Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

On a visceral level, many fear that DE is slowly losing an identity that is cherished. One of Warframe's greatest challenges is to continue to evolve while honoring it's core themes.

The worry for some is that Chroma the Dragonframe is half-way to Bronyframe. I'm sure I'll get some agreement on this fear :).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Brony

I don't like that implication much I guess but you're right. There is a lot of that in the community.

People need to make up their mind. Would you want things like Typhus, which stray from the Ninja themes towards new horizons, or do you just want the game to make all the frames more similar and simply consist of different flavors of the ninja theme?

Personally I don't mind parting from the Ninja stuff a little bit. I don't believe it hurts anything as long as DE doesn't just do something purely silly. Limbo is probably the limit to how silly I'd be okay with at a maximum.

But hell. I'd love to see some Samurai themes or some Knightly themes. I don't mind it because the variety is nice so long as ultimately everything remains bad !.

Be it a Knight, a Chemist, a Dragon or a Samurai or even something bizarre like a Prism Slime I just don't mind. I just want it to be cool and have fun skills.

To be fair, half the fascination with dragons has been that it's a worldwide phenomenon. Almost every culture has some variation on it in their oldest mythologies - the Western Wyrms and Lindworms and Wyverns, the Eastern Lungs and Ryus, the feathered Coatls of South America... the dragon of Revelation in Hebrew mythology, the Babylonian dragons, the Egyptian god Apophis, the dragon from the Iliad and the Argonautica, etc. It's a universal symbol signifying different varieties of fear and respect, that several cultures came up with separately.

The other half is that they're awesome.

The scaly Death Stars of classical mythology, and who wouldn't want their own Death Star?

Only like noble, elegant dragons. Brute looking dragons are meh to me.

Want Silver Dragon Frame. And a Silver Energy color. 

On a visceral level, many fear that DE is slowly losing an identity that is cherished. One of Warframe's greatest challenges is to continue to evolve while honoring it's core themes.

The worry for some is that Chroma the Dragonframe is half-way to Bronyframe. I'm sure I'll get some agreement on this fear :).

We have a Pirate, a Stage magician, a Cowgirl, a Hellequin, and a freaking Necromancer..

and you are worried about a dragon.

NECROMANCERS BRO

I understand everyone has their own opinion about things.

but ultimately, it's all up to DE. we can say it doesn't fit the game..

but literally all DE has to say is:

"This thing you hate, it fits the game"

AND TADAA, just like that, it fits the game.

we are the people thinking:

"wtf god... what is up with these platypus things, or whatever those things in the deep sea are"

and DE/ god is like:

"deal with it"

Edited by BaIthazar

In my mind, I'm fairly certain we passed the point where people can complain about a potential 'bronyframe' when Horse-legs "Look at all the pretty explosions" Nova got a ponytail helmet.

Thus far we have a pirate, a harlequin, a magician, a paladin/druid, a necromancer (ish), a vagabond gunslinger, a BDSM berserker, an engineer, a juggernaut, and several frames with varying animal or insect motifs (especially the aforementioned frames), one of which has visual cues strongly alluding to the Phoenix.

There is no theme that cannot be made to fit in this game, visually or in gameplay. The only boundary is the one the devs themselves make. Just because you can't picture it doesn't mean it doesn't fit.

Edited by Archwizard

Dragon frame would be fantastic. i'm also curious as to what the damage types will be. like if we get elemental combos like radiation, corrosive, magnetic, etc. or if it'll just be fire, electric, toxic, and ice. i hope we get elemental combos because i'll just be running blast 24/7, but i'll understand if we don't get combos becuse why use toxic if you can use corrosive, why use fire when you can use blast. i suppose they're all different... i think i got my point across...

Edited by Oakenman

I don't like that implication much I guess but you're right. There is a lot of that in the community.

People need to make up their mind. Would you want things like Typhus, which stray from the Ninja themes towards new horizons, or do you just want the game to make all the frames more similar and simply consist of different flavors of the ninja theme?

Personally I don't mind parting from the Ninja stuff a little bit. I don't believe it hurts anything as long as DE doesn't just do something purely silly. Limbo is probably the limit to how silly I'd be okay with at a maximum.

But hell. I'd love to see some Samurai themes or some Knightly themes. I don't mind it because the variety is nice so long as ultimately everything remains bad !.

Be it a Knight, a Chemist, a Dragon or a Samurai or even something bizarre like a Prism Slime I just don't mind. I just want it to be cool and have fun skills.

i would love a chemist frame... but anyway. i don't mind straying from the "space ninja" thing either, i mean the people who became the warframes we're all judo expert ninja dudes, so it makes sense for some of them to have different themes. i personally feel like the warframes were made to emulate the users interestes and personalities. i'm pretty sure the lore says something similar to that... if someone is inclined to fight a certain way then it's only natural for their warframes to be modeled after their fighting style and interests.

i would love a chemist frame... but anyway. i don't mind straying from the "space ninja" thing either, i mean the people who became the warframes we're all judo expert ninja dudes, so it makes sense for some of them to have different themes. i personally feel like the warframes were made to emulate the users interestes and personalities. i'm pretty sure the lore says something similar to that... if someone is inclined to fight a certain way then it's only natural for their warframes to be modeled after their fighting style and interests.

the ninja thing is nothing more than an advertising slogan,plus a theme for one or two frames

thats it

the whole lore (especially with excal prime) proves that the tenno were made,and then trained MAYBE

We have a Pirate, a Stage magician, a Cowgirl, a Hellequin, and a freaking Necromancer..

and you are worried about a dragon.

NECROMANCERS BRO

I understand everyone has their own opinion about things.

but ultimately, it's all up to DE. we can say it doesn't fit the game..

but literally all DE has to say is:

"This thing you hate, it fits the game"

AND TADAA, just like that, it fits the game.

we are the people thinking:

"wtf god... what is up with these platypus things, or whatever those things in the deep sea are"

and DE/ god is like:

"deal with it"

I was just pointing out the challenge DE faces. They obviously are drawing from legendary archetypes, whether they are more modern like a gunslinger or pirates or mythical like ninjas and berzerkers. Thematically, this is a space super-hero game. Cohesiveness and change/choice are competing

Forces.

The heart of the matter is branding. Two examples with very different results:

Transformers: started with vehicles and weapons and graduated to animals and dinosaurs and is still successful to this day, by staying true to what made it great, even after multiple generations/incarnations.

G.I.Joe: started as good soldier dolls; graduated/diversified into GREAT action figures in the 80s like Cobra Commander, Snake-Eyes, Roadblock, Stormshadow, Destro, etc...got even crazier with characters like Zartan (chromatic, heat-sensitive action figure). But THEN...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra-La

Cobra-La happened, and an Alien snake king with overtly-themed snake-men, and a retconned Cobra Commander with dozens of eyes on his head...became cannon. And the universe collapsed on itself, because the Brand that made G.I.Joe great at it's core was lost/destroyed.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

I was just pointing out the challenge DE faces. They obviously are drawing from legendary archetypes, whether they are more modern like a gunslinger or pirates or mythical like ninjas and berzerkers. Thematically, this is a space super-hero game. Cohesiveness and change/choice are competing

Forces.

Transformers: started with vehicles and weapons and graduated to animals and dinosaurs and is still successful to this day, by staying true to what made it great, even after multiple generations/incarnations.

G.I.Joe: started as good soldier dolls; graduated/diversified into GREAT action figures in the 80s like Cobra Commander, Snake-Eyes, Roadblock, Stormshadow, Destro, etc...got even crazier with characters like Zartan (chromatic, heat-sensitive action figure). But THEN...

Cobra-La happened, and an Alien snake king with overtly-themed snake-men, and a retconned Cobra Commander with dozens of eyes on his head...became cannon. And the universe collapsed on itself, because the Brand that made G.I.Joe great at it's core was lost/destroyed.

im usually against this sort of talk..but i have to say i agree with you,as warframe goes on its losing all of that seriousness,

and thats a bad thing

anyone ever thought this new frame is gonna be a mele?

well,ill be willing to give this the benefit of the doubt,i dont see how melee based could work

if it comes with melee armaments that arent eastern themed,ill be happy

Edited by GunDownGrace

now that im  thinking maybe a frame that adds and extra element to weapons and/or allies powers will be kinda well strange and pushes away the syndicate mods that do so already ah well that was just my thoughts on it anyway  

Edited by kartoz101

How the hell is a Dragon themed warframe half-way to "brony" frame?

No srsly... pls explain.

------------

also...

Leprechaun frame... because you know..... rainbows

Ninja Leprechaun

Edited by WEREsandrock

I _want_ the Warframe designs to stretch to new horizons, really show off the crazy anachronism of the Orokin.

Which is one of the long list of reason I think Typhus is wrong for the game. Super-Generic bio-organic grimdark is _not_ a new horizon. I could name name _many_ anime shows or other games that Typhus would fit straight into with no visual changes. I can't think of a single one that Nova, Limbo, Banshee, Vauban etc would fit into. That uniqueness is important IMHO.

At this point Im inclined to believe that it is not a light - based frame due to them saying vets wouldn't expect it.  Judging by most responses in this thread, it seems you are expecting it.

I am however leaning more towards the possibility of a dragon - based frame for a few reasons (Soe of this may be a stretch so don't shoot me if I'm off):

- For any of you who have ever played D&D, the hint that color effects power type, the immediate thought points towards dragons.  for those who havent, In D&D all of their dragons have various attacks based on what type of dragon it is (which is of course denoted by its color)

- DE likes MTG - I can at least confirm Rebecca does at the very least (based on her mana tap reference and by looking 5 seconds at her twitter and seeing her talking about a Black-Red deck).  As any MTG lore fan knows whats going on in the current set, there are various dragons of different colors and thus different elements.  I'd be willing to bet that in their free time they play a few games even with eachother.  This leads me to think it wouldnt be much of a stretch to think they are also fans of D&D as well (heck I'd even wager they have a session in progress too).

- During the Devstream Rebecca mentioned that if she saw the correct answer shed say it was said but not who said it.  light frame was said multiple times as well as prism and rainbow.  However not too long after I typed in Dragon Frame she said someone guessed it, and said someone else guessed it shortly after another person typed in dragon frame as well.  Out of all the guesses I recall seeing in chat during the timeframe when she said shed call it out if someone guessed correctly and when she stopped looking to see if anyone guessed it, dragon was the only one I recall seeing no more than twice (my guess included).

TL;DR - It may be a stretch/ conspiracy theory in my head but I strongly believe that the new frame is a dragon warframe based on a few things i picked up not only on the stream but elsewhere as well.

I agree. Additionally they said this has been long requested by the community and if you look at long time community favorite Warframes then Dragon 2.0 is among the oldest ones and has a lot of likes. Furthermore we already have Zephyr that was inspired by fanart so this could be relatively certain that you are right about your conclusions in this case. Time shall tell.

To be fair, half the fascination with dragons has been that it's a worldwide phenomenon. Almost every culture has some variation on it in their oldest mythologies - the Western Wyrms and Lindworms and Wyverns, the Eastern Lungs and Ryus, the feathered Coatls of South America... the dragon of Revelation in Hebrew mythology, the Babylonian dragons, the Egyptian god Apophis, the dragon from the Iliad and the Argonautica, etc. It's a universal symbol signifying different varieties of fear and respect, that several cultures came up with separately.

Which begs a few interesting questions; how many things can develop in parallel in differing ways, yet still imply a common theme? How many coincidences are too many before there begins to be suspicion there may be a grain of truth to the stories?

Can't say, admittedly, but it would be interesting if we could find this trend. Is it a part of human nature? Convergent cultural evolution?

Personally, I still stand by the fact that a lot of people are really, really looking in the wrong place if they want 'hyper accurate real ninja' if that's what they're here for.

Fact is, Warframe is about as 'Properly Ninja' as Naruto, Ninja Gaiden, Strider, Shinobi, Tenchu...Sure. They've got 'Ninja' in their title, themes but considering how publicly known, distinctive or easy to detect these folks are, saying nothing of the insane body counts and such with nary a thought for not calling attention to yourself...Yeah no.

You want 'Properly Ninja', Mark of the Ninja by Klei. Stealth is necessary to survival, Killing is optional (yet fun) and very rarely useful, direct combat is going to get you brutally killed and...there is nothing known about the protagonist. They are simply 'The Ninja'. Best 'historically accurate Ninja with few liberties taken' I've seen, ever.

Warframe is following the 'Ryu Hayabusa and co.' school of Ninjutsu, and considering how...insanely over the top the games are about their foes, combat and the like...it shows. Warframe is admittedly something along the lines of 'Ninja Gaiden + Warhammer 40k'. It's over the top, Dynasty Warrior scale combat with...potentially intriguing lore pieces to play with.

It isn't a 'properly ninja' game, though as Tenno in a building, by the average session, are about as subtle as punching Caesar in the face with a Ballistic Fist.

How the hell is a Dragon themed warframe half-way to "brony" frame?

No srsly... pls explain.

Perhaps they're uncomfortable with the idea of a Qilin themed Warframe. Which is basically a chinese Dragon-Unicorn.

No, really.

Forces.

Nova- anti-matter?!

Vauban- Engineer?

Banshee- Sound??

Rhino- Heavy?

Excalibur, the original frame is sword themed. Mag is Magnetic themed. 

The ONLY ninja frames are ash and loki.

It's like when people complain about how the new pokemon are dumb when the originals had things like a rock, 2 birds, a monkey, a snake, and a pokeball.

Nova- anti-matter?!

Vauban- Engineer?

Banshee- Sound??

Rhino- Heavy?

Excalibur, the original frame is sword themed. Mag is Magnetic themed. 

The ONLY ninja frames are ash and loki.

It's like when people complain about how the new pokemon are dumb when the originals had things like a rock, 2 birds, a monkey, a snake, and a pokeball.

My theory is that the only reason people worship Gen 1 was because it was "THE FIRST"

if Gen1 had been like, the 3rd gen people would've hated it.

But yeah.

people need to realize that despite their claims of "everything needs to be a ninja"

the game doesn't actually have that many frames that can honestly be called a ninja

As a beta player i can say that we werent ninjas from the beginning.It was just for marketing

this^

wiki quote:

"A ninja or shinobi was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan."

emphasis on covertconcealed or secret.

but we run around with rocket launchers, and shotguns.

just look at Rhino,

His 3 is literally a loud Roar,

and his Ult is a massive destructive Stomp.

We have long since passed the point where we can complain about a frame not fitting the style of the game.

Edited by BaIthazar

Perhaps they're uncomfortable with the idea of a Qilin themed Warframe. Which is basically a chinese Dragon-Unicorn.

No, really.

huh,,, I think it looks neat.

And I really... REALLY detest certain rainbow colored horses.

I just think it's too soon to panic.

If it really turns out to be a brony frame.... then bye WF. (and I personally think this is very unlikely.... I say It'll be a light themed warframe.)

Until then, everything is just speculation.