Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Qynchou

It isn't a matter of white knights, it's people who are waiting for the frame to be released before condemning it.

Don't judge a book by its cover, especially when we've only seen the surface, and that there are things about Chroma that have yet to be revealed, possibly even visually/appearance wise.

For all we know, some of Chroma's powers may significantly alter his appearance.

That is true. But if it will be permanent change ? That is a question I want answer to. Because if the change is not permanent, then his "base" body is still looking more infested than anything else. At least there will be an alt helmet. Hopefully more dragon-like.

Aren't you doing the same exact thing by coming here and complaining about our opinions? 

There is nothing in the title of this thread that screams "LOOK AT ALL THE WHINERS". Nothing at all. You are not forced to read it. If you know what it is and what it contains then don't read it. 

You can't just delete everyone's opinions just because you are tired of reading them. 

Well let's see here. People have not seen him in-game. People have not seen how he can be customised. People do not know how his powers can affect himself. Yet they go on ranting (some have provided good arguments) and refuse to just simply wait and see. 

Is that unreasonable of them? Is it too much to ask them to wait and see the finished product before crying their displeasure?

You tell me.

No-one theorizing on powers? With such a broad spectrum we can choose from? No one cares even abit of the Lore behind him since he'll be released from a quest?

People still complaining on how he looks is just stagnating an otherwise potentially amazing hype thread for a new frame

Fine, suspect may have been a better choice of wording rather than know.

"what I already think" is the phrase you're looking for.

Basic logic: if there's even one counterpoint to a thing, then that thing is not true. In the case of something subjective like this, nobody could possibly have a true assessment because there will always be at least one person who disagrees.

It is actually greek

It's become a thing where there is a group of folks insisting that Chroma is based off of the Greek Dragon myths.

Yet they offer no direct link to a visual similarity. In truth Chroma has no particular visual similarities to a Greek dragon. 

The word Dragon comes from the Greek Draco, based on a constellation. The classic depiction of Draco doesn't have a particularly long, thin, tubular snout with a bulbous end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_(constellation)

Some folks insist that Cetus, the greek sea serpent (also a constellation), is a dragon. Yet traditional depictions of Cetus don't share Chroma's look either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetus

We could go on....delving into every Greek myth with a creature that could be considered a dragon...

but none of them show a visual similarity.

Even the name Chroma, which is a greek word related to color, which people suggest is a nod that Chroma is based on a Greek dragon...

is also the basis for the Chromantic Dragons from D&D which Steve sighted as an inspiration for this frames power design.

Well let's see here. People have not seen him in-game. People have not seen how he can be customised. People do not know how his powers can affect himself. Yet they go on ranting (some have provided good arguments) and refuse to just simply wait and see. 

Is that unreasonable of them? Is it too much to ask them to wait and see the finished product before crying their displeasure?

You tell me.

I am willing to sit and wait. I am not willing to let poor arguments stand. Nevermind calls for censorship. It goes against my principles. 

It isn't a matter of white knights, it's people who are waiting for the frame to be released before condemning it.

Don't judge a book by its cover, especially when we've only seen the surface, and that there are things about Chroma that have yet to be revealed, possibly even visually/appearance wise.

For all we know, some of Chroma's powers may significantly alter his appearance.

I think it's okay to judge the cover of a book by it's cover. Nobody here's trashing chroma's powers, we haven't used them.

If chroma has an ironskin-like power that makes it actually look like a dragon fulltime I'll be hapy to eat my words. However, since there are exactly 0 frames with powers that change the contours of the caster's body that doesn't seem partcularly likely.

No-one theorizing on powers? With such a broad spectrum we can choose from? No one cares even abit of the Lore behind him since he'll be released from a quest?

People still complaining on how he looks is just stagnating an otherwise potentially amazing hype thread for a new frame

The only info we have is off datamined information which is a big no no around here.

It's become a thing where there is a group of folks insisting that Chroma is based off of the Greek Dragon myths.

Yet they offer no direct link to a visual similarity. In truth Chroma has no particular visual similarities to a Greek dragon. 

The word Dragon comes from the Greek Draco, based on a constellation. The classic depiction of Draco doesn't have a particularly long, thin, tubular snout with a bulbous end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_(constellation)

Some folks insist that Cetus, the greek sea serpent (also a constellation), is a dragon. Yet traditional depictions of Cetus don't share Chroma's look either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetus

We could go on....delving into every Greek myth with a creature that could be considered a dragon...

but none of them show a visual similarity.

Even the name Chroma, which is a greek word related to color, which people suggest is a nod that Chroma is based on a Greek dragon...

is also the basis for the Chromantic Dragons from D&D which Steve sighted as an inspiration for this frames power design.

+1 For good research.

I think the big disconnect here is that people were expecting one dragon and they got many dragons.

In the fan concept, the whole frame is one dragon. Chroma is made out of design cues from bunches of different dragons. They're both dragon themed, but one is literally a dragon and one isn't, and that's where people are having a problem.

The only info we have is off datamined information which is a big no no around here.

+1 For good research.

That literally does not mean anything, that does not stop theorizing, nor does it stop people thinking about the potential of the frame. All you have is names, end.

I am surprised people still are on his looks after a 100+ page megathread. Just let it die already till we see him in game.

I am willing to sit and wait. I am not willing to let poor arguments stand. Nevermind calls for censorship. It goes against my principles. 

!) No calls of censorship were made. What was asked was a request for locking a thread on its way to becoming derailed. Nowhere do I see people actually discussing chroma. I see people dissing on his appearance.

2)You are willing to sit and wait, yet already you are here complaining? 

I think the big disconnect here is that people were expecting one dragon and they got many dragons.

In the fan concept, the whole frame is one dragon. Chroma is made out of design cues from bunches of different dragons. They're both dragon themed, but one is literally a dragon and one isn't, and that's where people are having a problem.

Theoretically that makes sense however Chroma has certain attributes that no dragon of any myth (as depicted by historical sources) has it is hard to suggest that some amalgam of many has lead to this particular outcome. It just doesn't follow through.

More reasonable to think that DE's art team was going more "unique", more "off the beaten path", more "weird" on purpose because that is part of their artistic style. Honestly, DE does a lot of that kind of thing. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But either way....it's easy enough to just acknowledge they went with their own thing and not try to say that Chroma has similarities to things it currently doesn't. 

Keep in mind, I am only talking about the appearance in the reveal. Whatever other visuals come out through powers and alt helmets will be judged on their own.

!) No calls of censorship were made. What was asked was a request for locking a thread on its way to becoming derailed. Nowhere do I see people actually discussing chroma. I see people dissing on his appearance.

People are discussing Chroma's appearance. The discussing involves it's potential inspiration, various critiques, and even leads into some talk on it's potential to change through power usage.

Edited by Ronyn

That literally does not mean anything, that does not stop theorizing, nor does it stop people thinking about the potential of the frame. All you have is names, end.

I am surprised people still are on his looks after a 100+ page megathread. Just let it die already till we see him in game.

200+ page actually. 

Why should I stop posting? Supporters don't stop posting so why should people that disagree stop posting?

If we want to start speculation about the powers I am all for it I just suggest keeping any datamined info out of the debate.

2)You are willing to sit and wait, yet already you are here complaining? 

So, you are only "discussing" Chroma when you are talking about his abilities? Why is discussion on his appearance off-limits?

Yeah I think that calling him a Greek dragon began the moment someone posted this pic of Ketos/Cetus in megathread, and called it a dragon :

Yeah makes sense. In which case, folks are using a classic depiction....but of a sea serpent.

While some insist that dragon and sea serpent are interchangeable  the Greek words for Dragon and sea serpent were not.

But hey at least there is some visual similarity between this pic and Chroma. So credit for that much at least. lol

So, you are only "discussing" Chroma when you are talking about his abilities? Why is discussion on his appearance off-limits?

No, you are discussing Chroma when you talk about how he comes together as an entire frame, not stay stuck on the same point ( in this case his appearance).

Why should I stop posting? Supporters don't stop posting so why should people that disagree stop posting?

If we want to start speculation about the powers I am all for it I just suggest keeping any datamined info out of the debate.

Funny thing about that.  Supporters don't stop posting because the non-supporters don't stop posting.  The cycle of whine, it's a beautiful thing.  So long as it's confined to a megathread so nobody has to see it.

As for his powers, any speculation I would make would be influenced by the datamined information, so I can't partake in that.