions, you are an extremist for taking the exact opposite position.

Being an extremist is never good.

The haters are hating cus it's not the Ultrabuff "Eats Rhinos every hour" giant cod pieced scaled dragon they wanted. And instead a Sea Dragon design. Aka a Sea horse. As it means they never will get that. Dragonframe is this, no second pass through.

People wanted a giant mythological ultra monster and forgot it still had to be a warframe. And got a play on words. They can be angry, they can complain. But any and all disappointment is on them.

Seahorse.

Does not.

Equal.

Dragon.

Let's keep in mind that all players have access to a few colors from the Classic Palette and I'm sure these Colors will be used in determining his energy elements. I seriously doubt DE would say "Electric damage is Purple so you need our Lotus or Daybreak or Twilight Palettes to use that specific element"

If however this is the case then I would absolutely agree with you, but if DE uses colors of a basic primary palette such as red, green, blue, yellow, etc, and those colors are freely available to players in the free colors they have, then I see no issue with this.

So now that the wings exist, they just don't fit your fancy?

Tell me more about how nothing pleases you just because it doesn't please you.

Oh please. Those 'wings' are tiny. And if it wasn't for you calling them wings I'd have continued to think it was meant to be some sort of hump.

Being an extremist is never good.

That depends entirely upon what you're doing, and what the cause is.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

1. He doesn't have a snout.

2. He's not fat.

3. He's a body of armor that is meant to flip and swing around while being in combat, this isn't an anime his design fits his function.

4. Then it takes an extremist to know one. I guess someone has to combat the people who get on these forums blasting everything without even letting them fully come to life first. 

So now that the wings exist, they just don't fit your fancy?

Tell me more about how nothing pleases you just because it doesn't please you.

Not once have said he didn't have wings but

pHxmBIa.png

This/These can hardly be called wings

Oh please. Those 'wings' are tiny. And if it wasn't for you calling them wings I'd have continued to think it was meant to be some sort of hump.

That depends entirely upon what you're doing, and what the cause is.

Oh please. The 'wings' are just part of the design as the ring around trinity's head is a halo. Why aren't you looking for her wings since she's clearly an angel. Hm. 

Everything you've said and I've said and well...EVERYONE HAS SAID is all subjective.

I mean, I love these kinds of dragons:

Kalameet01.jpg

gaping-dragon-large.jpg

cxjGEcp.jpg

58630-201960-dragongodjpg-noscale.jpg

But these ones just make me sigh and think of them as just another enemy:

4-16-Dragons-Dogma-45.jpg?eaa32f

Dragons-1.jpg

Creature-HighDragon.jpg

2484491-dai_h.jpg

Well, there's your creative bit right there! They wouldn't be enemies, they'd be allies. Dragons breathing fire and acid at your enemies! :P

Anyway, I'm tired of this debate. We both know it is not going to go anywhere constructive as far as the devs are concerned. So, congrats, you win? Suffice it say that my disappointment with this frame design, which I was hoping would be enough to get me interested again, has actually made me want to play less. Hopefully Volt prime will actually look like Volt, but at this point I'm not counting on it.

Edited by HuangZilong

Seahorse.

Does not.

Equal.

Dragon.

Yes it does. You might refuse this fact, but Japan calls them Sea Dragons. They're as much a dragon as the Komodo Dragon is. They are real life living dragons, and you will never get anything closer then that. It's the very basis for the pokemon Kingdra being a Dragon type.

I'm too guilty of this at some point, but it seems like its very easy for people to critique professional works in a very disrespectful ways. But on the other hand the same people can easily praise amateur's works which can be considered "objectively worse".

This is why i have trust issue with people, it seems like the art itself didn't matter. People only care in expressing their opinion, even if it's insulting or even if it's lying.